Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense?

I'm interested in what people think our starting front 7 will look like.

Base 3-4 Defense:
    DT- Brandon Deaderick
    NT- Vince Wilfork
    DE- Jonathan Fanene
    OLB- Rob Ninkovich
    ILB- Jerod Mayo
    ILB- Brandon Spikes
    OLB- Dont'a Hightower

Base 4-3 Defense:
    DE- Chandler Jones
    DT- Vince Wilfork
    DT- Kyle Love
    DE- Jonathan Fanene
    WLB- Jerod Mayo
    MLB- Brandon Spikes
    SLB- Dont'a Hightower

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense?

I could see it looking like that, except with maybe Scott as one of the outside backers in the 34.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

Vince
    Mayo
    Hightower

No "starting" front 7, only a consistent 3.  The other 8 will be in constant flux (by design)  I've a feeling we are in for something a little different this year.  An extraordinary attempt to find versatile players in the offseason makes me think they will be moved and subbed on a play by play drive by drive basis. 

I could be way off on this but I thought I'd throw it out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Pat's run a 3/4 base.  

Last year when they ran a primarily four man front it wasn't a 4/3 because there were only two linebacker's and 5 defensive players in the backfield, it was a 2/4/5 or a nickel.

My starting 3/4 assuming everybody is healthy and the rookies all prove themselves with the backups in ()

DE: Warren (Deaderick)
    NT: Wilfork (Brace)
    DE: Love (Fanene)
    OLB: Jones (Bequette)
    ILB: Mayo (Fletcher)
    ILB: Hightower (Spikes)
    OLB: Spikes (Nincovich)
    CB: McCourty (Arrington)
    FS: Gregory (Wilson)
    SS: Chung (Ihedigbo)
    CB: Dowling (Allen)

Warren may or may not make the opening day roster, he may likely retire again and sit by the phone. Bequette may start over Jones to start the season but reports on Chandler out of camp have been promising. Fanene if healthy could/should beat out Love for the "rush" end position.

If we ran a true 4/3 it would look something like:

DT: Wilfork, Warren
    DE: Deaderick, Fanene
    ILB:Hightower
    OLB: Mayo, Spikes or Nincovich

..with the same backfield as above.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

3-4:

LDE - Brandon Deadrick
    NT - Vince Wilfork
    RDE - Ron Brace
    LOLB - Trevor Scott
    MLB - Hightower
    MLB - Mayo
    ROLB - Chandler Jones

4-3: 

LDE - Jonathan Fanene 
    DT - Ron Brace
    NT - Vince Wilfork
    RDE - Trevor Scott
    LOLB - Jerod Mayo
    MLB - Brandon Spikes
    ROLB - Dont'a Hightower

I prefer the 4-3, it puts our best players on the field. Spikes sitting does not make our defense better. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense?:
    [QUOTE]3-4: LDE - Brandon Deadrick NT - Vince Wilfork RDE - Ron Brace LOLB - Trevor Scott MLB - Hightower MLB - Mayo ROLB - Chandler Jones 4-3:  LDE - Jonathan Fanene  DT - Ron Brace NT - Vince Wilfork RDE - Trevor Scott LOLB - Jerod Mayo MLB - Brandon Spikes ROLB - Dont'a Hightower I prefer the 4-3, it puts our best players on the field. Spikes sitting does not make our defense better. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

They won't field a 3/4 with two elephant position OLB's, Spikes or Nincovich will start on the weak/cover side.  

The 3/4 features our most talented players, we have more linebacker talent than DLine talent to be sure.

There will be an endless amount of hybrid defenses that BB will field to exploit offenses and to create favorable matchup's so the D may be unrecognizable at times but he will always have the 3/4 as his base.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Base 3-4 Defense:
    DE- Bequette (Call me crazy for his size but with large LB's behind him they go quicker more explosive DE's and Bequette has more ability then Deadrick imo)
    NT- Vince Wilfork
    DE- Jonathan Fanene
    OLB- Rob Ninkovich
    ILB- Dont'a Hightower
    ILB- Brandon Spikes
    OLB- Jerod Mayo

Base 4-3 Defense:
    DE- Trevor Scott
    DT- Vince Wilfork
    DT- Jonathan Fanene
    DE- Bequette/Jones (This is closer to a 1v1 situation so Jones might get the nod over Bequette)
    WLB- Jerod Mayo
    MLB- Brandon Spikes
    SLB- Dont'a Hightower

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense? : They won't field a 3/4 with two elephant position OLB's, Spikes or Nincovich will start on the weak/cover side.   The 3/4 features our most talented players, we have more linebacker talent than DLine talent to be sure. There will be an endless amount of hybrid defenses that BB will field to exploit offenses and to create favorable matchup's so the D may be unrecognizable at times but he will always have the 3/4 as his base.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Trevor Scott is an Elephant? Did not know that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions for Pat's Starting Front 7 for 3-4 and 4-3 Defense? : Trevor Scott is an Elephant? Did not know that.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Next time check for a trunk...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I agree with Mar...a few constants (Wilfork, Mayo etc) If BB has shown us anything over the years, he won't make it easy to decipher the defense. If we, a bunch of blogging schmoes, can analyze BBs defense then I'm sure NFL QBs and OCs can, too.

The edge players are what masks the defensive intentions. When you can put big edge players that could either be defensive ends or outside linebackers - the line between a 3-4 and 4-3 can be blurred. When Jones/Hightower/Scott/Carter*/Ninkovich/Cunningham put their hand in the dirt on the edge - it looks like a 4 or 5 man front. But they could either rush the passer, drop into coverage, or eat up blockers for run defense.

Hence, BBs "multiple defense" mentality.

The one thing that I keep thinking about Hightower is the flexibility he provides inside/outside. I can envision him on the outside setting the edge and occasionally rushing the passer. But then if he lines up with his hand down, he has the ability to drop into middle coverage from the snap and allow Spikes to blitz up the middle. QB sees Spikes coming and tries to make the quick pass over the middle, but Hightower comes out of nowhere for the pick.