Prepare yourself now, BB wont use either of his 1st round picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Prepare yourself now, BB wont use either of his 1st round picks

In Response to Re: Prepare yourself now, BB wont use either of his 1st round picks:
    [QUOTE]One's thing's for certain we will get no impact players on defense from the draft. We never do. And Bill is too cheap to pay the going rate for good free agents (even our own). In the meantime we have one of the worst defenses in the league- which should surprise no one given the "value" strategy employed by Bill. Let's play a game:Name 6 impact players Bill Belichick has drafted since he got here: 1) Asante Samuel. Late round pick. Good route jumper. Bad cover corner and no clutch gene. Maybe there was a reason he went in the fourth, behind Eugene Wilson. 2) Vince Wilfork. The best player on defense and hands down Bill's best ever defensive draft pick. Not a franchise player. But he's a legit All Pro. But here's the important part: Mid first round pick. I know, wacky concept: you can actually get talent in round one instead of training camp fodder that will gone in 6-24 months. It seems like Bill would be smart enough to figure this out. 3) Jarrod Mayo. Solid player. Second best player on this defense. Not exactly the superstar/franchise player that you would hope to draft when picking at 7 But much better than the second and third round jags Bill keeps trading for 4) Richard Seymour. Little bit of a dog and a bit overrated. But he was a perennial Pro Bowler and one of Bill's first picks. I don't think he had the cache or the stones to trade that pick. Today, if he had the 5th pick in the draft he'd probably trade it for two JAGs that he would cut in year two or three. 5) Devin McCourty. I mention him because his rookie year was phenomenal. People were comparing him to Revis. Unfortunately his second year was as bad as his first year was good. The jury's still out on him. I still think he was playing hurt last year. It's the only logical explanation for such a dropoff. But even if he is a bust at least Bill took a chance in round one. I don't have a problem with doing that instead of just flat out wasting picks. 6) Here's the depressing part. There is no number six.

RESPONSE: You're not being fair. Let's look at the complete picture of impact players that BB has drafted:

1.) 2000: QB Tom Brady (199th overall);

2.) 2001: DE Richard Seymour (6th overall), LT Matt Light (48th overall);

3.) 2002: TE Daniel Graham (21st overall), WR Deion Branch (65th overall), and WR David Givens (253rd overall);

4.) 2003: DE Ty Warren (13th overall), CB Asante Samuel (120th overall) OLB Tully Banta-Cain (239th overall);

5.) 2004: DT Vince Wilfolk (21st overall);

6.) 2005: LG Logan Mankins (32nd overall), QB Matt Cassel (230th overall);

7.) 2006: PK Stephen Gostkowski (118th overall)

8.) 2007: Used the 28th overall pick to trade for a 4th and a #1 in 2008. The 4th was traded for Randy Moss. Traded their 60th and 238th overall picks for Wes Welker;

9.) 2008: Used the #1 pick acquired in the above mentioned 2007 trade to select ILB Jerod Mayo (10th overall pick);

10.) 2009: Traded their 26th overall pick to Green Bay in exchange for the Pack's 41st, 73rd, and 83th overall picks. Used the 34th overall pick acquired in the Matt Cassel trade to select SS Patrick Chung, their 58th overall picks to draft RT Sebastien Vollmer, and traded their 73rd overall pick to Jacksonville for the Jags' 7th rounder, and 2nd round pick in 2010, and traded their 83rd overall pick to Tennessee for the Titans' 2nd round pick in 2010;

11.) 2010: Traded their 22nd overall pick to Denver, for the Broncos' 24th and 113th overall picks. Traded their 24th overall pick to Dallas for the Cowboys' 27th and 90th overall picks. They than used the 27th overall pick to select CB Devin McCourty. BB then traded his 44th (acquired last year from Jacksonville) and 190th overall pick to move up two slots to 42, which he used to select TE Rob Gronkowski. Traded his 47th overall pick (acquired in 2009 from the Titans) to Arizona for their 58th and 89th overall picks. BB then traded the 58th selection to Houston for the 62nd and 150th overall picks. He then used the two picks acquired from Houston to select ILB Brandon Spikes, and P Zoltan Mesko. Trader Bill then used the 113th overall pick acquired from Denver to select TE Aaron Hernandez. DE Brandon Deaderick was acquired with the 247th overall pick.

12.) 2011: Used the 17th overall pick aquired from Oakland in the Richard Seymour trade to draft OT Nate Solder       

Over a decade of drafting and I can't think of half a dozen impact players drafted by our GM thanks to his idiotic value system.

RESPONSE: Obviously, you have no idea what you're talking about. In addition to the above, the Pats have the 27th, 31st, 48th, and 63rd picks with which to continue to build their defending AFC championship team.

He hasn't done a thing defensively since he signed Rodney and got Vrabel. That's why our defense is in such dire straights.

RESPONSE: Mark Anderson and Andre Carter, last year alone. In the past, the Pats have brought in high-priced defenders such as Adalias Thomas and Rosevelt Colvin, with mixed results. It's harder to find impact defenders when you're constantly selecting at the end of every round. By trading down for a #1 over the next season, they might get lucky, like the Pats did in 2008, and land a top 10 pick...which allows you to get an impact defender.   

There are certain positions that you have to "overpay" for on defense. He seems to get this on offense. Brady is overpaid and Mankins is grossly, obscenely overpaid. Because that's what the market was. But on defense. Nobody.

RESPONSE: How are Brady and Mankins "overpaid"? Who on the defense would you have him overpay? His best two defenders, Vince Wilfolk and Jerod Mayo, are well paid.

Even a guy like Andre Carter, who we desperately needed and could afford, we let walk. To the Bills.

RESPONSE: Again, you show that you don't know what you're talking about. Mark Anderson left for Buffalo, because the Bills grossly overpaid him. Andre Carter is still an unsigned, UFA.

And let me tell you, everybody around here is obsessed with the Jets and that's crazy. They are the Jets. They are a joke. They aren't a threat to anybody.

RESPONSE: People here hate the Jets, and poke fun at them. But, no one here fears them.

But the Bills with Williams and Carter are shaping up to be exactly the type of team that always gives the Patriots fits. If you can get to Brady you don't need an offense. The double whammy here is that the Bills have an explosive offense. And we handed them Carter on a silver platter to help them beat us. Beautiful.

RESPONSE: Again, Carter is not a Bill. Talk about overpaid, exhibit one is Mario Williams. Do you really believe that the Bills are a better team than the Patriots?

It took me a while to learn my lesson. But I'm not going anywhere near the draft this year. I'll just check the next day to see how hard Bill s.c.r.e.w.e.d us. He has sucked every last drop of fun out the draft.  He will flip the two first rounders for future picks and then draft a couple of fullbacks a reciver and a another TE. Or something equally stupid. Maybe throw a WR, C and a kicker in there for good measure. In the meantime, our defense can't stop Eli frking Manning in a two minute drill. It' a a joke. What's even more insane is that noone seems to have a problem with it. Let's just cover the typical responses and save you guys some time. You're an idiot.

RESPONSE: If the shoe fits, wear it...LOL!!!  

This team is a perennial playoff contender. Most teams and fans would be greatful to have that kind of success you ungrateful doody head. You're a troll. You must be a Jets fan. Why don't you go follow the Redskins. They spend plenty of money. I'm sorry if I left  off any of the canned responses from the Belichick cult. But some of us have a problem with consistently coming up short. I don't see being number two as an accomplishment. Or fielding a team year after year that isn't talented enough to win a title. I don't see the "genius" of continuing to do the same thing repeatedly when it is proven to not work. Bill is a terrific coach. But the GM thing is not working out. We are two season away form the 10th anniversary of our last title. Brady's window is closing and there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency. It's just getting really discouraging to watch the same garbage year after year.

RESPONSE: In 2006, 2007, and 2011 the Pats came about as close to winning another title as a team can, without actually pulling it off. Criticize if you like...but BB has managed to keep the team on top despite being shackled by a salary cap, free agency, and consistently picking at the end of each draft round...save for some shrewd trades. While he always hasn't picked the best players available, he's put the Pats in a position to add good players each year through the draft, while rebuilding his team on the fly.
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots' draft board probably bears only a superficial similarity to the sports pundits' mock drafts.  I don't pretend to know who's hot (although I usually have an opinion of who's not).  However, if a top 15 player like Walrus Wilfork is hanging at 21, BB will want him and won't care what kind of trades the other teams offer.  If no particular glaring value appears, BB will be happy to trade down a bit at a small profit.

What Trader Bill has learned over the years is that a small trade down gives you a pick 2 or 3 slots lower.  I assume that a small profit will be made on the original trade, but then Trader immediately gets a second bite at the apple.  BB would trade down from #31 to #33 to #36 to #38 to #41 if four suckers appeared in order, and if the Patriots board had nothing much worth picking.  Later on, two or three of the picks could be combined to jump back up the board a bit in the third and fourth rounds.  I'm just going by past experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

Wow! you sure got me. Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about because I got  Mark Anderson and Andre Carter mixed up. Two scrap-heap players that played about 24 games for the Pats between the two of them.

I guess it's my fault for not being clear enough. My issue was with the defense. Yes, Bill had done a pretty good job on offense. Without looking I would guess he uses far more high draft picks on offense but I could be wrong. But my point still stands. There are almost no impact players on defense drafted by Bill.

Ty Warren- didn't include him because I forgot he was drafted so high. Took him a while to get going. But he developed into a pretty good player, Then when he got hurt a couple of times, Bill cut him.

I forgot Merriweather also. A lot of people would call him a bust. But at least Bill took a chance in the first round. That's all I'm asking for. Take a swing. I'm tired of ignoring positions of need and throwing picks away.

If there's anybody else I missed on defense feel free to correct me. Until then I stand by my point that, for the most part, Bill's draft have been awful defensively.

Obviously, you have no idea what you're talking about. In addition to the above, the Pats have the 27th, 31st, 48th, and 63rd picks with which to continue to build their defending AFC championship team.

Are you serious? In all likelihood, he will trade the two first rounders and/or waste the other picks on offense. And you are in complete denial if you think that the Pats are legit AFC Champs. They got to play Denver in round one. Drew the Ravens in round two. Who are about as mentally tough as the Chargers. And had that chip shot game tying field goal not sailed wide, we probably would have lost that game too. Tell me you feel confident about our chances in over time with that D on the field. Especially after what you saw in the Superbowl against a .500 team.

Thomas and Colvin were mistakes. But let's not act like that's something Bill routinely does. The list of expensive defensive free agents he's brought in here ends with those two.There is no number three.

Anderson is the perfect example of what Bill does that's so frustrating. Year after year he throws a truckload of garbage against the wall to see what will stick. 90% of these players end up being useless. Then you get one that wildly exceeds expectations. And he just lets him walk. A guy that has proven he can fit into the system and help the team- at a position we are very weak at. It's insane.

Do you really believe that the Bills are a better team than the Patriots?

Not now. Not in April. It's way too early to tell. But they are shaping up to be a nightmare matchup for us. Especially if our defense doesn't improve.

RESPONSE: In 2006, 2007, and 2011 the Pats came about as close to winning another title as a team can, without actually pulling it off.

No they didn't. It's fool's gold. In 2006 they lost because Bill (as he likes to do) left a gaping hole at a skill position. I'll give you 2007. They were a legit contender and should have won  it. They flat out choked in a huge way. But that was four years ago. And their defense has become progressively worse each year since

Criticize if you like...but BB has managed to keep the team on top.

On top of what? Since 2004 they have lost playoff games to the Broncos and softy Colts. They lost two Superbowls to two of the most mediocre teams to ever play in a Superbowl. They have failed to get out of round one of the playoffs twice and missed the playoffs completely.

Yes, they win 12 -14 games every year. So what? The fact is they don't have the talent defensively to win when it matters most. The value system is not working. And the results prove it. You can stomp your feet and call names like a three year old if you want. But it's not going to change anything.

It's time for Bill to admit that what he's doing is not working and start operating with a greater sense of urgency and far less ego and self interest.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ws04ed. Show ws04ed's posts

Roll the Dice, the draft is a crap shoot. The only BB draft regret I have is not getting Clay Mathews when Bill traded down or correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm sure somebody will. So we shall all be be prepared when he trades the No. 27 for 2 seconds next year, or a third second this year or a combinaton of the trades he will do is beyond what anybody including Mel Kiper can phathom. Any impact player on D will be gone by 27 do you think we could get Hightower at 31.                      Then in Billl we trust 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I have been as big a criticizer as anyone about bb's success in the draft, especially on defense, and especially since 2006. However, there is a method to his madness. Although he makes most of us cringe on draft day by trading down, out or seemingly selecting a player we don't know much about, he stays true to what he believes a players true value is, and doesn't get wrapped up in the emotion of it all. When you combine what he has done during the draft with what he has done in FA, BB the gm is among the leagues elite here. No questions. Yes, he has whiffed a ton on defense since 2006, especially with his round 1-3 picks, but he has also added a good, young base of talent on the defense to continue to build around. The challenge is defenses cannot be rebuilt on the fly, with a team continuing to win....but, this is exactly what BB has done. My only true beef with what he has done as a gm was probably waiting just a tad too long to start the rebuilding process on defense in full force. The 2006 AFC championship game was proof of that. He has also "wasted" a number of top picks on defense, but that happens. His success rate drafting is still high. I think his defensive whiffs are magnified because he has made more picks in rounds 1-3 than any team since 2006.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Lower picks might not be that easy to trade with the rookie wage scale. Look at the Ras I pick... If any pick BB has ever had that was the pick I would have bet my house on that would be traded away. He even had a whole night to shop it.

Edit:  if we're going to trade picks please be with Miami.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: Prepare yourself now, BB wont use either of his 1st round picks:
    [QUOTE]bb may want to trade of bouth first rounders, but it may be difficult to find partners for the trade, unless he's willing to take 2014 first rounders. at least it will be difficult to find partners who will land him picks between 31 and 48. i think the best value is between 34 and 42. before bounty-gate, i thought saints could be takers for one of the 1st rounders. but now, i am not sure they even have the 2012 or 2013 chips to play the trade game. even before bountygate, saints' pick is after 48 anyway. oakland overpaid for their qb. there's another team out of chips to buy a higher pick. atlanta might be possible but their second roudner is after 48. cle, min are already in perfect spots to get their backup QBs. was and dal maybe. but then they're also in a weird spot. my guess is they also want trade their high picks for more picks as their cap situation will tie their hands from signing expensive FAs. the next set of potential partners are mia and buf. i don't see in-div trade as likely to happen.  looks like a lot of people will be happy that nwe will be forced to pick at 27 and 31. the question is if people will be happy with who bb picks.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Excellent points! Thanks for taking the time to break down potential partners, I hadn't thought that far ahead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

I agree with almost everything df5 had to say. Especially the part that BB has taken the fun and excitement out of the draft. I don't have the number handy but how many times has BB traded down and got us 2 first round picks only to trade down again and get 2 first round picks for the next yr. It's ridiculous really. I've said it all along, if there is a concensus on a guy that he's going to be good, BB won't get close to picking him. If he's iffy or never been heard of by most, he'll take him so he can get the credit of finding the diamond in the rough. How many TE does a team have to draft? how many 6 and 7 round DB and DL must he try before one sticks. Why not take some pride in defense around here for once. I love having a great offense, but it would be fun to stop someone when we needed to for once 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

For all of you criticizing the 2009 and 2010 defensive drafts go back and look and tell me besides Clay Matthews which defensive player you would have drafted where the Patriots picked.  I'm even giving you the ability to judge these players on what they've done at the NFL level.  Go ahead and name me the defensive superstars you would have drafted those seasons.  Connor Barwin is probably the best name on the list.  You people who criticize BB act like there are all these defensive superstars he refuses to draft, but name them.  Other than Clay Matthews there is nobody that would have been there at the Patriots pick that would qualify as a game changing player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with almost everything df5 had to say. Especially the part that BB has taken the fun and excitement out of the draft. I don't have the number handy but how many times has BB traded down and got us 2 first round picks only to trade down again and get 2 first round picks for the next yr. It's ridiculous really. I've said it all along, if there is a concensus on a guy that he's going to be good, BB won't get close to picking him. If he's iffy or never been heard of by most, he'll take him so he can get the credit of finding the diamond in the rough. How many TE does a team have to draft? how many 6 and 7 round DB and DL must he try before one sticks. Why not take some pride in defense around here for once. I love having a great offense, but it would be fun to stop someone when we needed to for once 
    Posted by goosedaddy[/QUOTE]

I do agree that watching the draft now that BB is GM is really not much fun.

However, I definitely disagree with your comments about the Tight ends. Belichick is almost always a couple of what is going to happen in the league. He was trying to create a deadly two TE combo that he knew would create matchup nightmares for teams. No one would argue that they have the best TE in the league & maybe the 3-4th best TE in the league. I can't ever recall any team having a pair of TE's this talented on the same team and both being so young.  

So point being, this is not an exact science. Every GM misses on some players and hits on others. If you're going to be critical of a miss on Clay Matthews, you need to give credit to creating one of the most deadly TE combo's in the history of the NFL and doing it in the same draft.

One other point. It seems to me since Pioli left the Pat's drafts have been  better from top to bottom. Now we really don't know if BB is the reason why or is it the new top draft guy. I can't recall his name.

2011 Picks:

1st Round – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    2nd Round – Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
    2nd Round – Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
    3rd Round – Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
    3rd Round – Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    5th Round – Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    5th Round – Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
    6th Round – Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas
    7th Round – Malcolm Williams, CB, Marshall

1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) – Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    3rd Round (90th Overall) – Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
    4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    6th Round (205th Overall) – Ted Larsen, C, NC State
    7th Round (208th Overall) – Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
    7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
    7th Round (248th Overall) – Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
    7th Round (250th OVerall) – Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

Last 2 Years with Pioli as GM:

2a Pat Chung, SS, Oregon
    2b Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    2c Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
    2d Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston
    3a Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina
    3b Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida
    4 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State
    5 George Bussey, OL, Louisville
    6a Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii
    6b Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky
    7a Julian Edelman, WR, Kent State
    7b Darryl Richard, DT, Georgia Tech

1 Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
    2 Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado
    3a Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan
    3b Kevin O’Connell, QB, San Diego State
    4 Jonathan Wilhite, CB, Auburn
    5 Matt Slater, KR, UCLA
    6 Bo Ruud, ILB, Nebraska

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

hey guys:

I just heard about some things that were passed at the meetings in FL:

1.  The Patriots must participate in a play in for the playoffs:  They must play, in their prime, the 70s Steelers, the 80s 49ers and the 90s Cowboys, with the 85 Bears thrown in as a wild card. The Pats must then play only the two best teams in the NFL, regardless of conference, for their AFC championship to be considered legitimate
    2.  They must win each of those games by at least 21 points to secure the legitimacy of said championship
    3.  BB must wear sackcloth and ashes (with approved NFL apparel) in order to atone for his failure to draft Clay Matthews.
    4.  BBs only criteria in the draft is to make it fun for the fans.  The heck with team building let's leave that to the skins and jets

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Wow! you sure got me...But my point still stands. There are almost no impact players on defense drafted by Bill. Ty Warren- didn't include him because I forgot he was drafted so high. Took him a while to get going. But he developed into a pretty good player, Then when he got hurt a couple of times, Bill cut him.

RESPONSE: He was a top notch 3-4 DE, until his career was derailed by a hip injury. He couldn't play anymore. That's why BB cut him.

I forgot Merriweather also. A lot of people would call him a bust. But at least Bill took a chance in the first round. That's all I'm asking for. Take a swing.

RESPONSE: BB did, here...and, unfortunately, missed

I'm tired of ignoring positions of need and throwing picks away.

RESPONSE: Why take a run at a defensive player when you don't think he can play? That said, BB has passed on several guys in the last few years who could play...OLB Clay Matthews, OLB Connor Barwin, DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, and OLB Brooks Reid. But, in exchange for passing on Matthews with the 26th overall pick, the Pats got the 41st, 73rd, and 83rd overall picks in 2009...and flipped one of those to get Gronk, in 2010. 
         You can make a complaint about Sheard and Reed, who the Pats passed on to take CB Ras-I Dowling. But, BB still went defense with Dowling.   

If there's anybody else I missed on defense feel free to correct me. Until then I stand by my point that, for the most part, Bill's draft have been awful defensively.

RESPONSE: Please be specific. What particular draft are you complaining about? As I demonstrated in my previous post, a general complaint about his drafts doesn't seem to hold water.

Obviously, you have no idea what you're talking about. In addition to the above, the Pats have the 27th, 31st, 48th, and 63rd picks with which to continue to build their defending AFC championship team. Are you serious?

RESPONSE: Dead serious. Other than the Cincinnati Bengals, what other AFC contender is in better shape to improve their team in the upcoming draft than the Patriots?

In all likelihood, he will trade the two first rounders and/or waste the other picks on offense.

RESPONSE: I think that BB will, and should trade down, if given the opportunity (in other words, if he's presented with a good offer). Waste picks on offense? Did the Pats "waste" picks on OT Nate Solder, TEs Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez? Did they"waste" their 60th and 110th overall picks in 2007 on Wes Welker and randy Moss?  

And you are in complete denial if you think that the Pats are legit AFC Champs. They got to play Denver in round one. Drew the Ravens in round two. Who are about as mentally tough as the Chargers. And had that chip shot game tying field goal not sailed wide, we probably would have lost that game too. Tell me you feel confident about our chances in over time with that D on the field. Especially after what you saw in the Superbowl against a .500 team.

RESPONSE: The Pats have finished with the best conference record in the AFC over the past two years, winning 14 games in 2010, and 13 games last year. Illegitimate AFC champs?? Denver beat last years' defending AFC champ Steelers, before getting blown out by the Pats. The Ravens aren't mentally tough?? They sure looked tough to me when, two years before, they buried the Pats, 33-14, in the 2009 play-offs. The Ravens were a solid club, that beat the Steelers twice in the regular season...and gave the Pats all they could handle.
         As far as that missed FG goes, that's part of the game. Should we call the Patriots' 2001 championship team "illegitimate" because of the "Tuck Rule" game? Should we call the 2003 Patriots' championship team illegitimate because they barely beat Tennessee in the play-offs, and barely beat the Jake DelHomme led Panthers in 2003? Should we call the 2004 Patriots' championship team "illegitimate" because they barely held on to beat the Eagles?   

Thomas and Colvin were mistakes.

RESPONSE: Colvin was not a mistake. Though he wasn't a superstar with the Patriots, he gave them several solid years.

But let's not act like that's something Bill routinely does. The list of expensive defensive free agents he's brought in here ends with those two. There is no number three. Anderson is the perfect example of what Bill does that's so frustrating.

RESPONSE: Who would you have had the Pats bring in? How would that have affected the way the Pats build a team every year? The Pats' strategy is to pass on stars, and develop a strong 53 man roster by adding reasonably priced, quality players. That strategy has led to three championships, and five SB appearances over a decade. What teanm has done better? I suggest that you read Patriots' Reign.
         Mark Anderson is a perfect example of what BB does. But, how do you view the addition of Anderson "frustrating", in light of how he played last year?  

Year after year he throws a truckload of garbage against the wall to see what will stick. 90% of these players end up being useless.

RESPONSE: Hogwash. Please back up that BS claim with facts.

Then you get one that wildly exceeds expectations.

RESPONSE: If you get one guy off the scrap heap every year who "wildly exceeds expectations", you're doing a great job! In 2011, BB had two, Andre Carter and Anderson.

And he just lets him walk. A guy that has proven he can fit into the system and help the team- at a position we are very weak at. It's insane.

RESPONSE: The Bills overpaid paid Anderson to leave. They gave the 29 year old situational pass-rusher a 4 year, $19.5mil. deal, with $7.9mil. guaranteed...but all to be received in year one. The $7.9mil. is a ton of money to pay to a situational pass-rusher (previous reports that Anderson had received $27.5 mil. over 4 years were erroneous:    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/27/2906144/buffalo-bills-mark-anderson-contract-details). The Bills could afford to overpay because they had a ton of cap room. It would not have been prudent for the Pats to have paid him that kind of money, especially considering their cap situation. 

Do you really believe that the Bills are a better team than the Patriots? Not now. Not in April. It's way too early to tell. But they are shaping up to be a nightmare matchup for us. Especially if our defense doesn't improve.

RESPONSE: The Pats will handle these rebuilt Bills. Mario Williams is vastly overrated, and was vastly overpaid. 

RESPONSE: In 2006, 2007, and 2011 the Pats came about as close to winning another title as a team can, without actually pulling it off. No they didn't. It's fool's gold. In 2006 they lost because Bill (as he likes to do) left a gaping hole at a skill position.

RESPONSE: Nonsense. The Pats were jobbed by the refs in Indy, costing them another SB appearance, against a relatively weak Chicago Bears team, QBed by the immortal Rex Grossman. 

I'll give you 2007. They were a legit contender and should have won  it. They flat out choked in a huge way. But that was four years ago. And their defense has become progressively worse each year since

RESPONSE: Four years ago is a long time??

Criticize if you like...but BB has managed to keep the team on top. On top of what? Since 2004 they have lost playoff games to the Broncos and softy Colts.

RESPONSE: Again, you need to get your facts straight. The Pats won the SB in 2004. They had a off-year in 2005, and lost to the Broncos in Denver that year. In 2006, they were jobbed by the refs in Indy.

They lost two Superbowls to two of the most mediocre teams to ever play in a Superbowl.

RESPONSE: You're grossly underrating the Giants. In 2007, they outplayed and nearly beat the then 15-0 Pats in the last game of that season. They then went on to beat (9-7) Tampa, 24-14, at Tampa, (13-3) Dallas, 21-17, at Dallas, (13-3) Green Bay, 23-20 ot, at Green Bay, before edging the Pats, 17-14, in Arizona. 
         In 2011, the injury ravaged Giants played perhaps the toughest schedule in the NFL. After winning their division with a 9-7 record, they went on to crush the (10-6) Atlanta Falcons, 24-2, in NY; pounded the mighty (15-1) Packers, 37-20, in Green Bay; survived the (13-3) San Francisco 49ers, 20-17 ot, in San Francisco; before edging the Gronk-less Pats in the SB, 21-17.  

They have failed to get out of round one of the playoffs twice and missed the playoffs completely. Yes, they win 12 -14 games every year. So what? The fact is they don't have the talent defensively to win when it matters most. The value system is not working. And the results prove it.

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Fans of other teams would kill for the decade that BB and the Pats just had.

You can stomp your feet and call names like a three year old if you want. But it's not going to change anything. It's time for Bill to admit that what he's doing is not working and start operating with a greater sense of urgency and far less ego and self interest.

RESPONSE: It is you who are whining and "stomping your feet like a three year old", my friend. But for a combination errant Brady throw and a dropped Welker pass, would we even be having this conversation?
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prepare yourself now, BB wont use either of his 1st round picks : I do agree that watching the draft now that BB is GM is really not much fun. However, I definitely disagree with your comments about the Tight ends. Belichick is almost always a couple of what is going to happen in the league. He was trying to create a deadly two TE combo that he knew would create matchup nightmares for teams. No one would argue that they have the best TE in the league & maybe the 3-4th best TE in the league. I can't ever recall any team having a pair of TE's this talented on the same team and both being so young.   So point being, this is not an exact science. Every GM misses on some players and hits on others. If you're going to be critical of a miss on Clay Matthews, you need to give credit to creating one of the most deadly TE combo's in the history of the NFL and doing it in the same draft. One other point. It seems to me since Pioli left the Pat's drafts have been  better from top to bottom. Now we really don't know if BB is the reason why or is it the new top draft guy. I can't recall his name. 2011 Picks: 1st Round – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado 2nd Round – Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia 2nd Round – Shane Vereen, RB, Cal 3rd Round – Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU 3rd Round – Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas 5th Round – Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU 5th Round – Lee Smith, TE, Marshall 6th Round – Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas 7th Round – Malcolm Williams, CB, Marshall 1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty , CB, Rutgers 2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski , TE, Arizona 2nd Round (53rd Overall) – Jermaine Cunningham , OLB, Florida 2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes , LB, Florida 3rd Round (90th Overall) – Taylor Price , WR, Ohio 4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez , TE, Florida 5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko , P, Michigan 6th Round (205th Overall) – Ted Larsen , C, NC State 7th Round (208th Overall) – Thomas Welch , OT, Vanderbilt 7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama 7th Round (248th Overall) – Kade Weston, DL, Georgia 7th Round (250th OVerall) – Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State Last 2 Years with Pioli as GM: 2a Pat Chung , SS, Oregon 2b Ron Brace , DT, Boston College 2c Darius Butler , CB, Connecticut 2d Sebastian Vollmer , OL, Houston 3a Brandon Tate , WR, North Carolina 3b Tyrone McKenzie , LB, South Florida 4 Rich Ohrnberger , OL, Penn State 5 George Bussey , OL, Louisville 6a Jake Ingram , LS, Hawaii 6b Myron Pryor , DT, Kentucky 7a Julian Edelman , WR, Kent State 7b Darryl Richard , DT, Georgia Tech 1 Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee 2 Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado 3a Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan 3b Kevin O’Connell, QB, San Diego State 4 Jonathan Wilhite, CB, Auburn 5 Matt Slater, KR, UCLA 6 Bo Ruud, ILB, Nebraska
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE]

IF you guys want fun/entertainment maybe you should go to the movies!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with almost everything df5 had to say. Especially the part that BB has taken the fun and excitement out of the draft. I don't have the number handy but how many times has BB traded down and got us 2 first round picks only to trade down again and get 2 first round picks for the next yr. It's ridiculous really. ...
    Posted by goosedaddy[/QUOTE]

bb is more concerned about building a competitive team than trying to entertain pats fans. i am so glad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosedaddy. Show goosedaddy's posts

everyone seems to be jumping on the comment about fun, like we don't care who he gets, just want to eat popcorn and watch. Fun(party) has nothing to do with it, it's fun when he picks the best player available at that moment and stops trying to be cute. Two RB last year, what was that, when we had three and no one hurt, you could get RBs anytime and the best ones lately have been free agents. To spend two 2's or a 2 and a 3 on RB, when they'll ride the bench and we can't stop anybody. Thats just bad GM. Without TB last 2 years, we'd have been 8-8 or 9-7. It'll take a while, but you'll soon find out it was TB, not BB

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

2010 Draft- the draft where I finally believed that Belichick foound THE perfect system and tactic- withstanding here...  Bill Belichick's Draft WILL go something like this:

1st Round Pick #1:  BB WILL select a Pro-Bowler with this selection
    1st Round Pick #2:  BB WILL trade down, and somehow manage to r#pe the trading "partner" into giving up their next 17 Second Round Selections (thiis year included), along with their following year's 1st Round Pick
    Rounds 2-6:  Patriots (minus this year) usually have somewhere in the vincinity of 17 picks every year in this 5 round rage.  He'll wheel & deal and jump around in this area, and BB will eventually haul away some 6th rder from someone else the following year, along with 14 Draft Picks...wherein EACH and Almost every single one down to the last man, WILL be ranked somewhere bordering around the final edges of being rated the 10,000th best rated draftee(s).  99% WILL fail...who won't will be:
    Rounds 7 and UDFAs: Belichick WILL unconditionally find 2-3 very serviceable players here, each one, twice as good as the entirety of the garbage he threw away his 100 Rounds 2-6 selections on.

There's your draft...  IF you simply look at it in terms of the sheer monumental number of draft picks Belichick manages to accumulate in genius fashion, It's f'ing ASTOUNDING the manner and method and wasteful way that he spends them on players of lesser talent from the very 1st pick of Round 2, right up to the very end.  I'm simply NOT joking...it's reality.  Conceivably, IF ya had Bill Belichick spend all his time as the person in charge of the gambling chips and betting, while NEVER allowing him 1 lookt at any of the playing cards past that very first hand....You could prop up a blind monkey to throw darts at the draftees on the big board- OR just select EVERY single time, without fail and regardless of position, THE top-rated BPA currently on the big board at the given instant of one of these 6 million Rounds 2-6 selections Belichick solidifies...

And you'd field a Super Bowl Champ every single year.  Seriously... 

Belichick trading down is genius...  Belichick in Rd #1 is RARELY any issue of failed opportunity or choice.  Belichick from Selection #33 and onwards- Pathetically Bad when viewed in terms of simple numbers and strength of opportunities in this area...  Really, really, realllly, really, really BAD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

right because your superior scouting skills on players in college far exceed those of the GM/coach wo has been doing it for over 40 years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

of course it will tell you things:

you may have forced them to pass because you built a big lead
    or the fact that 58% of the opponent's plays were pass plays
    you had 40 sacks
    you were a +17 in turnovers even with your QB giving up 14 INTs
    you were middle of pack in points allowed

but why let facts get in the way of a good distortion?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]right because your superior scouting skills on players in college far exceed those of the GM/coach wo has been doing it for over 40 years
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

Have you been on here to read the specific players & prospects that I've highly regarded in my written posts within the past 5 years prior to each and every single draft...? 

They have.  They have been VASTLY superior choices given their performances on the pro field of play.  Once again, I am very sorry to those who follow the NFL Draft by clicking on this forum along with 2 minutes of links the 1 month or 2 prior to an NFL Draft...  No, this is not purely a "100% cr#psh##t game of chance."  This is the mentality of: "Considering the fact that I don't know sh#t...and since Bill Belichick is A HOF NFL Football Coach- Therefore it must be the case that: BB's specific individual talent evaluations and draftee choices, Are UNDOUBTEDLY better than every person inside and obviously outside the NFL...always."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here's my first take on what IS a very feasible draft scenario for NE...  See who on here offers up a better 1, and see IF Belichick makes this par come draft day 2012 ("from the 2012 Draft...picks only" thread):

<Just like this year I've loudly voiced Andre Branch's and Peter Konz's absurd level of telent prior to 99.9% of everyone on here, Last year I voiced my fav 2 RBs being Roy Helu, and Evan Royster-both Washington pick-ups, along with my 2 WRs of Greg Salas then Austin Pettis-oddly both selected by St. Louis; Tackle-Gabe Carimi-whom Chicago rushed back from injury after he simply totally solidified the right side of their O-Line in the 1st few games; 2010?  My top-rated CB-and people WILL back the fact I said it- Devin McCourty; Loved Brandon Spikes and loudly laughed and still do every time people bring up his slow track 40 and how it relates (it doesn't) to his pass d- That year I dubbed Belichick's Draft Class "THE Best NE Draft in a decade or more...probably longer"; When did I write that thread?  A: 1 Day post draft />

Here:

1A. Peter Konz OC Wisconsin (6'5 314lbs). notes: Had "only" 19 reps on the combine bench...which is good, Because the Combine don't mean sh#t to me.  I spend about 15 minutes looking at the combine...and about 15 seperate days seeing how you performed at the East-West shrine games and Senior Bowl games and practices verses other top prospects (still N/A w/ Konz, a Junior)...on the actual field (w/ another 15 months on these guys on-field filmwork and season profiles, stats, etc.).  Konz is a stud.  If the lone flaw in your entire repertoire of skills, work, physique, intangibles, is that ya shoulda lifted the 225 benchmark maybe 3 more times...G'head, take a pass on the most certain 1st rder to be a 10 year certified starter & 6 year pro-bowler on your team.  Given Konz's massive OC size, he's still just textbook in his game @ Center-Kneebend, crazy awareness (youtube-just check out how much his head's on a constant "swivel", during pass protection...  Man I luv those Wisconcin O-Linemen (Belichick, you s#n-#f-a-b#tch for passing on Carimi last year...you'll see <well, unless the bears literally kill Carimi's career themselves...which could certainly be the case given Chicago's current state>).

1B. Andre Branch 4-3 DE/3-4 WOLB Clemson (6'4 259lbs).  2011 Stats: 77TTs, 17TFLs, 10.5 Sacks, 1 FF/2010 Stats: 54TTs, 8.5TFLs, 5 Sacks, 6PDs.  4.62 40. notes: This guy's freakishly disruptive.  It's not just simply that he is so quick in his closing speed, it's that when he does, he LEVELS people...VERY strong & Powerful considering his agility and quickness (there's some good youtube of Branch one can watch...really, he just flings people or rips them down with 1 arm).

2A. Trade for 2nd Rder in 2013 + Early 3rd Rder in 2012 (not a real hard sale, considering this selection is sm#ck-dab in the center of Rd #2).

2B. Derek Wolfe DE/DT Cincinatti (6'5 295lbs). 2011 Stats: 70TTs, 21.5TFLs, 9.5 Sacks, 2 FFs.  4.94 40, Bench: 33 Reps. Notes: Excellent senior bowl performance, In practice 1-1 drills, and game.  Ability to play 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE (with a very minor offseason strength & conditioning for a few more lbs, program), + as a NT in a 3-4 on 3rd and long passing downs (As he did in college, and if BB sees fit).  Very versatile and very disruptive.

3A-(trade). Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State (6'1 207lbs). 2011 stats: 74TTs (59 solos), 5 TFLs, 9PDs, 2 FFs.  4.58 40 (quick note: No 2012 Safety Prospect ran a sub 4.5 40 this year).  notes: Final decision between Martin & ND's Smith.  Martin has far more & better experience at Safety + Better overall production (faced the likes of Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Landry Jones, Nick Foles- As the QBs in his conference/teams he played).  Martin is like a very rich man's James Sanders, wherein I'd compare Smith to a very poor man's Rodney Harrison...Harrison's getting all the hype, and even with Martin's excellent on-field performance during the Senior Bowl and career in college, He has injury concerns, causing someone of his FS skills, to drop this far down.  Yet, very fast, and very fluid in pass defensing while patroling deep centerfield, excellent student, and doesn't shy away from contact for a FS in the run game and excellent open-field tackling abilities.  Excellent FS Instincts in pass coverage (excellent angles, and just exceptional body control to break up passes) while not short-changing his running-game/contact areas <extremely secure open-field tackler, and is a big and willing hitter) <as is far less often the case at this spot, and those whose try position is that of Free Safety).

3B. Audie Cole MLB (w/ potentials at both 3-4 SILB & WILB) + 4-3 OLB (experience at both OLB spots) NC State (6'4 246lbs). notes: This guy is ALWAYS around the ball, Needed to add some more bulk, and apparently quickly did before Combine, although it dropped his usual lightning quick on-field speed to a "slow" combine 40 of: 4.72. 2011 Stats: 108TTs, 13.5TFLs, 5.5 Sacks, 4FFs, 4PDs.  Extremely versatile, and superb instincts with very high motor.

4.  Trade for 5th (or 6th, if must) rder in 2013 + 5th rder in 2012 (again, not a very hard sale here given past draft precedents).

5-(trade). Akiem Hicks NT/DT Canada (6'5 318lbs). notes: 5.21 40, bench: 26 reps. Maybe 1 year older than most, after leaving LSU in '10 and signed to play in Canada. Very quick for his size.

~~~

Total Take:  Peter Konz, Andre Branch, Derek Wolfe, Markelle Martin, Audie Cole, Akiem Hicks + 1 2nd Rder in 2013 & 1 5th/6th Rder in 2013.  Emphasis on gametape, On-field performance, Prospects on the Rise, and those with extreme Versatility to play different spots in different schemes.

RE: The NFL Draft...  Gimme your best shot, about WHAT-ever ya want to test me with...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

sorry but your posts are not only unreadable gramatically but also logically, so I just ignore them to save myself the time, knowing there is nothing in them.

and btw every team misses on VASTLY superior choices every year

5 SBs in 10 years not enough; how many is adequate?  Every year?  you just expose your total and utter (never mind pathetic) ignorance with assertions like these

you are another of those "run it more" guys, but can't say how much more you want it run.

BTW nice cut and paste job on the draft.  How much do those descriptions cost?

so no I didn't read your post, no matter how much alleged wisdom there is in there

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

no just trying to disprove your hyperbole of a 75% passing rate against this d. 

you should try some facts sometime.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]sorry but your posts are not only unreadable gramatically but also logically, so I just ignore them to save myself the time, knowing there is nothing in them. and btw every team misses on VASTLY superior choices every year 5 SBs in 10 years not enough; how many is adequate?  Every year?  you just expose your total and utter (never mind pathetic) ignorance with assertions like these you are another of those "run it more" guys, but can't say how much more you want it run. BTW nice cut and paste job on the draft.  How much do those descriptions cost? so no I didn't read your post, no matter how much alleged wisdom there is in there
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

There's a certain point of ignorant and pointless counter-questions, where- When one reaches this, the highest of plateaus...I feel like congratulating them. 

No, I don't charge myself when cutting and pasting my own analysises I've come away through following the draft every week, 12 months a year, and every year; No, I don't actually HAVE a specific number in mind in terms of the exact number of additional running attempts, to best offer NE's Offense a bit more balance...How's "4" sound (It should be "4", every game, every match-up...from this point onwards until the end of time=4).  5 Superbowls out of 10 years...that IS good, very good- And so as a completely unrelated point, Bill Belichick can STILL use his specific player draft selections and targets in a much wiser manner through Rounds 2 and onwards, granted the incredibly high number of selections he's able to obtain within those rounds (very evident during the last 6-7 year draft span).  No...Given Bill Belichick's NUMBER of Draft Selections verses the product and worthwhile draftee he comes away with post Rd #1...no, the notion that "every team misses on VASTLY superior draft selections" is wholly, entirely, and utterly wrong.  Ratio-wise- Numbers of selections to Numbers of productive NE Patriots Players that get hauled in...No- Bill Belichick's ratio of "hits" verses "numbers of selections avaliable" (my entire first point)- IS sub-par...it is very, very, BELOW even Average.  He is a HOF Coach...brilliant at accumulating extra draft picks, usually stellar at evaluating NFL Veteran Talent, Incredible, innovative, and obsessively ever-motivated at developing innovative & novel NFL schemes & tactics, and ways to improve and heighten the abilities and best skill-traits found in whatever current personell he has to work with...

In terms of Drafting Productive Players given this incredibly high number of Draft Selections from Pick #33 on up...he svx.

Make sure your next counter is worth anyone's time to bother to read.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]2010 Draft- the draft where I finally believed that Belichick foound THE perfect system and tactic- withstanding here...  Bill Belichick's Draft WILL go something like this: 1st Round Pick #1:  BB WILL select a Pro-Bowler with this selection 1st Round Pick #2:  BB WILL trade down, and somehow manage to r#pe the trading "partner" into giving up their next 17 Second Round Selections (thiis year included), along with their following year's 1st Round Pick Rounds 2-6:  Patriots (minus this year) usually have somewhere in the vincinity of 17 picks every year in this 5 round rage.  He'll wheel & deal and jump around in this area, and BB will eventually haul away some 6th rder from someone else the following year, along with 14 Draft Picks...wherein EACH and Almost every single one down to the last man, WILL be ranked somewhere bordering around the final edges of being rated the 10,000th best rated draftee(s).  99% WILL fail...who won't will be: Rounds 7 and UDFAs: Belichick WILL unconditionally find 2-3 very serviceable players here, each one, twice as good as the entirety of the garbage he threw away his 100 Rounds 2-6 selections on. There's your draft...  IF you simply look at it in terms of the sheer monumental number of draft picks Belichick manages to accumulate in genius fashion, It's f'ing ASTOUNDING the manner and method and wasteful way that he spends them on players of lesser talent from the very 1st pick of Round 2, right up to the very end.  I'm simply NOT joking...it's reality.  Conceivably, IF ya had Bill Belichick spend all his time as the person in charge of the gambling chips and betting, while NEVER allowing him 1 lookt at any of the playing cards past that very first hand....You could prop up a blind monkey to throw darts at the draftees on the big board- OR just select EVERY single time, without fail and regardless of position, THE top-rated BPA currently on the big board at the given instant of one of these 6 million Rounds 2-6 selections Belichick solidifies... And you'd field a Super Bowl Champ every single year.  Seriously...  Belichick trading down is genius...  Belichick in Rd #1 is RARELY any issue of failed opportunity or choice.  Belichick from Selection #33 and onwards- Pathetically Bad when viewed in terms of simple numbers and strength of opportunities in this area...  Really, really, realllly, really, really BAD.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]
    Spot on Laz. Belichick sets himself apart from the rest acquiring draft picks. It's the actual picks themselves(#33 and onwards) that haven't always measured up. Two 1sts, two 2nds, two 3rds last year and two 1sts, two 2nds this year is sheer genius. He just needs to hit on a couple of these.

Even so, he got the team one big play away from another championship. I can somewhat understand how people here are getting impatient.