Preseason Prognostications?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Re: Preseason Prognostications?

But the one thing I really like about the 3-4 is that it is really good at protecting the lead because then you can drop all four LB into zones, play 8 men zone coverage. You can't do this with the 4-3.

This is why we are so good when leading at the half. I don't know the record now but I remember that around '06 we were 42-1 when leading at the half.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In Response to Re: Preseason Prognostications?:
    [QUOTE]But the one thing I really like about the 3-4 is that it is really good at protecting the lead because then you can drop all four LB into zones, play 8 men zone coverage. You can't do this with the 4-3. This is why we are so good when leading at the half. I don't know the record now but I remember that around '06 we were 42-1 when leading at the half.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

Can't think of any game in recent memory where we blew an overwhelming lead at the half ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]But the one thing I really like about the 3-4 is that it is really good at protecting the lead because then you can drop all four LB into zones, play 8 men zone coverage. You can't do this with the 4-3. This is why we are so good when leading at the half. I don't know the record now but I remember that around '06 we were 42-1 when leading at the half.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

You can peel off a DE and simulate that. SF was the king of running that tweener defense with Chuck Haley. When I look at SD's current iteration of the 3-4, it looks more like a glorified 4-3 to me anyway, because Merriman just isn't a 100% OLB.

It isn't just protecting the lead either. It is protecting a small area. A quality 3-4 should post better redzone digits because of the versatility it offers. 

But you are 100% correct. The Belichik defense is, at its core, conservative.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Preseason Prognostications? : Can't think of any game in recent memory where we blew an overwhelming lead at the half ...
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Agree.  With the exception of the 2007 season, being a Pats fan is not recommended for those with heart conditions.  Maybe we win most of the games where we lead at the half, but it sure seems like we do our best to make sure that no matter what our halftime lead is, we end up winning by 3 points.  Again, 2007 was the exception.  And then there's that little Indy game...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]MVP, I am shocked at that number. They really aren't a blitzing defense. And I don't remember that many 5-6 man rushes going on. Maybe some were zon blitzes where they peeled a DE? On the other point. The confusion is that 2-gap is an assignment and not a scheme. You can be in 3-4 without having your nose 2-gap. Blitzing usually precludes covering two gaps because a player is blitzing through one.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE] I was at the Super Bowl, and the Giants Blitzed alot more than usual. More than in Week 17 against the Pats. They ran alot of single coverage on Moss to try and put more pressure on Brady. Spagnuola did a great job of disguising his Blitzes. 35% still seems high. But the Giants absolutely Blitzed more than you think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Preseason Prognostications? : You can peel off a DE and simulate that. SF was the king of running that tweener defense with Chuck Haley. When I look at SD's current iteration of the 3-4, it looks more like a glorified 4-3 to me anyway, because Merriman just isn't a 100% OLB. It isn't just protecting the lead either. It is protecting a small area. A quality 3-4 should post better redzone digits because of the versatility it offers.  But you are 100% correct. The Belichik defense is, at its core, conservative.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Understood but no DE is going to have the mobility and athleticism of a LB so it won't be a true zone coverage.

SD runs the modern Phillips one gap version that depends on aggressive linemen with LB support, so agreed that it is more of a modified 4-3. If Merriman was in our system, his injury would have far more consequences, but out in SD he is the second wave.

Sections
Shortcuts