Pretty ecstatic about the offseason roster except for...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pretty ecstatic about the offseason roster except for...

The lines! Especially the interior (DT, OG). We have one of the most immobile QBs, pressure up the middle is bound to blow up every play...We also will have a porous run D if we lose Wilfork along with Spikes...pass rush could use some help too.

Would not bother me one bit to see the 1st 3 picks of the draft all on the line. Outside of the line, Im pretty happy with the overall roster. A backup linebacker and te would be nice too...but you can't get everything.

And I say offseason roster because the the pieces of the puzzle don't matter if they don't match. With the expectations that will come with this team, how they gel in the offseason and season will be as important as ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: Pretty ecstatic about the offseason roster except for...

In response to dapats1281's comment:

The lines! Especially the interior (DT, OG). We have one of the most immobile QBs, pressure up the middle is bound to blow up every play...We also will have a porous run D if we lose Wilfork along with Spikes...pass rush could use some help too.

Would not bother me one bit to see the 1st 3 picks of the draft all on the line. Outside of the line, Im pretty happy with the overall roster. A backup linebacker and te would be nice too...but you can't get everything.

And I say offseason roster because the the pieces of the puzzle don't matter if they don't match. With the expectations that will come with this team, how they gel in the offseason and season will be as important as ever.

Agree we need some new assets on the O line and D line....pass rushers and big guys in case VW is done in NE...Guards on the O line, so Connoly can move over to Center because Wendell is too small to play Center.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Agree we need some new assets on the O line and D line....pass rushers and big guys in case VW is done in NE...Guards on the O line, so Connoly can move over to Center because Wendell is too small to play Center.

Guard and DT are tops for me. Another pass rusher would be extremely beneficial, but DT and Guards are absolutely musts...If they dont get another dlineman...I hope Revis and Browner can provide enough coverage where we can generate pressure elsewhere (Collins or Hightower)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Guard and DT are tops for me. Another pass rusher would be extremely beneficial, but DT and Guards are absolutely musts...If they dont get another dlineman...I hope Revis and Browner can provide enough coverage where we can generate pressure elsewhere (Collins or Hightower)

Even the better corners get exposed when there's no pass rush. Definitely need help on both lines but I'd go DL first.

Wonder if BB has his sights set on any of the FA linemen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

Even the better corners get exposed when there's no pass rush. Definitely need help on both lines but I'd go DL first.

I'd be surprised...the pass rushers like Allen seem to be looking for 10 mil a year. Outside of that, Phillips is the only guy I can think of...and he's really nothing special

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

With Vollmer back the OL should stabilize somewhat and they do okay in that regard in the draft. A pass rusher is the bigger concern. They don't come cheap and you most likely need to trade up to get a good one in the draft.

Still, the new approach so far has netted what should be dramatic improvements from the dumpster diving approach of the past.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

I'd be surprised...the pass rushers like Allen seem to be looking for 10 mil a year. Outside of that, Phillips is the only guy I can think of...and he's really nothing special

Allen might as well get a billboard and say he's looking for a payday then he will mail it in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

With Vollmer back the OL should stabilize somewhat and they do okay in that regard in the draft. A pass rusher is the bigger concern. They don't come cheap and you most likely need to trade up to get a good one in the draft.

Still, the new approach so far has netted what should be dramatic improvements from the dumpster diving approach of the past.

The new approach has been a refreshing change and long overdue. I'm greedy and would like to see them get a couple guys that can get after the QB. I'm not sure if there're any pass rushers left in FA besides J. Allen and wonder if he would be a big upgrade over Nink at this point in his career. I think Nink is more of a 3 - 4 linebacker than a 4 - 3 end. $$$ questions on Allen also as to how much he's looking for.

I'd like to see them get either a solid DE or push the pocket DT in FA and another D lineman in the draft.

Still hoping that Armstead can give them something this year but that's a big if.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OG,C, DT, OLB, SS and TE. Teams not done yet, but this has been an interesting start minus the #75 BS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

Plenty of strong interior offensive linemen left in FA and then the draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You can't sign OL men, they're expensive as foop.

You have to draft those guys. A good OG can be had in round 4, a good DT can be had in round 2 and a great C can be had in round 1.

It's better to sign skilled position guys who have already proven they could do it in the NFL over drafting them. As far as DE goes, if Buchanon returns to his 270 pound college frame this year, he's my sleeper pick for best PURE pass rusher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

You have to draft those guys. A good OG can be had in round 4, a good DT can be had in round 2 and a great C can be had in round 1.

It's better to sign skilled position guys who have already proven they could do it in the NFL over drafting them. As far as DE goes, if Buchanon returns to his 270 pound college frame this year, he's my sleeper pick for best PURE pass rusher.

Good post. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like this new approach because at least the guys we added should contribute and that's one less thing they have to worry about. Before we would sign 5 cheaper guys in free agency and think...ok, that's fixed now we need to draft so and so...when in reality those guys weren't any good and we ended up having to find undrafted free aqents later in the season to fill in for those mistakes.

Right now I look at it like we have something fixed, now we can add to the team through the rest of free agency and the draft. We still have other guys that can be extended or restructured that will create room. I like what we've done this free agency - I wouldn't of said that last year or the year before.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

As far as DE goes, if Buchanon returns to his 270 pound college frame this year, he's my sleeper pick for best PURE pass rusher.

I have been wondering if this kid will take the 2nd year step this year and emerge as an effective pass rusher. Not too many people talk about him, and I've noticed some flashes of serious talent from him. Is this his year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

As far as DE goes, if Buchanon returns to his 270 pound college frame this year, he's my sleeper pick for best PURE pass rusher.

I have been wondering if this kid will take the 2nd year step this year and emerge as an effective pass rusher. Not too many people talk about him, and I've noticed some flashes of serious talent from him. Is this his year?

Agree with you guys about Buchanon showing some talent early in the year. He looks like a DE should: tall, rangy and can get around the end.

Buchanon was in an early season rotation at DE but then barely saw the field the rest of the year. Did BB get ticked about him missing outside containment at times or was he simply not progressing as much as the coach wanted?

Off seasons are about hope for the new year and maybe he can gain some weight and strength and be a real contributor this season. If Buchanon can make that "second year leap" it's another piece of the puzzle toward an improved team.

I was hoping players like Jermaine Cunningham and Justin Francis would do the same but they never panned out. Let's hope this kid doesn't fall in this catgory.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

run D (and WR) is the least of my worries - but I do share your concerns about the OL and DL. 

1) The OL needs depth to keep Brady upright, and minimize hits, pressures, hurries, and sacks.  The reasons are obvious.  It's not good when good pass rushing teams can get to brady with 3 or 4 guys without additional help.

2) The Pass rush needs work.  Glad we now have added Revis and Browner, but it will make no difference of the Patriots have a poor pass rush.  Clearly, the Patriots aren't cutting it.  I hope BB is not putting all of his eggs in one basket thinking Collins is going to be his savior.

3) rush D is the least of the defenses' worries - altho with Wilfork now asking to be released - the Patriots do need a DL who can take up two bodies and can tackle. If we can get push up the middle that'd be icing on the cake

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:

run D (and WR) is the least of my worries - but I do share your concerns about the OL and DL. 

1) The OL needs depth to keep Brady upright, and minimize hits, pressures, hurries, and sacks.  The reasons are obvious.  It's not good when good pass rushing teams can get to brady with 3 or 4 guys without additional help.

2) The Pass rush needs work.  Glad we now have added Revis and Browner, but it will make no difference of the Patriots have a poor pass rush.  Clearly, the Patriots aren't cutting it.  I hope BB is not putting all of his eggs in one basket thinking Collins is going to be his savior.

3) rush D is the least of the defenses' worries - altho with Wilfork now asking to be released - the Patriots do need a DL who can take up two bodies and can tackle. If we can get push up the middle that'd be icing on the cake

Sounds great, MileHighMike/Rico/Bustchise/Bustify.

lmao

Wrong again, Rusty.  Still confused I see...lmao.

New user name?  Not surprised...... Laughing

back on iggie u go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Yes, but what if Brady chokes leading the offense again in January? Will you YET again make excuses for him and/or not acknowledge his poor play?"

For my part I have said that Brady has been outplayed in big games for a number of years now. But in some cases he has played well enough to win. Doesn't mean he couldn't have played better. 

What some of us find tiresome, however, is:

Your refusal to acknowledge Brady needs help to get over the top and that losses incurred are team losses. You may not care about the WR position but BB clearly realizes Brady needs some decent players in skill positions thus the courting and signing of WRs this offseason. You could stand to listen to Belichick on this one. The skill position options Brady had in the Denver game last year were simply not good enough for a championship level team. Just about everyone in the western hemisphere could see that but you. Sorry, but Brady isn't good enough at this juncture to make it work with just anybody. He needs some talent around him. 

He's still plenty good enough to win a Super Bowl under these circumstances. 

Has it ever occurred to you that even great QBs play worse in the post season when defenses get better? See: Peyton. 

In general, you should expect a championship level QB to play worse in the postseason for this reason. And yes, there will be at least one game usually where said QB needs a lot of help to win. And probably a game where he has to put the team on his back (though Wilson didn't really have a game like that this last postseason). 

It's been a very strong offseason for the Pats so far. I tip my hat to Belichick for pushing some urgency onto the situation realizing Brady's shelf life is limited now. I was hoping for the same and he has delivered. 

And yeah, we need O-line help but I think BB has always shown he can find or draft the pieces there. 

Pass rush is the lingering concern but we really just need one more strong guy there. 

This has been a very strong offseason and I understand why our trolls (UD6, Jints, Mikey etc) are coming a tad unglued.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Yes, but what if Brady chokes leading the offense again in January? Will you YET again make excuses for him and/or not acknowledge his poor play?"

For my part I have said that Brady has been outplayed in big games for a number of years now. But in some cases he has played well enough to win. Doesn't mean he couldn't have played better. 

Your refusal to acknowledge Brady needs help to get over the top and that losses incurred are team losses. You may not care about the WR position but BB clearly realizes Brady needs some decent players in skill positions thus the courting and signing of WRs this offseason. You could stand to listen to Belichick on this one. The skill position options Brady had in the Denver game last year were simply not good enough for a championship level team. Just about everyone in the western hemisphere could see that but you. Sorry, but Brady isn't good enough at this juncture to make it work with just anybody. He needs some talent around him. 

Has it ever occurred to you that even great QBs play worse in the post season when defenses get better? See: Peyton. 

In general, you should expect a championship level QB to play worse in the postseason for this reason. And yes, there will be at least one game usually where said QB needs a lot of help to win. And probably a game where he has to put the team on his back (though Wilson didn't really have a game like that this last postseason). 

It's been a very strong offseason for the Pats so far. I tip my hat to Belichick for pushing some urgency onto the situation realizing Brady's shelf life is limited now. I was hoping for the same and he has delivered. 

And yeah, we need O-line help but I think BB has always shown he can find or draft the pieces there. 

Pass rush is the lingering concern but we really just need one more strong guy there. 

This has been a very strong offseason and I understand why our trolls (UD6, Jints, Mikey etc) are coming a tad unglued.

I never once thought Brady needed "help over the top" leading us to SBs and playing so methodically well from 2001-2004 in the postseason.

I mean, read that again. He has not played well for 2 straight games into a SB since 2004.

You can act like it means little or gloss over it all  you want, but Brady has to step up for once and stop acting like he's above everyone else.

I hope the Revis and Browner moves help slap Brady around from a mental standpoint.

Travis Bean... Are you the Turd aka Deadhead aka Rusty ??????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I heard the same thing about CB's too, esp last year. Guess that's out the window though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They still need a starting DT, a 3rd DE, interior OL depth, a C, and maybe a RG depending on what they do with Connolly. The OL depth and DT I would go for in the draft. Most likely 3rd DE too but I would love to grab a starting C or RG in FA and move Connolly to C or RG depending on who you sign.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

I never once thought Brady needed "help over the top" leading us to SBs and playing so methodically well from 2001-2004 in the postseason.

I mean, read that again. He has not played well for 2 straight games into a SB since 2004.

You can act like it means little or gloss over it all  you want, but Brady has to step up for once and stop acting like he's above everyone else.

I hope the Revis and Browner moves help slap Brady around from a mental standpoint.

Travis Bean... Are you the Turd aka Deadhead aka Rusty ??????

bump

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Some good comments here....

We do need to make the O line dominant and the D line/front seven dominant. That means improve C and RG and 2nd blocking TE. That means finding THE stud to anchor the DL. He could play anywhere on the line - likely able to play more than one spot if he is THE stud. Certainly we need to get better at DT. And we need more depth at LB (ILB or OLB) and at DE.

Vollmer will help with the O line. A solid blocking TE as a #2 TE or as a starter if Gronk is hurt will help some. But mostly we need to take a big step up at C and perhaps upgrade at RG. Canon may be that RG but I dont know yet. Connolly might be the C but I would like to see a first class young center to take us forward for 6-9 years.

At DE or OLB in a 3-4 what do any of you think of Trent Murphy? TO me he looks like a realllly good player I would love to have. Great lateral speed. Good straight line speed. Good football head. Flexibility, multi skills. BUT... BUT I am not thinking he is THE stud on the DL and so I wonder if there will be someone else to get in round 1. Then again (!) if there is NO stud to be THE anchor then why not this guy in round 1?

I most want a DT outside of whoever could be THE anchor and if that guy is a DT that is fine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ET207. Show ET207's posts

Give Brady weapons and he will perform.  Even though Edelman is a helluva player, if he is Brady's only legitimate weapon, Brady, and any other QB who has ever played the game, will look mediocre.  How can u not understand such a simple concept?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

No, they don't.  COnnolly can move to Center again and Kline or Cannon can play RG. Kline was superb last year in spots when used.

Can't pin the hopes of a Super Bowl team on an untested guard who was solid in a few spot starts/moments. "Superb" is hyperbole at its extreme.

Team needs to figure things out with Wilfork and/or sign Allen. Extend and make amends with Vince and the team can draft a DE in the 2nd round and hopefully Amaro in the 1st.

Cut Vince, then they free up 7.5 million and can hopefully get Allen (if they move fast enough) and draft a DT in the 1st rd and a TE in the 3rd, after Amaro the TE value is all in rd 3.

The other two draft picks on day 2 should be an OG/C and a cover LB'er. 

Sections
Shortcuts