Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhataMaroon. Show WhataMaroon's posts

Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising

Luck, RGIII, and Tannehill in the draft, Peyton and Flynn (he of 2 NFL starts) FA's, and Dolphins, Brown, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, Cardinal, Seahawks all interested in improving their QB situations ... looks like supply will not meet demand. And look at the price to improve ... Carlson Palmer for 2 1's, RG3III for a boatload, etc ... Begs the question ... What's our Brian Hoyer worth? Probably more NFL ready than Tannehill (who may go top 10 in the draft). Can't be that much separation between Hoyer and Flynn. I think the Patriots can reasonably ask for a second round pick. If they tender him at the second round pick comp level, they may very well lose him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblock33644. Show dblock33644's posts

Re: Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising

good we still have ryan mallet who is and will be the next qb for new england

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't know how many times -- or in how many ways -- we have to keep saying it. There simply aren't enough even marginal quarterbacks to go around. When you've got a guy who looked like a kid who lost his mother at the mall the last time I saw him (Flynn) being touted as a "can't miss" free agent, there is very definitely something wrong with this picture.

But then again, this is a league where Matt Cassel (cough, choke, sputter) can make the Pro Bowl.

In my estimation, Hoyer is light years ahead of Flynn, but the kid doesn't have any buzz around him. Somebody with more money than sense (Miami?) is going to fall for the Flynn illusion, while a savvy general manager somewhere will get a bargain on Hoyer.

Bank it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising:
    Luck, RGIII, and Tannehill in the draft, Peyton and Flynn (he of 2 NFL starts) FA's, and Dolphins, Brown, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, Cardinal, Seahawks all interested in improving their QB situations ... looks like supply will not meet demand. And look at the price to improve ... Carlson Palmer for 2 1's, RG3III for a boatload, etc ... Begs the question ... What's our Brian Hoyer worth? Probably more NFL ready than Tannehill (who may go top 10 in the draft). Can't be that much separation between Hoyer and Flynn. I think the Patriots can reasonably ask for a second round pick. If they tender him at the second round pick comp level, they may very well lose him.
    Posted by WhataMaroon

Have we even restricted Hoyer yet?  If we aren't willing to pony up less than $2MM to tender him at the 2nd round level why would any team give up a 2nd round pick in a trade?  Assuming we tender him, all they have to do is sign him away and we get their 2nd.  So trading for a 2nd WILL NOT HAPPEN PERIOD.

Hoyer has zero NFL starts.  He's only played in garbage time and his stats are not eye popping. Hoyer's career numbers, 27/43/286/1/1 for an 80.2 rating.  Would you give up a 2nd for that?  I wouldn't.  Don't forget Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell.  Both have way more experience.  I think the odds are we won't even tender him and let him walk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhataMaroon. Show WhataMaroon's posts

In Response to Re: Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising:
    In Response to Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising : Have we even restricted Hoyer yet?  If we aren't willing to pony up less than $2MM to tender him at the 2nd round level why would any team give up a 2nd round pick in a trade?  Assuming we tender him, all they have to do is sign him away and we get their 2nd.  So trading for a 2nd WILL NOT HAPPEN PERIOD. Hoyer has zero NFL starts.  He's only played in garbage time and his stats are not eye popping. Hoyer's career numbers, 27/43/286/1/1 for an 80.2 rating.  Would you give up a 2nd for that?  I wouldn't.  Don't forget Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell.  Both have way more experience.  I think the odds are we won't even tender him and let him walk.
    Posted by Faucetman

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising : Have we even restricted Hoyer yet?  If we aren't willing to pony up less than $2MM to tender him at the 2nd round level why would any team give up a 2nd round pick in a trade?  Assuming we tender him, all they have to do is sign him away and we get their 2nd.  So trading for a 2nd WILL NOT HAPPEN PERIOD. Hoyer has zero NFL starts.  He's only played in garbage time and his stats are not eye popping. Hoyer's career numbers, 27/43/286/1/1 for an 80.2 rating.  Would you give up a 2nd for that?  I wouldn't.  Don't forget Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell.  Both have way more experience.  I think the odds are we won't even tender him and let him walk.
    Posted by Faucetman

I see what you are saying, but what are Tannehills stats in the nfl? Or Staffords for that matter? Now I am not comparing Stafford to Hoyer, what I am saying is, the risk of a second rounder for Hoyer is not that bad of a risk, when you consider what the skins just gave up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhataMaroon. Show WhataMaroon's posts

Posted by Faucetman

With Hoyer, as well as Luck, RGIII, and Tannenbaum, you're not paying for experience, you're paying for potential. How many GM's would view Jason Campbell as a long term solution? None! I acknowledge that Hoyer's star may not rise as high as Luck or RGIII. Given all that's going on right now in the QB space, I would strongly assume that there are GM's doing the 'value calculus' right now on Hoyer. A second rounder for a QB w/ a limited risk contract, a kid who's been coached up, can make all the throws, hasn't shown he DOESN'T have good decision making, would not come in w/ huge hype and expectation, etc ... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

good we still have ryan mallet who is and will be the next qb for new england
    Posted by dblock33644

Too early to tell. We'll see

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

You really think the new HC at Miami doesn't know how good Flynn is......or isn't....gimme a break........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I don't know how many times -- or in how many ways -- we have to keep saying it. There simply aren't enough even marginal quarterbacks to go around. When you've got a guy who looked like a kid who lost his mother at the mall the last time I saw him (Flynn) being touted as a "can't miss" free agent, there is very definitely something wrong with this picture. But then again, this is a league where Matt Cassel (cough, choke, sputter) can make the Pro Bowl. In my estimation, Hoyer is light years ahead of Flynn, but the kid doesn't have any buzz around him. Somebody with more money than sense (Miami?) is going to fall for the Flynn illusion, while a savvy general manager somewhere will get a bargain on Hoyer. Bank it.
    Posted by p-mike

You may be right about Flynn.  But of what is your opinion of Hoyer formed?  The guy has completed 8 passes in 2 years, playing in absolute garbage time, since Brady almost never comes out.
    As a Pats fan, I hope you are correct about Hoyer's value.  If anything I think it may be inflated because of the BB pedigree more than actual ability.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

wishful thinking. hoyer is not in the same category as rgiii and luck. it's like stocks. people buying rgiii and luck are looking for stocks with ridiculous growth potential (potential for being that great qb you build your team around), willing to pay a premium for that growth potential, knowing the risks. hoyer is more like a large cap with stability but limited growth. it's a different set of teams who will be interested in hoyer, but those teams will not pay nearly as much.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising :    I see what you are saying, but what are Tannehills stats in the nfl? Or Staffords for that matter? Now I am not comparing Stafford to Hoyer, what I am saying is, the risk of a second rounder for Hoyer is not that bad of a risk, when you consider what the skins just gave up.
    Posted by jerh5

Teams for some reason always feel more optimistic about draft pick potential.  I agree, Hoyer would probably be better year one than Tannehill.  Still, no team is going to give up more than a 5th for him, assuming we restrict him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising : With Hoyer, as well as Luck, RGIII, and Tannenbaum, you're not paying for experience, you're paying for potential. How many GM's would view Jason Campbell as a long term solution? None! I acknowledge that Hoyer's star may not rise as high as Luck or RGIII. Given all that's going on right now in the QB space, I would strongly assume that there are GM's doing the 'value calculus' right now on Hoyer. A second rounder for a QB w/ a limited risk contract, a kid who's been coached up, can make all the throws, hasn't shown he DOESN'T have good decision making, would not come in w/ huge hype and expectation, etc ... 
    Posted by WhataMaroon

Dude,

We got a 2nd for Cassel and Vrabel combined after Cassel put up a heck of a big year starting 15 games.  You're dreaming my friend.  A second for Hoyer is insane.  Not even the Redskins are that stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

What a joke, maybef worth a 3rd, maybe for Boyer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Price for Brian Hoyer keeps rising:
    Posted by WhataMaroon

You really think so, jeez whatamaroon..... wait a second.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well whatever they get for Hoyer will be a bonus because he's an undrafted FA..2nd 3rd or even a 4th or 5th would be a gift.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We won't get much for Hoyer unless somebody stupid comes along.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If they can find a buyer, a second rounder is not out of the question. Pete Carroll gave up a ton for a stiff named Charlie Whitehurst. A second and a third as I recall, for a player with basically zero stats who has turned out to be worthless.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

If they can find a buyer, a second rounder is not out of the question. Pete Carroll gave up a ton for a stiff named Charlie Whitehurst. A second and a third as I recall, for a player with basically zero stats who has turned out to be worthless.
    Posted by Muzwell

carroll? thats why bb has three rings and he doesn't. the first one that bb won was with a lot of the same players. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

When is the deadline for tendering a restricted FA?

I thought it was last week

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

A 2nd rd pick for B. Hoyer really isnt that bad, like most of you think. I mean some teams are going to probably spend a 2nd rd pick on a QB, anyways. Does he have any experience? NO.  I would rather send a 2nd rd pick for a QB who has been on a well coached team and surrounded by experienced players, coaches. Hoyer knows what all that stuff like pressure and game stuff is all about, compared to a 2nd pick draftee. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I just want some confirmation that we tendered him at that level

A 2nd for him would be GREAT

It would give us the ability to move up (for once) if we needed to or if we move down (more likely) the team will still get multiple 2nd rd additions.

Lately BB has been hitting about 50% of his 2nd rd picks, the great (Gronk) good if they can stay on the field (Chung, Spikes, Vollmer) and the busts (Brace, Butler, probably Cunningham). It is still too early to judge Vareen and Ras-I.

But if we have a draft where we keep 1 of the the two 1st rd picks and add 4 2nd rounders, of which 3 make a big impact next year, well I am happy with that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Nobody is giving us a 2nd rounder for Hoyer.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Nobody is giving us a 2nd rounder for Hoyer.
    Posted by BabeParilli

+1

We got a 2nd for Cassel who started an entire season.  Why would we get a 2nd for Hoyer who has not started a game and went undrafted meaning he wasn't some big shot prospect like Mallett.  Not saying the guy is useless or couldn't have a nice career somewhere else, but a team would have to be insane to give up a 2nd for him.

Sections
Shortcuts