primary target for day 1 of URFA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

primary target for day 1 of URFA

Going to be a feeding frenzy.  Have to pick your primary target and chase hard and fast immediately.  I say go for BJGE, OG, and OLB.  OG can wait if they have any feedback on Mankins intentions at all, and go WR instead.

Who SHOULD their top 3 targets be?

Also, BJGE can actually be signed before URFA...

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: primary target for day 1 of URFA

BJGE has the RFA tag and hasn't earned enough time for it to disappear as of yet (this is his 4th year) so if you are talking day 1 he's on back burner to get a deal done, same with Mankins since the tag is still there too.

If I had to give priority it would go

UFA's
    UDFA's
    RFA/tagged players

under that I'm thinking

#1)  Matt Roth - given the previous system he's been in and the need for stable pass rushers he's my #1 priority (honorable mention Lawson but since lack of off season is an issue Roth has the most experience playing in the Pats type of systems)

#2) Malcom Floyd - Since Chad Ochocinco is still under contract no sense talking about him until he is released. Since there is no guarantee he will be Floyd is a tall strong WR with good enough speed to stretch the field if the D doesn't respect his role (Honorable mention Sims-Walker)

#3) UDFA's - With everyone tripping over themselves to get the FA's there were a number of talented players who didn't get drafted this year. A number of the sleeper picks the board loved slipped out of the draft completely esp in the OLB, C, and OG positions. With the movement for younger OLman there is a chance to find a hidden gem in those UDFA's if the iron is still hot (I expect to here about 7-12 UDFAs signing in the first day for the Pats)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to primary target for day 1 of URFA:
    [QUOTE]Going to be a feeding frenzy.  Have to pick your primary target and chase hard and fast immediately.  I say go for BJGE, OG, and OLB.  OG can wait if they have any feedback on Mankins intentions at all, and go WR instead. Who SHOULD their top 3 targets be? Also, BJGE can actually be signed before URFA...
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

Is it decided whether BJGE is a RFA or URFA? If he is restricted they can take some time with him, if he is unrestricted they will have to move or face competition that might price him out of NE. I am not sure BB would pay open market dollars for him. Arrington needs to be resigned and I expect a move on one of the safeties.

After that NE will make moves to fill in the offensive line. They are going to lose people here. Talking with Mankins is priority #1, after that securing another guard, and possibly another tackle is a priority. #2 I also expect them to outright cut or cut Nick Kazcur. I don't think NE will be all too happy to pay him $3.5 million as a question that could be cleared for $3 million in cap savings. Part of me expects NE to sh!t or get off the pot with Mankins this time around. They aren't going to let him linger. The will either offer him a contract or trade him quickly, but I don't expect them to keep him on the tender all season again. If they let him go, a somewhat cheaper and older alternative would be Harvey Dahl, who while not as good is a capable backup and a leader with similar strengths (power blocking) that appeal to Ne.  

#3 OLB and WR could be addressed, but I'm not sure about BB bringing anyone in that is middle of the line. They already have middle of the pack players. They will either be JAG role players or one good blockbuster at either position. A sweetheart deal with a reclaimed player like Roth might work. Lawson will be asking too much on the FA market IMO, and fits the middle of the pack guy. But they could also clear space to make a move on a bigger FA. The market has legit conversion candidates. But

Personally, I hope they make a big move on someone like Ray Edwards as a conversion candidate, but it's risky and pricy and unlikely. I simply don't see a way they address that position this season outside of hoping their current guys develop.

WR is a bit different, and Ne could make a play on someone to shore them up, but again they may prefer to see what they have develop longer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eman39. Show eman39's posts

I love the idea of Malcom Floyd.  I think he is exactly the type of WR the Pats need.  Could be a pro bowler with Brady throwing to him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Get OLB help - Matt Roth or (my pref) Charles Johnson or both :-)
    Get WR help - Sidney Rice

assuming ofcourse we sign Mankins and BJGE to long-term deals.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

I think the PRIORITY becomes OLB since TBC just had abdominal surgery....  Seems to me that he will have some difficulty getting through the OL when his abdomen is more than likely going to be tender for a while... and then feel like it is PULLING for another while.  I hope he did not have a "TEAR" in his abdomenal wall.... makes it hard to work out when that injury occurs.... Then you have to be real dedicated not sissy pants....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Does anybody think the Pats might go after a big name like Floyd or Rice?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I hope so - but AFTER they address the OLB need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Rice is the big name Floyd is more of a upper-mid tier WR. He's played second fiddle to Jackson most of his career.

In list's of the best FA receivers I'd put Floyd at #6 maybe #5 behind: Rice, Edwards, Holmes, Smith, Sims-Walker. But, I think Floyd hasn't had the chance to excel in a system and I think he'd fit perfectly in the Pats system

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Extend Mankins
    Sign Roth
    Sign Rice
    Resign BJGE and Arrington
    do all that and I am beyond happy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

In Response to Re: primary target for day 1 of URFA:
    [QUOTE]1. Sign BJGE and Arrington. 2. Sign S Jarrad Page. Try to trade Meriweather for a 2nd rd pick. 3. Tag and trade Mankins for a 1st rder in 2012 or 2013. 4. Sign Matt Light to a 1 year deal. 5. Sign OLB MAtt Roth to a 4 year deal. 6. Sign G/C David Baas to a 3 year deal. 7. Wait for Chad Johnson to be released.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    King your normally right but not here honestly i wouldnt min arrington not being resigned if he dosent come cheap. Second we do not need both roth and johnson. They offer either a run stopper or pass rusher to take ur pick. I want roth. Light wont come cheap or to a 1 year deal so hes gone. merriwheather and mankins are 2 of our better players do not trade them. try to keep logan and bm is really not the problem hes tough and they will get no one better . Finally we do not need ocho cinco ,

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I could go with Roth as a top prospect in FA.  I would also look at Ellis from the Jets and maybe even Jason Taylor if he wants to play one more year.  Ricky Williams would also be worth a look.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Trade Mankins for V-Jack

Make sure the door doesnt hit Matt Light's a** on the way out

Sign Ray Edwards

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]1. Sign BJGE and Arrington. 2. Sign S Jarrad Page. Try to trade Meriweather for a 2nd rd pick. 3. Tag and trade Mankins for a 1st rder in 2012 or 2013. 4. Sign Matt Light to a 1 year deal. 5. Sign OLB MAtt Roth to a 4 year deal. 6. Sign G/C David Baas to a 3 year deal. 7. Wait for Chad Johnson to be released.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

King I agree with everything you said with one caveat. With so many teams having money theyHAVE to spend (K.C.) I dont think there is a snowballs chance in he ll that Matt Light settles for a one year deal. I hope we can keep him but I believe he is gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Now that TBC is out for the foreseeable future, they need bodies at OLB.  Like others, I think Light is a goner, someone will overpay him to fill their LT position.  Wouldn't mind them adding CJ or Smith if either are cut since they could use a guy at WR.  I can't see them making any huge moves, and even if they have a target in mind they might get outbid due to the amount of cap space across the league that teams have to use. 

I hear Manning is looking to be a FA.  Maybe they can sign him as Brady's backup :) (A joke, relax...).   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

With all the good WR's who are FA I think it would be smart to just let everyone go crazy for a week or two then grab up someone for a bargain.  I bet there will be at least 5 good WR's left unemployed after people get done throwing money at the top 3-5 guys.  OLB doesn't have as many options, I hope they go after who they want immediately.  Present Mankins and Light with Contracts immediately, if they don't want to sign, start shopping OL, which there are plenty of also.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]With all the good WR's who are FA I think it would be smart to just let everyone go crazy for a week or two then grab up someone for a bargain.  I bet there will be at least 5 good WR's left unemployed after people get done throwing money at the top 3-5 guys.  OLB doesn't have as many options, I hope they go after who they want immediately.  Present Mankins and Light with Contracts immediately, if they don't want to sign, start shopping OL, which there are plenty of also.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

...What he said.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Didn't BB already fill his only hole with Marcus Stroud?  The rest of the league dawdled and waited for the lockout.  Too bad.

BB has three or four pass rushers available.  Despite the Globe's doing a chicken little with Tully Banta-Cain, he should be suiting up for game 1 in September, with a slight criticism that he didn't get enough practice in August.  I expect Cunningham to be improved.  Mike Wright is back.  Ras-I Dowling will free Kyle Arrington to blitz, which he does well.

I suppose that BJGE could use a contract extension.  The guy has never fumbled in his professional career, and for a 1000 yard rusher that should count for something.  However, this isn't a day 1 issue.  All in good time...

I think that Mankins will play one year for $10 mil.  Remember that if Nate Solder comes in and takes a spot on the line, someone else is freed up and can shift to guard.  Solder may be a dumb rookie but his rare ability to pancake innocent linebackers might make up for that shortcoming.

Mankins has too many cow pies coming out of his mouth, but otherwise he's the best run-blocking guard in the NFL.  Don't trade him.  Play him this year and win this year.  In August, put some offer for future years on the table, just to see if his agent takes the offer.  Guaranteed money for future years is worth far more to a player than gambling whether you'll get through this season without a career-ending injury.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

If BJGE is still restricted, then he gets backburnered, and my focus is on Roth(or which ever OLB the FO thinks is the best fit), and then OG(if mankins appears happy to hold out again, followed by UDFA.  Then I wouild address light, BJGE, and WR.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

They have to figure out their Left side of the O-line first. 

Mankins is a must sign and should be primary target on Pats List.  Need to protect #12.  Priority! 

25. This post has been removed.