Pro football is dead!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Pro football is dead!

Pro football is dead. You cannot play defense any longer. I just watch a 49 yard pass interference penalty on the Dolphins on Monday night football. There was no penalty committed! The Refs have taken over the game! It stinks. Now QBs just throw the ball as far as they can and look for flag. That's not football!
    This is a disgrace.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mustangbullitbri. Show mustangbullitbri's posts

Re: Pro football is dead!

Ummm...  time to go to bed?(And NO, that was'nt a proposition.)

Seriously,  did you maybe like the 4th quarter?  That was fun and interesting football.  Congrats Phins....  sorry NYJets.  Being a Pats fan I had a rooting interest in the Phins tonite.

That was one of the best MNF's I have seen in awhile.  Football is not dead boss...  It ranks over baseball by incredulous numbers as far as viewers.  And I am a baseball fan!

P.S.  Dolphins...  Keep wearing the Orange.  It works.  3 - 0.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

Pro Football is not dead, thats only a rumor! Besides Vegas has Phoney Ref's now in the game fixing them and shaving points. Oh wait...Im sorry thats Basketball.. Actually not only is the Mafia in Basketball, they are in BaseBall, did you see the calls so far in the playoffs that were so bogus it goes beyond belief?  The Mafia could nerver get into Football, no way! I mean you would have to be Mafia to afford Billion Dollar Stadiums, Paying out Million Dollar contracts to Slug Players, Owning Law enforcment officials so that yoru players would get out of jail and trouble easily. Wait a minure..........HOLY SH It PRO FOOTBALL IS RIGGED AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

<<Seriously,  did you maybe like the 4th quarter?  That was fun and interesting football.>>

I agree it was fun and interesting but it has become more like pro wrestling. The "sport" has been taken out of the game by the "league". The number of bad calls by the referees seems to affect the out come of way too many games. If there were that many game decided by bad calls in baseball the fans would rip the park apart. I would like to feel bad for the players who who have dedicated their lives to play a game at this level but it appears that they are not making an issue out of it because of the money that they are making and that also includes the owners. The NFL is in business to make money; they're in the entertainment business, selling products and, producing tv shows and running football game,etc. I give them a lot of for credit for marketing, the on and off the field rules concerning the standards and appearance of the game and the players. It might have been different yesterday when every call of the field was taken at face value but real time- slow-motion- zoom in tv coverage has changed that aspect of the game. Every close call that is a game changer should be up for revie. All long pass interference calls and especially in the end zone.Throwing a ball down field to see if the receiver can catch or get fouled is not a sport, its excitement causing entertainment. If it is broken then don't fix it till someone complains.

The players, couches and owners have to play by the rules so what makes the referee so different. Three bad calls a year and you're fined and sent back to school till next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

It seems like 90% of bad calls  go to the home team. 

I can see the ref saying a tie goes to the home team but that pass interferance call was pure fiction and the refs negated an obvious fumble in the Pats Denver game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

agree with the origional post, we might as well all start becoming referee fans, as they are the most impactfull people on the field.  it become ridiculous.  every game there are 3-4 BS calls of either pass interderence, roughing the QB, unessecesary roughnesss ETC, and all are against the defense.  welcome to the national soccer league ladies.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softserve. Show softserve's posts

How does that saying go?  "this is not your fathers NFL"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

I watch both pro and college football and the college refs are just as bad as the pro refs.  And the baseball umpires this year were horrible too.   They will just keep on making the same bone-headed calls because they have no consequences at all.  I have seen them decide a few games this year which is NOT right!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

I hate to say this but lets see what you all think!  Everyone I talk to laughs about the Black Sox issue of the games in the long past being fixed. Everyone says come on man theres no way you can get all these guys on a team to tank a play.
    the truth is you only need one man to affect the outcome of a game,  Hello Mr. Referee!
    Everyone says come on man, thats gotta be impossible, then I mention the NBA ref that got caught.  At first the bogus calls that tilt a game go pretty much unoticed but you take whats going on in Football, BaseBall and Basketball right now and on television and there is no way you can deny it.
    The simple way for Bud Selig to blow this off is to totally ignor it, and he has, he just stated he is fine with the way things are in baseball and WILL NOT change it. Well of course he wont change it, first you have drugs in the sport, players that are liars, Selig running to cover it all up because they dont want to stop the money comming in from the fans and look like the liars and fools that they really are.
    Anytime you have a Billion Dollar a year industry you are going to have some form of corruption because people will be there with their hands out, just remember the US Senate got involved with this not to stop it, but to cover it up and spank Selig to get his cover up in order and keep the public in the dark so the cash cow will continue />
    Pro Sports has become a disgrace because of the greed and the fact that the FANS will continue to pay for this type of entertainment

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't know why they don't increase pay...

... or offer bonuses to the best crew(s) each year... 

... or measure call consistency (if they make a call like Merriweather's taunting call, do they call it every time Eddie Royal celebrates a catch the same way?) and offer a bonus for that (even if the call is wrong, if they make it every time, then at least teams have plenty of fair warning to adjust, like Game 3 of the Angels and Red Sox where the umpire called high strikes the whole game)

Give people more incentive to become refs, then give them more incentive to be GOOD refs.  For all the money they spend on the facilities and the players, I don't know why they don't improve the refs...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

I don't think Pro Football is dead, but I agree it's pretty hard to play pass-defense anymore because the rules favor the receivers way too much. No wonder teams play so much zone now adays. If you get up on the receiver (like they used to back in the 70's, when they were allowed to bump & run with the receiver, as long as the ball wasn't in the air) it's not very long before the ref calls the defender for holding or illegal contact. The receivers are always running illegal 'Picks' and very seldom do they call it. The receivers now adays may be  bigger, faster and more athletic than the Receivers of the 70's, but  how about making them earn their catches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

I don't think Pro Football is dead, but I agree it's pretty hard to play pass-defense anymore because the rules favor the receivers way too much. No wonder teams play so much zone now adays. If you get up on the receiver (like they used to back in the 70's, when they were allowed to bump & run with the receiver, as long as the ball wasn't in the air) it's not very long before the ref calls the defender for holding or illegal contact. The receivers are always running illegal 'Picks' and very seldom do they call it. The receivers now adays may be  bigger, faster and more athletic than the Receivers of the 70's, but  how about making them earn their catches.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

I completely agree that it's become really hard to play pass defense and this really is affecting the game. Yes, the 4th quarter of the game last night was fun, but it really is up to the offense to mess things up (like the Pats, unfortunately, did on Sunday) instead of allowing the defense to make plays. And that's when the calls aren't hideous, like the phantom pass interference call last night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

In Response to Pro football is dead!:
    Pro football is dead. You cannot play defense any longer . I just watch a 49 yard pass interference penalty on the Dolphins on Monday night football. There was no penalty committed!  The Refs have taken over the game! It stinks. Now QBs just throw the ball as far as they can and look for flag. That's not football! This is a disgrace.
    Posted by RonF

Hum!!!! Funny how NE fans are making these comments now, but were putting their blinders on when the refs gift wrapped you the Ravens game.

Sections
Shortcuts