Prodraftanalysis.com: Patriots select Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stars81. Show stars81's posts

Prodraftanalysis.com: Patriots select Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

It is obvious the Patriots are in a desperate need for an offensive weapon. With the injuries and off the field problems they faced at the TE position last season, I would not be surprised to see the Pats go after a big TE in this year's draft, however the Patriots need to improve their defense. They lost their run-stopping ILB Brandon Spikes, not to mention Spikes was not on the field on passing downs.

I think the Patriots will look to take a smart, athletic ILB that will remind them of Teddy Bruschi, which is why I have them taking Shayne Skov. If the Patriots elect to go in the direction of athleticism, I think they would go after Ryan Shazier, but I do not believe they will select a skill player with the first round. A guy like Louis Nix also makes sense here, but I do believe he will be long gone at this point. What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Prodraftanalysis.com: Patriots select Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

He looks like a good player, but not really a first rounder. Stranger things have happened though...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to stars81's comment:

It is obvious the Patriots are in a desperate need for an offensive weapon. With the injuries and off the field problems they faced at the TE position last season, I would not be surprised to see the Pats go after a big TE in this year's draft, however the Patriots need to improve their defense. They lost their run-stopping ILB Brandon Spikes, not to mention Spikes was not on the field on passing downs.

I think the Patriots will look to take a smart, athletic ILB that will remind them of Teddy Bruschi, which is why I have them taking Shayne Skov. If the Patriots elect to go in the direction of athleticism, I think they would go after Ryan Shazier, but I do not believe they will select a skill player with the first round. A guy like Louis Nix also makes sense here, but I do believe he will be long gone at this point. What do you think?

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you are look for a Bruschi type look at a BC kid named Steele Divitto. Not the most athletic guy his shear instincts and his motor remind me a ton of Bruschi. This kid just makes plays. I'd love to see what he looks like in the Pro's and if he can overcome the lack of athletic ability but just watching this kid plays brings back memories of Bruschi.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It scares me how unpredictable BB is in the draft. No one in the NFL, sports media or fans accurately predicts what BB will do at any point. It is especially eerie when a name is called and we asked ourselves 'who is that' or why did we not draft any ____position? 

The reality is BB's draft style is unique. What BB sees a major need we may not; what he sees as value we may not and how he sees players ability to develop and add to the team is not obvious. In addition, the draft is only part of the way BB fills out the roster and develops the team. He is in a constant process of adding to the team from UDFA, trades and castoffs that fill roles and then coaching them up to perform these roles better than anyone in the league. For fans it is frustrating because we can't instantly see his vision for the team, how he will bring that about and the time schedule for creating that.

What is clear to me is that BB is a master at developing his teams as the season progresses. I know of no coach who has done so much bringing players along and building a team sometimes out of spare parts.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If the price is right BB trades down because many of the names that fit could be gotten in round 2 and 3 and perhaps in some cases even round 4.

Yet if someone special falls into their laps before they trade... if there is a DT or NT or LB that they especially like then perhaps they stick. I think it ends up being how much will another team pay for the right to the round 1 pick. And would you trade a 1st next year plus a pick this year for our first this year? ANd if so what round this year along with that first rounder?

And then there is still the issue of Mallet. Will anyone be willing to give up a 3rd this year? Or would we and someone else be willing to trade Mallet for a pick in next year's draft?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I really like Skov as a middle round Mike backer option.  He plays faster than his horrific timed speed (5.1+ 40) and you have to love his instincts, toughness ability to blitz and stack/shed at the point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think like a lot of these Stanford kids, he benefits from having good players around him in that front seven.  Skov isn't even touched on half his run plays, he just lines up a clean shot on the ball carrier. I think he goes in the 5th round. I'm not saying he can't play, but I think he is limited. Having said that, in our defense Belichick has hid these types before (Spikes, Johnson) and they never really got exposed, but Johnson and Spikes really really could take on blocks...maybe Skov can, but for the most part he stays clean with that line ahead of him...our linebackers don't play that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I really like Skov as a middle round Mike backer option.  He plays faster than his horrific timed speed (5.1+ 40) and you have to love his instincts, toughness ability to blitz and stack/shed at the point.

Is his time really that slow? That is scarey slow. Even if he plays faster than his time that is hard to swallow. Hard to play in this league if you cant keep up with the other players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

He carries a 4th or 5th rd projection. Maybe a reach at the 3rd but with 2 picks in the 4th I could see it there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Skov has dropped a bit as the pre-draft analysis has continued...the NFL's fetish with 40 times is croaking him right now...he's a smart, tough kid....have no clue who will take him however...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Just watched a bunch of highlights on Skov, and I was very impressed.

Reads plays very well and seemed to be a very good tackler both in the middle and out in space.

Played all across the Line of scrimmage including dropping into coverage.

Playing speed looked really good, including start stop acceleration.

Downside seemed lack of size. Can get swallowed up by big OL, but seemed quick enough to shed and tackle.

I could see Skov as a 3 down backer. 3rd round I would take him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Is his time really that slow? That is scarey slow. Even if he plays faster than his time that is hard to swallow. Hard to play in this league if you cant keep up with the other players.

Yeah, that's what the reports were.  He's much like Spikes in that he's lacking a lot natural foot speed, but makes up for some of that with very good instincts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

https://stanford.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634249" rel="nofollow">https://stanford.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634249

He was recovering from a hamstring injury.

I went back to look at more video, and he does look slow (even in 2012 before his injury). I don't think he's Spikes slow, but lack of speed and injuries could drop his draft stock.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Didn't he get injured a couple of seasons ago? Knee or something. I think many predicted when Luck was there he was a 1st round talent. One tough SOB, plays much faster in game. First 10 yards are what counts, to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Didn't he get injured a couple of seasons ago? Knee or something. I think many predicted when Luck was there he was a 1st round talent. One tough SOB, plays much faster in game. First 10 yards are what counts, to me.

He tore up his knee back in 2011, yes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

He tore up his knee back in 2011, yes.

Didn't realize his injury went back to 2011. No wonder he looked even slower in 2012 than 2013. Thanks for the info, MB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Also, a Stanford student....only the smart ones need apply...BB loves this!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Puh-leeeze let the Jets draft this guy!  He strikes me as plain awful at the NFL level, unable to shed lead blocks and on the permanently disabled list within two years.

Sections
Shortcuts