Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season

Okay boys and girls, training camp is nearly upon us. Brady is back and the receiving core is status quo. We all know how things went last year with the 'back up' at the helm. So, with that said what do you think the '09 season holds? Will the Patriots win the division (easily)? Will the Patriots host the AFC Championship game? If so, who will the foe be in that game? If not (in championship game), who do you think will rise as the cream of the crop in the AFC and who will eventually with the SB in '10?

Lots of conjecture of course but that is the fun of it all isn't it? :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season

If the team survives the pre-season with little, if any, significant injuries, Brady is true to form, the D does in fact, REALLY, improve over last season, this could be a very interesting season.  Minimum going deep into the playoffs, title game for the AFC and another shot at the 4th ring in the decade.  The Pats may not have signed a lot of name players, but, it appears the folks they have in the fold are going to make this an extemely competitive team.  Of course, every team and their fans feel they have improved tremendously from last season, too.  We shall see on the filed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season:
    Okay boys and girls, training camp is nearly upon us. Brady is back and the receiving core is status quo. We all know how things went last year with the 'back up' at the helm. So, with that said what do you think the '09 season holds?Goodness but not greatness.Will the Patriots win the division (easily)? Yes, not easily though Will the Patriots host the AFC Championship game? No, it's at SD this year If so, who will the foe be in that game? N/A If not (in championship game), who do you think will rise as the cream of the crop in the AFC and who will eventually with the SB in '10? If the Chargers are healthy compared to the last two seasons, they'll hoist Lombardi Lots of conjecture of course but that is the fun of it all isn't it? :)
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season:
    In Response to Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season :
    Posted by jbolted

I thought this thread was based on the real NFL, not fantasy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I would not rule out a slow start- yes Brady is Brady, but he has been away from football for a year so it is not unrealistic to expect a little rust. But, barring serious or numerous injury, I expect a strong finish and a good run in the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I predict that after the Pats win their fourth Lombardi Trophy, they will insure every American, end world hunger and broker peace in the Middle East.

Oh . . .   and go to Disney World.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

19-0  The path to Redemption!!!  Pats crush Giants 42-10 in SB44.  Write it down.  It has been spoken.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Prognostications.......I think I drank a few of those last night....ugg a very big word for a Sunday morning but here goes. The Pats win home field through out and beat the Stealers in the AFCCG. The Pats win the rematch against the Giants in the SB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I know everyone is saying the Pats are the team to beat and on paper they are.  But I don't think this team is as good as the 2007 team.  We don't have an edge rusher and I worry about our depth at middle LB.  Other then a couple of new veteran CBs we brought in, Springs and Bodden (who have a new system to learn), we have a very young and inexperienced secondary.  Rodney's gone and Hobbs while not great in coverage knew the system and was a solid return guy.  It remains to be seen the effectiveness of who replaces Hobbs at KR.  I don't want to see Welker back there.  I worry about the 3rd WR spot too, a bunch of new guys that have never worked with Brady.

So, there are questions but I am optimistic.  #12 has to stay healthy because there is nobody behind him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Going with my 13-3 prediction, #1 seed in the AFC. Our running back by commitee will be very effective, mitigate injuries, keep our RB's in better shape come playoff time. Plus a better running game means that some pressure is taking off of #12. I expect Brady to have a good year no 2007, but still his 2nd best statisical year of his career. Randy Moss will benefit from having Brady throwing to him all season, plus a big year from Wes Welker. Galloway will have a decent year ala Stallworth and Gaffney in previous years. OLine will play better, and much better depth this year. DLine should play at a high level, I think our linebackers will do better than expected but still be the weak spot on the defense. Not surprised if Guyton steps up and ends up replacing Brushi. A. Thomas will have his best year as a Pat. CB's will do much better than last year (Bodden > O'Neal), and I'm liking the depth there as well as our safties. Merriweather will continue to improve and be an almost All-Pro selection.

Playoffs we'll destory Houston in the 2nd round, then have a very anticipated AFCCG home against Pittsburgh. Pats will complete a 3-0 record in Championship games against the Steelers. Super Bowl rematch with Philadelphia and the Pats will win this one by 2 TD's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Why so down Faucet?
    I think we will be surprized how well our pass rush looks again in 10'. Lets face it Brady to Moss was the pass rush in 07'. I can remember Tom throwing over open guy's to a double cover Moss plenty.When teams had to start throwing every down to stay in the game. We just have to believe that Crable/Woods/Banta-Cain/Thomas can push the pocket enough to let the other make plays. That's alot of different styles to prepare for as all those guys should rotate. As for MLB I think we have to be better off with Mayo/Guyton/Tedy/Lennon/Alexander than Tedy /Seau. Who knows Lennon or Alexander could be better than any of us expect. Although Seau has said everthing but what the date of the comeback is. What strikes me funny is. A 3-4 D is based on LB play and were not trying to put top teir players at that position? The D-line has a good chance to be special also with the players they'll have in camp and pre-season we should start the year with some of the best in the league. Let's not forget that Wright or Green would be starters on other teams and Brace has not been at nose as many thought he would. The DB corp should be out standing. We have DB's this year that don't give a free release on every play. If Wheatly can stay healthy and Butler can cut it as a rookie. They will be a top tandom this year. This system is not that new to Bodden and Wilhite seem to be coming into his own as the season ended. I'll miss Rodney as much as anybody!!! Some one has to step up and put fear into the deep middle again. Sanders is just not that type of player. Meriweahter is ready to be special. I hoping he get's move back to the deep half where he can ballhawk and lay the unexepcited WOOD. He just don't seem to have IT to be in the box because of the getting dragged. I think Chung could be. I'm hoping! 

Hopefully the back up O-linemen can be good enough and will be rotated enough to keep the line fresh all year. The kid out of Louisville sould be a good runblocker.They have had a strong run game behind him. I don't think that BB was looking to find replacements for Stallworth or Gaff this year. I think BB knew before signing Galloway that the legs were fine and he'll be the deep threat opposite Moss that must be respected. Lewis seems to work under and over the middle well. That should help Welker out some. We have 3 TE's that are top 3rd of the league at least.

My concern's would be /
    BB's back to the Offense in games trying to coach the LB's. Because of the new OC.
    Pees no pressure D.
    KR duties. Hobbs was very productive. No Welker for me either! We have to find someone who is not a starter on O or D.

When the luck comes into play. 07' our luck came on Rex Rayn's time out. The late pick in the Eagles game. The Gaint's came on the Farve play-off pick and the last SB drive. Were not going into that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

If the Chargers are healthy compared to the last two seasons, they'll hoist Lombardi

We hear this same old BS year after year. If I want a good laugh I'll go watch Comedy Central!

I would not rule out a slow start- yes Brady is Brady, but he has been away from football for a year so it is not unrealistic to expect a little rust.

I'm hoping Brady works out his "rust" in training camp. He's already been working in OTAs, and according to Randy they are coming along nicely. So he'll only throw for 45 TDs instead of 50...I can certainly live with that!

The Pats win home field through out and beat the Stealers in the AFCCG. The Pats win the rematch against the Giants in the SB.

I just can't see the Giants making it so far. I believe Eli will have problems without Plaxico, and that the Eagles are the better team in their division. I think it's more likely a rematch of 39 than of 42.

I worry about the 3rd WR spot too, a bunch of new guys that have never worked with Brady.

Galloway is an experienced veteran. Also, most receivers seem to do well even if they haven't worked with Tom before. As long as they can draw coverage away from Moss they won't need to catch a lot of balls. I'm more worried about the defense than anything on the offense.

Playoffs we'll destory Houston in the 2nd round, then have a very anticipated AFCCG home against Pittsburgh. Pats will complete a 3-0 record in Championship games against the Steelers. Super Bowl rematch with Philadelphia and the Pats will win this one by 2 TD's.

I'm having a hard time seeing the Texans making it to the second round of the playoffs. They are still in the same division as the Titans and Colts. Unless they learn how to close games out a lot better than previous years I still consider them pretenders. As for winning the SB against the Eagles by 2 TDs...does that mean McNabb will start puking in the 3rd quarter???

We have DB's this year that don't give a free release on every play. If Wheatly can stay healthy and Butler can cut it as a rookie. They will be a top tandom this year. This system is not that new to Bodden and Wilhite seem to be coming into his own as the season ended. I'll miss Rodney as much as anybody!!! Some one has to step up and put fear into the deep middle again. Sanders is just not that type of player. Meriweahter is ready to be special. I hoping he get's move back to the deep half where he can ballhawk and lay the unexepcited WOOD. He just don't seem to have IT to be in the box because of the getting dragged. I think Chung could be. I'm hoping! 

My hopes, too. If the new guys at corner can manage to disrupt opposing WRs at the line that will help the LBs by giving them an extra second while the QB adjusts. That seems to be all that they needed so many times when they gave up big pass plays last season. If Butler and Chung can be productive (plus learn and start coming into their own by the end of the year) the defense will be much improved. They also need to tighten up in the red zone. I truly miss Willie Mac making those critical stops near the goal line. And if Brady is back to form it will make opposing offenses one dimensional, thus easier to defend as they know they will have to go to the air. I'm going to be looking at guys like Guyton and Wilhite, too. They seemed to be stepping up their play at the end of the season, and I'm hoping they have used the offseason to their advantage.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season:
    Of course, every team and their fans feel they have improved tremendously from last season, too.  We shall see on the field.
    Posted by agcsbill

Boy, isn't that the truth!  Every team's fans can point to some off-season improvements and have reason to be optimistic.  Problem is: some of those improvements occur and some do not.  Plus, every team is an injury or two away from serious problems...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I think only dumb dumbs make their super bowl predictions this early in the year. And by dumb dumbs I am mostly talking about Jbolt who we all know makes teh same "the Chargers are going to win the title" statement year in and year and crowns his team the champs before training camp even starts. But what i will say is I think we have a really good team, reminds me a lot of that 2001 as far as middle of teh roster talent goes. I feel like we have a lot of good depth on this team and in the past that has been a good sign for a Bill Belichick led team. I think we will go 14-2 or 13-3 and win the AFC East, I think we make the playoffs and I think we have a very good shot at making a super bowl run. Will we make it all the way and win the whole f*cking thing? I dont know I dont have a crystal ball like Jbolt apparently has but I think we have a good shot and thats all anyone can really ask for. We can hope they win it all and think they will win it all but i have no idea. Its not even training camp so right now i will just say I think we have a good shot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I've got the pats losing a max of 6 and a minimum of 3 (maybe 2).  This obviously does not consider injuries which can change anything.  I tried to give the fins and jets the benefit of the doubt, but when I looked at their schedules, I just don't see it.  I just don't see the jets being that good (although I am intrigued) and the fins could start the season 0-3.  

Likewise, I've got indy with a possibility of 6 losses.  I think of these they will lose 4.  Giving TN the benefit of the doubt, I see possibly 5 losses.  This assumes they don't lose too much with the loss of Haynesworth.  We will see the reality of that.  What will be interesting is how effective the secondary is (who were great last year) w/o AH. 

I hate to say it, but it looks like Pit might get homefield if only because they play the AFC west.  they also play the NFC north but play Minn and GB (argueably the best of the division) in Pit. 

I did not bother with the AFC west.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I dont know I dont have a crystal ball like Jbolt apparently has

I think Bolt's "crystal ball" is cracked, and probably made out of plastic! He's been predicting a Chargers Super Bowl win now for the last five seasons! The only playoff games they've managed to win were against a backup QB with the Titans, and against the Colts (who, like I stated earlier, would have a tough go against an SEC team in January)! Most likely his "crystal ball" is one of those "Magic 8 Balls" and his predictions are based on a 4 out of 7 inquiry!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

13-3 + homefield and SB #4 of BB/Brady era.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

I'd love to see the rematch, Harley. Few people seem to think the Gints are contenders but they should be even better than they've been.

If they bust heads (like 2004), the Pats can't lose more than a couple of games. The division games might be tough, but I think they have the most talent in the NFL now (the Steelers, Cards, Boys, Bolts--no) and i think there's every reason to expect a good defensive year right out of the box. The play calling on both sides has been an issue IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SusanLovesCelts. Show SusanLovesCelts's posts

The schedule looks nice.  I think we can win the first six or seven.  Barring injuries of course, I say 13-3 and a trip to the SB to play either the Giants or Bears.  I'd rather go against NY and get some payback. Kiss

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

If Brady plays the entire season (and I believe he will):

1/ Patriots' regular season record will be 13-3

2/ Patriots' playoff games will be at the Razor

3/ Patriots will beat the Chargers in the AFC final

4/ Patriots will beat the Eagles in 2010 Super Bowl

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

BtW, nice thread initiated here....God, I love slow pitch!

Dunno how y'all arrive at 13-3 but that's ok...I'm suspecting that it will be a very measured and deliberate offense for the first four or five   games with an ecletic mix of offense & defense  that will  undoubtedly have the opposition scratching their heads.....again. 
    After that period  barring any  key or unusual body count, I look for them to go on a GREAT run.

AFC East will be more competitive to be sure but still Pats domain.
    (Really looking forward to those NY Post quotes from NYJ  Coach Ryan too.  :-) )
    AFC Championship v.s Pitt. won't be  as close as ESPN would like it to be no matter how many times they try and resurrect Art Rooney.
    SB: Could be the ultimate grudge match of all time but with Plax in "stripes" suspect it's more likely to be  Da Bears if Cutler doesn't alienate the entire team by week five.

Ah the power of prognostication...What do I know? NOT nearly enuf about a lot but I'm thrilled at the prospects that await all Pats fans....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season:
    Okay boys and girls, training camp is nearly upon us. Brady is back and the receiving core is status quo. We all know how things went last year with the 'back up' at the helm. So, with that said what do you think the '09 season holds? Will the Patriots win the division (easily)? Will the Patriots host the AFC Championship game? If so, who will the foe be in that game? If not (in championship game), who do you think will rise as the cream of the crop in the AFC and who will eventually with the SB in '10? Lots of conjecture of course but that is the fun of it all isn't it? :)
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

Tha pats will be a juggernaught rolling through the NFL schedule this year with a vengance. No more than two losses. They crush the stealers in the playoffs, at home. SD is out in the first round and indy is done, probably not making the playoffs. Sweet. Baltimore underachieves again. Miami comes back to earth, maybe making a wild card but one and done at best.
    Pats in the superbowl but not against the receiverless giants. No matter, they roll over the NFC to retake their rightful place as the best team in the NFL. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

think it will be the pats and eagles in the superbowl, mcnabb finally has a great line with the additions made there and he has a bunch of talented rookie WR to throw to. Plus they brought in a RB to help keep westbrook rested.  With asante and brown as the DB's their pass defense should be pretty good as well. I don't see the giants offense to be good enough to keep them in games. Yes they improved on defense with the addition of chis canty and the fact that osi is coming back from injury, but their major area of need was WR which i feel tehy didn't address adequately.  so i think the pats could beat any team on their schedule assuming brady is back to form, bodden and springs step up, and fred taylor/maroney combo is similar to dillon/maroney combo in terms of production.  I think the defense will be greatly improved and the offense will be set with the additions of actual TE's and galloway to draw heat off of moss and greg lewis filling in for gaffney.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

why are people picking the bears? big deal if they now have cutler throwing the rock. Who will he throw to? devin hester? they have no WR to help him out.  In denver he had a great set of playmakers to throw to including marshall.

Sections
Shortcuts