Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season

I predict both Pats and Giants will play 16 games this regular season!

Way to go out on a limb there, Jints! Go to Vegas. You'd probably only have to risk $10,000 to make a dollar on that bet!

3/ Patriots will beat the Chargers in the AFC final

I can't see the Chargers making it that far. They got lucky back in 07. How many times can they hope to draw the Colts in the playoffs?

AFC East will be more competitive to be sure but still Pats domain.
    (Really looking forward to those NY Post quotes from NYJ  Coach Ryan too.  :-) )
    AFC Championship v.s Pitt. won't be  as close as ESPN would like it to be no matter how many times they try and resurrect Art Rooney.

The only team in the division whom I see being competitive with NE is possibly the Fins. The Jests have a rookie QB and the Bills dumped their LT. Edwards will not be able to get TO or Evans the ball lying on his back. Ryan will probably come up with some laughable quotes, though! I can see the Steelers making it to the AFCCG, but only if Tomlin can focus them a lot better than Cowher did after a SB win. And as long as Ben can keep it in his pants and stay off that bike!!!

SB: Could be the ultimate grudge match of all time but with Plax in "stripes" suspect it's more likely to be  Da Bears if Cutler doesn't alienate the entire team by week five.

I think it more likely the Eagles get to the SB than the Giants. But only if they get lucky and have the opposition beat themselves like the Falcons did back in 05. McNabb is usually awful in the NFCCG. I don't know why people are predicting the Bears, though! Their defense is nowhere as good as it was in 06, and Cutler will blow it down the stretch. They still have no decent WRs and a suspect O-line. Jay won't be hitting those long bombs at Soldier Field in December, either! I think the Packers win the North, and the Bears go home for January.

Baltimore underachieves again. Miami comes back to earth, maybe making a wild card but one and done at best.

Don't know if I'd call it underacheiving. They lost a lot on defense, and Flacco could have the old sophomore slump. I think they miss the postseason this time around, too. I still think the Fins will do alright. But I agree they are a wildcard at best, and still won't match up well against the AFC division leaders (unless they get the Colts).

think it will be the pats and eagles in the superbowl, mcnabb finally has a great line with the additions made there and he has a bunch of talented rookie WR to throw to. Plus they brought in a RB to help keep westbrook rested.  With asante and brown as the DB's their pass defense should be pretty good as well.

While the Eagles seem to be preseason favorites, I do have a few doubts. First is McNabb's propensity to choke in the NFCCG. He is 1-4, with three of those losses in Philly. Also, as you mentioned, his WRs are rookies and 2nd and 3rd year guys. I will wait and see just how well these guys play before writing them in. Lastly, they lost a great leader in Dawkins, and even more of one with Johnson's passing. We may see the defense take a step backwards.

I do believe NE can make it back to the big game if Brady (and the defense) can stay healthy. I believe the secondary will be improved, but am still a bit worried about the pass rush. Someone will have to step up. In the NFC (and I know people will say I'm nuts for this), I think the Cardinals have a shot at repeating. They really haven't lost too many players, and Warner seems to hold them together well. There is the SB "loser curse", but we'll see. Their biggest obstacle will be a healthy restocked Seahawks team. I wouldn't put money on them, but I wouldn't write them off, either. I also consider the Eagles, Giants, Packers, and Falcons as contenders in the NFC. They all have their issues, but I can see any of them getting hot around Thanksgiving and making a run. Either way, I think the Patriots can (and should) beat any of them in SB44!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

In Response to Re: Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season:
    [QUOTE]If Brady plays the entire season (and I believe he will): 1/ Patriots' regular season record will be 13-3 2/ Patriots' playoff games will be at the Razor 3/ Patriots will beat the Chargers in the AFC final 4/ Patriots will beat the Eagles in 2010 Super Bowl
    Posted by Belenus555[/QUOTE]

Don't forget #5 McNabb dry heaves in the 4th again

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebw343. Show ebw343's posts

If the Pat* win the Lombardi, it will be their first real one -- the others are frauds -- as any NFL fan outside of Boston will tell you. Actually, you could just check with Big Papi -- he's taken a few lessons from Bill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I predict both Pats and Giants will play 16 games this regular season! Way to go out on a limb there, Jints! Go to Vegas. You'd probably only have to risk $10,000 to make a dollar on that bet! 3/ Patriots will beat the Chargers in the AFC final I can't see the Chargers making it that far. They got lucky back in 07. How many times can they hope to draw the Colts in the playoffs? AFC East will be more competitive to be sure but still Pats domain. (Really looking forward to those NY Post quotes from NYJ  Coach Ryan too.  :-) ) AFC Championship v.s Pitt. won't be  as close as ESPN would like it to be no matter how many times they try and resurrect Art Rooney. The only team in the division whom I see being competitive with NE is possibly the Fins. The Jests have a rookie QB and the Bills dumped their LT. Edwards will not be able to get TO or Evans the ball lying on his back. Ryan will probably come up with some laughable quotes, though! I can see the Steelers making it to the AFCCG, but only if Tomlin can focus them a lot better than Cowher did after a SB win. And as long as Ben can keep it in his pants and stay off that bike!!! SB: Could be the ultimate grudge match of all time but with Plax in "stripes" suspect it's more likely to be  Da Bears if Cutler doesn't alienate the entire team by week five. I think it more likely the Eagles get to the SB than the Giants. But only if they get lucky and have the opposition beat themselves like the Falcons did back in 05. McNabb is usually awful in the NFCCG. I don't know why people are predicting the Bears, though! Their defense is nowhere as good as it was in 06, and Cutler will blow it down the stretch. They still have no decent WRs and a suspect O-line. Jay won't be hitting those long bombs at Soldier Field in December, either! I think the Packers win the North, and the Bears go home for January. Baltimore underachieves again. Miami comes back to earth, maybe making a wild card but one and done at best. Don't know if I'd call it underacheiving. They lost a lot on defense, and Flacco could have the old sophomore slump. I think they miss the postseason this time around, too. I still think the Fins will do alright. But I agree they are a wildcard at best, and still won't match up well against the AFC division leaders (unless they get the Colts). think it will be the pats and eagles in the superbowl, mcnabb finally has a great line with the additions made there and he has a bunch of talented rookie WR to throw to. Plus they brought in a RB to help keep westbrook rested.  With asante and brown as the DB's their pass defense should be pretty good as well. While the Eagles seem to be preseason favorites, I do have a few doubts. First is McNabb's propensity to choke in the NFCCG. He is 1-4, with three of those losses in Philly. Also, as you mentioned, his WRs are rookies and 2nd and 3rd year guys. I will wait and see just how well these guys play before writing them in. Lastly, they lost a great leader in Dawkins, and even more of one with Johnson's passing. We may see the defense take a step backwards. I do believe NE can make it back to the big game if Brady (and the defense) can stay healthy. I believe the secondary will be improved, but am still a bit worried about the pass rush. Someone will have to step up. In the NFC (and I know people will say I'm nuts for this), I think the Cardinals have a shot at repeating. They really haven't lost too many players, and Warner seems to hold them together well. There is the SB "loser curse", but we'll see. Their biggest obstacle will be a healthy restocked Seahawks team. I wouldn't put money on them, but I wouldn't write them off, either. I also consider the Eagles, Giants, Packers, and Falcons as contenders in the NFC. They all have their issues, but I can see any of them getting hot around Thanksgiving and making a run. Either way, I think the Patriots can (and should) beat any of them in SB44!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]
    That's because your vision is 30/10, not 20/20.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]If the Pat* win the Lombardi, it will be their first real one -- the others are frauds -- as any NFL fan outside of Boston will tell you. Actually, you could just check with Big Papi -- he's taken a few lessons from Bill.
    Posted by ebw343[/QUOTE]

I guess you'd be an expert on frauds being one and all, you pathetic, hateful little troll.

Just so you know, we're laughing at you not with you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]I know everyone is saying the Pats are the team to beat and on paper they are.  But I don't think this team is as good as the 2007 team.  We don't have an edge rusher and I worry about our depth at middle LB.  Other then a couple of new veteran CBs we brought in, Springs and Bodden (who have a new system to learn), we have a very young and inexperienced secondary.  Rodney's gone and Hobbs while not great in coverage knew the system and was a solid return guy.  It remains to be seen the effectiveness of who replaces Hobbs at KR.  I don't want to see Welker back there.  I worry about the 3rd WR spot too, a bunch of new guys that have never worked with Brady. So, there are questions but I am optimistic.  #12 has to stay healthy because there is nobody behind him.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I've posted this a few other times.  We really don't have any more problems or question marks going into this season than we had in 2007.  It's easy to look back at 2007 using our perfect hindsight and compare things to this year.  Let's go back to this point before the 2007 season and look at our team:

1. Our receiving corps was literally cleaned out.  Gaffney was the only holdover playing on opening day.  Troy was on the roster, but a PUP player.  So we basically had an entire receiving corps that had no chemistry with Brady.
    2. Who the hell is Welker?  Can he play?
    3. Will Moss be the Moss of old, or the Moss from Oakland?  Will he cause problems in the locker room? He's still injured.
    4. Troy Brown is on the PUP, and can't play until week 6.
    5. Seymour is on the PUP, and cannot play until week 6.
    6. Rodney gets a 4 game suspension.
    7. Who is Sammy Morris?  
    8. Will Samuel even report to training camp, or will he hold out?
    9. Can Seau really have one more year in him?

2007 turned out fairly well for us, albeit not quite well enough.  The point I'm trying to make is that we had as many question marks before the 2007 season as we do right now.  I'd even say we had more question marks prior to the 2007 season.  If TB stays healthy and gets any rust off of him early, and our D is improved from last year, we're going to do very well.  I don't think our D will show it's true form until mid-season.  You cannot lose Vrabel and Harrison and have so many new faces without needing a little time for chemistry building.  All of our new guys may be absolute studs but they'll still have some problems until they've played together for a handful of real games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Prognostications for the 2009 Patriots season : That's because your vision is 30/10, not 20/20.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

My vision could also be 24/21 or 38/14! Doesn't really matter. I'm looking at it from a historical standpoint. The Chargers really haven't done much in the postseason except to beat the Colts. And we've seen that this is not very hard to do! You could also say I was using 8/8 vision! Last time I heard, Norv was still the coach. Though he's great at running an offense, as a HC he has shown he cannot get it done when the season is on the line. And I just have to say this, Merriman looks so stupid with that ridiculous mohawk!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]If the Pat* win the Lombardi, it will be their first real one -- the others are frauds -- as any NFL fan outside of Boston will tell you. Actually, you could just check with Big Papi -- he's taken a few lessons from Bill.
    Posted by ebw343[/QUOTE]

Classic troll line. I suppose you've been everywhere "outside of Boston" and asked every football fan their opinion! I doubt you've been more than two miles from your mother's basement in years. You have yet to state which team it is that you follow. Maybe you are ashamed of them! I'd bet a month's salary they haven't even sniffed a SB in the last 20 or more years! But thanks for your input! Your mere presence here confirms what we know about you trolls. You are all jealous of our team's success! And you still fear them because they will continue to whip your team's a s s!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I've posted this a few other times.  We really don't have any more problems or question marks going into this season than we had in 2007.  It's easy to look back at 2007 using our perfect hindsight and compare things to this year.

It's like this every offseason here. People get nervous by what they perceive to be weaknesses. Maybe fans in NE worry a bit more than the average American because of all the heartbreaks they've suffered due to the Sox. I'm sure the sustained excellence of the Patriots has something to do with it, too. I clearly remember the Welker discussions of two years ago. There were scores of people saying they gave up too much to get this guy. He was too small, only had one TD for Miami, etc. My response was that by the end of the season Welker would be the best thing that ever happened for Tom Brady. Of course, that was before they traded for Moss. I expected Welker to lead the team in receptions, and not only has he done that for two years, but he's been in the top 2 in the entire league! Something about him suggested to me that he'd be great in a Patriots uniform. We'll see about guys like Galloway, Springs and Bodden. Bodden looked pretty good in a similar defense in Cleveland. Springs and Galloway have both proved themselves to be quality players. I also think both Merriweather and Mayo will continue to improve. I think the defense will be better this year than last. Hopefully they can avoid the injuries that plagued them in 08. They barely missed the postseason last year at 11-5, which was a fluke. Now Tom Brady is back, there really shouldn't be too much concern about them not continuing their run of excellence!