Projections for the 2010 Draft Class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Projections for the 2010 Draft Class

In Response to Re: Projections for the 2010 Draft Class:
    Very good read from you all.  I think the loss of Welker and given the new TE talent that we will see Brady utilize the TE much more next year than in the recent past.  We are already getting a glimpse of how Hernandez will be used, lined up in the slot, out wide, at the H at FB, etc.  BB will move him all around and use him the way Keller and Clark are used.  I think Edelman's numbers will be done from the 60 or so that most are projecting here.  Don't count out Gronk either.  He is nearly as fast as Hernandez.  I see Gronk being used a ton in the red zone and 3rd and short.  He is so tall with such a huge wing span, it will be such an inviting target for Brady.  Just when the D thinks they've figured him out, he'll go deep and beat the safety cheating up.  Guys, I really think these two young TEs will do better than you all are predicting.  I think Moss's numbers will be down to around 60/900.  Kyle is predicting a near repeat of 2007 from Brady and the passing game.  I think he's close but I'd bring it in a lower lower, like 4250 yards 38 TDs.  This should still be good for top 5 offense.  The running game will decline some.  The big improvement I see is on defense.  A lot of people have been critical of us not getting an elite pass rusher.  What they fail to realize is we really haven't had an elite pass rusher in a long time.  The sacks we've gotten this decade have come predominately from excellent coverage.  We've had some really solid secondaries allowing the McGinests and Vrabels of the world to over achieve.  I think McCourty solidifies the CB position and I expect more out of Chung coming on the blitz this year to get pressure.  All in all, the Patriots are a better team and are now one of the youngest.  The team that worries me most in the division isn't the Jets, it is the Dolphins.  Their defense will be dramatically better with Odrick, Misi, Edds and Dansby.  Brandon Marshall gives them a huge vertical threat and their running game is always good.  I think 11-5 wins the division with everyone but BUF at least 9-7.   
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet, thanks man.

I do agree with Miami's haul on defense as I believe those 4 could greatly improve their defense from and all around run stopping, pass rush and pass coverage perspective. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Very good read from you all.  I think the loss of Welker and given the new TE talent that we will see Brady utilize the TE much more next year than in the recent past.  We are already getting a glimpse of how Hernandez will be used, lined up in the slot, out wide, at the H at FB, etc.  BB will move him all around and use him the way Keller and Clark are used.  I think Edelman's numbers will be done from the 60 or so that most are projecting here.  Don't count out Gronk either.  He is nearly as fast as Hernandez.  I see Gronk being used a ton in the red zone and 3rd and short.  He is so tall with such a huge wing span, it will be such an inviting target for Brady.  Just when the D thinks they've figured him out, he'll go deep and beat the safety cheating up.  Guys, I really think these two young TEs will do better than you all are predicting.  I think Moss's numbers will be down to around 60/900.  Kyle is predicting a near repeat of 2007 from Brady and the passing game.  I think he's close but I'd bring it in a lower lower, like 4250 yards 38 TDs.  This should still be good for top 5 offense.  The running game will decline some.  The big improvement I see is on defense.  A lot of people have been critical of us not getting an elite pass rusher.  What they fail to realize is we really haven't had an elite pass rusher in a long time.  The sacks we've gotten this decade have come predominately from excellent coverage.  We've had some really solid secondaries allowing the McGinests and Vrabels of the world to over achieve.  I think McCourty solidifies the CB position and I expect more out of Chung coming on the blitz this year to get pressure.  All in all, the Patriots are a better team and are now one of the youngest.  The team that worries me most in the division isn't the Jets, it is the Dolphins.  Their defense will be dramatically better with Odrick, Misi, Edds and Dansby.  Brandon Marshall gives them a huge vertical threat and their running game is always good.  I think 11-5 wins the division with everyone but BUF at least 9-7.   
    Posted by Faucetman

Good point that we never really had a dominant pass rusher. Colvin was supposed to be that guy, but he hurt his hip, loosing that special burst that he had prior to the injury. AD obviously was a bust. McGinnist took years to develop into a solid rusher, but never was a dominant rusher that people would believe. Vrabel was solid, but not special. Seymore was pretty darn good at times, but was inconsistant in the rush. You add up all these players though and they make for a pretty versatile group that's good against the run and pass. Maybe if this Cunningham kid works out, along with Tully, we will get some pressure as the secondary seems very solid. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Projections for the 2010 Draft Class:
    With rookie camp right around the corner, I figured it’d be a good time to try and forecast what we can potentially expect from each player heading into the 2010 season (assuming the players are healthy).     *PLEASE FEEL FREE TO AGREE OR DISAGREE*   22- CB Devin McCourty :   What the scouting reports say:   He has a ton of game experience is tough, physical, smart, fast and quick and has shut-down potential in both man and zone schemes.   He also profiles as a potential pro-bowl special team player.   2010 Projection:   I think he projects as atleast their #3 CB, potentially their #2 and should give them great production on most all special teams, especially as a potential return man and gunner.   45 TACK- 2 INT- 2 FF     42- TE Rob Gronkowski :   What the scouting reports say: Great size/speed combo, profiles as a good dual purpose TE with the ability to dominate as a blocker and stretch the seam and create match up problems in the red zone as a receiver.   He had great production in 2008 47-672-10.   2010 Projection:   While he didn’t play in 2009 due to a back injury, he’ll have the opportunity to come in and play right away due to the lack of NFL caliber TE’s on the NE roster.   Learning from a true pro like Alge Crumpler can only help to accelerate his acclimation.   Early on, I think he provides great value as a blocker and red zone target while the rest of his game catches up.   25 REC- 325 YDS- 4 TD     53- OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham :   What the scouting reports say:   Athletic, tough and consistent defender that plays with a great motor, has a good burst off the edge and uses his hands well.   Decent production in the SEC with 33 TFL and 18.5 sacks.   2010 Projection:   Due to the lack of quality edge players on the team, he may have the opportunity to impact from day one. I think he’ll see consistent playing time as part of the OLB rotation and also play on special teams.   25 TACK- 5 SACKS- 1 FF   62- ILB Brandon Spikes :   What the scouting reports say:   Great leadership ability and size for the position, tough and physical at the POA and great against the run.   Has good instincts and awareness and looks to have decent ability and ball skills in coverage (6 career INT’s, 4 returned for TD).     2010 Projection:   Has the opportunity to start from day 1 opposite Mayo and would be an immediate impact at the ILB position.   He should at least provide value as a 2 down run stuffer early on and has the ability to develop into a 3 down backer with is ability in coverage.    55 TACK- 1 INT- 1 SACK- 1 FF   90- WR Taylor Price:   What the scouting reports say:   Good size, great speed and athleticsim and was underutilized in college.   Tough, competitive, hard working kid with a lot of upside and potential as a vertical thread.   2010 Projection :   Will join Edelman and Tate on the list of talented young receivers in Foxboro and will likely compete with Tate for reps as the # 4 along side Randy, Julian and Tory.   15 REC- 225 YDS- 1 TD     113- TE Aaron Hernandez:   What the scouting reports say: Fast, quick, strong and athletic TE prospect with great versatility and ability after the catch.   2010 Projection :   I think this kid will impact from day one, as mentioned above he has the skill set to be utilized in a variety of formations and alignments and could develop into a big play threat for TB and make a killing out of the slot.   The loss of Welker and any sort of productive TE opens the door for a potential big year.   40 REC- 520 YDS- 5 TDS   The Rest:   I think Mesko will prove his worth at their new #1 punter and both Deadrick and Weston could potentially see some time in the DE/DT rotation. My assumed catch totals per player below, this nets out to 390 (last year TB completed 390 passes): WR's Randy Moss- 80 Julian Edelman- 60 Torry Holt- 50 Brandon Tate- 25 Taylor Price- 15 Sam Aiken- 10 TE's Alge Crumpler- 20 Rob Gronkowski- 25 Aaron Hernandez- 40 RB's Kevin Faulk- 35 Sammy Morris- 15 Laurence Maroney- 10 Fred Taylor- 5
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

<Professor (with you i don't mean that sarcastically) why so many catches for edelman and so few for price? edelman will probably be a backup once welker returns and i expect price to be our #2 WR?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Projections for the 2010 Draft Class : <Professor (with you i don't mean that sarcastically) why so many catches for edelman and so few for price? edelman will probably be a backup once welker returns and i expect price to be our #2 WR?
    Posted by unclealfie

alfie,
    Ha, thanks.  My rationale is that Welker won't see much of the field this year and I project Edelman to be the biggest beneficiary of his absence.  Price is a rookie and probably won't be rushed and he could potentially be behind Moss, Holt, Edelman and Tate and WR and you still have to account for receptions by the TE's and RB's.  We'll know more once preseason hits, but for now I'll project low. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

65 receptions from the TE position is high, I doubt Cunningham will see the field that much, especially if Burgess is signed.
    Posted by HRK103

1/....65 receptions may sound a lot from the TE spot, but remember that due to Welker's absence for the first part of the year...TB is going to depend on the TE's to be his receiving safety valve.

2/ ...First, Burgess has to be signed....and then, he has to perform....I have my doubts about his ability to perform on the field....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Projections for the 2010 Draft Class : 1/....65 receptions may sound a lot from the TE spot, but remember that due to Welker's absence for the first part of the year...TB is going to depend on the TE's to be his receiving safety valve. 2/ ...First, Burgess has to be signed....and then, he has to perform....I have my doubts about his ability to perform on the field....
    Posted by DogenHanda

I tend to agree with you. 

Look at how our division has changed since 2007.  We go and get Welker and Moss then light the world on fire with an aerial assault that likes which have never been seen.  The following year BUF drafts McKelvin in the first then in 2009 MIA drafts Vontae Davis in the first and Smith later on.  The Jets already had Revis but add Cromartie and Wilson since they want to try to take away three WRs.  Is it just a coincidence that we draft two stud TEs who are usually matched up against LBs and Safeties?  I think not.  They want to take away our WRs, we'll counter with a pair of stud TEs; one that can line up everywhere in our spread formations and the other that is so big and tall that he will out jump whoever is covering him or use that long wingspan as a shield to get the ball.  Brady just has to find his back shoulder and it won't matter who is on him.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Projections for the 2010 Draft Class : alfie, Ha, thanks.  My rationale is that Welker won't see much of the field this year and I project Edelman to be the biggest beneficiary of his absence.  Price is a rookie and probably won't be rushed and he could potentially be behind Moss, Holt, Edelman and Tate and WR and you still have to account for receptions by the TE's and RB's.  We'll know more once preseason hits, but for now I'll project low. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Well, I hope you're wrong on that one, Buddy, but its probably the smart choice. I'm going to be optomistic and look for Mr. Welker to be back on the field before the halfway point.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Projections for the 2010 Draft Class : Well, I hope you're wrong on that one, Buddy, but its probably the smart choice. I'm going to be optomistic and look for Mr. Welker to be back on the field before the halfway point.   
    Posted by unclealfie

I don't think I'd want to rush Welker back.  We don't want that ACL to tear again.  I'd start him on PUP give him the full amount of time, what is it, 9 weeks?  Then 3 weeks before you active him.  Get him back by Week 12 and maybe play him week 16 to get him ready for the play-offs.  I really think Edelman, Gronk and Hernandez can hold down the fort.  I actually think Brady will really enjoy throwing to those bigger targets and we will see a lot more production from the TE position than we've seen in a long time, like since Coates.

I'm so excited to see those guys on the field.  I love the enthusiasm Gronk showed at the draft.  That youthful energy and happiness was it for me.  He really is going to the perfect organization for him.  I want some of that excitement to rub off on others.  Brady was like that the first few years.  Brady to Gronkowski, get used to hearing that.  I bet they hook up for 60.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nastee. Show nastee's posts

In Response to Re: Projections for the 2010 Draft Class : I don't think I'd want to rush Welker back.  We don't want that ACL to tear again.  I'd start him on PUP give him the full amount of time, what is it, 9 weeks?  Then 3 weeks before you active him.  Get him back by Week 12 and maybe play him week 16 to get him ready for the play-offs.  I really think Edelman, Gronk and Hernandez can hold down the fort.  I actually think Brady will really enjoy throwing to those bigger targets and we will see a lot more production from the TE position than we've seen in a long time, like since Coates. I'm so excited to see those guys on the field.  I love the enthusiasm Gronk showed at the draft.  That youthful energy and happiness was it for me.  He really is going to the perfect organization for him.  I want some of that excitement to rub off on others.  Brady was like that the first few years.  Brady to Gronkowski, get used to hearing that.  I bet they hook up for 60.
    Posted by Faucetman

If a player fails the teams pre season physical they can be placed on the P.U.P.  The player must then stay on for 6 weeks. Then the team has 3 weeks to make a decision to either activate the player or place on the IR.

Sections
Shortcuts