Proposed Rule Changes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Proposed Rule Changes

Via PFT my thoughts in bold below each proposal.

Rule change proposals:

1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line.

Stupid.  Just get rid of the kickoff at this point.

2. Expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.

How would this work?  Sure there are lots of stupid PF's that with the benefit of replay were obvious bad calls, but are we talking about reviewing every single one or just allowing challenges?

3. Eliminate overtime in the preseason.

Obvious yes.

4. Extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar.

Obvious yes.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.

I like this a lot.  Makes PAT not so automatic and makes ST more important.

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

Obvious yes.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

I'd be open to seeing this happen for a season to see how it plays out.

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

Enforcement of this seems problematic.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

This will make conspiracy theories even worse.  Frankly the NFL reps haven't exactly been stellar after the fact anyways.

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

Obvious yes.

11. Don’t stop the clock on a sack.

The clock stops on sacks?

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

This will ruin the NFL.  Might be the stupidest idea I have ever read.

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Ok.

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

Ok.

2. Raise the practice squad limit from eight players to 10 players.

Ok.

3. Permit clubs to trade players prior to the start of the league year.

Ok.

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

This probably screws guys from the first wave of cuts in the old system that manage to latch on with another team, but I'm okay with it.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

I don't like the IR system as it is, but I have a feeling this would be manipulated a lot.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

Ok.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Ok.

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.

Horrible idea.  Imagine a scenario where the team closes the dome to start the game and gets out to a lead and then opens it up at halftime during bad weather to stop the away team from making a comeback.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Proposed Rule Changes

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Via PFT my thoughts in bold below each proposal. Mine in RED

Rule change proposals:

Stupid.  Just get rid of the kickoff at this point. Move it back to the 25 if they still want KOs in a game.

How would this work?  Sure there are lots of stupid PF's that with the benefit of replay were obvious bad calls, but are we talking about reviewing every single one or just allowing challenges? Some are subjective, tough to manage.

Obvious yes. Who needs it?

Obvious yes. Concur

5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.

I like this a lot.  Makes PAT not so automatic and makes ST more important. How about the 20?

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

Obvious yes. Yup, correct camera angle all the time.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

I'd be open to seeing this happen for a season to see how it plays out. Why not, officials have been proven to not be perfect!

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

Enforcement of this seems problematic. There are hits that are not deliberate. IE - player pushed into the other.  Call can be made when it is clear the offending player made a play to go at the legs.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

This will make conspiracy theories even worse.  Frankly the NFL reps haven't exactly been stellar after the fact anyways. As if they aren't in vogue now!

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

Obvious yes. Concur

The clock stops on sacks? Why is a sack different than a tackle in the backfield of a runner?  No difference.  Concur

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

This will ruin the NFL.  Might be the stupidest idea I have ever read. Who's going to measure the 1 yard?  Another "I think it was within a yard" type call! Stupid.

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Ok. Like for offensive fouls?

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

Ok. Why not just have it at 49 all the time?

Ok. Won't hurt and keeps more players employed.

Ok. Why limit it, trade when you want to!

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

This probably screws guys from the first wave of cuts in the old system that manage to latch on with another team, but I'm okay with it.

Simply allow the team to cut down at their pace and simply meet the 53 man roster by the week before the season begins. If the team wants to keep a marginal player that long, let them.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

I don't like the IR system as it is, but I have a feeling this would be manipulated a lot.

Could never understand the term "injured reserve".  Reserved for what, next season? Could  be adjusted to allow any player to be put on IR, with a minimum time of 6 weeks.  Allows a team to bring in another player until the injured player can return the same season.  Why punish a team for having a player injured and could return in week 12 by keeping their spot on the roster while they heal? 

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

Ok. Makes sense.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Ok. Details!

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.

Horrible idea.  Imagine a scenario where the team closes the dome to start the game and gets out to a lead and then opens it up at halftime during bad weather to stop the away team from making a comeback.  Agree.  That would be like delaying a game until it stops raining.  Open or close it at the start.

See mine in RED above!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Rule change proposals:

Prefer to move the kick-off back to the 30 yard line to get more returns, but if we have to change the kick-off to reduce injuries, my suggestion would be to require a punt instead of a place kick.  The rules would be the same as those for a safety kick, except I would set the restraining line at whatever yard line would result in the average safety kick reaching the goal line.  This would result in returns, but not the long runs downfield that cause injuries. 

How would this work?  Sure there are lots of stupid PF's that with the benefit of replay were obvious bad calls, but are we talking about reviewing every single one or just allowing challenges?

Hmm . . . would like to understand the rationale.  It may be that they want referees to lean toward calling a PF in borderline cases and then review the play just in case the call was a bad one.  This probably is to prevent guys from being punished for leading with the head when they actually lead with the shoulder.  At least that's my guess. 

Agree. Good change. 

Agree. BB has suggested this rule change and I think it makes sense. 

Willing to see how it works. Would like to see a rule that prevents players from projecting themselves at the runner's legs.  

This will make conspiracy theories even worse.  Frankly the NFL reps haven't exactly been stellar after the fact anyways.  I'm good with this. Like it actually. 

Obvious yes.  Agree.

The clock stops on sacks? Hmmm . . . a sack on a last minute drive could kill the drive.  Is that good?

Agree it's a bad rule.  Kills press coverage.   

Ok.

Bylaw proposals:

Ok. Mixed feelings, but makes sense given the strain on players with Thursday games.  Getting rid of Thursday games (or giving teams byes before them) makes even more sense.  

Ok. 

Ok. 

I don't like the IR system as it is, but I have a feeling this would be manipulated a lot.  Maybe just increase the active roster to 60 from 53.  

Ok.

Ok.

Resolution proposal:

Horrible idea.  Imagine a scenario where the team closes the dome to start the game and gets out to a lead and then opens it up at halftime during bad weather to stop the away team from making a comeback.

Mixed feelings on this one.  Could be good for fans when the weather is bad and the roof is open.  Maybe make it possible only to close it in bad weather.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Per Reiss the Patriots suggested 4 of the proposed changes.  All good ones imo.  Raising the goalposts, making the PAT from the 25 yard line, adding more cameras for better replay review and allowing the coaches to challenge any officials' decision.

I wonder who the azzhat was that proposed the PI change.  It's gotta be someone with the Broncos right?  LMAO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Per Reiss the Patriots suggested 4 of the proposed changes.  All good ones imo.  Raising the goalposts, making the PAT from the 25 yard line, adding more cameras for better replay review and allowing the coaches to challenge any officials' decision.

I wonder who the azzhat was that proposed the PI change.  It's gotta be someone with the Broncos right?  LMAO.

Or the Colts  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I'm in agreement with most of your proposals, pcm.  The only thing I would say is that the 25 yard line for extra points is a little excessive.  I would say the probability of nailing a 42 yarder isn't that much higher than converting a 2 point conversion from the 2 yard line.  If that's the case, most teams would forgo the kick and take their chances with the 2 points every time.  Some may find this exciting but I'm not sure how I feel about it.   Maybe put the PAT at the 15 or 20 yard line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

LMAO at "raising the goal posts"...That is a shot at the moron refs who blew the call vs Baltimore in 2012. 

The kick was good.

Our team has been screwed in 3 games in the last 2 years on last play of game situations that were clearly incorrectly/wrongly applied calls.

lmao I immediately thought that as well. BB is classic man

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Rule change proposals:

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

This will make conspiracy theories even worse.  Frankly the NFL reps haven't exactly been stellar after the fact anyways.

Obvious yes.

Ok.

Bylaw proposals:

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Resolution proposal:

Hey PCM

Substantive posts like this show why you are one of the most constructive, interesting posters on this site. Keep it up!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Rule change proposals:

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Ok.

Bylaw proposals:

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Resolution proposal:

Pretty Good. I would agree on most of your opinions. I just find it wierd that the league has finally listened to BB regarding extra points. He has been talking about it for years. With that being said, maybe BB is out of Goodells doghouse and we can be allowed to win a SB again....lol

with regard to I/R, my feeling is this. If a guy can get healthy before the season is over, allow him to come back and play. They are professional players. After I get better, I have to return to work, I dont get to wait until next year to work again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Rule change proposals:

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Obvious yes.

Ok.

Bylaw proposals:

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Ok.

Resolution proposal:

Pretty Good. I would agree on most of your opinions. I just find it wierd that the league has finally listened to BB regarding extra points. He has been talking about it for years. With that being said, maybe BB is out of Goodells doghouse and we can be allowed to win a SB again....lol

with regard to I/R, my feeling is this. If a guy can get healthy before the season is over, allow him to come back and play. They are professional players. After I get better, I have to return to work, I dont get to wait until next year to work again.

BB has also been advocating for this one for years also...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Via PFT my thoughts in bold below each proposal. My Responses in red.

Rule change proposals:

Stupid.  Just get rid of the kickoff at this point.Agreed...ridiculous. Go back to the old rule, and kickoff from the 30 yard line. Importance of special teams a huge part of what football is...and kickoff return is one of the most exciting plays in football.

How would this work?  Sure there are lots of stupid PF's that with the benefit of replay were obvious bad calls, but are we talking about reviewing every single one or just allowing challenges? RESPONSE: No! Please have the refs show some restraint in this area...and do away with ticky-tac personal fouls calls. Would rather that they keep the flag in their pocket, unless the personal foul is flagrant. Ditto with PI calls.

Obvious yes. RESPONSE: Yes...and in the regular season as well. If the prime directive is player safety...why submit tired players to perform in OT in the regular season? Is  regular season tie so bad? It also makes the play-offs more special. 

Obvious yes. RESPONSE: Yes

I like this a lot.  Makes PAT not so automatic and makes ST more important. RESPONSE: No! Why emphasize the importance of having a good kicker? TDs are so much more valuable than FGs, because of the additional four (4) points. This rule will make attempting and/or settling for FGs more appetizing. It will also lead to greater chances for injury, by teams trying to block a 42 yard extra point. Bring back the kickoff return...not this!    

Obvious yes. RESPONSE: Okay.

I'd be open to seeing this happen for a season to see how it plays out. RESPONSE: Yes...provided that the number of chllenges are still limited, and, if wrong, the team still gets charged a time-out

Enforcement of this seems problematic. RESPONSE: No! This allows a ref to serve as a "mind-reader". These plays are almost always accidental occurrences.

This will make conspiracy theories even worse.  Frankly the NFL reps haven't exactly been stellar after the fact anyways. RESPONSE: No! I don't want the guy who made the all trying to influence the hopefully objective replay official.  

Obvious yes. RESPONSE: Make everything reviewable, as discussed above, including putrid PI calls.

The clock stops on sacks? RESPONSE: Yes! I didn't know that the clock stopped, either. 

This will ruin the NFL.  Might be the stupidest idea I have ever read. RESPONSE: Terrible! I agree with you that this will ruin the game. The offense has enough advantages.

Ok. RESPONSE: No, except on non-flagrant PI calls. Flagrant PI calls should remain a spot foul.

Bylaw proposals:

Ok. RESPONSE: Do this for every game.

Ok. RESPONSE: Yes.

Ok. RESPONSE: Okay.

This probably screws guys from the first wave of cuts in the old system that manage to latch on with another team, but I'm okay with it. RESPONSE: No. Give the coaches a chance to evaluate who they have, before making their final cuts.

I don't like the IR system as it is, but I have a feeling this would be manipulated a lot. RESPONSE: No. Agree that this will allow team to "stash" players.

Ok.RESPONSE: No...especially the part about permitting other teams to watch workouts of opposing teams.

Ok. RESPONSE: Why?

Resolution proposal:

Horrible idea.  Imagine a scenario where the team closes the dome to start the game and gets out to a lead and then opens it up at halftime during bad weather to stop the away team from making a comeback. RESPONSE: Ridiculous. But, the league should come up with a hard and fast rule that, if temperatures are 50 degrees or above, and the weather is clear, the roof must be opened.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

LMAO at "raising the goal posts"...That is a shot at the moron refs who blew the call vs Baltimore in 2012. 

The kick was good.

Our team has been screwed in 3 games in the last 2 years on last play of game situations that were clearly incorrectly/wrongly applied calls.

Travis Bean....Are you the TURD aka Deadeye aka Rusty??????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

What can we do to spice up the pro-bowl (easily the worst of any sport's all star game)?

How about the winning conference's team "wins" the super bowl coin toss?

I also think we should get rid of PAT.  Touchdowns should automatically be worth 7 points... However, if a team elects to go for a 2 point conversion (now a "1 point conversion") and fail, they would lose a point (making their touchdown worth 6 points). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

The kick was good.

Travis Bean....Are you the TURD aka Deadeye aka Rusty??????

Do you believe this right wing nutjob claims to have a degree in physics?

Probably passed a physics class from an online university....lord help this country....

His university degree says: degree awarded- Associates degree in HERP DERP

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I can't get to wrapped about these proposed rules changes...every team submits changes based on how they've been screwed since the last meeting to discuss rules changes...they'll do nothing to readically change the way the game is played but move the goal posts up or down or back and forth, maybe the kickoff spot...nothing else.

Sections
Shortcuts