Protecting the New Pick Magnet!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Protecting the New Pick Magnet!

In respect to Darrens Sharper's segment on NFL network I have to proclaim a NEW pick magnet for 2013. I recently caught this peice and it was on the infamous Dick Sherman who has been a pick magnet this year. If anyone knows about INT's, its Darren Sharper, one of my favorites when he played for Minnesota and has a career 63 PICKS!!!!

I have a new candidate for the pick magnet.

Logan Ryan. Some picks you just have a good feeling about. Now I am not saying I predicted him to be a pick magnet, but I did like him coming out, but more for his ability to tackle and help out in the run game. My theory is that most CBs drafted high are mostly drafted due to their cover skills. I never heard anything about his cover skills or ball skills. He was touted as 3rd/4th round type who struggled at times in coverage but had NFL tacking skills out the gate. This is important to me cuz it tells me the player wont be intimidated by the whole NFL aura and if he can come up and stick a 230 lb RB, he likely wont back down from an NFL WR. Thats why I like those guys in the Antoine Winfield mold cuz they are less likely to be a bust. NFL CB is more about confidence and swagger than Talent to me.

Ty Law/Asante were also pick magnets but Asante was a self made guy who dropped a few picks rookie year and then hit the jugs in offseason and made himself some money becoming a magnet. Ty Law to me was a natural who was always graceful in practice and in 2003, balls would just seemingly stick to him. Thats what I am seeing from Logan this year. You either have ball skills or you dont. Devin dropped 2 easy INTS on Sunday. He needs to improve there. After his 7 picks as a rookie, I thought he was on his way but he could use some work there.

I believe Logan has 4 pics on the year which isnt saying much as Tavon in  did the same in 2012 and was in witness protection all year until last week. I am more impressed with the way he has got them. 2 of them were not easy catches at all. He seems to have a knack for being around the ball and he has great ball skills.

So here comes the bad news(you didnt expect a 100% positive thread did ya?)

For the past 5 years or so we have seen a disturbing pattern of 1st year DBs showing promise to coming back and regressing in their 2nd years. We can talk about Ellis Hobbs, DMC, Ras I, Tavon, and others and some have mentioned lack of coaching here but I aslo look at BB putting more on their shoulders in year 2 and some thriving and some not. How do we keep this new pick magnet from regressing next year? To some extent you can even say Dennard had a down year even if was more to do with injury. Anyways, I like the Kid and think he can be a big asset going forward to replace Arrington as a guy who can play the slot  BUT also play outside without the other QB getting a woody! Our 2 stallworths(Dennard, Talib) are BOTH question marks going into next year  and the play of Ryan may determine how BB handles the position in offseason. I would start with Arrington and ask him to take a paycut. Talib is still priority # 1 but maybe Dennard becomes trade bait? and Arrington stays in his role? I dont know but its time to consider maybe Logan>Dennard anyway..

So is he playing well because his snaps are limited and will he struggle next year if put into a starting role? and should he remain a situational/backup player?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Protecting the New Pick Magnet!

I was one who also questioned why so many rutger players. On the outside looking in, it looked like lazy scouting and questionable judgement but I always call em straight and Devin, Harmon, and Logan look to be players and thats fine with me. Would I have liked to see them draft eslewhere? maybe but at the end of the day I cant complain if they ae producing. Harmon seems to be on the right path.

In regards to Logan, I had heard he was able to press and also was a good tackler, but he dropped due to inconsistent coverage. This is why Im a bit concerned if he goes backwards if faced with a starting role and a year of film out(Think McCourty 2nd year) Thats why I think he is ideal to play slot and go outside in a pinch w/out us panicking.

So Im hoping he keeps progressing but if we can keep Talib(and he is healthy), Dennard(out of jail, and healthy) Ryan keeps progressing, I see Arrington as the odd man or 4th CB and making 4 mill may be ..edit..IS too much to pay for a dime back. Its good to have options but Im thinking the Pats would have been golden if they signed Arrington to a one year deal this offseason and then could cut him and turn to Ryan but hindsight is 20/20.....  oh well

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I was one who also questioned why so many rutger players. On the outside looking in, it looked like lazy scouting and questionable judgement but I always call em straight and Devin, Harmon, and Logan look to be players and thats fine with me. Would I have liked to see them draft eslewhere? maybe but at the end of the day I cant complain if they ae producing. Harmon seems to be on the right path.

In regards to Logan, I had heard he was able to press and also was a good tackler, but he dropped due to inconsistent coverage. This is why Im a bit concerned if he goes backwards if faced with a starting role and a year of film out(Think McCourty 2nd year) Thats why I think he is ideal to play slot and go outside in a pinch w/out us panicking.

So Im hoping he keeps progressing but if we can keep Talib(and he is healthy), Dennard(out of jail, and healthy) Ryan keeps progressing, I see Arrington as the odd man or 4th CB and making 4 mill may be ..edit..IS too much to pay for a dime back. Its good to have options but Im thinking the Pats would have been golden if they signed Arrington to a one year deal this offseason and then could cut him and turn to Ryan but hindsight is 20/20.....  oh well

If they don't resign Talib, Arrington won't be seen as being too pricey for one of the best nickels in the league and in such an important role.

Arrington would have gotten more than a year contract from someone else, dude.

His slot work last year and in year's past when he has played there, ranks highly.  A team who needed one would have given him more than a 1 year deal.

Pretty harsh to pretend BB could have gotten away with that and have known that Ryan would ascend as highly as he as a rookie and BB not knowing about Talib's health or Dennard's off field situation.

Arrington is at least reliable in terms of being there on gamedays.

Can never have enough CBs as BB clearly believes in.

of course. Never can have enough DBs. I agree and Im not saying BB should have known cuz based on his track record in the draft w/Cbs, he probably thought locking up Arrington was essential. I get that he is good in the slot, good tackler, versatile but he is more comfortable being asked to play DE than outside CB...lol,. whatever. Not my money but yes if Talib walks then having arrington locked up looks better and Dennard and Ryan are your def. starters baring a new free agent pickup or drafted guy that impresses. Dennard was having a good year until inuries kicked in. I dont like Dennard as the # 1 so no Talib means Ryan as your # 1 IMO due to being a tad taller(maybe even a better press player) and will he handle that well? Hopefully so

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I always liked the guy, his scouting report screamed Dennard's little brother to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I liked the pick at the time (althought I thought the kid played a little too clutchy/grabby and would get flagged like carzy). He has played well, he has improved so much in a short period of time it's incredible. I remember watching this kid in training camp and he was buried with the 4th stringers...he was getting smoked on every other play...even Tebow smoked him. He literally stood by himself a few feet away with his head down from the rest of the corners between drills/when they got a break.

I thought when they drafted him that he was a poor man's Ty Law. They are the same height, they both have that same flexibility/balance/smoothness when they run and try to stick with a guy. Some guys look herky jerky when they run with receivers, Law always looked under control and balanced...I see the same thing with Ryan. And they both play very physical. I'm not saying Ryan is Ty Law or headed to the hall of fame - he may very well be exposed next year - but right now he's doing great and Belichick puts him exactly where he needs to be.

Where was he selected? 3rd? So far so good, looks like a great pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

The two Rutgers DB's picked in the 3rd round last draft make up for Tavon Wilson ..great picks...BB knows what he's doing far better than certain loud mouthed "Babe-y" snake church follwers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I liked the pick at the time (althought I thought the kid played a little too clutchy/grabby and would get flagged like carzy). He has played well, he has improved so much in a short period of time it's incredible. I remember watching this kid in training camp and he was buried with the 4th stringers...he was getting smoked on every other play...even Tebow smoked him. He literally stood by himself a few feet away with his head down from the rest of the corners between drills/when they got a break.

I thought when they drafted him that he was a poor man's Ty Law. They are the same height, they both have that same flexibility/balance/smoothness when they run and try to stick with a guy. Some guys look herky jerky when they run with receivers, Law always looked under control and balanced...I see the same thing with Ryan. And they both play very physical. I'm not saying Ryan is Ty Law or headed to the hall of fame - he may very well be exposed next year - but right now he's doing great and Belichick puts him exactly where he needs to be.

Plays more like Dennard to me, same height, same speed, both good press CBs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Plays more like Dennard to me, same height, same speed, both good press CBs.

Dennard? Isn't he like 5'9"? And isn't Ryan 5'11"? I'll have to keep an eye out for the comparison, I do think Dennard is a hell of a little corner that plays tough too.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Yeah, no way Dennard & Ryan are the same height. Ryan is clearly taller and longer. Longer arms, smoother frame. He's really a natural athlete.

Dennard is like mighty-mouse. Smaller guy, bulky build, short arms. But he makes up for it with physicality and sheer-effort.

Ryan's ceiling is higher than Dennard's, who I believe has nearly peaked in terms what he can offer. A solid player, but he will always be just that. Solid, not spectacular. Ryan, I believe, has the potential to be spectacular with some grooming and experience. The guy is a natural athlete with incredible ball-skills. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

When he was drafted the only thing keeping him from the late first or second round was that cop incident in Nebraska...he was one, if not THE, best man up cover corner in the draft that year...his ceiling is pretty darned high as long as his health holds up...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to melswitts' comment:

When he was drafted the only thing keeping him from the late first or second round was that cop incident in Nebraska...he was one, if not THE, best man up cover corner in the draft that year...his ceiling is pretty darned high as long as his health holds up...

i liked the ryan pick when they drafted him. i admit that i knew nothing about harmon and though it odd to have two guys from the rutgers secondary go that high. very good draft last year. we have a couple of good young corners who have made an impact in their first year. tough thing for a rookie corner.  remembering back to last season when dennard had to go into a game for his first extended action. it was against denver and manning went right at him three straight times. dennard was on thomas and denied him every time. it wasnt luck either as dennard turned and made a play on the ball every time.. knocking it away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In respect to Darrens Sharper's segment on NFL network I have to proclaim a NEW pick magnet for 2013. I recently caught this peice and it was on the infamous Dick Sherman who has been a pick magnet this year. If anyone knows about INT's, its Darren Sharper, one of my favorites when he played for Minnesota and has a career 63 PICKS!!!!

I have a new candidate for the pick magnet.

Logan Ryan. Some picks you just have a good feeling about. Now I am not saying I predicted him to be a pick magnet, but I did like him coming out, but more for his ability to tackle and help out in the run game. My theory is that most CBs drafted high are mostly drafted due to their cover skills. I never heard anything about his cover skills or ball skills. He was touted as 3rd/4th round type who struggled at times in coverage but had NFL tacking skills out the gate. This is important to me cuz it tells me the player wont be intimidated by the whole NFL aura and if he can come up and stick a 230 lb RB, he likely wont back down from an NFL WR. Thats why I like those guys in the Antoine Winfield mold cuz they are less likely to be a bust. NFL CB is more about confidence and swagger than Talent to me.

Ty Law/Asante were also pick magnets but Asante was a self made guy who dropped a few picks rookie year and then hit the jugs in offseason and made himself some money becoming a magnet. Ty Law to me was a natural who was always graceful in practice and in 2003, balls would just seemingly stick to him. Thats what I am seeing from Logan this year. You either have ball skills or you dont. Devin dropped 2 easy INTS on Sunday. He needs to improve there. After his 7 picks as a rookie, I thought he was on his way but he could use some work there.

I believe Logan has 4 pics on the year which isnt saying much as Tavon in  did the same in 2012 and was in witness protection all year until last week. I am more impressed with the way he has got them. 2 of them were not easy catches at all. He seems to have a knack for being around the ball and he has great ball skills.

So here comes the bad news(you didnt expect a 100% positive thread did ya?)

For the past 5 years or so we have seen a disturbing pattern of 1st year DBs showing promise to coming back and regressing in their 2nd years. We can talk about Ellis Hobbs, DMC, Ras I, Tavon, and others and some have mentioned lack of coaching here but I aslo look at BB putting more on their shoulders in year 2 and some thriving and some not. How do we keep this new pick magnet from regressing next year? To some extent you can even say Dennard had a down year even if was more to do with injury. Anyways, I like the Kid and think he can be a big asset going forward to replace Arrington as a guy who can play the slot  BUT also play outside without the other QB getting a woody! Our 2 stallworths(Dennard, Talib) are BOTH question marks going into next year  and the play of Ryan may determine how BB handles the position in offseason. I would start with Arrington and ask him to take a paycut. Talib is still priority # 1 but maybe Dennard becomes trade bait? and Arrington stays in his role? I dont know but its time to consider maybe Logan>Dennard anyway..

So is he playing well because his snaps are limited and will he struggle next year if put into a starting role? and should he remain a situational/backup player?

Actually he has 5 with a game to go and also leads the team.  Be interesting to compare him and talib as to how many snaps played

Interceptions PlayerIntYdsYds/IntLongTD Logan Ryan 5 82 16.4 79 1 Aqib Talib 4 12 3.0 14 0 Duron Harmon 2 44 22.0 42 0 Kyle Arrington 1 5 5.0 5 0 Marquice Cole 1 0 0.0 0 0 Alfonzo Dennard 1 0 0.0 0 0 Devin McCourty 1 0 0.0 0 0 Brandon Spikes 1 3 3.0 3 0 Tavon Wilson 1 74 74.0 74 1 TOTAL 17 220 12.9 79 2

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Have rooted for every player BB ever has brought in

I remember earlier in the yr someone posted how Bb had drafted the wrong Rutgers db as one had been on SF , waived then picked by KC and kc was then the great defensive team

I think BB picked up the right guys

Bb has taken a beating here for his DB picks, it's not a science

All I know now is that the D can get coverage sacks and pressures. and in today's gamec with all of the trips and TEs we better have them all and if Arringtons call is the slot, I can not bytch about his cap hit. he makes plays, and has good ball skills

Cannot think about next yr. 

Am looking at the remaining Ds in the AFC playoffs, Denver to me seems the weakest

But if we play again, they will have their TE, but the replacement TE killed us too. 

We will need all of these guys, but now Collins is coming on. I see him the DBS worried about the pass D and the others taking care of the LOS.

This has been a terrific year for BB the GM and BB the coach

can only hope we get to the promised  land -not to be  a bible thumper lol

btw OG and Rusty, really enjoyed the dialogue

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

In response to melswitts' comment:

i liked the ryan pick when they drafted him. i admit that i knew nothing about harmon and though it odd to have two guys from the rutgers secondary go that high. very good draft last year. we have a couple of good young corners who have made an impact in their first year. tough thing for a rookie corner.  remembering back to last season when dennard had to go into a game for his first extended action. it was against denver and manning went right at him three straight times. dennard was on thomas and denied him every time. it wasnt luck either as dennard turned and made a play on the ball every time.. knocking it away.

McCourty picked up Thomas and McCourty was demolished.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Yeah, no way Dennard & Ryan are the same height. Ryan is clearly taller and longer. Longer arms, smoother frame. He's really a natural athlete.

Dennard is like mighty-mouse. Smaller guy, bulky build, short arms. But he makes up for it with physicality and sheer-effort.

Ryan's ceiling is higher than Dennard's, who I believe has nearly peaked in terms what he can offer. A solid player, but he will always be just that. Solid, not spectacular. Ryan, I believe, has the potential to be spectacular with some grooming and experience. The guy is a natural athlete with incredible ball-skills. 

Great Analysis. I concur and also believe Ryan has a chance to be better as I stated at the end of the thread. I think Ideally I would want Talib as my # 1, Ryan on the other side with Dennard in the slot and Arrington as the 4th CB so when inury strikes, he moves up to the slot where he is comfortable. He may play over Ryan just because of his paycheck also..

Sections
Shortcuts