Punter discussion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Punter discussion

I don't like to do "Mock" drafts because there are to many variables, but I like to handicap prospects at their position. And this is a major need in my opinion for the Patriots and if it was me I wouldn't let Boone slip to another team.

My prefered Punter 1a option:
    Jeremy Boone Penn St.
    Projected round 5-6
    43 yard average and very proficient at kicks inside the 20 Considered a top directional punter (roughly 33%, over 25% all 4 years) which lowered his numbers a bit. Penn St. career average punting leader and draws special intrest from Patriots because of good character with many philanthropic activities and is smart and recognized for numerous academic achievements which you know the Patriots love. If the Patriots want him they might have to draft in 5th round or risk losing the chance. This guy was born to be a Patriot in my opinion.

1b punter option:
    Zoltan Mesko Michigan
    4 year starter over 41 yards all 4 years, averaged 44.5 40.9 net in 2009, 29% of punts inside the 20. Giants are suposidly high on him.

My Back up punter:
    Matt Dodge East Carolina
    Projected round 5-6
    45.9 yard average 39.2 net, good inside the 20 punting. 4 year starter who improved each season. can kick off as well. Cleveland is high on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: Punter discussion

BTW I also put Brandtner in the poll because he is the only other Punter I knew of that could be drafted this is a 3 deep draft for Punters with Brandtner a late 7th round option maybe the first inline for a free agent deal. Most have this as a very weak draft for Punters with the 3 I listed as the only draftable punters and Boone is the only consensus top punter Zoltan had ups and downs but has a cannon for a leg and Dodge is a solid prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

I have seen a couple of Michigan games where I saw Zoltan punt and boy he has legs!
    His punts are booming and extremely impressive hang time. BB prefers punters who have high hang time than powerful legs. His philosophy is that if punter can keep the ball in the air long enough for the gunner and co to make their play, then he has done his job well. With Zoltan, it is a rare combo of strength and hangtime. He can effectively pin opposing teams in their 10-20 y line. Some scouts are already touted him to be one of the best punters in the last few drafts. I know many teams will be eyeing him, so we have to take him with out 4th. If BB gets 3rd rounders via trade, then it will be good to pick him earlier. We need a good punter as Hanson is not a dynamic kicker. Zoltan can use canon legs, or hang time depending on the situation. This is pretty rare for a punter. Imagine him as a WR who can play slot like Welker and run a 4.3 and be a deep threat like Moss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What?

You guys don't like Chris Hanson?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

All of the above sans #1.

Punting was a joke in 2009.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

Will BB take a punter in the draft?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Tim Tebow, though he has an awkward, slow roundhouse kicking motion that will have to be worked on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't see BB wasting a draft choice on a punter especially in the 3rd or 4th round,if one is still on the board in the 7th round then he maybe drafts him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Isn't anyone going to say Tag and Trade him. LOL. Whatever it takes to get a new punter in here I'm for it. Every other punter in the league can kill the ball consistently inside the 10. It can't be that hard to find one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

wait it out and get Bosher from the Miami Huricanes next year, this guy has a strong leg and kicks FGs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Aren't there any athletes out there that could to all the kicking. Think about it teams could save a roster spot and use it somewhere else. Come on there isn't anybody out there that can punt and place kick? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Punter discussion:
    Come on there isn't anybody out there that can punt and place kick? 
    Posted by harleyroadking103

yes, read my post above yours

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

It would help if I could read....it's not easy being an illiterate poster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

This would be an upgrade and it's Italian.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Bosher from Miami isn't an option this year but I agree it is an interesting thought but you would have to have a back up option because if he gets hurt you need two players to replace him... I think he is drafted as a punter and maybe kicks off and is the emergency kicker.
    I just do not want to go one more year with Hansen or another clone of his. The one good thing is Boone, Zoltan and Dodge all have good distance and hangtime and they are all better then Hansen at droping inside the 20 but Boone is the master at directional punting which I think out weighs the fact his distance is a couple yards shorter...because of the % of inside the 20 kicks I think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Couple cool things about Zoltan and Dodge is that they can do pretty accurate "rugby-type" wobbling kicks in order to limit a very good threatening punt returner's easy look/read on even a big booming, but normal-looking punt.  Zoltan's also left-footed, which, as the punt now wobbles differently than the vast majority of punters (because they're right-footed), It further messes with the returner's read of the kick.  Unfortunately, with both guys, hey ake awhile extra to get the punt off, which is sorta scarry. 

Boone, a least imo, offers more security in not messing up in any way (decent hang-time, time-to-get he punt off, decent direction, decent-enough distance), but Overall, He offers alot less upside than the other 2 (plus, how high a pick would NE have to use to secure the most "developed" punter in Boone that can come in and punt right away, rather than 2 guys that have flaws in their game, but imo-far bigger potential?)... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Laz... that is my delemma also refering to the "upside potential of Zoltan and Dodge" but I also think it is a bit backhanded to say Boone is just the safe pick because he is the most developed and could step in right away with less chance to mess up then the other two.

It comes down to I agree he could step in right away and that is a big factor in drafting him, but I want to stabilise the position for the next 5-6 years or beyond and he could do that especially with his far superior ability to directional punt and his high rate of inside the 20 kicks. Add to that his intelligence and Character and this is a PSD Patriot Slam Dunk! 

BTW...I also looked at his #'s and his numbers get skewed massively by his ability to short punt and directional punt when he is punting from his own 40 in.  Considering the Patriots are likely to maintain a strong offense for the forseable future I don't see them needing to punt from inside their own 30 very often which means a punter with Boones ability is very enticing.