PUP list is a SHAM!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

PUP list is a SHAM!

Now how could the Patriots know that Brandon Tate is capable of contributing to this team?

He missed all of the OTA's, training camp and preseason. He's only practiced with the team 3 days at the most!

I'll tell you how they knew. There is much more individual/none complete team workouts than fans are aware of. I'm willing to guess that Tate has caught plenty of passes from Tom Brady since the start of the season. I'd also conjecture that he has run routes with Welker and Moss -- with Brady tossing passes. All of this would be completely within NFL guidelines as I interpret them. Tate's only restriction would be team practices, or organized team activities. A few players tossing a ball and running would be acceptable. 

I find the entire PUP process misleading and a sham. It's just a way to store extra players for future use. I'm not criticizing the Patriots. I'm blaming the NFL for allowing such ridiculousness.

-- dx7

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Re: PUP list is a SHAM!

In Response to PUP list is a SHAM!:
    [QUOTE]Now how could the Patriots know that Brandon Tate is capable of contributing to this team? He missed all of the OTA's, training camp and preseason. He's only practiced with the team 3 days at the most! I'll tell you how they knew. There is much more individual/none complete team workouts than fans are aware of. I'm willing to guess that Tate has caught plenty of passes from Tom Brady since the start of the season. I'd also conjecture that he has run routes with Welker and Moss -- with Brady tossing passes. All of this would be completely within NFL guidelines as I interpret them. Tate's only restriction would be team practices, or organized team activities. A few players tossing a ball and running would be acceptable.  I find the entire PUP process misleading and a sham. It's just a way to store extra players for future use. I'm not criticizing the Patriots. I'm blaming the NFL for allowing such ridiculousness. -- dx7
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

You're right. I would have much preferred to see him run with half an ACL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

You're just bitter that Tate is starting over Nunn, after your blatant lie of headline earlier this week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Now how could the Patriots know that Brandon Tate is capable of contributing to this team? He missed all of the OTA's, training camp and preseason. He's only practiced with the team 3 days at the most! I'll tell you how they knew. There is much more individual/none complete team workouts than fans are aware of. I'm willing to guess that Tate has caught plenty of passes from Tom Brady since the start of the season. I'd also conjecture that he has run routes with Welker and Moss -- with Brady tossing passes. All of this would be completely within NFL guidelines as I interpret them. Tate's only restriction would be team practices, or organized team activities. A few players tossing a ball and running would be acceptable.  I find the entire PUP process misleading and a sham. It's just a way to store extra players for future use. I'm not criticizing the Patriots. I'm blaming the NFL for allowing such ridiculousness. -- dx7
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

Ever consider that the NFL turns a blind eye because of the large amount of starters each team loses over the season? If they were to strictly enforce the PUP rules they'd have to increase roster size, the cap size etc etc.

That said the Tate inlury has been completely legit. If he can run, cut and execute some basic patterns he'll contribute just by drawing coverage. If the Bucs ignore him Brady won't hesitate to throw to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Excellent point! That is likely the reason, but it's not a good excuse
    for tolerating a murky process.

--dx7

In Response to Re: PUP list is a SHAM!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to PUP list is a SHAM! : Ever consider that the NFL turns a blind eye because of the large amount of starters each team loses over the season? If they were to strictly enforce the PUP rules they'd have to increase roster size, the cap size etc etc. That said the Tate inlury has been completely legit. If he can run, cut and execute some basic patterns he'll contribute just by drawing coverage. If the Bucs ignore him Brady won't hesitate to throw to him.
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent point! That is likely the reason, but it's not a good excuse for tolerating a murky process. --dx7 In Response to Re: PUP list is a SHAM! :
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

maybe Nunn should go on the PUP.  May give him a chance of being active on Sunday; the PS isn't helping his cause, that's for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

You learn the most about players by seeing them on the field.  The PUP list prevents the players on it from being on the field on game day, or even for organized practices.  We wouldn't know anything about Nunn's abilities if he was on PUP, there's no reason to think ill of Tate just because he's using the PUP to not play until he's healthy.  Now it's time to see what he can do, maybe not this week, but in the next few weeks I suspect he will see some snaps at WR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Brandon Tate was picked in the 3rd round WITH a torn ACL and a positive drug test.

Terrence Nunn was undrafted, and completely out of football for a year, while healthy.

Do you guys sense a little difference in talent there?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kb87. Show kb87's posts

How's the list a "sham"? The player was hurt, now he's not. Thus, he couldn't play or practice why should the team have to waste a roster spot? How could u possibly be against the PUP list? You must b one board Football fan? Jeez..............................

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

I like Tate and have high hopes for him, and I think the Pats really like him and know a lot more about him than we do! I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 45 man game day roster. I also expect that he will be on the kick return team. Not sure if he will be the primary returner. I don't expect to see him get reps as a receiver. He's probably still a little raw at this point despite the individual activities he's participated in ;)

-- dx

[QUOTE]You learn the most about players by seeing them on the field.  The PUP list prevents the players on it from being on the field on game day, or even for organized practices.  We wouldn't know anything about Nunn's abilities if he was on PUP, there's no reason to think ill of Tate just because he's using the PUP to not play until he's healthy.  Now it's time to see what he can do, maybe not this week, but in the next few weeks I suspect he will see some snaps at WR.
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]I like Tate and have high hopes for him, and I think the Pats really like him and know a lot more about him than we do! I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 45 man game day roster. I also expect that he will be on the kick return team. Not sure if he will be the primary returner. I don't expect to see him get reps as a receiver. He's probably still a little raw at this point despite the individual activities he's participated in ;) -- dx In Response to Re: PUP list is a SHAM! :
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

He should be on the kickoff/punt return team (though probably not on the hands teams), no arguments there.  I just think he'll see reps at WR simply out of necessity with Edelman's forearm injury.  Unless I'm forgetting someone, the Pats only have Moss, Welker, and Aiken as pure WR's and with the injuries at RB, they may not even be able to spread Maroney out wide.

Could we possibly see Watson in more of a Dallas Clark type of role this week?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

I don't think we'll go four wides in this game because of the shortage of WR's. Watson will be more involved as well as the backs. Aiken is serviceable against the Bucs.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PUP list is a SHAM! : He should be on the kickoff/punt return team (though probably not on the hands teams), no arguments there.  I just think he'll see reps at WR simply out of necessity with Edelman's forearm injury.  Unless I'm forgetting someone, the Pats only have Moss, Welker, and Aiken as pure WR's and with the injuries at RB, they may not even be able to spread Maroney out wide. Could we possibly see Watson in more of a Dallas Clark type of role this week?
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]Brandon Tate was picked in the 3rd round WITH a torn ACL and a positive drug test. Terrence Nunn was undrafted, and completely out of football for a year, while healthy. Do you guys sense a little difference in talent there?
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson must be superstars since they were drafted high in the 2nd round....

Draft position means very little in the NFL, it may get you an extra chance or 2 (see Maroney and Watson compared to BJGE), but if you can play and be productive you have a place on the team regardless of draft status.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Not at all. There is a long list of undrafted player in the NFL that have been better than drafted players. We have too on our team that come to mind Gary Guyton and Tully Banta-Cain. Again I really like Tate, but that has nothing to do with where he was drafted. We'll see about the talent. I hope they both have it -- I'm greedy!!
    [QUOTE]Brandon Tate was picked in the 3rd round WITH a torn ACL and a positive drug test. Terrence Nunn was undrafted, and completely out of football for a year, while healthy. Do you guys sense a little difference in talent there?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Right, but Tate is going to get his chance before Nunn gets his chance, because he is a more highly regarded prospect.  That was my point.  Neither are proven NFL players yet, and based on physical ability, Tate has a sizable advantage.  Hopefully he performs.  If he doesn't, then Nunn may get his chance as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Belichick doesn't operate that way. The best player plays. That tells me that Bill's evaluation has Tate ahead of Nunn by a good distance. That's not to say that Nunn won't make up ground on Tate in the future.

-- dx7
    [QUOTE]Right, but Tate is going to get his chance before Nunn gets his chance, because he is a more highly regarded prospect.  That was my point.  Neither are proven NFL players yet, and based on physical ability, Tate has a sizable advantage.  Hopefully he performs.  If he doesn't, then Nunn may get his chance as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]Right, but Tate is going to get his chance before Nunn gets his chance, because he is a more highly regarded prospect.  That was my point.  Neither are proven NFL players yet, and based on physical ability, Tate has a sizable advantage.  Hopefully he performs.  If he doesn't, then Nunn may get his chance as well.

There's also more to it than that.  BB was able to get Nunn through waivers to the practice squad, Tate would have been claimed.  Also Nunn isn't a guy that you can call up for a game or 2, I don't think he'd clear waivers a second time to go back to the practice squad (unless NFL waivers are like baseball and once you clear waivers you're clear for the season basically.  I'm not sure about this in the NFL).  Tate has more value than just a WR as he can also be a solid return man, maybe the person we've been looking for to replace Hobbs' production in the return game.  Nunn will have his day, it just may not be this season (unless there are even more injuries or if Edelman's forearm injury is serious.

Does anyone know what happened to it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]Belichick doesn't operate that way. The best player plays. That tells me that Bill's evaluation has Tate ahead of Nunn by a good distance. That's not to say that Nunn won't make up ground on Tate in the future. -- dx7 In Response to Re: PUP list is a SHAM! :
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

I think this is right. Nunn is a great feel good story, but I think Tate adds ST ability that Nunn does not have. I am sure that BB likes Tate more, but maybe not at receiver but on ST. With Edelman out I think Tate will return. I hope Nunn gets his shot, but I also hope Tate is the real deal. We have Moss, Welker, Edelman, Aiken, Tate and Nunn. If Nunn is good they will make room and Aiken will be more ST than reciever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

To clarify, when I said that we only had Moss, Welker, and Aiken I meant non-injured players on the 53 man roster other than Tate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

its not a sham.  If tate was fit enough to go in training camp BELIEVE ME he would have.  The real football practices he has missed are huge, the only reason he was on the injured list is because well HE WAS INJURED. nobody stashes good players. If you have good players you playthem.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Also, Tate's becoming eligible caused Joey Galloway to be cashiered.  Tate is bringing it deep tomorrow.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]Also, Tate's becoming eligible caused Joey Galloway to be cashiered.  Tate is bringing it deep tomorrow.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Galloway was cashiered because he didn't display a knowledge of the offensive scheme and it appeared Brady didn't trust him.  He was cut as a favor to him after being a healthy scratch 3 straight weeks.  Had the Pats waited even an additional day, he would have been stuck on waivers until December, the way the Pats did it he is a FA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I was thinking myself earlier that if Tate lines up as a WR then he definitely got some practice in while on PUP; albeit not official.  If all he does is return kicks, it's probably much ado about nothing.  That said, you could hardly blame Brady and some of the receivers for throwing some balls around outside of the official team practices.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

When Moss joined the team they frequently got together and worked on their timing.  All of that was unofficial, so there is certainly the precedent for Brady to work outside of "office hours".  That being said we should remember that Tate is coming off of a torn ACL and MCL from last October, so the chances that they've had much time to work aren't that high.  At the very least I can't imagine Tate has been able to make cuts at full speed since the beginning of the season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

Tate played in a smiliar system in College, so for the most part he only had to learn the terminilogy. Already a step ahead of Galloway.

In terms of timing, he had all week to practice with Tom and obviously Bill liked what he saw. We'll see that on the field, but imagine he will run simple routes for the first few plays to get the first game jitters out of the way.