Put Talib on Graham W/Help?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Put Talib on Graham W/Help?

It's a good idea. Frankly not sure what else we could do. Graham is a TE that runs like a WR. Our biggest corner Talib is still giving up 6 inches on graham. you got to whack graham and just like the pats offense disrupt their timing. Difference is Bree's is decent when he gets out of the pocket, unlike Brady. It may be the toughest O we face all year including the broncos. The d has their work cut out for them. I have confidence in whatever gameplan bb draws up. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

yes, talib on graham is a must. Colston is not what he once was and Dennard is playing great, like you said, so Dennard on Colston goes adv. Pats. If we put Talib on Jimmy, I say he have Hightower chip Graham off the line to slow his route uo and hopefully the front 4 can get pressure. and then put McCourty as a shadow over graham just as they did Julio. If Talib can set the tone physically and try to beat up graham w/ hightowe off the line thst may get to graham.

If lance moore plays i'd be worried about Arrington on him. He struggles against quicker guys. Mayo hasn't had his best season when it comes to pass coverage so Sproles will be a real test on him. he played GREAT last week and i expect him to be up to the challenge on sproles and maybe jst hit him a lot.

gonna be a great matchup

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Yeah, I think you hammer him in man with Talib and maybe a Hightower or Mayo and then have McCourty pick up the route from there to help Talib.

I think in man coverage that might be the best option. 

I think if they succeed in this area, they can hold the Saints to around 20 points.

consistent pressure is the key here. we can play man if the D-line gets pressure

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

yes, talib on graham is a must. Colston is not what he once was and Dennard is playing great, like you said, so Dennard on Colston goes adv. Pats. If we put Talib on Jimmy, I say he have Hightower chip Graham off the line to slow his route uo and hopefully the front 4 can get pressure. and then put McCourty as a shadow over graham just as they did Julio. If Talib can set the tone physically and try to beat up graham w/ hightowe off the line thst may get to graham.

If lance moore plays i'd be worried about Arrington on him. He struggles against quicker guys. Mayo hasn't had his best season when it comes to pass coverage so Sproles will be a real test on him. he played GREAT last week and i expect him to be up to the challenge on sproles and maybe jst hit him a lot.

gonna be a great matchup

I also disagree completely on your Arrington analysis. He's superb against the WRS who aren't big and play the slot. That's where he thrives.

Once outside the hashes or 10+ yards down field in man, against larger WRs, that is where he can lose his edge.

I noticed he was removed from the injury report with his hammy issue, which is great news. Sounds like Moore has a "hand" issue which is usally some kind of a broken bone that a player is playing through.

harrry douglas killed Arrrignton. thats what moore reminds me of

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

No he didn't. I think he had 1 catch and that was in a game where most players wouldn't have played with a hammy trying to cover like that.  I was surprised Arrington played having injured the hamstring at the end of the TB game.

douglas had 5 grabs for 68. and Arrington had him all game. I'm just saying don't expect a shutdown game from Arr. against Moore. He can play very good but also make mistakes that can be killer. Arrington is a TON better in the slot but the Saints put moore on the outiside. Coltson plays slot alot. So he'll have to cover a lot more ground if moore plays the outside

•  

Yep. That 1 catch late in the game going across the field was the only good play Douglas made.

I don't think play happens with a 100% Arrington.  It's fascinating to me how Arrington is lights out in the role from Weeks 1 - 3 and people want to ignore his groin/hamstring injury.

http://nesn.com/2013/09/kyle-arrington-listed-as-limited-in-practice-with-thigh-injury-explaining-absence-at-end-of-buccaneers-game/

im not denying Arrington's play week 1-3 was great. i thoguht he was our Defensive MVP. he was making plays all over the field

No he didn't. I think he had 1 catch and that was in a game where most players wouldn't have played with a hammy trying to cover like that.  I was surprised Arrington played having injured the hamstring at the end of the TB game.

douglas had 5 grabs for 68. and Arrington had him all game. I'm just saying don't expect a shutdown game from Arr. against Moore. He can play very good but also make mistakes that can be killer. Arrington is a TON better in the slot but the Saints put moore on the outiside. Coltson plays slot alot. So he'll have to cover a lot more ground if moore plays the outside

Yeah, 1 of the grabs went for like 35 yards or something with a guy in coverage battling a groin/upper leg injury.

Do you read anything I post in here?  Have you ever been bothered by a hammy tweak or a groin while trying to run at your normal speed when you played sports?

Lance Moore is not some start slot guy. Arrington went against Welker for 4 years here, which partly explains why he's so good in the middle.

i'm sorry if you're gonna man up and play through an injury im not making any exceptions. if you're too hurt to do you're job take a week off and let Ryan get some action. thats my opinon. and yes i have played sports with a tweaked groin. and i did fine for a little but after a while i couldnt play to the level the team needed so i took myself out for the team. just makes sense in my mind.

look i know arrington is good. he makes great plays consistently but also seems to struggle some days in coverage thats all

•  

Lastly, please don't talk about "manning up" when guys like Arrington play through injuries and someone like Gronk would rather sit home with a 12 pack and watch our team on tv.

so true. im so done with Gronk. in my mind I've planned out the season w/o Gronk now. like whatever there.

but on the other hand i think defensively we match up great against NO. correct?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I don't think you should put Talib on Graham. Jam him at the line with a linebacker and play bracket coverage over the top with a safety.

The danger besides Graham this week is keeping Thomas & Sproles contained on the outside. The Saints love to get the ball to those guys on the outside in space. It is going to be a very busy day for the LB's and safeties. That being said I don't think we will see much of Spikes.

Lastly, please don't talk about "manning up" when guys like Arrington play through injuries and someone like Gronk would rather sit home with a 12 pack and watch our team on tv.

so true. im so done with Gronk. in my mind I've planned out the season w/o Gronk now. like whatever there.

but on the other hand i think defensively we match up great against NO. correct?

Agreed. Yes, I feel we do match up well against a NOS or a Denver. Yes.

i feel like we match up great with Denver, we can slow the offense and they wont stop our crap O either.

I feel another low scoring this weekend. winner only needs 21-24

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I like our defensive weapons, and certainly think we can slow the Saints down a bit.

Talib on Graham, Dennard on Colston, some combination of Mayo and Collins on Sproles, and let Arrington, Ryan, McCourty, et al. take care of the rest. The d-line... Jones, Nink, and Buchanon in particular are going to have to have a big game. If they can disrupt Brees, move him off his spot, and keep the running game contained, the defense will hold their own. At that point, it's up to the offense to score some points and control the ball.

Easier said than done, but if all 3-phases can have strong performances, considering that this game is at home, no reason we can't win.

Everyone wrote us off against the Falcons -- same deal here. This team plays better as the underdog. The second they become frontrunners, or get a big head, that's when we run into trouble. That was seen against the Bengals.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

First, there is no way that Lance Moore plays unless he is at 100%.  Payton's MO since he has been with the Saints is to ALWAYS play the healthy alternative.  Kenny Stills will be there.

Second, I am expecting Payton to take advantage of the lack of Wilfork in the middle.  It may not happen early, but it will occur.  Add to that the defensive push up the middle is the one true defense of Brees, just as it is to Brady.  Wilfork's absence and the Saints' huge rookie NT John Jenkins will be a big factor.

Third, the best offense to use against a Rob Ryan led defense (which, by the way, has been picked up quite well by the players) is to go no huddle to limit defensive substitutions.  THAT. as all of you that have been watching the Patriots this season is not an option, at least on any sustained basis.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Every so often, put Jamie Collins on Graham:

Collins is 6 foot 3 with long arms plus outstanding leaping ability.  Collins has the length to reach around Graham and knock the ball out of Graham's hands.  Graham simply can't out-jump Collins.

At 250 pounds versus 205 for Talib, Collins won't get hip-bumped out of the way very far, nor can Graham simply box the big guy out.

Runs a 2.64 40, not bad for a heavyweight.  More important, Collins is a star on the 3-cone drill for a linebacker.   There's almost nobody in the NFL as quick and as big.  Graham won't be that open to the inside or to the outside after his cut. 

Collins's only problem is being a rookie.  At least he's been on the field, part time, for 5 games.  Keep it vanilla for Collins.  As with Talib, let Collins handle the front side and have help deep. 

If Collins works out with the Jugs machine, he might possibly wind up as a tight end himself. Who can stop him?  He'd better develop soft hands, tho.

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Every so often, put Jamie Collins on Graham:

Collins is 6 foot 3 with long arms plus outstanding leaping ability.  Collins has the length to reach around Graham and knock the ball out of Graham's hands.  Graham simply can't out-jump Collins.

At 250 pounds versus 205 for Talib, Collins won't get hip-bumped out of the way very far, nor can Graham simply box the big guy out.

Runs a 2.64 40, not bad for a heavyweight.  More important, Collins is a star on the 3-cone drill for a linebacker.   There's almost nobody in the NFL as quick and as big.  Graham won't be that open to the inside or to the outside after his cut. 

Collins's only problem is being a rookie.  At least he's been on the field, part time, for 5 games.  Keep it vanilla for Collins.  As with Talib, let Collins handle the front side and have help deep. 

If Collins works out with the Jugs machine, he might possibly wind up as a tight end himself. Who can stop him?  He'd better develop soft hands, tho.

Graham would lose him with his route and at 6'7" with excellent jumping ability himself, he would still own that area where Brees puts the ball.

One point to consider is that the Payton coached Saints have now won 14 consecutive regular season games.  They won the last nine of 2011 and the first five (so far) this year.  This is a real solid squad being handled correctly.

I agree. I actually like how everyone is picking the Saints. Things usually work out well when we lose the week prior and everyone can't wait to write off a BB coached team.   

i love being the underdog. i feel BB gets the guys to play alot harder to show the Pats dominace again

•  

In response to AsylumGuido's comment:

First, there is no way that Lance Moore plays unless he is at 100%.  Payton's MO since he has been with the Saints is to ALWAYS play the healthy alternative.  Kenny Stills will be there.

Second, I am expecting Payton to take advantage of the lack of Wilfork in the middle.  It may not happen early, but it will occur.  Add to that the defensive push up the middle is the one true defense of Brees, just as it is to Brady.  Wilfork's absence and the Saints' huge rookie NT John Jenkins will be a big factor.

Third, the best offense to use against a Rob Ryan led defense (which, by the way, has been picked up quite well by the players) is to go no huddle to limit defensive substitutions.  THAT. as all of you that have been watching the Patriots this season is not an option, at least on any sustained basis.

We have played 3 games without a healthy Wilfork (sprained ankle in Buffalo that never got right) and in Atlanta and Cincy.

In either situation, 

Plus, your run game isn't a strenght. This ain't Chicago with them not having Melton or Collins.

We'll be down VInce and Kelly, but Brandon Spikes will be used like he was last week near the line of scrimmage.

Don't expect some kind of a whirlwind result with your running game. Ingram with turf toe and Thomas has a lot of miles on him, which is why your run game is off this year.

There doesn't need to be a whirlwind result.  There just needs to be minimal success.  Do not forget that the Saints use the extremely high percentage short pass as an extension of the run game.  If you truly knew as much as you claim to know about the Saints you would know that.  (yes, I am still gigging you on that earlier bogus bravado claim).

I agree. I actually like how everyone is picking the Saints. Things usually work out well when we lose the week prior and everyone can't wait to write off a BB coached team.   

i love being the underdog. i feel BB gets the guys to play alot harder to show the Pats dominace again

But Vegas has the Pats as favorites.

•  

In response to dreighver's comment:

I like our defensive weapons, and certainly think we can slow the Saints down a bit.

Talib on Graham, Dennard on Colston, some combination of Mayo and Collins on Sproles, and let Arrington, Ryan, McCourty, et al. take care of the rest. The d-line... Jones, Nink, and Buchanon in particular are going to have to have a big game. If they can disrupt Brees, move him off his spot, and keep the running game contained, the defense will hold their own. At that point, it's up to the offense to score some points and control the ball.

Easier said than done, but if all 3-phases can have strong performances, considering that this game is at home, no reason we can't win.

Everyone wrote us off against the Falcons -- same deal here. This team plays better as the underdog. The second they become frontrunners, or get a big head, that's when we run into trouble. That was seen against the Bengals.

The key word you used is "usually".  Since Sean Payton and Drew Brees have been in NewOrleans they have routinely defied the concept of "usually", as well as that of "always".   They have repeatedly bucked every negative trend.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

As they should.

yeah but no one is actually picking them, also the line is 2.5; home normally gets 3 auto so Saints are technically .5 favorites on neutral ground

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I don't think you should put Talib on Graham. Jam him at the line with a linebacker and play bracket coverage over the top with a safety.

The danger besides Graham this week is keeping Thomas & Sproles contained on the outside. The Saints love to get the ball to those guys on the outside in space. It is going to be a very busy day for the LB's and safeties. That being said I don't think we will see much of Spikes.

Maybe a breakout game for Collins? 

What's the forecast for Sunday night? I agree with Russ that the saints are not quite the same team outside the dome. A little wind, cold should help. Can I do my snow dance now? 

That is correct. In fact, they're doing that to get people to take the bait on NOs, hoping what I just said above comes through.

NE does not lose 2 games in a row very often. In fact, it just doesn't really happen.  They did last year and each were games they totally blew and served up on a platter, but they were on the road (Balt and then Seattle).

I would imagine it was a very eager locker room watching film and practicing this week. Been kind of a "quiet" vibe this week in some ways.  Lots of guys coming off the injury reports or improving that have been hampered.

Sounds weird with the Gronk drama, but when these weeks seem sort of business as usual for this team, the results are usually good.

We'll see.

quick fact, back to last year the back2back L's were Arizona then Baltimore. They lost to Seattle 3 weeks later. just saying!

but exactly the Pats don;t lose two in a row especially coming back home. they'll be ready to go healthy or not.

Just checked on the weather for game time,..,high 50's, 10 mph winds, 20% chance of rain..Seems like ideal conditions.

Ahh. That's right.  Arizona and then the next week on the road in Balt where they got away from the run in Balt.

yes and the bs replacement refs called a holding call on DMC for touching Smith's hip giving them a first down on third and 15. i remember i lost my mind on that call.....

• Sections
    Shortcuts