QB Cheap Shots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

QB Cheap Shots

Favre was brutalized yesterday; Saints players did not care if they got called for penalties; they just wanted to abuse a 40 yr old man, and felt the occasional call was worth the risk (like a white collar criminal would pull) . Here's how to fix it; after first roughing the passer call in a game on a team, players committing subsequent infractions gets  30 yarder  PLUS automatic ejection.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: QB Cheap Shots

Roughing the passer calls have already gotten out of hand and are called WAY too much around the league.  Yesterday they kept the flags in their pockets, which can be construed as incorrect given the inconsistency from calls during most of the year.  However,  too many ticky-tack calls are made, and its ridiculously unfair for the defense to give away 15 free yards all the time.

Sorry but making it 30 yards and an ejection just makes the game a complete joke. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I would think a Ref already has the ability to eject a player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hooterdawg. Show hooterdawg's posts

PI calls are not reviewable becauseIt is purely a judgement call. It is committed on almost every play - like holding , and would be challenged on every play if it was reviewable. Games would be 5 hrs long.

Re: Sanchez knock down. He wasn't hit hard; he was merely pushed to the ground. Farve, on the other hand, was intentionally fouled. The Saints admitted it. In baseball, when the umpires get wind of the 'payback' intention to hit a batter, they warn the managers before the game even starts that they will eject quickly. I think the threat of ejection will protect against the intention to incur roughing the passer for intimidation or injury purposes. The refs in football need the flexibility to warn the coaches that ejections will follow. I bet Polian is already serving notice to the refs in the Superbowl that cheap shots will not be tolerated without retribution on Brees. It's every easy to just slam a QB after the ball has been released, or hit him low/high as happened to Farve without even a flag. 

Yes, 30 yds and an ejection is a complete joke to Pats fans - unless its Brady who gets hit.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

The lower leg tackle on Favre accomplished what was set out to do; injure him? I lost a lot of respect for the Saints defense with thier dirty play. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Have posted my thoughts on this under pass interference thread.

Absolute joke the comparison on penalties for PI and blatant late hits on QB's

Offenders should be automatically dismissed for part of the game eg time or downs. Ask Sanchez and Favre.

Could be a Super Bowl bloodbath on QB's. Why not take the QB out, virtually win the game and what's my penalty??? 15 yards. Seriously thought the NFL after Brady's hit last year were supposed to be aware of this.

Totally disgusted with some of those late hits in play off games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

What makes the officials look worse is that in previous games there have been many soft calls on QB hits when it was nothing like late.

Why the change last weekend? Smells fishy to me........

They obviously think fans are watching a different game or officials need to go to opticians to have their eyes checked.

Consistency is the key for officials and something smells when it isn't.

Stand up Mr Goodell and tell coaches what will happen in Super Bowl.....Eject.

Otherwise the game in front of so many viewers around the world will lose enormous credibility.

Cheap shots are never OK. Brett Favre won a lot of admiration from me for his courage in accepting that punishment. Saints lost any that I had for them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Is it a war or isn't it...oops...wrong thread. Is it football or isn't it? Give me a helmet and a few million dollars and I'll go out there and get brutalized ( and yes, I'm perfectly aware that we also have a human QB ).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I was against the calls when they were against Brady, and those Patriots haters or otherwise ignorant board members who say that Pats fans view roughing the passer unfairly should remember that the Patriots were one of the most penalized teams for roughing.  The Pats were called for roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness even when the ball was still in their hand (Trent Edwards and Joe Flacco were the QBs).

I do think the Saints went out of their way to beat up Favre, and I think the nature of the act was dirty.  You don't try to injure other players.  I think if they had called 15 yard personal fouls more consistently, that would be more than enough of a deterrent without having to increase the penalty to 30yds+ejection.  The refs, though, seemed intimidated by the home crowd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's enough already.

Just let the quarterbacks wear those red practice jerseys all the time and anyone who so much as breathes in their general direction shall be summarily executed.

In fact, why stop there? Wide receivers are often in defenseless positions when going for the ball, so you better make it illegal to hit them, too.

How about running backs? Making those cuts can be pretty dangerous. We wouldn't want anybody trying to tackle a guy when he was a little off balance.

Kickers go without saying.

An as an added bonus . . .  just think how much money teams would save, considereing that no defenders would ever tackle anybody, so how much could they really be worth?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"The Pats were called for roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness even when the ball was still in their hand (Trent Edwards and Joe Flacco were the QBs)."

Lately, my historical recollections have been suspect, but the call against Wilfork ( I think ) for roughing Edwards was baloney.

Sections
Shortcuts