QBs and 4th quarter comebacks....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

QBs and 4th quarter comebacks....

It made headlines this past weekend when Peyton Manning passed Dan Marino as the leading QB to have led his team to a 4th quarter comeback for a win.  49 times to date versus Brady's 37.  The last couple years a lot has been written about his brothers success in this area too.  So, this news made me wonder..  how many opportunities has Peyton had to lead his team from behind to win a game versus Brady?  These two are compared so often, does this mean he is better at it or his team is behind more often in the 4th than the Pats are when Brady is at the helm?  In my memory, the Pats aren't behind in the 4th quarter too often and as a result Brady may not have had anywhere near the need to "bring the team from behind" to win.  Did Manning succeed 48 times out of 100 games and is batting .480?  I couldn't find that stat, but, on Pro Football Reference.com, I found this:

Since 2001, when Brady started, the Pats were behind 26 times in which Brady led a total of 37 game winning drives.  Manning has been in this position 29 times with 38 game winning drives.  What is not given is how many games their respective teams were behind and game winning drives were unsuccessful.  We all know of one BIG game in which this happened, SB42 for the Pats.  I am certain somewhere in stats land is such information.   

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: QBs and 4th quarter comebacks....

In response to JintsFan's comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:

It made headlines this past weekend when Peyton Manning passed Dan Marino as the leading QB to have led his team to a 4th quarter comeback for a win.  49 times to date versus Brady's 37.  The last couple years a lot has been written about his brothers success in this area too.  So, this news made me wonder..  how many opportunities has Peyton had to lead his team from behind to win a game versus Brady?  These two are compared so often, does this mean he is better at it or his team is behind more often in the 4th than the Pats are when Brady is at the helm?  In my memory, the Pats aren't behind in the 4th quarter too often and as a result Brady may not have had anywhere near the need to "bring the team from behind" to win.  Did Manning succeed 48 times out of 100 games and is batting .480?  I couldn't find that stat, but, on Pro Football Reference.com, I found this:

Since 2001, when Brady started, the Pats were behind 26 times in which Brady led a total of 37 game winning drives.  Manning has been in this position 29 times with 38 game winning drives.  What is not given is how many games their respective teams were behind and game winning drives were unsuccessful.  We all know of one BIG game in which this happened, SB42 for the Pats.  I am certain somewhere in stats land is such information.   

numbers and stats can always ber manipulated, taken out-of-context, etc...for whatever purpose someone has and even then you have the "human element" ie: what was happening at that time and place in that particular game

the bottom line is all the guys mentioned: brady, both mannings, marino...and u can add favre and the great montana, stabler, staubach, etc...all worked their magic and had their big moments in clutch spots, along with their failures as they are all human and their teammates have something to say about this too (great catch vs drop etc)...thats why all those names have rings and/or are in the HOF

Good point, if they're special they will be put into that position enough times to build a legacy in both a positive light and negative one. The ones that weren't good enough...there's little in the way of either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

That stat is nice to ponder but is quite conditional. How many times did the QB's D set him up with a pick for instance?

But if you're high on the list, you're probably one of the greats.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

It's hard to lead a comeback when you're up by multiple scores 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

More important, what were the folloing factors that undoubtedly played a HUGE part in these "comebacks":

Indoor or outdoor? Rain/poor weather or sunshine? Warm weather or cold waether sites? Start time? Were the games played before or after the time changing? Who were the respective WR's on each team? Were there real dogs in the Dog Pound? What was the averae alcoholic beverage consumption of section 105 at ALL stadiumd/venues games were played at? National V or regional coverage? Breakdown of TV commercials (tires vs beer vs credit card  vs male performance enhancement vs high price luxury cars)? Who were the game officials?

In other words.... YAWN......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

That stat is nice to ponder but is quite conditional. How many times did the QB's D set him up with a pick for instance?

I would imagine your question speaks to Brady about as much as anyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

No matter.

According to you, this would be a "team" achievement anyway, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

No matter.

According to you, this would be a "team" achievement anyway, right?

It certainly is.  A nice note for the achievement, but reliance on others is necessary, and when I look at Brady's history it is evident how well his D set him up during those successful superbowl years.  Nice also that Viniateri never missed when it was put on him to win the game.

Sections
Shortcuts