Qualities of an elite RB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

Qualities of an elite RB

What does it take to be considered elite?  I was wondering this relative to the Law firm?

Bennie:

almost never has negative plays...which I consider huge;
    almost never (or maybe never) puts the ball on ground;
    can move a pile for a first down or TD.

Does one need to carry 20 - 25 times and be a featured back to be elite?  As a coach, I take the above over a runner who has highlight runs twice a game, but a bunch of o yard runs as well.  Clearly the path BB took when he discarded Maroney.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Qualities of an elite RB

You get consistency with BJGE. He hits the designated hole and moves north-and-south, and he doesn't put the ball on the ground. Those may seem like fairly obvious attributes to look for in a running back, but watching Maroney stopping dead in the backfield -- not being stopped dead, mind you . . .  just dancing up to the line of scrimmage and stopping -- on almost every play for three years probably taints our opinion of what a running back should be.

Maroney could give you more on those rare occasions when he got into the secondary -- Law Firm is never going to run away from anybody -- and I think if you're going to be considered "elite," you've got to have that breakaway ability. But in the context of what the Pats want to do, it looks to me like Green-Ellis has developed well within his role.

Don't think of Law Firm as an elite back . . .   think of him as an important cog in an elite offense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Qualities of an elite RB:
    [QUOTE]Don't think of Law Firm as an elite back . . .   think of him as an important cog in an elite offense.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Nice way of putting it.  

P-mike is right--BJGE doesn't have the speed to be an elite back--he doesn't run outside all that well and doesn't seem to have breakaway speed in the open field--but he runs well up the middle and protects the ball, which is mostly what you need in a RB in this offense.  I think Taylor is still on the squad because (when he's healthy) he gives us a little more of that breakaway speed and outside running ability and that may be useful in the playoffs.  But BJGE has been a very good back in this offense--someone teams need to respect--and therefore a guy who forces defenses to at least think about the run.  That keeps the LBs more conservative and sets up the play action passes, so BJGE has played a big role in making our passing game more successful just by being a reasonable up-the-middle threat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Athletically:
    - /> Breakaway speed
    - /> Big legs and broad shoulders to make him tough to take down
    - /> Fleixbile hips for agility
    - /> Good shuttle run and cone drill times (agility in a phone booth)
    - /> Durability / Toughness
    - /> Big hands (better grip on the ball)
    - /> Smart (or at least not borderline Neanderthal like some elite athletes)

Football skills:
    - /> Vision
    - /> Ball security
    - /> Blitz pickup (even against bigger linebackers)
    - /> Route-running (can split him wide and can shake even nickel corners)
    - /> Hands
    - /> Ability to make people miss
    - /> Ability to break weak tackles
    - /> Leadership & accountability
    - /> Desire to study film

And this is why there are only three truly elite RB's in the league:
    (1) Chris Johnson
    (2) Adrian Peterson (although he's still a stiff in the passing game)
    (3) Maurice Jones-Drew

As for Law Firm, he has great work ethic, but he lacks the pass-catching versatility, the elite speed, the agility, and the vision to be ELITE.  I've seen him stick his head down and run into the back of his own linemen when the hole is open two feet to their left or right.  He's good enough to benefit from a balanced offense with a good offensive line, which is enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

I hearby, from here on forward, for the rest of his, hopefully continuing successful Patriot career, officially refer to Law Firm, as BenJ---- and respectfully ask all loyal Patriot fans, to do so as well---- BenJ, BenJ---- 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In Response to Re: Qualities of an elite RB:
    [QUOTE]You get consistency with BJGE. He hits the designated hole and moves north-and-south, and he doesn't put the ball on the ground. Those may seem like fairly obvious attributes to look for in a running back, but watching Maroney stopping dead in the backfield -- not being stopped dead, mind you . . .  just dancing up to the line of scrimmage and stopping -- on almost every play for three years probably taints our opinion of what a running back should be. Maroney could give you more on those rare occasions when he got into the secondary -- Law Firm is never going to run away from anybody -- and I think if you're going to be considered "elite," you've got to have that breakaway ability. But in the context of what the Pats want to do, it looks to me like Green-Ellis has developed well within his role. Don't think of Law Firm as an elite back . . .   think of him as an important cog in an elite offense.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Well said P-mike. He is exactly what we need for this offense!!!!