Quality of information content in BB's press conferences

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Quality of information content in BB's press conferences

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Not sure what you mean Wozzy. I find most political reporters ask much harder questions than what BB gets. I mean, how close was Gronk to playing is about the same as asking how close do you think a resolution on a bill will be solved. It's not like BB gets ask extremely specific questions, for the most part it's the same general non specific questions asked to every coach around the league: ie How did you think of player x's performance, how is players x's injury coming along, do you have a time table for player x's return, how will you handle team y's offense, how do you account for player x whent hey are on the field. The questions are so generic I think politicians would love to get those types of questions because they could have their speech writers draw up answers weeks ahead of time.

Seriously?  We're talking about football here, not the state of the world, how my tax dollars are stolen... er I mean spent, and who to drop bombs on?  If we're comparing sports journalism to the same standards we hold the "free press" to then we're already in deep doo doo.

But if you want me to make it easier to understand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Gannon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean Wozzy. I find most political reporters ask much harder questions than what BB gets. I mean, how close was Gronk to playing is about the same as asking how close do you think a resolution on a bill will be solved. It's not like BB gets ask extremely specific questions, for the most part it's the same general non specific questions asked to every coach around the league: ie How did you think of player x's performance, how is players x's injury coming along, do you have a time table for player x's return, how will you handle team y's offense, how do you account for player x whent hey are on the field. The questions are so generic I think politicians would love to get those types of questions because they could have their speech writers draw up answers weeks ahead of time.

Seriously?  We're talking about football here, not the state of the world, how my tax dollars are stolen... er I mean spent, and who to drop bombs on?  If we're comparing sports journalism to the same standards we hold the "free press" to then we're already in deep doo doo.

But if you want me to make it easier to understand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Gannon

[/QUOTE]

Ahh you were the one who made the comparison I was commenting off it. So yes the free press asks harder and more exacting questions to politicians then what BB gets asked on a weekly basis

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[/QUOTE]

How about the fans? Wouldn't the fans like to know what's going on with the team? Sometimes it feels like BB feels the only time the fans should care about the team is when they play on sunday for the 3hrs they are on the field.

Honestly, tell me how the opposition benefits from it at all. The other teams have far more info on players around the league than the fans do. Most fans around here estimateed that Gronk would be back somtime after week 2 but before week 5. We are now heading into week 4, so if the fans knew this was about the time table other teams would also know. Also, 1st game back he's not going to come out of the gate as the Gronk of oldd. There will be rust and he won't be playing nearly the same amount of snaps as he usually does when healthy so it's not like they even have to game plan a ton around Gronk right now. The team in the following week might need to game plan more but they have the benefit of knowing Gronk is playing so really you are being like this to what extent? Atl knows there is a chance Gronk will be back but also know he won't be getting 80%+ of the snaps and won't be lighting the world on fire out of the gate. They know he's been practicing and reports are that he might be close. Is Atl in a blackhole where they get zero media reports of inside info? I'll guarantee they know more than even the reporters are giving.

Really, all this does is give the fans a quick laugh at how silly it is and then leaves us wanting more info and speculating in the end. These pressers give away nothing that other teams don't already know they are honestly for the fans.

BTW BB isn't a medical doctor but I'm guessing he has some on staff and they do tell him infomation I hope. Not to mention he has been around the game enough that in practice he can tell when a player is close to being ready. They aren't asking exactly what % he is. They aren't looking for he's 76.459355012% they simply asked was he almost ready to go this week. Since it's after the game it's zero benefit to the team they just played and since he's had 2 full weeks of practice (standard coming back from injury) the next team most likely figures he could play in the RZ and has practiced for it. So what state secret is given away by saying

"He's been practing and looking good but we don't want to rush him back until he's 100%. We'll have another look at him this week and make a decision then but he should be back within the next couple of weeks". That statement says nothing that everyone didn't already know but gives info to the fans to let them know yes he is indeed close to returning. We all know it's fits the time line otherwise they would have just PuPed him so what could Atl possibly gain from that statement?

[/QUOTE]

There are some fair points in what you say. I think BB is is a follower of the Holy Silentium Order when it comes to information that he is not required to give out. I don't know the reasons why. Maybe he thinks his opponents have to game plan for more possibilities if they can't discount the possibility of a player being in an upcoming game. Or maybe he is just an ornery cuss. I discount the latter probability only because he is willing to share MORE than the average coach when it comes to a football question.

With respect to fans, the only thing we are entitled to for our money is an owner that builds a  team that has a chance to win each year, and a coach that prepares the team to win each week. Beyond that, it's a treat for a fan to be let inside the mind of a successful coach. That's the reason for this thread. He does let you understand his thought process when it comes to football strategy. I don't think most coaches do that to the extent that BB does it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to neinmd's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The question about Gronk wasn't asking him to predict anything.

Here is the exact transcript of the relevant Q & A:

Q: How close was Rob Gronkowski to playing yesterday?

BB: I don’t know. He was inactive.

Q: Did he have a shot to play?

BB: He was inactive.

Q: Going into the day, was there a chance he’d play?

BB: He was inactive for the game.   Bill asks back at one point whether the questioner is looking for a percentage number. This is the kind of qualitative emotive questioning that deserves no answer. These questions are looking for a qualitative estimate or a probability prediction. The only possible beneficiary from any judgmental answer would be the opposition, and Belichick's opinion would, in any event, be a medical judgment for which he is unqualified. His answer was a factual answer to a hypothetical question.

[/QUOTE]

You claimed they asked for a prediction. No such request was made.

This is REAL f'n simple. Instead of being the typical d*ckhead that he is, it could have gone down this easily.

Simple really? 

Q - How close was Gronk to playing yesterday?

BB - Not close at all. He clearly isn't ready yet to play NFL football.

Follow ups. Then what % percent would you say he is at right now? Are you saying he is still weeks away? Since he is not close at all do you still think it was a wise move to not PUP him? Etc, etc. Everytime you answer one of those with "YOUR" F'n simple responses the list will grow.

or

BB - It was a close call but we felt it was in Rob's and the teams best interests to hold him back until we are 100% sure.

Follow ups. When do you think you will be 100% sure? (Still think you will escape being asked a prediction of the future?) How close is close? So you expect Gronk to be ready for next weeks game vs the Falcons? What is the defining factor since he is close that will make it 100% sure as you put it? Etc, etc.

Way to open up the can of worms Babe, bravo. Wink

Simple. Makes everybody happy. No top secret info is revealed. But we can't have that, because BB has to be an anal ornery d*ickhead or he isn't happy.

Make all the excuses you like, but only a hopeless homer is going to claim it's cool to be like that for no good reason.

I must be a hopeless homer since I love how he treats the media.

I really don't care if BB wants to be a d*ckhead to the press. But I'm going to call it what it is, and there is no way that behavior sells the brand beyond the homeland.

By the way how often have you had to speak to the press? Even the local newspapers on a regular basis? 

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

There are some fair points in what you say. I think BB is is a follower of the Holy Silentium Order when it comes to information that he is not required to give out. I don't know the reasons why. Maybe he thinks his opponents have to game plan for more possibilities if they can't discount the possibility of a player being in an upcoming game. Or maybe he is just an ornery cuss. I discount the latter probability only because he is willing to share MORE than the average coach when it comes to a football question.

With respect to fans, the only thing we are entitled to for our money is an owner that builds a  team that has a chance to win each year, and a coach that prepares the team to win each week. Beyond that, it's a treat for a fan to be let inside the mind of a successful coach. That's the reason for this thread. He does let you understand his thought process when it comes to football strategy. I don't think most coaches do that to the extent that BB does it.

Yeah I don't see that at all. It's a treat really? You make it sound like he's doing us a favor by gracing us with speech. Fans are the life blood of the sport. A sport that is a treat to BB and the players by getting paid so much for. If it was really just about the game then there is no need for this forum, sports radio, sports mechandise that we put on everything. To fans it's a all consuming entertainment and we develop means to keep the entertainment going between the games. I don't know about you but when the game is over I don't put all my pats gear in the closet until next week. The NFL is obviously catering to that inbetween entertainment as they made pressers mandatory and have expanded who has to have pressers to keep fans entertained through the week. Look at media week at the SB. You can't tell me that's for the benefit of the teams and not for the fans. But, if BB wants to impress with his football knowledge he can run a class in the offseason. He can have a weekly segment on football weekly dicussing football in general. He's more than welcome to become an anylsis when he retires. He is the coach of a team with an extremely loyal and sport craving fan base who craves even the slightest piece of information. Why else are you on this board?

btw, you can tell he enjoys and gets pleasure from being called a football genius. That's why he answers those questions not to treat us with his mind. He has a massive ego (as the best coaches do) and he hates being questioned but loves to show off his smarts. Football knowledge and history questions shows off his smarts, answering questions about his team leads to questions it's that simple. He enjoys one and not the other and refuses to do it.

Also we are entitiled to what the league deteremines what we are entitled to because the league is a function of the fanbase. The league mandates pressers and teams have to make players and not just HC's but also OC's and DC's available now because the fan base craves more and more info. Now they can't force BB to give a certain presser (that's actually against US law) but they are trying to open more information up to the public, most of which is general knowledge from all teams around the league that we tend to think is super secret. It's the whole reason why there is a NFL network and why they pay former players/coaches to break down the walls between what's known behind the scenes and what we actually see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't see that at all. It's a treat really? You make it sound like he's doing us a favor by gracing us with speech. Fans are the life blood of the sport. A sport that is a treat to BB and the players by getting paid so much for. If it was really just about the game then there is no need for this forum, sports radio, sports mechandise that we put on everything. To fans it's a all consuming entertainment and we develop means to keep the entertainment going between the games. I don't know about you but when the game is over I don't put all my pats gear in the closet until next week. The NFL is obviously catering to that inbetween entertainment as they made pressers mandatory and have expanded who has to have pressers to keep fans entertained through the week. Look at media week at the SB. You can't tell me that's for the benefit of the teams and not for the fans. But, if BB wants to impress with his football knowledge he can run a class in the offseason. He can have a weekly segment on football weekly dicussing football in general. He's more than welcome to become an anylsis when he retires. He is the coach of a team with an extremely loyal and sport craving fan base who craves even the slightest piece of information. Why else are you on this board?

btw, you can tell he enjoys and gets pleasure from being called a football genius. That's why he answers those questions not to treat us with his mind. He has a massive ego (as the best coaches do) and he hates being questioned but loves to show off his smarts. Football knowledge and history questions shows off his smarts, answering questions about his team leads to questions it's that simple. He enjoys one and not the other and refuses to do it.

Also we are entitiled to what the league deteremines what we are entitled to because the league is a function of the fanbase. The league mandates pressers and teams have to make players and not just HC's but also OC's and DC's available now because the fan base craves more and more info. Now they can't force BB to give a certain presser (that's actually against US law) but they are trying to open more information up to the public, most of which is general knowledge from all teams around the league that we tend to think is super secret. It's the whole reason why there is a NFL network and why they pay former players/coaches to break down the walls between what's known behind the scenes and what we actually see.

[/QUOTE]

I don't argue that fans like us (messageboarders, for example) crave for a constant flow of information about the team they follow. That passion, however, is stoked by a winning team. Winning trump all other issues! And the Patriots have been a winning organization for 12 or so years at this point.

In addition to giving us a winning team, BB also gives us insights into his football strategy. Whether BB does it out of a self-serving need to cater to his ego, or simply because he loves the game of football, I don't know or care. I find his insights intelligent, crystal-clear and in-depth.

The point is that he communicates a great deal more than people give him credit for. That's all. Stylistically, maybe he could use a semester or two at Charm School but I like him the way he is. He never denigrates his players in public. He won't say anything controversial to get more ink. He is quite detailed and respectful of any football questions. He is well-liked in the coaching community and has never thrown anyone else under the bus. I will take that and live with his stylistic issues.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ahh you were the one who made the comparison I was commenting off it. So yes the free press asks harder and more exacting questions to politicians then what BB gets asked on a weekly basis

I won't get into a long winded political rant on a football forum but our corporate sponsored press corps are a joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

or

BB - It was a close call but we felt it was in Rob's and the teams best interests to hold him back until we are 100% sure.

Simple. Makes everybody happy. No top secret info is revealed. 

Untrue. - By BB saying nothing, and given the paranoid world of NFL coaching, the opposing coach needs to spend some time gameplaning in case he does play. By extension the team needs to spend some time practicing in the event that he can play. If Gronk then doesn't play, that becomes time wasted, meaning that the opposing team is a little less prepared to play the Pats without Gronk.

BB is all about giving zero information out that could in any way disadvantage his team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

There are times when I think BB  could be more gracious, but maybe he finds it easier to aviod grey areas and just follow a black and white rule about never saying anything about injuries or player performance.  That sets a clear standard for everyone else on the team too, which helps ensure players or other coaches don't say things they shouldn't say.  

Great point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

make no mistake, BB does play favorites with the press, and does not treat everyone in the press the same. he also cuts ex players more slack, which I do not find surprising. I have seen BB embarass the media, for no apparent reason (but I would have no knowledge of something that may have been upsetting to BB from said person), and cruelty really has no place at his pressers. Everyone has a job to do, and 98% of those in attendance, are true professionals. a simple "no comment", or "I prefer to not answer that line of question" would suffice. There is no reason to be offensive, unless it is to deflect any media offensive question...anyone who has attended these joke pressers, will attest, 98% in attendance are very respectful and even polite to BB...I understand there are that 2% in attendance, but BB should do a better job here...

I also agree with the comments that there is some info that does not have to be so secretive, and a rabid fan base that fills the stadium week in and week out deserves better

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

BB also said recently that halftime adjustments are overrated which I thought was interesting.

BILL BELICHICK

ON HALTIME ADJUSTMENTS: “I think that there’s a lot that happens before halftime. As I said, I think the fourth quarter, a lot of that is situational depending on whether you’re ahead or behind. The game at that point can be dictated by just the situation that you’re in, therefore you have the first three quarters. If you wait to halftime, a lot of football has gone by the boards before you make any adjustments, but I think in the NFL you see teams making adjustments after each series. …One team does something, the other team adjusts to it.  That teams counters their adjustment and it goes back and forth. It goes on all game. I don’t think the halftime adjustment thing is that big of a deal because it goes on continuously from the first series of the game until really the game becomes a situational game based on a score and the time remaining.”

sorry if I laugh at this. Is that because for a while we were complaining of NO halftime adustments being made? I like BB, but Im sorry this seems confusing. He used to think very highly of making half time adjustments and it was a staple of our team. Now its overated??  Strange indeed.

Maybe YOU are saying its overated and he just sais that they are being made all the time but we all remember when nothing changed the whole game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

make no mistake, BB does play favorites with the press, and does not treat everyone in the press the same. he also cuts ex players more slack, which I do not find surprising. I have seen BB embarass the media, for no apparent reason (but I would have no knowledge of something that may have been upsetting to BB from said person), and cruelty really has no place at his pressers. Everyone has a job to do, and 98% of those in attendance, are true professionals. a simple "no comment", or "I prefer to not answer that line of question" would suffice. There is no reason to be offensive, unless it is to deflect any media offensive question...anyone who has attended these joke pressers, will attest, 98% in attendance are very respectful and even polite to BB...I understand there are that 2% in attendance, but BB should do a better job here...

I also agree with the comments that there is some info that does not have to be so secretive, and a rabid fan base that fills the stadium week in and week out deserves better

Who do you think you are?  BB does not trust sneaks.  CHB, Borges, Gasper, Shaughnessy, Breer, etc, etc, etc.

Who do you think you are acting as if the sneaks and the gutless weasels behind the keyboard are the victims in this case? 

The media needs to do a better job respecting the coach instead of trying to set him up. Do you realize that worm Breer asked Gronk how close he was last week, because BB wouldn't answer Breer on 3 separate occasions?  You don't think THAT right there is WHY BB has no respect for an entitled worm like Albie Breer?

You don't think BB took note of that?  Gronk hilariously copied BB and the rest of the media group erupted in laughter right in front of wittle Albie.

Who does Breer think he is harrassing a coach, demanding to get injury or rehab details like that?  

[/QUOTE]

I was very clear, there is a 2% out there...you can put whomever you like in that group. the other 98% is 100% opposite of what you feel the media is. they have a job to do, just like BB has a job to do. I have seen him dress down too many guys in public for no reason...there is no place for that IMO. Reiss is a perfect example. I dont think ther has been a person more fair to the Pats in the past 10 years. now, to my knowledge and in my presence, BB has never gone after Reiss...but BB needs to also understand that Reiss has a job to do, and certain questions need to be asked, even though Reiss, BB and everyone in the room knows the questions will not be answered...sitting thru one of BB's pressers, one asks the question, why even bother? why waste his time, but also why waste 75-100 poeples time that are trying to do their job?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[/QUOTE]

I was very clear, there is a 2% out there...you can put whomever you like in that group. the other 98% is 100% opposite of what you feel the media is. they have a job to do, just like BB has a job to do. I have seen him dress down too many guys in public for no reason...there is no place for that IMO. Reiss is a perfect example. I dont think ther has been a person more fair to the Pats in the past 10 years. now, to my knowledge and in my presence, BB has never gone after Reiss...but BB needs to also understand that Reiss has a job to do, and certain questions need to be asked, even though Reiss, BB and everyone in the room knows the questions will not be answered...sitting thru one of BB's pressers, one asks the question, why even bother? why waste his time, but also why waste 75-100 poeples time that are trying to do their job?  

[/QUOTE]

All things being equal, I would like a coach who wins AND is well-liked by the press. But I would happily settle for one who simply wins.

Having said that, would you agree that Bill Belichick has more than average influence over the league? He could walk away from the Patriots and 31 teams would ditch their current coaching staff to bring him on board.

If he is so universally disliked, how does that happen? It's because he wins. Winning trumps all else. In his case, however, he is also very knowledgable about the game of football, and is capable of articulating his football beliefs and strategy is a very simple but comprehensive way. When a journalist engages him in a football conversation, he gets a lot of value from the conversation. The guy's been coaching for over 30 years in the NFL. His dad was a coach. He has football in his blood. He is also very intelligent. You set your ego aside and listen to guys like that when they talk.

Look, this thread started from one simple Q&A in one of his press conferences. It showed a very articulate, detailed answer to a football question. It was juxtaposed against the "he is inactive" sound bite that everyone ran with.

By the way, Breer reported today that he believed Gronk and Amendola have a good chance of returning in the Atlanta game. He based that on his locker room conversation with Gronk, and on what he saw of Amendola in practice. Whether they play Sunday or not, Atlanta will have to game plan for them. I have no idea whether this will actually happen or not. I personally would be happier if they kept these two guys out until the middle or end of October. The season starts in earnest on November 24th for this team in a home game against the Broncos. They need to be a big part of that game because it's likely to be a shoot-out.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

[QUOTE]

My handle says it all.

Your jealoust says it all, too, Jets tool.

[/QUOTE]

Jealoust queenie? You must be drunk again.

This is something that a troll does. Shocking that the Brady basher has done it time and time again after he's been bludgeoned on here.  Bwahaha what a loser.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And, frankly, Babe, you could take your own advice. Perhaps you too would be as happy as your friend.

I figured one of the homers would suggest this. Frankly, I'm a happy guy. Life has been a cake walk for me.

But my advice for BB doesn't apply to myself. He despises the media for simply trying to do their job and treats them in that manner. I simply smackdown people when they are being anal and dishonest. The genuine people here, those that are objective, I never have any issues with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

And, frankly, Babe, you could take your own advice. Perhaps you too would be as happy as your friend.

[/QUOTE]

I figured one of the homers would suggest this. Frankly, I'm a happy guy. Life has been a cake walk for me.

But my advice for BB doesn't apply to myself. He despises the media for simply trying to do their job and treats them in that manner. I simply smackdown people when they are being anal and dishonest. The genuine people here, those that are objective, I never have any issues with.

[/QUOTE]

You are an interesting character, Babe. Look, if you are happy, that's the most important thing. I will get off that particular topic and not trade insults with you.

I will say, though, that using words like anal, dishonest, or not genuine is a little over the top. It's not a particularly helpful way to engage in an anonymous dialog with other posters who are here only because they (mostly) share the same passion for this team. It's OK to disagree with each other but let's stay within the bounds of civil discourse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Q - How close was Gronk to playing yesterday?

Follow ups. Then what % percent would you say he is at right now? Are you saying he is still weeks away? Since he is not close at all do you still think it was a wise move to not PUP him? Etc, etc. Everytime you answer one of those with "YOUR" F'n simple responses the list will grow.

or

Follow ups. When do you think you will be 100% sure? (Still think you will escape being asked a prediction of the future?) How close is close? So you expect Gronk to be ready for next weeks game vs the Falcons? What is the defining factor since he is close that will make it 100% sure as you put it? Etc, etc.

Way to open up the can of worms Babe, bravo. Wink

You're missing the point. With those replies BB would have thrown them the cookie they need to do their job. He didn't treat them with scorn. When they then ask for the whole box, he can dismiss them from the high ground, not the sulking twit ground he usually occupies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Simple. Makes everybody happy. No top secret info is revealed. But we can't have that, because BB has to be an anal ornery d*ickhead or he isn't happy.

Make all the excuses you like, but only a hopeless homer is going to claim it's cool to be like that for no good reason.

I must be a hopeless homer since I love how he treats the media.

Yup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I really don't care if BB wants to be a d*ckhead to the press. But I'm going to call it what it is, and there is no way that behavior sells the brand beyond the homeland.

By the way how often have you had to speak to the press? Even the local newspapers on a regular basis? 

I have not had to speak to the press. I have done public speaking though. It's not that big a deal. You talk and act reasonable. Simple.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You are an interesting character, Babe. Look, if you are happy, that's the most important thing. I will get off that particular topic and not trade insults with you.

I will say, though, that using words like anal, dishonest, or not genuine is a little over the top. It's not a particularly helpful way to engage in an anonymous dialog with other posters who are here only because they (mostly) share the same passion for this team. It's OK to disagree with each other but let's stay within the bounds of civil discourse.

Anal, dishonest and not genuine are the trademarks of a homer, for any team, not just Pats fans. It's about sports for pete's sake. It's about rooting for a team. Being a homer doesn't make somebody a bad person. LOL It just makes their analysis not worth all that much when you are trying to determine what is the real deal. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who do you think you are?  BB does not trust sneaks.  CHB, Borges, Gasper, Shaughnessy, Breer, etc, etc, etc.

Who do you think you are acting as if the sneaks and the gutless weasels behind the keyboard are the victims in this case? 

The media needs to do a better job respecting the coach instead of trying to set him up. Do you realize that worm Breer asked Gronk how close he was last week, because BB wouldn't answer Breer on 3 separate occasions?  You don't think THAT right there is WHY BB has no respect for an entitled worm like Albie Breer?

You don't think BB took note of that?  Gronk hilariously copied BB and the rest of the media group erupted in laughter right in front of wittle Albie.

Who does Breer think he is harrassing a coach, demanding to get injury or rehab details like that?  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How did BB "go after" Reiss?

[/QUOTE]

How does someone with your IQ have such poor reading comprehension? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[/QUOTE]

All things being equal, I would like a coach who wins AND is well-liked by the press. But I would happily settle for one who simply wins.

Having said that, would you agree that Bill Belichick has more than average influence over the league? He could walk away from the Patriots and 31 teams would ditch their current coaching staff to bring him on board.

If he is so universally disliked, how does that happen? It's because he wins. Winning trumps all else. In his case, however, he is also very knowledgable about the game of football, and is capable of articulating his football beliefs and strategy is a very simple but comprehensive way. When a journalist engages him in a football conversation, he gets a lot of value from the conversation. The guy's been coaching for over 30 years in the NFL. His dad was a coach. He has football in his blood. He is also very intelligent. You set your ego aside and listen to guys like that when they talk.

Look, this thread started from one simple Q&A in one of his press conferences. It showed a very articulate, detailed answer to a football question. It was juxtaposed against the "he is inactive" sound bite that everyone ran with.

By the way, Breer reported today that he believed Gronk and Amendola have a good chance of returning in the Atlanta game. He based that on his locker room conversation with Gronk, and on what he saw of Amendola in practice. Whether they play Sunday or not, Atlanta will have to game plan for them. I have no idea whether this will actually happen or not. I personally would be happier if they kept these two guys out until the middle or end of October. The season starts in earnest on November 24th for this team in a home game against the Broncos. They need to be a big part of that game because it's likely to be a shoot-out.

[/QUOTE]

That is fair and I agree with you. Winning is paramount. I can even accept the excuse that after a game, a coach, any coach, can have a short fuse, especially after a loss. But the mid week presser has no reason for the tenuous tone with the media. 

Use your Breer comment. He spoke with Gronk. He watched Amendola. His opinion based on what he saw for himself was they could play. His job is to follow up on his opinion and ask the coach if they will. Isn't that the biggest story of this weeks game? Will Gronk and DA play? What journalist does not ask that question? Now, BB doesn't have to answer. It is to his advantage to not answer. It is his job to not answer. But isn't there a way to answer, with the understanding the question needs to be asked?

I have probably over the decade attended 30-40 BB pressers. I have probably attended 2 Tony Dungy press conferences. I have seen a few others on TV. I have never seen or heard of Dungy dress down a journalists trying to do his job. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Anal, dishonest and not genuine are the trademarks of a homer, for any team, not just Pats fans. It's about sports for pete's sake. It's about rooting for a team. Being a homer doesn't make somebody a bad person. LOL It just makes their analysis not worth all that much when you are trying to determine what is the real deal. 

These are strong words and should not be used casually. If you called me dishonest in person, you would probably get punched in the nose. I am OK with someone not agreeing with me because he or she thinks my comments are those of a biased fan, which they almost certainly are. But it does not give that person the right to assume an intent to deceive.

I try to frame my opinions with evidence, and with rational argument. I am human and can make errors in my assumptions or my logic. I like to think that I would be a good enough person that if someone pointed out such errors, I would acknowledge them.

Just stay civil, for God's sake. This is an anonymous forum and it's easy to escalate a war of words.

Sections
Shortcuts