In response to rkarp's comment:
In response to neinmd's comment:
I was very clear, there is a 2% out there...you can put whomever you like in that group. the other 98% is 100% opposite of what you feel the media is. they have a job to do, just like BB has a job to do. I have seen him dress down too many guys in public for no reason...there is no place for that IMO. Reiss is a perfect example. I dont think ther has been a person more fair to the Pats in the past 10 years. now, to my knowledge and in my presence, BB has never gone after Reiss...but BB needs to also understand that Reiss has a job to do, and certain questions need to be asked, even though Reiss, BB and everyone in the room knows the questions will not be answered...sitting thru one of BB's pressers, one asks the question, why even bother? why waste his time, but also why waste 75-100 poeples time that are trying to do their job?
All things being equal, I would like a coach who wins AND is well-liked by the press. But I would happily settle for one who simply wins.
Having said that, would you agree that Bill Belichick has more than average influence over the league? He could walk away from the Patriots and 31 teams would ditch their current coaching staff to bring him on board.
If he is so universally disliked, how does that happen? It's because he wins. Winning trumps all else. In his case, however, he is also very knowledgable about the game of football, and is capable of articulating his football beliefs and strategy is a very simple but comprehensive way. When a journalist engages him in a football conversation, he gets a lot of value from the conversation. The guy's been coaching for over 30 years in the NFL. His dad was a coach. He has football in his blood. He is also very intelligent. You set your ego aside and listen to guys like that when they talk.
Look, this thread started from one simple Q&A in one of his press conferences. It showed a very articulate, detailed answer to a football question. It was juxtaposed against the "he is inactive" sound bite that everyone ran with.
By the way, Breer reported today that he believed Gronk and Amendola have a good chance of returning in the Atlanta game. He based that on his locker room conversation with Gronk, and on what he saw of Amendola in practice. Whether they play Sunday or not, Atlanta will have to game plan for them. I have no idea whether this will actually happen or not. I personally would be happier if they kept these two guys out until the middle or end of October. The season starts in earnest on November 24th for this team in a home game against the Broncos. They need to be a big part of that game because it's likely to be a shoot-out.