Quarterback Productivity and Father Time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Quarterback Productivity and Father Time

The great ones- Marino, Elway, Montana all retired at age 38.  It had less to do with their arms and ability to execute, but rather their susceptibility to injury and lack of movement (legs don't fail me now).  Although their was noticeable decline and missed opportunities because of their lack of mobility (Brady and the Ravens...), they could still get it done better than most.

Brady (aug 77) is 17 months younger than Manning (Mar 76) and Manny will be 38 next year comming off a serious injury.  IMO this is his last season as a SB quality QB and his age will be a limiting factor this year.  If 38 is the magic number and history can be an indicators, Brady had 2 more SB quality years left and maybe a third not so productive final season.  

The wild card is the quality of support, especially the O-line, WR and RBs.  Both Denver and N.E. have passing grades in spades, assuming a healthy Gronk and Danny, and Dobson or someone steps up for the long ball threat for the Pats .   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Quarterback Productivity and Father Time

Brady will play 5 more seasons at a high level, then retire. BB will retire as HC at that time, and Kraft will name Brady HC with BB hanging on as a front office potentate.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Brady will play 5 more seasons at a high level, then retire. BB will retire as HC at that time, and Kraft will name Brady HC with BB hanging on as a front office potentate.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

Isn't Brady slated to become a U.S. senator?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Well, Brady and the offense have changed since 2000. They're scoring more points, throwing for more yards. They've gone from a lead back to RBBC (and seem to be gaining more yards as a seasonal average with RBBC).

So, what's not to like offensively (apart from all the inexperienced receivers this year)?

Kryptonite. There are a few teams that simply match up well with the Patriots. They're gonna win their share of games. The question is - have the Patriots made enough changes in offensive and defensive personnel changes to beat those teams that match up well to us or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Brett Favre played what might have been the best season of his career at the age of 40. 

The good news for Brady is....he is used to not being mobile. Guys like Montana and Young spent a lot of their careers making plays with their feet, that has never been Brady's game, so he won't have to adapt like them. I can see him playing another five years if he continues to avoid another serious injury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good thread and I kind of agree that 38 does seem to be a magic number with these elite quarterbacks, there have been exceptions, but not many. I think Brady keeps himself in outstanding shape, but sometimes that doesn't matter when talking about age and playing at a high level. We are not talking about lowering ones cholesterol here...this is a different ball game than people trying to beat father time a little bit...this is professional football and it's not kind when you lose a split second off your quickness or a fraction of strength off your deep out pass....that usually spells the end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where would he be a senator? From every hint I've ever seen he is said to be a Republican. It's quite a stretch to think one of those will ever get elected in either of the anal states Brady is most likely to run in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

He has got to scale back this shotgun stuff

The shotgun is a safer formation for a QB. He should run more of that if he wants to last longer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to teegee's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where would he be a senator? From every hint I've ever seen he is said to be a Republican. It's quite a stretch to think one of those will ever get elected in either of the anal states Brady is most likely to run in.

[/QUOTE]

He probably gets his start with a cushy appointment like Ambassador to France/Monaco.  That would be no heavy lifting and fit right in with Gisele's fashion schedule.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

The shotgun is a safer formation for a QB. He should run more of that if he wants to last longer.

It's more precictable and has destroyed many chances to win playoff games.  Could you describe what you mean by "safer"?

If you're in the shotgun, D's cheat and know it's a pass. All they have to do is practice the snap and Brady needs to improve his footwork off the snap.  He's a much better QB under center.

[/QUOTE]

You can run the ball out of the shotgun, so a D can't "know" it's a pass.

It's safer because the QB can see the whole D right from the snap. He has a much better chance to avoid getting blasted by a rusher who just blows through the blocking if he is in the shotgun because he can see it sooner.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sorry but the only thing that Brady will be doing in 5 years is Gisselle.  He will create another empire, and why not?  Good for him, make as much money as makes ya happy Tom. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's more precictable and has destroyed many chances to win playoff games.  Could you describe what you mean by "safer"?

If you're in the shotgun, D's cheat and know it's a pass. All they have to do is practice the snap and Brady needs to improve his footwork off the snap.  He's a much better QB under center.

You can run the ball out of the shotgun, so a D can't "know" it's a pass.

It's safer because the QB can see the whole D right from the snap. He has a much better chance to avoid getting blasted by a rusher who just blows through the blocking if he is in the shotgun because he can see it sooner.

Yeah I agree with that, but there are some who say the QB has to take his eyes off the field to watch the ball as it travels through the air compared to a 7 step drop where he can study the field as he drops back. To me I'd go with the shotgun being safer - he can look the whole field over from a better vantage point waiting for the snap and he is further back right away from the pass rush...he knows exactly which side those guys are coming in the shotgun, compared to having his head cocked to one side as he back pedals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sorry but the only thing that Brady will be doing in 5 years is Gisselle.  He will create another empire, and why not?  Good for him, make as much money as makes ya happy Tom. 

[/QUOTE]

I guess he's a liar then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, but a draw over and over isn't establishing a run. Also, if you sub your draw RB onto the field, Ds absolutely know the chances of a draw may be coming.

Running from the shotgun isn't a draw. And I thought you just said they know a pass is coming. Now you say they know the chances of a draw may be coming.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Why not just stand in the shotgun, see what you want to see, then get back under center again?

I just said from the gun you can see rushers blowing out a lineman better. Pay attention.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If he is a Republican, no way he's a right wing nutty. He'd be more like a Bill Weld type, fiscally conservative, socially liberal. A progressive Republican like a Teddy Roosevelt.

How would you know what kind of Republican he would be? Can you go a whole day without making things up?

Don't even talk about old time politics. Back in the day the democrats wanted slavery and the Republicans put a stop to it. LMAO@U

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess he's a liar then.

[/QUOTE]

Do you honestly think that he will take a job with the demands of a head coach?  Why would he do that? He has a castle and a princess of a wife and in 5 years his kids will be into sports and a lot of fun things that he will want to be a part of.   So insinuate that I'm calling him a liar, I'm just using reasoning and logic in my opinion.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

it's about using whatever works.....and whatever the coaching staff can to to confuse things for the opponents; whether it's on offense or defense.

time for the defense to be much more aggressive between the 20s