Question about CB depth Chart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Question about CB depth Chart

I have been hearing lots of good things about Malcom Butler and Travis Hawkins. I believe Butler was here towards the end of last year, not sure. He seems to be taking full advantage of his reps in camp. Travis has logged a couple interceptions and has also shown well on kickoff returns. I am not sure if he plays on any other s/t units. Butler has said to have displayed tight coverage throughout the first week of camp and looks like a player. J.Green is another holdover from last year to keep an eye on. He has made some plays as well.

So last week I mentioned how I read that Revis inviting a bunch of guys out to Arizona work out for 4 months and all the Pats DBs seemed to have benefited from it. Tavon Wilson for instance has looked better and is in a battle between Chung and Harmon for the SS spot. What I found surprising is that Kyle Arrington did not join his secondary mates in Arizona and coincidentally, he has been the main guy mentioned when WRs are making plays. Now being a whooping boy is nothing new for Kyle but my question is, will BB give him the axe if there is a better player in front of him?

I am not saying Butler is better by any means as I have yet to see him play a game. I just find it interesting that Arrington chose not to be involved in a team building opportunity as well as a chance to learn from the best. Logan is clearly ahead of him IMO as well as Dennard when he gets up to speed so my question is...are we gonna pay Kyle 4 million to be possibly our 5th or 6th CB on the depth chart? I think its time for him to go if Butler and or Hawkins shows up in preseason. I know, I know...he is a good special teamer...but an expensive one, no?

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Question about CB depth Chart

Arrington should make the team for no other reason than his contract. But, here's how I break down the depth chart right now:

Outside CB's - Clearly Revis, and Browner no debate. If healthy Dennard and Ryan are the immediate backups.

Slot CB's - Right now I'm giving the starting spot to Ryan as he took the job from Arrington last year. If healthy Dennard can pu up a good fight with Arrington for that immediate backup spot.

FS - McCourty is starting but plenty of room behind him. In an emergency Harmon covered FS spot last year but I'm thinking Ryan will be a flex FS/CB if an emergency happens (seems like a good fit for his abilities) but this is where Hawkins, Davis, or Green can come in and earn a spot as a flex emergency FS/CB. Interesting T. Wilson is listed as the main backup at the FS spot on the teams depth chart.

SS - It's Harmons spot to lose with Chung and T. Wilson battling it out for the backup role. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Arrington is a lock as a premier slot cb.  Leave it to shizzles.

Edelman had beaten revis and arrington.  To throw away arguably the best slot nickel in the afc and one who shuts down welkie is one of the dumbest things i have ever seen posted here.

We finally get premier quality on the outside for arrington to thrive inside and shiZzles wants to ditch the inside cb.  Brilliant!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arrington should make the team for no other reason than his contract. But, here's how I break down the depth chart right now:

Outside CB's - Clearly Revis, and Browner no debate. If healthy Dennard and Ryan are the immediate backups.

Slot CB's - Right now I'm giving the starting spot to Ryan as he took the job from Arrington last year. If healthy Dennard can pu up a good fight with Arrington for that immediate backup spot.

FS - McCourty is starting but plenty of room behind him. In an emergency Harmon covered FS spot last year but I'm thinking Ryan will be a flex FS/CB if an emergency happens (seems like a good fit for his abilities) but this is where Hawkins, Davis, or Green can come in and earn a spot as a flex emergency FS/CB. Interesting T. Wilson is listed as the main backup at the FS spot on the teams depth chart.

SS - It's Harmons spot to lose with Chung and T. Wilson battling it out for the backup role. 

[/QUOTE]

Eng,
    Agreed. I see lots of possibilities with the varying skill sets of these guys.

Rusty, you are still calling Arrington the best slot CB in the league?? LOL, The guy was benched on more than one occasion last year. Ryan looked better as a rookie. We have 2 others who can play the position for much cheaper, IJS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Eng,

Rusty, you are still calling Arrington the best slot CB in the league?? LOL, The guy was benched on more than one occasion last year. Ryan looked better as a rookie. We have 2 others who can play the position for much cheaper, IJS.

[/QUOTE]

Ineffective play with a groin tear, playing tough and playing through it, after a stellar start through week 3 vs tb, is not being benched.

Please get the facts before mouthing off.

Our team was devastated by injuries last year, especially on d.

Arrington is a guy who will be seen in a much different light by morons who cannot accept he has been playing out of a comfort zone due to necessity.

Yes, he is absolutely one of the best slot cbs with superb lateral movement and bb paid him as such.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Eng,

[/QUOTE]

Ineffective play with a groin tear, playing tough and playing through it, after a stellar start through week 3 vs tb, is not being benched.

Arrington is a guy who will be seen in a much different light by morons who cannot accept he has been playing out of a comfort zone due to necessity.

Yes, he is absolutely one of the best slot cbs with superb lateral movement and bb paid him as such.

[/QUOTE]

Well I thought Logan played better last year. Also, these new guys Malcom Butler and Travis Hawkins have impressed on D AND play on special teams so I thought it was a valid ??. I am not knocking Kyle but BB always said he is looking to improve the team all the time.

This is what was written by an NFL reporter this past march....

Overall

I think the Pats can do damage in the draft, they can add depth to positions that need it, and they can add potentially better players to certain positions. Like if they get a good corner they can let go of Kyle Arrington who is a waste of a million dollars. But you never know what Belichick and the Patriots are going to do, so at this point who knows what they’re going to do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Daxton Swanson is the sleeper of all these cornerbacks - he really has been showing a nose for the ball in practices  . . . if the Pats feel they only have Revis and Browner for a year then they will not let this guy go . . . not sure who might have time left on the PS between Swanson, Green, Butler, Hawkins,Gary and Thomas but at least two of these guys will be on the practice squad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eng,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I thought Logan played better last year. Also, these new guys Malcom Butler and Travis Hawkins have impressed on D AND play on special teams so I thought it was a valid ??. I am not knocking Kyle but BB always said he is looking to improve the team all the time.

Overall

I think the Pats can do damage in the draft, they can add depth to positions that need it, and they can add potentially better players to certain positions. Like if they get a good corner they can let go of Kyle Arrington who is a waste of a million dollars. But you never know what Belichick and the Patriots are going to do, so at this point who knows what they’re going to do.

[/QUOTE]

Logan ryan was very impressive as a rookie and proved he could play inside and out.

You can never have enough cbs in his era either.

The pats play a base nickel and revis may not even be here next year.  Bb can stash a new cb on the ps.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eng,

[/QUOTE]

Seems crazy doesn't he? Wow. Guy can't even stay on field for the pats horrific secondary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eng,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Overall

[/QUOTE]

Logan ryan was very impressive as a rookie and proved he could play inside and out.

The pats play a base nickel and revis may not even be here next year.  Bb can stash a new cb on the ps.

[/QUOTE]

Arrington suks azz. BB made a big mistake and got fleeced for a marginal talent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eng,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Overall

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Arrington suks azz. BB made a big mistake and got fleeced for a marginal talent.

[/QUOTE]

How can the best slot cb in the conference suck azz, bustchise?  How is kylie wilson doing? New contract him or will he finally be cut as crappy as that 1st rd bust of a pick from 2010? Hmm?

Lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

While we've been hearing good things about these no names in camp it doesn't mean anything to me.

Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan and Arrington are all going to make it an that's it.

To me, the biggest question about the secondary is who makes it at S. Harmon, Chung, Wilson or Ebner? Personally I see Harmon and Wilson making it..

CB Depth Chart for me:

Outside CB1: Revis/Dennard

Outside CB2: Browner/Ryan

Slot CB: Dennard/Arrington

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While we've been hearing good things about these no names in camp it doesn't mean anything to me.

Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan and Arrington are all going to make it an that's it.

To me, the biggest question about the secondary is who makes it at S. Harmon, Chung, Wilson or Ebner? Personally I see Harmon and Wilson making it..

CB Depth Chart for me:

Outside CB1: Revis/Dennard

Outside CB2: Browner/Ryan

Slot CB: Dennard/Arrington

[/QUOTE]

I've never seen Dennard play the slot on a regular basis, if ever.  Arrington is as penciled in as this team's slot CB as the sun coming up tomorrow, Joe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eng,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love it! Yes, Arrington is a " premier corner" just because BB paid him. BahahHa!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I've never seen Dennard play the slot on a regular basis, if ever.  Arrington is as penciled in as this team's slot CB as the sun coming up tomorrow, Joe.

[/QUOTE]

I know, but just let things play out over this month and watch. Arrington isn't cutting it. I think Dennard has the talent to beat him out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

If true, good way for Revis to establish his leadership with this team and build some comradery amongst the DBs

It's easy for everyone to look good early in training camp; and, yes, I would expect Arrington move down the depth chart if BB feels that any player would do a better job. Arringtons weaknesses are well documented.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont see it. There is going to be a ton of movemet with this defensive back field, but if he is healthy, I think Arrington is at slot

Browner missing first 4 games, means Revis, Dennerd and Ryan playing outside corner snaps with Arrington inside.

Once Browner returns, I do think eventually he settles into that outside rotation. I think Browner also sees tme in a big nickle alignment with Hightower coming out

I can also see Ryan getting time at S and at slot

Lots of talent back there. Lots of versatility back there. If they have shown oe thing however, Arrington and Dennerd have been dinged up. Seems this versatility and depth should allow injuries to rest and heal. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Arrington has a major special teams role.  I've said this many times before, but part of the reason he got the contract he did is because BB likes his contribution on Special Teams.  After Slater, he's been our most effective downfield cover guy on kicks for years now. I'm not sure he's the best nickel corner in the league--that seems hyperbolic to me--but he's a decent, versatile back-up quality DB who is also an excellent special teamer.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arrington has a major special teams role.  I've said this many times before, but part of the reason he got the contract he did is because BB likes his contribution on Special Teams.  After Slater, he's been our most effective downfield cover guy on kicks for years now. I'm not sure he's the best nickel corner in the league--that seems hyperbolic to me--but he's a decent, versatile back-up quality DB who is also an excellent special teamer.  

[/QUOTE]

Pro, while I do not agree with your assesment of Arrington at slot, if you are correct, the Pats wildly over paid for Arrington.

Again, I do not agre, but if you are right, seems you described Arringtons value that should pay about half what the PAts paid

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pro, while I do not agree with your assesment of Arrington at slot, if you are correct, the Pats wildly over paid for Arrington.

Again, I do not agre, but if you are right, seems you described Arringtons value that should pay about half what the PAts paid

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And that might be the case. I mean other than Rusty have you heard a single person say Arrington is worth what he's paid? By the end of last year his best value was certainly as a STer and I suspect once Browner gets back and Ryan takes starts in the slot, Arrington will once again be most valuable to the team as a STer

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Regardless of who is the starting slot CB, I don't think Arrington gets cut. He counts counts 3,6 mill. against the cap, but would mean almost 4,9 mill. in dead money if cut - if I read this correctly.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/kyle-arrington/" rel="nofollow">http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/kyle-arrington/

So him being on the roster creates more cap space than him being cut. BB would have to really dislike him to do it - kind of like Brandon Lloyd being cut after 2012.

Supra societatem nemo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Arrington makes plays, bone crushing tackles, forced fumbles, interceptions, special teams tackles... on game day he shows up.  He isn't paid so much you should be complaining about it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of who is the starting slot CB, I don't think Arrington gets cut. He counts counts 3,6 mill. against the cap, but would mean almost 4,9 mill. in dead money if cut - if I read this correctly.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/kyle-arrington/" rel="nofollow">http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/kyle-arrington/" rel="nofollow">http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/kyle-arrington/

So him being on the roster creates more cap space than him being cut. BB would have to really dislike him to do it - kind of like Brandon Lloyd being cut after 2012.

Supra societatem nemo

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree, unless a rook really blows him out of the water (which given ST play I don't see it) Arrington is on the team. The question is do they carry 5 CB's or 6 CB's with one being a rook/2nd year that can flex to S at times and only carry 3-4 S's?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Say what you will about Arrington... I would agree with most of it especially when he gets matched up or is asked to cover outside the numbers. With Denver being the biggest obstacle for the Pats and the job Arrington did on Welker especially in the game at Foxboro last year, I think it is worth it to have him for those games this year. Take away Mannings check down option in Welker  and then watch him have to force throws to receivers being covered by Revis, Browning, Dennard and Ryan. I skewered Arrington in the past but if the secondary stays healthy he won't be asked to do things he may not be capable of doing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arrington makes plays, bone crushing tackles, forced fumbles, interceptions, special teams tackles... on game day he shows up.  He isn't paid so much you should be complaining about it.

[/QUOTE]

Wozzy, you could also add "when he has been healthy". Reports have been Arrington not being healthy the past 2 years, but still playing every game, including out of position on the outside.

I think a bit of context is called for with salary as well. Arrington is not over paid in context to Revis. But compare him to Dennerd, Ryan and Browner, Arrington is on the high side. IF, repeat if, Arrington is not playing 50% plus of the snaps, then it can be said he is over paid