Question About Ligament Tears

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Question About Ligament Tears

I think they are all different. Ive only sprain my MCL in terms of ligaments. While on the  wrestling team, It hurt like a Beyotch but I couldnt let my opponent see. I finished the match and loss obviously. Just wanted it to be over. Iced up, took 3 weeks to heal. No biggie

In terms of Tendons. I did completely rupture my Patella Tendon(Tendon that holds your kneecap together) So my kneecap was up in my thigh area but at the time I had no idea what I did. I went up to block a shot playing bball. While in the air, I heard a pop and had a very painful, funny bone type feeling that lasted about 5 minutes before I could relax. I just layed there while everyone told me to get up and walk it off. I was trying to tell them, No I think I really messed my knee up. I had a brace on, so I couldnt see but I knew I couldnt move it. I got carried to car,driven home, no hospital( my brother thought it was nothing) took a perk and dragged myself around the house till the next day when I decided to go in and they told me I needed surgery. The rehab for this was more more extensice than ACL surgery which is rather quick now and also when you tear an ACL, most walk away. I could not. Took a full 2 years for me to be right but Im still playing 6 years later.

The real pain was after I woke up from surgery. It was excruciating. I asked for stronger meds but nothing. They had me try to walk the next day and I couldnt. I recall the doc saying, you better try cuz bad things happen when you stay here too long. The next morning I did everything in my power to walk w/crutches when the girl came back. I was bedridden for a half of year. It s*cked!!!! 

so yes to answer your question. It does hurt like h3ll at first but after the initial shock and awe and you settle down, the emotion takes over the pain and you start thinking about not being able to play. Even a broken leg feels much better after the 1st five minutes.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Wow.  That's brutal.

My dad ripped his ACL when he was younger but I wasn't there to witness it.  It just seems like there is a subsiding of the pain soon after the initial tear.

The players seems to go from pain to a calmness minutes later.  I am sure it still hurts, but it seems like the reduction in pain is significant.

I;ve broken two bones and both times I wasn't sure I broken anything. Then, after a few minutes you realize it's a break nd that throbbing gets worse and worse.

You weren't there or he wasn't there?   Got to be honest, knowing what I know about you, I'd have left too. 

Sing it, rusty, sing it.  "Daddy wasn't there"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

I blown out both ACLs.  I can't recall what it felt like, though. I've had 11 concussions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

I blown out both ACLs.  I can't recall what it felt like, though. I've had 11 concussions.

i thought a brain was required for concussions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:

If you've only thought that, you're an idiot.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Seems about right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Tore/popped hamstring and also experienced high speed spiral fracture of tib/fib (think Theismann minus breaking out of the flesh.) Though both injuries were dramatically different, similar initial physical responses and feelings. Both times Leg immediately went limp and i crumbled to the ground. The pain seems like it was excrutiating at first but fear for the unknown made me think it felt worse than it actually did. The real pain didn't kick in for probably 2-5 mins.  For me both times, the initial emotional outpouring of writhing and screaming was due to fear of the unknown, reflecting on what just happened, how it was gonna fulck up my life in short term, career, future, violent anger and "why me" emotion, etc. i believe the body initially goes into a type of shock and then once the nerves pick up on it, the excrutiating physical pain kicks iN. For me the initial mentally induced sufferring part is far worse when you know it affects your livlihood. The physical pain is secondary and comes later   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

LOL

Bustchise claims he played pro football. No lie.  

He thinks getting a headache playing the trumpet at halftime, is considered a football related injury

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Wow.  That's brutal.

My dad ripped his ACL when he was younger but I wasn't there to witness it.  It just seems like there is a subsiding of the pain soon after the initial tear.

The players seems to go from pain to a calmness minutes later.  I am sure it still hurts, but it seems like the reduction in pain is significant.

I;ve broken two bones and both times I wasn't sure I broken anything. Then, after a few minutes you realize it's a break nd that throbbing gets worse and worse.

Exactly. Some times its the opposite. I broke my wrist playing football and had a Vareen moment. Played the rest of the game and all. I knew I had hurt it, but since it didnt "look" broke or wasnt hanging off I played on. Later after the game, I felt the pain more and thought to get it checked. It was just a fracture and I wore a cast 6 months I think.  I believe Breaks are better than ligaments and tendons IMO

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Double injury...he blew his brains out as well.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Pull a Seau?  No, not my style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Pull a Seau?  No, not my style.

Well...we can always hope you change your mind.....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I know we've had some on here who have experienced this and I was just curious about what it feels like and what the experience is like in comparison to a broken bone. Just curious.

I noticed when it first happens it's clearly very painful, but then a minute or so later, the person isn't grimacing, experiencing the same kind of an intense pain.

Does it just subside a bit after the intial pain and when the tear happens?  A broken bone hurts for sure, but it continues to throb and be very uncomfortable until it can be reset.

It just seems like the player is always somewhat comfortable when on the cart, as opposed to just after the injury occurs.

I've had my left knee rebuilt/repaired 3 times.

As with every injury it depends on the nature and severity of the injury when it happens and also the way in which it happens.

It also depends on if it is happening to a non athlete or finely tuned athlete as well. What I mean by that is how strong your surrounding tendons, ligaments, and muscles are around the affected area.

I've had my ACL replaced by part of my petellar tendon, hamstring and a cadaver, my medical meniscus reattached, and also later a piece clipped out, the knee cap dislocated, and my MCL repaired.

To keep it simple and to the point, generally speaking you are correct.

Tearing the ACL itself is like an instant sharp pain but then not really much afterward. The nature or how it happened comes into play with the pain. Welkers probably hurt less because he was not "also" being slammed into at the time. Gronks leg was being smashed so that in and of itself carries pain with it in addition to the tear. Sometimes the ligament is torn, stretch to a fray etc and other times its blown up/apart/snapped.

That is also why people who claim that one athlete is a warrior while another is a p*ssy because of how they handle seeming the same injury is a joke. Two players may have a torn ACL. One has a tear/fray and the surgeon goes in to clean it up to keep anything from catching on anything else during movement and then the rehab is mostly strengthening. The other player might have his blown up and he need a new one grafted in and then reattached by drilling through the bone and bone plugging it. Sure both have torn ACL's but drastically different surgery's, recovery, and rehab.

As with most other traumas to the body the injury will generally be instantly flooded and surrounded by supportive fluid by the body. Hence the swelling. One of the quick tests they can also do in addition to the traditional stability test is to stick a needle in the swelling and draw fluid. If it is is mostly clear if might be some sort of severity of strain but if there is a significant amount of blood your f'd.

Depending on the ligement damaged depends on what movements the knee is weakened in, rotationally, side to side, etc. If it is just ACL then it is conceivable, depending on severity and over all strength of everything in the leg around the knee, to still be active and productive. Mankins playing in the guard spot, if not asked to do a lot of pulling etc can play as he did on a torn ACL. Trying to cut and or do a lot of change of direction or anything requiring constant full leg extension would not be possible. Which is also when you see many of these types of injuries occur. The knee joint is at its strongest in a bent state, weakest fully extended.

For me, personally, tearing out my medial meniscus was excruciating to the point of almost throwing up but tearing my ACL and MCLs not so much. Thinking about what my leg did while the tears happened was more sickening than the actual pain caused by the tears. That is why you will hear many say that the psychological part of getting over the injury is harder than getting over the injury itself. It was for me. I was always thinking my leg was going to fold up sideways on me again.

The other reasons cartilage and dislocations are more painful is that you are altering the normal functional kinesiology of the body where as the ligaments are often more supportive roles.

I'm no doctor but those are my recollections from things that happened to me in my experiences and memories of what was explained to me by my doctors and physical therapists.

I also have less confidence in a players future who has substantial cartilage damage than I am an ACL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I may not have the same "war stories" about ACL stuff, but, I do recall popping my hamstring.  What surprised me the most, other than the obvious pain, is that I actually heard the "pop" when it went and immediately could not run.  Stopped dead in my tracks.  Just walking and flexing that leg was a chore.

Most painful injury for me was a severely sprained ankle playing hockey.  Caught the skate in a rut while stopping.  Body kept going while the ankle simply folded over.  Talk about pain!  To this day I have a ganglion (sic?) cyst at that spot in my ankle that makes it look like I have two ankle bones on the inside.  People always ask about why my ankle looks that way.

Currently living with a tear of the miniscus inside my left knee.  That is the result of a board check: the checker, my knee and the boards.  Ouch!  Locks up once in a while and until it does badly, doc says just live with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

SealedSealedIn response to DeadAhead's comment:

I know we've had some on here who have experienced this and I was just curious about what it feels like and what the experience is like in comparison to a broken bone. Just curious.

I noticed when it first happens it's clearly very painful, but then a minute or so later, the person isn't grimacing, experiencing the same kind of an intense pain.

Does it just subside a bit after the intial pain and when the tear happens?  A broken bone hurts for sure, but it continues to throb and be very uncomfortable until it can be reset.

It just seems like the player is always somewhat comfortable when on the cart, as opposed to just after the injury occurs.

I had an ACL completely tear in 1984, at first no pain but shortly after the initial expolsion excrutiating pain! I couldn't stand and I was immediately hospitalized with surgery scheduled for the following morning, I was a ginny pig of sorts as I was one of the first for a new procedure Arthroscopic surgery! They messed it up and instead of a 4 week to 8 week recovery, it was more like 6 months. I don't envy Gronk, his rehab will be almost has harrowing as his injury and twice as frustrating. Though the procedures for Athroscopic surgery have improved and I'm sure he's not using the same vetrinarian that I was saddled with!!! He did however have a degree in dentistry to go along with the Vetrinary degree!!!Sealed

Sections
Shortcuts