Question about punters/kickers...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Question about punters/kickers...

So I've always wondered, how hard is it to teach a guy to punt and kick?  I realize they are 2 very different motions, but I feel like you would have to have the same natural talent (big leg) to do either.  Personally, I was a very good punter (barefoot actually, you don't see that anymore), but I could never kick a feild goal to save my life.  I guess my point is that on an NFL roster of 53 guys, and a game day roster of 45, wouldn't it make sense if all of your kicking duties were handled by one guy to dress an extra player?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Question about punters/kickers...

I've always wondered about this too.  Has any team ever tried just having one kicker/punter?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

first punter has to handle the ball kicker doesn't

also think that motions are so different that you don't want to have an issue with throwing either off kilter

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

I did all the kicking in high school....sign me up....I thought the same that someone out there should athletic enough to do both.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why can't a center be the long snapper?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Damian Woody

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Damian Woody

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If you have oneguy for both and he gets knocked even a little you could effect a lot of points and field position. I bet that in a pinch Mesko could kick fg's and ghostowski could punt.  I've seen teams have 2 kickers before, one for kickoffs and one for fg's.  I always wondered why the kickers don't sky the kick like a punt, this way they would have to call a fair catch. Now the kicking is closer you would think this could be possible. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Back in the 60s Don Chandler kicked and punted for the Packers. when he was with Giants he only punted , but there was this coach on the Giants that probably agreed with contributors on this thread. So this Lombardi guy got Chandler from the Giants and had him double duty for the Pack. Based on the Packs record then, they probably got some usage with that extra spot.

also back then there was a lot of positional players that did kicking duties:

Lou Groza lineman

Ron Kramer lineman

Paul Hornung RB

gary Collins cle  end

Pat Summerall end     to some extent early in career.

pat McInally Bengals end

And of Course:

Gino !!!!

Tom Yewcick  back up QB for Pats punted

Tom Tupa       '      "       "  "   "   "    "

Does Fluie qualify with his drop kick?

Interesting reviewing this list, there are 3 Packers   Hmm this Lombardi guy must have kown something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Thanks for shedding some light on this for me guys, I would still love to pick an NFL coaches brain and see what they say though

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Game is far too specialized these days for that sort of thing. As we all know, they don't even let the starting center long snap anymore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Blanda .. how could i have forgotten him!

I also wonder if the soccer style place kicking lends itself to more specialization. Back in the days of the double duty guys, the straight on kicking was the style.

Now that I think about it , that is the key ..soccer guys cant use their hands ... thats why they dont punt!

As a side note  the last field goal ever kicked in the old College All Stars vs the NFL champ game ( I think 70, 71) was by Mike Delaney from AIC ( Springfield). In high school ( West Springfield), he was an outstanding soccer player and didn't play football.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Back in the 60s Don Chandler kicked and punted for the Packers. when he was with Giants he only punted , but there was this coach on the Giants that probably agreed with contributors on this thread. So this Lombardi guy got Chandler from the Giants and had him double duty for the Pack. Based on the Packs record then, they probably got some usage with that extra spot.

also back then there was a lot of positional players that did kicking duties:

Lou Groza lineman

Ron Kramer lineman

Paul Hornung RB

gary Collins cle  end

Pat Summerall end     to some extent early in career.

pat McInally Bengals end

And of Course:

Gino !!!!

Tom Yewcick  back up QB for Pats punted

Tom Tupa       '      "       "  "   "   "    "

Does Fluie qualify with his drop kick?

Interesting reviewing this list, there are 3 Packers   Hmm this Lombardi guy must have kown something.

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts