Question about roster moves for a 4-3 DL...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Question about roster moves for a 4-3 DL...

Here is a Pats roster http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

The patriots currently have 13 DL on the roster. These are DL for a 3-4 (DTs and DEs) who are too big to play DE in a 4-3. There are 7 3-4 OLBs on the roster. They would obviously play end in a 4-3. So how will the roster shake out if the pats switch to a base 4-3 with the pats current MLBs playing MLB and OLB and the current 3-4 OLBs play on the line. I just don't know how this works out to get down to the 53.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

Re: Question about roster moves for a 4-3 DL...

I was thinking the exact same thing...it will definitely be interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB never coached a 4-3 defense, switching to one in a shorten offseason is a VERY bad idea! If I recognize this, BB knew that before he even had the thought of it. Haynesworth is playing DE and in passing downs, they'll try some 43 with him playing DT. 

We don't have the personnel to run a 4-3. We don't have a 43 OLB on the roster. Spikes is too slow to play there, the OLBs on the roster are suited to play DE in a 43. If you see BB going after 43 OLBs i'll see a change coming. The top 4 of the top 5 defenses in the league are 34s. 

By Yards                                       

Chargers 3-4                                  
    Steelers  3-4
    Jets        3-4
    Saints     4-3
    Packers   3-4

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wouldn't be too surprised to see us use a lot of 4-2-5 formations on passing downs, though, with 4 DLs, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs.  My guess is we remain a 3-4 team, but see more variations with 4 DLs. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I envision a LOT of subpackages depending on who makes the final cut

4-2-5 is just the start of it.  This linebacker corp runs as deep as I've seen it in a while

I think you could roll out Wright and Pryor with a bunch of rush/coverage linebackers on 3rd & long

Or you could put Haynesworth/Wilfork in a 1-5-5 or 1-4-6, especially because Jarrad Page and Brandon McGowan are tough enough and physical enough to play the OLB/SS hybrid and fill reasonably against the run

I'm excited.  The young guys must have learned a lot by now.  I think maybe the playbook grows quite a bit this year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

By no stretch am I saying that I actually think we will switch to a base 4-3. It is just something we have seen in the media the past couple of days so I though I'd ask. I think the defense will remain relatively unchanged from last year. Base 34, with a TON (over 50%) sub packages.

BB is a shrewd one though... We will see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB plays as close to a 50% 3-4, 50% 4-3 as possible.  An emphasis on the 4-3 is possible this year, since the Belichick 3-4 is now all the rage in the NFL, so that 4-3 linemen are being sold off at fire sale prices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Question about roster moves for a 4-3 DL...:
    BB never coached a 4-3 defense, switching to one in a shorten offseason is a VERY bad idea! If I recognize this, BB knew that before he even had the thought of it. Haynesworth is playing DE and in passing downs, they'll try some 43 with him playing DT.  We don't have the personnel to run a 4-3. We don't have a 43 OLB on the roster. Spikes is too slow to play there, the OLBs on the roster are suited to play DE in a 43. If you see BB going after 43 OLBs i'll see a change coming. The top 4 of the top 5 defenses in the league are 34s.  By Yards                                         Chargers 3-4                                   Steelers  3-4 Jets        3-4 Saints     4-3 Packers   3-4
    Posted by 49Patriots

Bill Belichick never coached a 43 defense?!? He did in Cleveland for a while and the year we went to the Super Bowl in 96 was a 43 defense (he was the secondary coach). That year Parcells made the decision to go to the 43 because of personel...so it's not like Belichick couldn't or wouldn't do it or be able to.

Is it going to happen here? I think so, because the guys we have on the outside are not good enough, nor do they scare anyone. I'm sorry, I'm sure Nicovich is a nice guy and a decent player, same for Cunningham, but to think that they are going to be enough to justify staying in a 34 is not realistic. Having a guy like Spikes doesn't mean that you can't play a 43 either. The front seven needed to be added to and it was (Haynsworth). It needed to be subracted and it was (Banta Cain and Warren).

Do they still play some 34? Probably, but I just think the lack of moves (thru the draft and so far in free agency) lead me to believe they are going 43 more. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wouldn't be too surprised to see us use a lot of 4-2-5 formations on passing downs, though, with 4 DLs, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs.  My guess is we remain a 3-4 team, but see more variations with 4 DLs. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Could be the case, they have a boat load of safeties and have drafted very heavy on the secondary. What two linebackers stay on the field? Mayo and who else? Guyton? You can't ask Nincovich, Cunningham,Fletcher, Spikes or Moore to do it...they don't have the speed /experience to handle that much ground or responsibilities.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

BB plays as close to a 50% 3-4, 50% 4-3 as possible.  An emphasis on the 4-3 is possible this year, since the Belichick 3-4 is now all the rage in the NFL, so that 4-3 linemen are being sold off at fire sale prices.
    Posted by Paul_K

I kind of would like to agree on the fire sale prices, but if you can pass rush (I'm talking about DE's here) then your price is high no matter what. As for the draft, there is huge competition for those 34 players now, but when a skilled 43 end enters the draft...he is gone early. A good 43 end has a lot to handle; he has to hold up in the run like a tackle, yet be able to move to the sidelines to stay with the run. He's got to be able to get around an offensive tackle, not only with speed, but with power...because they are lined up much closer than those speedy outside linebackers in the 34. Can we get one at this point? I think if we want to spend, they're there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Question about roster moves for a 4-3 DL... : Could be the case, they have a boat load of safeties and have drafted very heavy on the secondary. What two linebackers stay on the field? Mayo and who else? Guyton? You can't ask Nincovich, Cunningham,Fletcher, Spikes or Moore to do it...they don't have the speed /experience to handle that much ground or responsibilities.
    Posted by mthurl

Mayo and Guyton seem like the guys who can cover the most ground and defend both run and pass, so they'd be the front runners, I think, to play the LB position in a 4-2-5.  Ninkovich might be the third option--as could some of the bigger safeties.  BB has always used a lot of unconventional formations on D--I suspect this year we'll see even more of those as he tries to get the most from the talent he has.  I'm also wondering if he's looking for ways to make our D more aggressive. The Pats tend to run a more conservative D, that is designed more to prevent big plays than to attack and disrupt the offense.  Maybe BB is looking for ways to get more of an attack from his line.  So we might see less two-gap and more one-gap.  Honestly, it's hard to guess what BB will do, but I do think it's going to be a fun year for watching the defense. That's the thing I remember most about the 2003 season--how much fun it was to watch the D because they varied things up so much from game to game and always seemed to be in complete control.  I think we might see something more like that again this year. 

Sections
Shortcuts