Question for BB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

Question for BB?

You have one of the best QBs to play the game and with 42 seconds left you spike and knee the ball. Why did the Pats not run their offense and try to score--at least gain another 1st down, therefore decreasing the yardage on the FG try---I am confounded by this---is anyone else----42 yard FGs under pressure to win are not even close to guaranteed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Question for BB?

It's a very good question and when it happened I could believe what was seeing. Going soft, non the less for a fg over 35+ yards? Not the usual Patriots way, personally. But, this game was such a cluster you know what, I wasn't surprised by anything that happened in this game. It was like watching a greek tragedy unfold.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I agree and wondered that as well. I have tons of questions as well. Edelman started over Welker? We trade for Salas and give up two picks for him but he isnt good enough for the active roster. we had 3rd and short twice and try to throw for 30plus yards.....we back ourselves in a corner and now have to play the Ravens in Baltimore and 1-2 looks like a reality.............wow

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You just saw Spikes take the ball away from the opposing team under similar conditions and you ask why, Ghost should have made the kick.  They could have tried to get closer but the call was the right one...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Kicking on third down is also a safe call, since you get another chance if there's a penalty. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I have absolutely zero problem with with the decision - none whatsoever.  Ghost had been lights out all game and was hitting from outside the 50. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You just saw Spikes take the ball away from the opposing team under similar conditions and you ask why, Ghost should have made the kick.  They could have tried to get closer but the call was the right one...

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely disagree. Since when is cowering down with supposedly one of the best offenses in the league "the right call"?? Penalties or not, they were hot at the end of the game, and taking their foot off the pedal cost them. At the very least take a few shots on some safe out patterns to get closer. 42 yards is no chip shot. Of cousre they should have played better all game so they weren't in that situation, but putting the brakes on an offense that was moving the ball at will just seems completely insane to me.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have one of the best QBs to play the game and with 42 seconds left you spike and knee the ball. Why did the Pats not run their offense and try to score--at least gain another 1st down, therefore decreasing the yardage on the FG try---I am confounded by this---is anyone else----42 yard FGs under pressure to win are not even close to guaranteed.

because mcdaniels plays not to lose rather than playing to win.he called plays the same conservative way his last go round,which wasn't great

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Don't blame a shank by the kicker on the coaching staff.  He made longer FGs earlier in the day.

If the kicker wilted from the pressure in GAME 2, then can he be trusted to kick a game winner in the Super Bowl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a very good question and when it happened I could believe what was seeing. Going soft, non the less for a fg over 35+ yards? Not the usual Patriots way, personally. But, this game was such a cluster you know what, I wasn't surprised by anything that happened in this game. It was like watching a greek tragedy unfold.

[/QUOTE]

Very well said Freediro---A Greek Tragedy for sure!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree -  it was not the right call-- you don't play to not lose--- you play to win--46 seconds and 2 timeouts with 1st down around the 30--you keep trying to gain yards. And, when the Pats had the ball at the 30 of zona they ran a pitch run to the right and lost 10 yards instead of having TB throw for 3 yards--at worst --incomplete pass and a 47 yd FG---not McDaniels best called game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Imagine, for a sec, the Pats became aggressive and they DID turn the ball over like the Cardinals gifted previously with their fumble.  I can hear the screams now on this board:  " What were you guys trying to do?  We do not need a TD to win it, run the clock down and this is a chip shot for the Ghost.  Why did you try for that TD pass which was tipped and intercepted??!!  Run the ball to get it close, guys!!"  Can you hear it folks? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE] Don't blame a shank by the kicker on the coaching staff.  He made longer FGs earlier in the day.

If the kicker wilted from the pressure in GAME 2, then can he be trusted to kick a game winner in the Super Bowl. [/QUOTE]

In Gostkowski's previous 6 seasons with the Patriots, how many last second game winning field goal attempts does he have? I don't remember any.

He needs to gain more experience making kicks with that game-on-the-line type of pressure. It can't be practiced, it can't be replicated, it needs to be experienced.

By my count, Ghost is 0 for 1. Hopefully, next week he'll get a chance to redeem himself and be 1 for 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Imagine, for a sec, the Pats became aggressive and they DID turn the ball over like the Cardinals gifted previously with their fumble.  I can hear the screams now on this board:  " What were you guys trying to do?  We do not need a TD to win it, run the clock down and this is a chip shot for the Ghost.  Why did you try for that TD pass which was tipped and intercepted??!!  Run the ball to get it close, guys!!"  Can you hear it folks? 

[/QUOTE]

bill, agree on that possibility but if you compare the situations , a turnover is less likely than a missed FG... Now ghost is usually automatic but this is also a kicker who was shieded from high pressure kicks earlier in his career by going gor a lot of 4th downs.  Maybe this is why.  He shrinks.

no question this team should have run some real plays to gain yardage before spiking the ball.  Bb doesn't play scared of injuries , he shouldn't play scared of turnovers.  They had the time. This was a huge coaching mistake.  Made worse by the miss.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely disagree. Since when is cowering down with supposedly one of the best offenses in the league "the right call"?? Penalties or not, they were hot at the end of the game, and taking their foot off the pedal cost them. At the very least take a few shots on some safe out patterns to get closer. 42 yards is no chip shot. Of cousre they should have played better all game so they weren't in that situation, but putting the brakes on an offense that was moving the ball at will just seems completely insane to me.

[/QUOTE]

Tanbass, you nailed it.  this settling for the 40 45 yarders is a new trend it seems.  And it should be different WHEN YOU'RE BEHIND as opposed to tied going for the win.  if you're losing there's no overtime to fall back on...  Play aggressive to the end...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Damned shame to negate a phenomenal takeaway by the D.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

This game was not lost on that one kick.  I do not disagree with the call there.  Ghost had already made one longer than that.  Everyone misses, I hope it doesn't shake his confidence.  This loss clearly is on the offense, play calling and use of personnel.  I certAinly do not claim to be smarter than any of the Pats coaches, but I think using Woodhead on several third downs was bad.  Also, why is Chandler jones not in on obvious third down pass plays.  I think the team has some kinks to work out, as do a lot of other teams.  Tough game to lose, but in reality we did not deserve to win.  Hopefully a wake up call for everyone.  Also have to give credit to Arizona.  Everyone thinks they are a pushover team, but they do have a good defense.  Our defensive plan was obviously to limit Larry Fitzgerald which we did.  Our defense looks really good, and we could have easily had a few more sacks.  Kolb had a few lucky plays where he escaped, but he was under pressure a lot.  Just a really bad game offensively! Which happens sometimes.  As bad as our offense was we still had a chance to win.  Most teams would not have even been close in this game.  Just my two cents.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

THE LOSS WAS A TOTAL TEAM EFFORT

From my seat ( on the couch admittedly ) ,

I saw a team and coaching staff  that seemed to be a bit off the entire game .

Forget about the end of the game ...

What about the end of the half ( 6-6 game ) .

Time out is called by the Cards with 6 secs remaining and the Pats have 4th and long from midfield ( not sure why Cards called it in the first place )

After calling a TO of his own BB then elects to ... PUNT ?

Why not have Brady heave the ball into the end zone ( maybe you get a PI ? or a lucky bounce td ) If he was afraid of gettin' Brady hurt ( Cards had admittedly been tee'in off on him all game ) then why not insert the stronger armed Mallete and let him uncork one ?

There are times when you just get your butt into halftime  -

but that wasnt one of them .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From my seat ( on the couch admittedly ) ,

I saw a team and coaching staff  that seemed to be a bit off the entire game .

Forget about the end of the game ...

What about the end of the half ( 6-6 game ) .

Time out is called by the Cards with 6 secs remaining and the Pats have 4th and long from midfield ( not sure why Cards called it in the first place )

After calling a TO of his own BB then elects to ... PUNT ?

Why not have Brady heave the ball into the end zone ( maybe you get a PI ? or a lucky bounce td ) If he was afraid of gettin' Brady hurt ( Cards had admittedly been tee'in off on him all game ) then why not insert the stronger armed Mallete and let him uncork one ?

There are times when you just get your butt into halftime  -

but that wasnt one of them .

[/QUOTE]

I had the same reaction.  Brady running on the field Brady running off the field...  2  Timeouts ... What?  sometimes the extra "wheel spinning" looks dumb if you end up doing the regular conventional move.

Further, it gives the impression the cards were winning the coaching battle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Give Brady a chance to put in the endzone and you have chance he gets picked off. Again the team lost. The Cards D played well and it was a classic case of too little too late. It seems that with two time outs you could move the ball closer for Ghost or take one shot at the endzone. What bothers me most about this game is that the Cards are the type of team the Pats should beat without needing 4th quarter heroics. IF the Pats play this poorly against a hungry Ravens they could lose. It proves that you have to play your A game all the time. The D played well enough for the Pats to win; the offense did not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from funinCA. Show funinCA's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everyone else is. Coaching blunder. Also Brady use to be one of the best, he is not the same qb, both physically and mentally. I have not drunk the Brady juice since his knee operation. He has not come up with the big play in a long time. He still is 3rd best as far as stats are concerned, but I rather have a younger qb. It scares me hearing Brady says he wants to play until he is 40. He really will be a screaming jerk by then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to funinCA's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everyone else is. Coaching blunder. Also Brady use to be one of the best, he is not the same qb, both physically and mentally. I have not drunk the Brady juice since his knee operation. He has not come up with the big play in a long time. He still is 3rd best as far as stats are concerned, but I rather have a younger qb. It scares me hearing Brady says he wants to play until he is 40. He really will be a screaming jerk by then.

[/QUOTE]

"everyone else is..." ?  Guaranteed FG from 40 plus yards with the game on the line ?

How about the last 2 @ Gillette stadium . That's 0 for 2.   realistically , the hit % on kicks of this type IMO would be somewhere around 60%....  Nowhere near guaranteed. 

stay aggressive to the end. BIG MISTAKE to waste those 42 seconds.  Playing or coaching afraid of turnovers is a weak and losing posture.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GS1897. Show GS1897's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kicking on third down is also a safe call, since you get another chance if there's a penalty. 

[/QUOTE]

You would get another chance even if it were 4th down because you replay the down. And in the event of a bad snap, the clock would run out before you were able to get another play off...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts