Question for the long-term fans.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Question for the long-term fans.

I do not remember how we did in the pre-season games during our superbowl run...anyone know how well/badly we played?

Here are the results from NFL.com - but want to know the qualitative aspects - did we feel optimistic - or did we think there were MAJOR holes in the team?

2003:  (4-0)
    Game 1: 26-6 (Giants)
    Game 2: 20-13 (Redskins)
    Game 3: 24-12 (Eagles)
    Game 4: 38-23 (Bears)

2004: (1-3)
    Game 1: 24-6 (Eagles)
    Game 2: 3-31 (Bengals)
    Game 3: 17-20 (Panthers)
    Game 4: 0-31 (Jaguars)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Question for the long-term fans.

I think that it was 2004 when they looked so bad in the pre-season that there was concern among the media and some of the fans. They were blown out a couple of games and never looked like they were in sync, There always seems to be a couple of concerns about them coming out of pre season. Lately it's been the defense, I think that this year maybe its the o-line.. IMO they are as set for any season that I recall in a long time. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Question for the long-term fans.": [QUOTE]I think that it was 2004 when they looked so bad in the pre-season that there was concern among the media and some of the fans. They were blown out a couple of games and never looked like they were in sync, There always seems to be a couple of concerns about them coming out of pre season. Lately it's been the defense, I think that this year maybe its the o-line.. IMO they are as set for any season that I recall in a long time.  Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE] Weren't we 0-4 in 2007?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: Question for the long-term fans.:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Question for the long-term fans.": Weren't we 0-4 in 2007?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

In 2008 we were 0-4,  we went 2-2 in 2007. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I want that early 2000's D again.....  That's all I know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mel Kiper (commenting on the 2001 Patriots) "They could go 0-16"

I'm a bad one to ask this question because I'm always optimistic.
    Since 2001, no one can predict how the Pats will perform in the regular
    season from pre-season results, though many continue to try.
    The Patriots will be in the mix at the end as always.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Can't judge performance based on pre-season wins and losses. You actually have to watch the games and break down individual and group performances to get an idea. From this pre-season this is what I gathered:

QB - Brady is feeling out what he can and can't do with his new group. The backups Mallett is improving but might need to keep another QB just in case while he continues to develop

OL - Hard to get a feel for this since we have no clue is Waters is coming back, Vollmer hasn't played time yet, and Mankins is just getting his feet wet

RB's - We have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string RB's with no clear #1 RB. They seem to be good one game and the next game not. Looks like they will have to feel out which RB works best for each D and feature them on a game to game situation

TE's - Gronks still not 100% caught up to speed but is getting stronger with every game and Hern looks better then he did last year

DL - Looks pretty strong but still haven't had all starters out there on the field at the same time so hard to judge

LB's - Hightower, Spikes, and Mayo look very strong against the run and even in underneath coverage. Even if the DL lets some runs through they won't make it past this group

CB's - continue down the same path as last year. Sometimes they have great coverage and other times look completely porous. The more help the rush gives them the better they will look

S's - Gregory looked good, lets hope it was just a bruise knee. Chung lets hope he can stay healthy because when he's on the field he's a difference maker. Ebner is showing a ton of promise and should only improve with more reps. Wilson is still learning and has made some plays and missed some. If Chung and Gregory can stay on the field this will be a strong group otherwise there will be some growing pains

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Re: Question for the long-term fans.:
    [QUOTE]Can't judge performance based on pre-season wins and losses. You actually have to watch the games and break down individual and group performances to get an idea. From this pre-season this is what I gathered: QB - Brady is feeling out what he can and can't do with his new group. The backups Mallett is improving but might need to keep another QB just in case while he continues to develop OL - Hard to get a feel for this since we have no clue is Waters is coming back, Vollmer hasn't played time yet, and Mankins is just getting his feet wet RB's - We have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string RB's with no clear #1 RB. They seem to be good one game and the next game not. Looks like they will have to feel out which RB works best for each D and feature them on a game to game situation TE's - Gronks still not 100% caught up to speed but is getting stronger with every game and Hern looks better then he did last year DL - Looks pretty strong but still haven't had all starters out there on the field at the same time so hard to judge LB's - Hoghtower, Spikes, and Mayo look very strong against the run and even in underneath coverage. Even if the DL lets some runs through they won't make it past this group CB's - continue down the same path as last year. Sometimes they have great coverage and other times look completely porous. The more help the rush gives them the better they will look S's - Gregory looked good, lets hope it was just a bruise knee. Chung lets hope he can stay healthy because when he's on the field he's a difference maker. Ebner is showing a ton of promise and should only improve with my reps. Wilson is still learning and has made some plays and missed some. If Chung and Gregory can stay on the field this will be a strong group otherwise there will be some growing pains
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Fair points. my biggest - actually only - concern is the O-line.

Defense should be much better than last year. and if we went to the SB with that D, then an improved D and a comparable O should get make for an exciting season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

2003 was the last season Pats were over .500 in pre-season.  In the undefeated year, they lost first two then ran off 20 straight wins before meeting the buzz saw Giants.  2009 they were 3 - 1.  Overall, do we really need to put that much cred into the pre-season given how many different things BB puts into these games?  I have yet to see a complete unit that would represent a starting line-up on opening day. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

It doesn't make a difference, as far as I can tell.  And most of the issues with the O-line are things you WANT to get exposed in pre-season.  I think the thing that really shines through is that the front 7 are better, back end coverage may still be iffy, and we got some serious talent we are going to have to cut.  Want to get back to the Superbowl, but hate to keep old guys and not some of the young talent.  I think it's time to pull the plug on Vereen, got with Bolden and Demps.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

My gut feel is that when BB has a good team, he does not care about winning pre-season games.

In a back-ward sort of way, losing pre-season games makes me feel better, not worse.

Granted, the play of the OL speaks for itself. But I have faith once we get Vollmer and Mankins and maybe Waters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd bet that BB feels pretty good about this team. I've never felt this good about a Patriots team going into the season. A couple of seasons like 04 and 07 it felt like they would have something special but this year even more so IMO.