questions for camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

questions for camp

things I will be looking at and for in July;

-can White or Finch block at an acceptable level for an NFL RB in pass pro? can Houston catch out of the back field and pass block?

-will DJ Williams be healthy in July, and if he is, will he be the 2nd best TE in camp after Gronk?

-Will Lafell or Thompkins make the roster, I don't see both on the team. Will Gallon clear to the PS? 

-is BCave versatile enough to make this team? Will Stork and Halapio stop making mistakes to actually play? Can Fleming step in as the 3rd T next year after Cannon leaves? How does this team not carry 10 OLmen this year?

-will Vellano out play Jones and Sil to make this team?

-Buchanon certainly looks bigger. At one time he was the more highly rated player over CHJones. Will he make that next step? Is Wil Smith a lock on this team?

-I am still thinking the LB core (yes Rusty, "core") is thin. Team is counting on Collins to take a very big step, and Mayo had a very serious injury. Hightower was really exposed last year. I do like Anderson and feel he is going to play a lot more than most think. IMO that's it however...there are 4 "core" LB's on this team..any other LB on this roster is ST only IMO

-why do I think TWIlson is a better football player than Harmon? he needs to be smarter out there however. I give Chung a very small chance to make this team

-would the team give Cave a chance to long snap over Aiken giving them additional roster versatility? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: questions for camp

Very good questions to ask. I look forward to your report. Some additionally ones:

How does or 2nd round pick look. More on comfort and general mechanics/decision making. He's young and will learn in development but there is a certain look you want to see that suggests he belongs.

Amendola, looks like Brady and BB lost confidence in him towards the end of the year so it would be interesting to see who gets more reps, him or Edelman.

Kick returners, we all know this has been a massive revolving door so I'd be interested in who they are trying out at that position and if White, Houston, or Gallon might make their paycheck there to begin the season.

How all the injury guys look. Do they have issues moving in space, is the explosion there, do they appear hesitant to move in certain directions or ways.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Some outstanding questions on this thread. I'd add...how is Wilfork and Kelly going to perform? How is Easley going to do with that knee injury? Will Vellano and Chris Jones have to play meaningful snaps again this season? Or will one of them make the team and be a third down interior rusher for us? What about Sillga? Will he be the beef inside that we might need if Vince or Kelly can't provide it?

I find the whole defensive line situation the most interesting heading into training camp and beyond. If everything works out the way we hope, great, if not it may be what holds this defense back from being what it needs to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some outstanding questions on this thread. I'd add...how is Wilfork and Kelly going to perform? How is Easley going to do with that knee injury? Will Vellano and Chris Jones have to play meaningful snaps again this season? Or will one of them make the team and be a third down interior rusher for us? What about Sillga? Will he be the beef inside that we might need if Vince or Kelly can't provide it?

I find the whole defensive line situation the most interesting heading into training camp and beyond. If everything works out the way we hope, great, if not it may be what holds this defense back from being what it needs to be.

[/QUOTE]

I have usually struggled trying to watch/figure out the DLmen in camp. It was pointed out to me that usually a Dlmen looks good in drills because an Olmen made a mistake.

I find the OL and QB/WR/TE/DB's the easiest to follow on who looks good or not. I thought most that I posted about regarding those positions last year I was correct on...but what I posted about at other positions I was wrong about. I did come away from camp last year however very, very impressed with Kelley...

I think it also remains to be seen how much they allow Vince and Kelley to do (ditto Armstead and Easley I assume), so that should leave the other DL lots of time to show what they can do. Season after season I have been usually wrong with regards to guys like ALbert, Ellis, Seymour and even Vince when he was younger (thought he was too out of shape to be a great player)...I also thought Lovie was very solid...obviously I was wrong most of the time on most of these guys...

I was one of the very few big supporters of Ghost last year...even early when most were down on him. ON the flip side, I was sold that Mesko should have won the P job..

Even after all these summers, the best player usually in camp is Brady, which he was last year (and I posted that), except for the day I was at split squad with the Bucs...VJackson was the best player on the field that day, including Brady and I believe Revis was on the field that day as well.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have usually struggled trying to watch/figure out the DLmen in camp. It was pointed out to me that usually a Dlmen looks good in drills because an Olmen made a mistake.

I find the OL and QB/WR/TE/DB's the easiest to follow on who looks good or not. I thought most that I posted about regarding those positions last year I was correct on...but what I posted about at other positions I was wrong about. I did come away from camp last year however very, very impressed with Kelley...

I think it also remains to be seen how much they allow Vince and Kelley to do (ditto Armstead and Easley I assume), so that should leave the other DL lots of time to show what they can do. Season after season I have been usually wrong with regards to guys like ALbert, Ellis, Seymour and even Vince when he was younger (thought he was too out of shape to be a great player)...I also thought Lovie was very solid...obviously I was wrong most of the time on most of these guys...

I was one of the very few big supporters of Ghost last year...even early when most were down on him. ON the flip side, I was sold that Mesko should have won the P job..

Even after all these summers, the best player usually in camp is Brady, which he was last year (and I posted that), except for the day I was at split squad with the Bucs...VJackson was the best player on the field that day, including Brady and I believe Revis was on the field that day as well.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the linemen usually aren't doing much when I'm there, they either are going easy with positional coaches or are going half speed against the offensive line. I do remember watching Seymore his rookie year in camp and at the practice I was at he was destroying tackles in pass rush drills. The guy was driving those tackles into the ground...I remember watching him and thinking...this kid is going to be something. He was so big and powerful and at that young age he was pretty explosive too. I haven't seen anything like him at camp since, but then again I'm not there enough.

I agree that the skill position players are easier to watch and get a feel for how they are doing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My question (and I know it's really tough to sort out) is whether or not the current conventional wisdom of a 'repaired ACL is typically stronger than the ACL pre-injury' is in fact the case.  Don't ask me how it's measured in the positive.  In the negative, if the ACL is re-injured that would seem to cast some doubt over the validity of that contention.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My question (and I know it's really tough to sort out) is whether or not the current conventional wisdom of a 'repaired ACL is typically stronger than the ACL pre-injury' is in fact the case.  Don't ask me how it's measured in the positive.  In the negative, if the ACL is re-injured that would seem to cast some doubt over the validity of that contention.

[/QUOTE]

I'd ask an MD that one

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yep, good questions too.  Since it's still pre-season, fans sometimes get too carried away about the return of injured players.  Wilfork was beginning to lose a step.  Yes, it was a good sign he was present during OTAs, but, imo, that doesn't mean much.  We will see how he does in pads and how his achilles holds up when someone 350 lbs is hitting him back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The LBs (core, corps, group, pride, herd, gaggle, whatever) are the same as last year, except Anderson replaces Spikes and Mayo is back, right? Plus assorted rookies and FAs. So, how is that thin?  Only so many can make the team anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The LBs (core, corps, group, pride, herd, gaggle, whatever) are the same as last year, except Anderson replaces Spikes and Mayo is back, right? Plus assorted rookies and FAs. So, how is that thin?  Only so many can make the team anyway.

[/QUOTE]

well, Mayo's injury was pretty severe. Collins has all of 4 games played in the NFL, and everyone wants to put "Pro Bowl" beside his name....please, not yet. IMO, Hightower was really exposed last year as a 2 down LB. Unless he shows additional skills this year like pass rush or mush improved coverage skills, he cannot stay on the field for 3 downs...I like the addition of Anderson, and do feel he will play more than supposed...

If the PAts do wish to play a 3/4 defense, that is 4 LB's listed...who else makes the team? Beauharnis? Hull? Both really are not NFL caliber players unless they can excel on ST...but if keeping 9-10 OL, 3 QB's and 6-7 WR's and 5 CB's...are these 2 worthy of a roster spot? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd ask an MD that one

[/QUOTE]

Not just any MD though. But I was more thinking of the anecdotal - Kelley, Easley.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well, Mayo's injury was pretty severe. Collins has all of 4 games played in the NFL, and everyone wants to put "Pro Bowl" beside his name....please, not yet. IMO, Hightower was really exposed last year as a 2 down LB. Unless he shows additional skills this year like pass rush or mush improved coverage skills, he cannot stay on the field for 3 downs...I like the addition of Anderson, and do feel he will play more than supposed...

If the PAts do wish to play a 3/4 defense, that is 4 LB's listed...who else makes the team? Beauharnis? Hull? Both really are not NFL caliber players unless they can excel on ST...but if keeping 9-10 OL, 3 QB's and 6-7 WR's and 5 CB's...are these 2 worthy of a roster spot? 

[/QUOTE]

There would be a drop off to be sure after the 4 listed.  I know that many don't care for this but training camp cuts often produce serviceable players.  LB and TE come to mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There would be a drop off to be sure after the 4 listed.  I know that many don't care for this but training camp cuts often produce serviceable players.  LB and TE come to mind.

[/QUOTE]

There are about 1200 guys on rosters now who will be free when teams get down to 53.  While it's true that very few of those players will have the ability to step right in and be starters or even key rotational players, many of them can provide decent roster depth and some have the potential to develop with time into quality NFL players. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are about 1200 guys on rosters now who will be free when teams get down to 53.  While it's true that very few of those players will have the ability to step right in and be starters or even key rotational players, many of them can provide decent roster depth and some have the potential to develop with time into quality NFL players. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but I have to assume anyone released by another team is PS fodder on this pats roster. Already lots of depth other than TE and LB...might we see lots of Browner and TWilson in a big nickel with Hightower coming off the field. Eliminates the need for another LB?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

-is BCave versatile enough to make this team? Will Stork and Halapio stop making mistakes to actually play? Can Fleming step in as the 3rd T next year after Cannon leaves? How does this team not carry 10 OLmen this year?-is BCave versatile enough to make this team? Will Stork and Halapio stop making mistakes to actually play? Can Fleming step in as the 3rd T next year after Cannon leaves? How does this team not carry 10 OLmen this year?

Why do you assume Cannon will leave? Reiss has said numerous times that the patriots like what he brings and he thinks they will resign him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It depends on what type of ACL surgery has been done.  Most commonly patellar tendon is used which is as strong or stronger than the original ACL tendon. So there is potential for the knee to be just as strong. After any type of surgery you are never 100%, my ACL really took three years for me to feel really good on it.  I think part of it was the Army seem to only give me the minimum time to heal before I was back to duty.  Here is a good article. 

ACL Surgery Graft Options
    Options in Choosing Where to Obtain an ACL Graft
    By Jonathan Cluett, M.D.
    Updated May 29, 2014
    Ads: Orthopedics Knee Specialist Knee Ligament Arthroscopic Knee Surgery Knee Repair
    acl graft choice
    ACL reconstruction surgery requires the selection of a graft.
    Photo © www.iStockPhoto.com
    Ads
    Laser Spine Surgery
    northamericanspine.com/LaserSurgery
    New 30-Min Laser Spine Surgery. Get Pain Relief w/ Fast Recovery.
    Looking for Knee Braces?
    www.acebrandsports.com/Knee-Braces
    Braces. Supports. Elastic Bandages. Save $2 Today. Find Where To Buy.
    If you're 50+ read this
    www.instaflex.com
    Find out a trick that the medical community won’t tell you
    Top Related Searches
    Patellar Tendon Graft
    Anterior Cruciate Ligament
    Graft Choices
    Tendon Rupture
    Acl Repair
    Donor Tissue
    Ads
    Using Ice For Your Knee.
    kingbrand.com/Knee-Ice
    Information, Options & Facts. Treat Knee Pain and Swelling.
    Best Barn Door Hardware
    rusticahardware.com/BarnDoorHardwar
    Modern, Rustic, Old World Rollers Free S&H, Fast Shipping, Low Price
    ACL reconstruction is a surgical procedure to make a new ligament for someone who has sustained an ACL tear. Once an individual has decided to have surgery, they will need to decide how the surgery will be performed. The most common question patients face is: which type of ACL graft should they choose?

The ACL graft is the type of tissue used to make a new ligament. ACL reconstruction can be done with several different graft choices. These most common options include patellar tendon, hamstring tendon, and donor tissue (allograft). Each of these choices has advantages and disadvantages.

Repair vs. Reconstruction

ACL surgery is commonly, bot not correctly, referred to as an ACL repair. A repair implies that you can fix something that is broken. If an ACL is completely torn, the ends of the torn ligament will not heal back together, even if the torn ends were sewn together.

What does work well, is to remove the torn ends of the ACL and replace the ligament with a different structure--called an ACL graft. A graft is tissue that is moved from one location to another. When the source of the graft is from the individual having surgery, it is called an autograft. When the source is from a donor (cadaver), it is called an allograft.

To secure the grafted ligament into the position of the normal ACL, tunnels are made in the shin bone (tibia) and thigh bone (femur), and the graft is passed through these tunnels to reconstruct the ligament.

Patellar Tendon Graft

The patellar tendon is the structure on the front of your knee that connects the kneecap (patella) to the shin bone (tibia). The patellar tendon averages between 25 to 30 mm in width. When a patellar tendon graft is selected, the central 1/3 of the patellar tendon is removed (about 9 or 10 mm) along with a block of bone at the sites of attachment on the kneecap and tibia.

Advantages: Many surgeons prefer the patellar tendon graft because it closely resembles the torn ACL. The length of the patellar tendon is about the same as the ACL, and the bone ends of the graft can be placed in to the bone where the ACL attaches. This allows for "bone to bone" healing, something many surgeons consider to be stronger than any other healing method.
    Disadvantages: When the patellar tendon graft is taken, a segment of bone is removed from the kneecap, and about 1/3 of the tendon is removed. There is a risk of patellar fracture or patellar tendon tear following this surgery. Also, the most common problem following this surgery is pain on the front of the knee (anterior knee pain). In fact, patients sometimes say they have pain when kneeling, even years after the surgery.
    Hamstring Tendon

The hamstring muscles are the group of muscles on the back of your thigh. When the hamstring tendons are used in ACL surgery, two of the tendons of these muscles are removed, and "bundled" together to create a new ACL. Over the years, methods of fixing these grafts into place have improved.

Advantages: The most common problem following ACL surgery using the patellar tendon is pain over the front of the knee. Some of this pain is known to be due to the graft and bone that is removed. This is not a problem when using the hamstring tendon. The incision to obtain the graft is smaller, and the pain both in the immediate post-operative period, and down the road, is thought to be less.
    Disadvantages: The primary problem with these grafts is the fixation of the graft in the bone tunnels. When the patellar tendon is used, the bone ends heal to the bone tunnels ("bone to bone" healing). With the hamstring grafts, a longer period of time is necessary for the graft to become rigid. Therefore, people with hamstring grafts are often protected for a longer period of time while the graft heals into place.
    Allograft (Donor Tissue)

Allograft is most commonly used recreational athletes (as opposed to competitive athletes), or patients who are undergoing revision ACL surgery (when an ACL reconstruction fails). Studies have clearly shown that allograft (donor tissue from a cadaver) is not as strong as a patient's own tissue (autograft). For many patients, however, the strength of the reconstructed ACL using an allograft is sufficient for their demands. Therefore this may be an excellent option for patients not planning to participate in high-demand sports (e.g. soccer, basketball, etc.).

Advantages: Performing ACL surgery using allograft allows for decreased operative time, no need to remove other tissue to use for the graft, smaller incisions, and less post-operative pain. Furthermore, if the graft were to fail, revision surgery could be performed using either the patellar tendon or hamstring grafts.
    Disadvantages: Historically, these grafts were of poor quality and carried a significant risk of disease transmission. More recently, techniques of allograft preparation have improved dramatically, and these concerns are less of an issue. However, the process of graft preparation (freeze-drying), kills the living cells, and decreases the strength of the tissue. There is also the concern of disease transmission. While sterilization and graft preparation minimizes this risk, it does not eliminate it entirely.
    How to Choose

Many surgeons have a preferred type of graft for different reasons. The strength of patellar tendon and hamstring grafts are essentially equal. There is no right answer as to which is best, at least not one that has been proven in scientific studies.

The strength of allograft tissue is less than the other grafts, but the strength of both the patellar tendon and hamstring tendon grafts exceed the strength of a normal ACL. The bottom line is 85% to 95% of patients will have clinically stable knees following ACL reconstructive surgery.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:
    [QUOTE]

-is BCave versatile enough to make this team? Will Stork and Halapio stop making mistakes to actually play? Can Fleming step in as the 3rd T next year after Cannon leaves? How does this team not carry 10 OLmen this year?-is BCave versatile enough to make this team? Will Stork and Halapio stop making mistakes to actually play? Can Fleming step in as the 3rd T next year after Cannon leaves? How does this team not carry 10 OLmen this year?

Why do you assume Cannon will leave? Reiss has said numerous times that the patriots like what he brings and he thinks they will resign him.

[/QUOTE]

He is a free agent that on the open market will be paid. pats having Solder, Vollmer, Mankins and 3 draft choices on the roster simply won't pay him big $$$.

They do love him, but they also loved Thomas and he signed with the Colts

BTW, Reiss feels Cannon will not be signed as well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Salary cap allotment by position

Offensive line: 19.79 percent 

Cornerback: 12.2 percent
    Quarterback: 11.8 percent
    Receiver: 10.9 percent
    Linebacker: 10.7 percent
    Defensive tackle: 9.16 percent
    Safety: 6.8 percent
    Tight end: 5.9 percent
    Defensive end: 5.64 percent
    Running back: 3.5 percent
    Specialists: 2.74 percent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Salary cap allotment by position

Offensive line: 19.79 percent 

Cornerback: 12.2 percent
    Quarterback: 11.8 percent
    Receiver: 10.9 percent
    Linebacker: 10.7 percent
    Defensive tackle: 9.16 percent
    Safety: 6.8 percent
    Tight end: 5.9 percent
    Defensive end: 5.64 percent
    Running back: 3.5 percent
    Specialists: 2.74 percent

[/QUOTE]

Karp, I'd add this from the Reiss article:

My biggest takeaway: Potential game-changing investments at cornerback this offseason with Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner, while the Patriots are among the lowest percentages league-wide at running back.

It's not surprising that the biggest investment is in O line because there are the most players in that position (5 starters, and usually 8 or 9 guys on the 53 man roster).  What's more interesting is how the Pats investment compares to league averages.  That tells where the Pats are truly investing more heavily than other teams and where they are investing less.  Reiss doesn't give us all the data, but he does mention that we are light in our investment at running back. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

csylvia79, I won't copy your post here in the interests of ease of reading but I will say thanks, that was helpful.  Essentially a wait and see scenario with cautious optimism.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

I'm looking to see if Garoppolo will have progressed enough that Mallet will be expendable, which would open up a roster spot for other area's. If so will we get anything I.e. late round draft choice for Mallet or will he just be Gone at the final cut of preseason.