Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace...

... for 11.5 sacks. Excellent pickup.

I can't wait to see this defense when it's corners get healthy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace...

In Response to Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace...:
    [QUOTE]... for 11.5 sacks. Excellent pickup. I can't wait to see this defense when it's corners get healthy. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yes.  And on the O-Line Waters is a steal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

hopefully we get to see them early on in the game during the crucial 3rd and Longs....instead of garbage time when we are up by two scores.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace...:
    [QUOTE]hopefully we get to see them early on in the game during the crucial 3rd and Longs....instead of garbage time when we are up by two scores.
    Posted by ponyoto[/QUOTE]

He had 1.5 today. The other one ended a drive ... on 3rd down. 

Anderson is tough, because he isn't a great run defender, so he misses reps on obvious running downs. 

The reason he gets sacks late is because he is actually in there on obivous passing downs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : Yes.  And on the O-Line Waters is a steal.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Anderson statement and Waters doesn't get the props he should, this was a great pickup for the O-line.  Comes in like a vet and plays like he has been with the Patriots o-line for years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Anderson is a beast the guy has a great motor and he is fast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : Yes.  And on the O-Line Waters is a steal.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

was thinking the same thing today. where would we be without him. great pickup! not missing a beat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace...:
    [QUOTE]... for 11.5 sacks. Excellent pickup. I can't wait to see this defense when it's corners get healthy. 

agree on both z.
    defense picking it up a little today. however early iin the game it was more the jets defeating themselves than the defense being great. later in the game seemed we got better. carter looking good too. several players stepped up i thought on defense. linebackers still weak in coverage it seems

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Anderson is a beast the guy has a great motor and he is fast.
    Posted by RandyMossinThem[/QUOTE]

yes, hes getting that corner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : agree on both z. defense picking it up a little today. however early iin the game it was more the jets defeating themselves than the defense being great. later in the game seemed we got better. carter looking good too. several players stepped up i thought on defense. linebackers still weak in coverage it seems
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Mr doom and gloom just can't be happy. How's that Replace BJGE with Ridley as feature back idea working out for you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : I agree with the Anderson statement and Waters doesn't get the props he should, this was a great pickup for the O-line.  Comes in like a vet and plays like he has been with the Patriots o-line for years.
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

Waters is the single best pickup the Pats made this offseason ... so far. That includes the draft picks too!

I can't believe the Chiefs thought he was gassed. They have basically lost 40 yards rushing per game by losing Waters. NE has gained a bookend Guard to go with Mankins ... I don't know that there is a better run-blocking tandem than them in the NFL, and it shows. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

I'm glad we have both BJGE and Ridley.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : was thinking the same thing today. where would we be without him. great pickup! not missing a beat.

He obviously has his limitations (i.e., he is best when you have a lead) but he is the best pure rusher NE has had in a while. He is also a lot better when AH is in the game. 

When Bodden/Ras-I get back out there and healthy ... hopefully BB's 43 Dream can be a reality. 

The early returns are that NE is ... paradoxically. .. actually rushing the passer better this season than last ... though much of that has been offset by CB injuries and poor safety play. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I'm glad we have both BJGE and Ridley.
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]

And Woody ... and I really hope to see what Vereen has soon!

I'm so glad BB ditched his geriatric RB obsession from the last few seasons and just got some kids with fresh legs in there. 

Faulk, btw, is exempt from that slight. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : He obviously has his limitations (i.e., he is best when you have a lead) but he is the best pure rusher NE has had in a while. He is also a lot better when AH is in the game.  When Bodden/Ras-I get back out there and healthy ... hopefully BB's 43 Dream can be a reality.  The early returns are that NE is ... paradoxically. .. actually rushing the passer better this season than last ... though much of that has been offset by CB injuries and poor safety play. 

"The early returns are that NE is ... paradoxically. .. actually rushing the passer better this season than last ... though much of that has been offset by CB injuries and poor safety play. "

the statement of the day today.
    today made a difference.
    good thread z

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Anderson is becoming their Mariano Rivera.

Up late, other team in desperation mode, bring in the closer, #95.

I really think the problem with the defense right now, the more I see of them week to week, is the coverage. They don't generate a lot of heat but a lot of the time they just rush 3 or 4 and drop 7 or 8. Only elite-level Front Fours generate heat out of those alignments. But in the first five games this season there have been plenty of times where the front line has made the other team's QB "uncomfortable" in the pocket but the QB still manages to get the pass off and the DBs either blow the coverage or they have the coverage but fudge-up the play on the ball (that's happened A LOT already this year, including on the 3rd down pass to Plaxico that was overturned on the challenge).

I never thought I'd say this back in August, but that Dowling injury has hurt them. He's a rookie but he was "on the ball," as the saying goes, in the limited time he was out there before he was injured.  If he comes back soon I think the secondary will be better.

But I have zero complaints about today. The Jets had two long drives, yes, but other than his TD catch Holmes--who KILLED them last season--was not a factor, and Burress didn't do much either. And while the Jets scored 21 pts, 7 of them are on the special teams for allowing that 88-yard KO return.

Oh, and run the ball!!!! Two weeks in a row they ran it more, and two weeks in a row they closed out the game emphatically.

The shotgun/spread should be ONE of their offensive formations, not their primary one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought Anderson was having an outstanding pre season and really showed that it never is an accident when you get 11 sacks in a season. He kind of fell off towards the end of camp and I was thinking they might cut him, but he's proof that pass rushers don't grow on trees and you have to hang on to them when you get your hands on one. He's got the length and quickness that we've been lacking at that spot for years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : Waters is the single best pickup the Pats made this offseason ... so far. That includes the draft picks too! I can't believe the Chiefs thought he was gassed. They have basically lost 40 yards rushing per game by losing Waters. NE has gained a bookend Guard to go with Mankins ... I don't know that there is a better run-blocking tandem than them in the NFL, and it shows. 
    And Sebastian Vollmer is a beast back up right now. Our OL is elite and if we continue to mix in 45 to 55 percent run we will be hard to beat!
    TOP today was 34 to 26, me like!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : "The early returns are that NE is ... paradoxically. .. actually rushing the passer better this season than last ... though much of that has been offset by CB injuries and poor safety play. " the statement of the day today. today made a difference. good thread z

Thanks. They made Sanchez uncomfortable. That was visible in the first half, and for most of the second half ... though they did give up that long TD drive. 

It was the best "21" they have given up in a while.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : Thanks. They made Sanchez uncomfortable. That was visible in the first half, and for most of the second half ... though they did give up that long TD drive.  It was the best "21" they have given up in a while.

meant to ask you, did you see the lsu game. what do you think of mathieu?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : He had 1.5 today. The other one ended a drive ... on 3rd down.  Anderson is tough, because he isn't a great run defender, so he misses reps on obvious running downs.  The reason he gets sacks late is because he is actually in there on obivous passing downs. 

Zbellino, I think the reason Anderson gets sacks late is because he is fresher than than the offense in the 4th quarter. Because he is mostly a situational player, his wheels are spinning faster because he isnt' tired late in games.

I think BB uses this philisophy with several players in several positions. Lets face it, a Demarcus Ware or Dwight Freeney is a very rare commodity in this league. If we can't have one of those, we might as well use a couple second tier players sporadically throughout the game to keep them from being tired late in the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

I remember being impressed with him during the pre-season and I agree right now he's the best pure pass rusher we have. Waters and Anderson have really helped this team. I'm hoping we stay healthy this week against Dallas. This team has another level it can reach if we ever get healthy. If Ocho really catches on , our offense could become even better. If he does , this team will have 5 dangerous targets on the field at all times. Teams already have a tough time game planning as is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

Wow, didn't even notice that...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Quietly... Mark Anderson is on pace... : meant to ask you, did you see the lsu game. what do you think of mathieu?

Yeah. I watch all of them!

What do I think of him? Well, it's absolutely shocking how well this team scouts DBs. I mean, Patrick Peterson leaves, and everyone is worried, and then Mathieu. 

He is a nasty zone corner for a young guy. And a playmaker, maybe even more than Peterson. Not sure if he is a lockdown corner the same way Peterson is ... and he isn't quite as physical so far. 

Michael Brockers is the guy everyone in NE should be watching develop. 6'6" 306 and a freak athlete with a 4.9 40yd. He's a sophomore. I hope he stays on all the way through his senior year, because he is a dominant interior player. But I wouldn't mind if he left early for NE. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

hey hardright,

Anderson is becoming their Mariano Rivera.

Up late, other team in desperation mode, bring in the closer, #95.

I really think the problem with the defense right now, the more I see of them week to week, is the coverage. They don't generate a lot of heat but a lot of the time they just rush 3 or 4 and drop 7 or 8.

even  if our coverage was not good, you have to get a past rush. it doesnt happen most of the time with 4. it never happens with 3 rushing. meaning any decent qb can sit an wait till someone gets open.
       there was some improvement today, but the jets bailed us out a lot, especially early in the game. a good offense could kill unless bb does like he did some late in the game and bring some pass rush.

Only elite-level Front Fours generate heat out of those alignments. But in the first five games this season there have been plenty of times where the front line has made the other team's QB "uncomfortable" in the pocket but the QB still manages to get the pass off and the DBs either blow the coverage or they have the coverage but fudge-up the play on the ball (that's happened A LOT already this year, including on the 3rd down pass to Plaxico that was overturned on the challenge).

we've been weak at the front, middle (lbs) and back of the defense, even when our starters in the d backfield were on the filed, except for the most part guys against dowling (he has either defended the pass or/and the qb stays away from him). of course our dbs arent doing much now with everyone hurt. arrington is not really a cb to me (he can only tackle, he doesnt defend pases really).

while the guys up front have not been great (till today), they didnt look bad out there today. definitely room for improvement, especially in scheming more heat on the qb, if we want a defense good enough to win in the playoffs

I never thought I'd say this back in August, but that Dowling injury has hurt them. He's a rookie but he was "on the ball," as the saying goes, in the limited time he was out there before he was injured.  If he comes back soon I think the secondary will be better.

agreed, called dowling predraft. preseason confirmed for me he was gonna be good.

But I have zero complaints about today. The Jets had two long drives, yes, but other than his TD catch Holmes--who KILLED them last season--was not a factor, and Burress didn't do much either. And while the Jets scored 21 pts, 7 of them are on the special teams for allowing that 88-yard KO return.

i'm not as high on the performance. an improvement, but not good enough to beat a good team performing well at this point (imo)

Oh, and run the ball!!!! Two weeks in a row they ran it more, and two weeks in a row they closed out the game emphatically.

thankfully, a guess a good many of us now are (and several of us have long been) on that call for more running mixed in and more use of the run ahead late in the game.

thanks for the post.

Sections
Shortcuts