Quote by Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Quote by Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter

"It's not a coincidence that the Patriots are Super Bowl-less since shifting the offensive emphasis to the passing game".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Quote by Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter

I disagree.
    Since 2005, 4 of the past 5 super bowls have featured prolific passing teams. They didn't always win, but it got them there.

Still, I'd like to see a more balanced attack this year and I'd bet Belichick does too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Quote by Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter:
    Still, I'd like to see a more balanced attack this year and I'd bet Belichick does too.
    Posted by digger0862

need a better running game. the current corps of RBs won't get it done. some are too old and nabged up, and the young ones want to dance or fumble

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

kansas, you don't like Maroney? lol
    I'm in the miniscule minority who still hopes to see the flashes of greatness from his rookie season. He's running out of time or maybe he has already. I liked the Fred Taylor signing last year but you're right he's too old and nabged up this year. lol

It's gonna be fun watching the Patriots put together the team for 2010.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I think part of what he means is teams like NE are too predictable when we cant consistently run.  When the D knows we are always passing, particularly in the red zone, we settle for 3 too much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"It's not a coincidence that the Patriots are Super Bowl-less since shifting the offensive emphasis to the passing game".

To ALL:

IMO, He's close on that quote, but sorry...the writer gets NO La Flor Dominicana Cigar (in a Ct shade torpedo wrap).  I Posted a similiar post on this sentiment awhile back:

~See, IMO-The beautiful thing NE had during their Superbowl Winning Runs, was ZERO weaknesses.  The Patrios also didn't have any overemphasized strength aspects of their game either...YET, the no shortcomings trumped this.  I'll explain... 

NE showed On Offense: Ball-control mistake-free offense explicitly in high-percentage short passes coupled with biggerbacks (A Smith/C Dillon) whom didn't get tackled on the first hit-gaining just enough yards to keep the run D honest AND just enough intermediate mid-range passes to keep the oppossing defenders from bringing extra men inside the box. 

NE showed On Defense: Stingy, very-versatile and ever-changing looks to their Defense.  Hard hitting and often attacking, yet still VERY intelligent defenders who counted on each other to each do their job, and thus didn't Overgamble by having too many aggressive defenders opening up The D for a potential big gain/mistake (same holds true for them NOT having too many guys playing soft).  All the while, making the absolute most of every single potential turover by the offensive team.

NE showed On Special Teams: Simply superb clutch fieldgoal, and deep Kickoff Kickers coupled with skilled Punters who never really had booming legs, but could pin the ball very accurately without many underkicks or touchback punts.  And overall, Players who didn't played Special Teams as if it were an afterthought or merely secondary.

THIS MEANT OVERALL:

~That The New England Patriot Team could limit their own mistakes.  This meant that The Patriots need NOT worry about another team game-planning against their own best or worst assets and traits, because they had none.  And THAT meant that The Patriots were malleable and could be ever-changing in order to game-plan Both on Offense and Defense, against the other team's trademark players and overall best and also-worst schematics.  In otherwords, The New England Patriots, by playing with NO great strengths of players/types of play systems but with no great weak links on their team/in their system/with their players, COULD and would be versatile enough to game-plan for the other team-Both on Offense and especially with N.E.'s Defense.  
         In the end therefore, NE's Offense would try to find and exploit a weak chink in the oppossing D's armour just enough, But ALL the while be more concerned with eating up the clock, passing high-percentage passes, not turning the ball over, and simply keeping drives alive (whether it be a touchdown, field goal, or playing a game of territory ball possession against the other club).  They would then on Defense, be versatile enough once more, to game-change their systematic players and more than anything-defensive looks, In Order to have that adaptability to take away the best trait/player/plays of any and usually all opposing offenses they faced on defense.  The Opposing team, being far more 1-dimensional, would become frustrated, or change their favorite style of play/player, to a less fitting/less comfortable style or player, AND they would try to force things, AND they would make mistakes (same with NE's offense of keeping drives just enough alive, getting just a bit ahead, staying very close behind-and always in games vs opponent's defense), AND THEN- NE would always do their best to capitalize on these mistakes and errors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

NE showed On Special Teams: Simply superb clutch fieldgoal, and deep Kickoff Kickers coupled with skilled Punters who never really had booming legs, but could pin the ball very accurately without many underkicks or touchback punts.  And overall, Players who didn't played Special Teams as if it were an afterthought or merely secondary.

Deep kick off kickers? Vinatieri? By deep you mean sometimes reaching the ten? Loved having him on the team (until he became just another money grubber), but deep kick off kicker, no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Not sure what this guy is talking about.

You could make a case for the 2005 Steelers being a running team. They piled up 158 yards rushing in that whistlefest with Seattle in Super Bowl 40, as opposed to 181 passing. Since then, the Colts beat Chicago, throwing for 239 yards (they did gain 191 yards on the ground in that game -- but you're not going to convince me the Colts are a running team); Blue New Jersey beat the Pats, ammassing 91 rushing yards while throwing for 255. Bitchburgh snuck past Arizona with 234 passing yards an 58 rushing; and N'awlins trumped the Colts with 281 passing yards and a whopping 51 on the ground.

Some of you know I'm not much of a stats guy, but this statement struck me as particularly ludicrous, so I thought I would look up some numbers. What I discoverd is that all those years jamming for the Philadelphia Warriors seems to have scrambled Trotter's brain to some degree . . .

and if you get that reference, not only are you old, but you probably watch too much TV.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Even though emphasis has been placed on the passing game by the NFL with these horrid pass interference rules, the tenets of playoff football still apply...  play defense and run the ball. 

The Giants won with a power running game so it wasn't so long ago that a running team won it all, it is more efficient and likely probable that a dominating running game will almost always beat a good passing team. 

Passing has too many variables, stuff that can go wrong.  Running is imposing your will on the opposing team and beating them down.  You can win regular season games with both, but for my money a power running philosophy is better.  So what the man said is true and carries weight...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

A bit of revisionist history here.  The 2003 Patriots were one of the worst running teams in the NFL, and one of the worst running teams to ever win the Super Bowl.

Rushing           rank         yards      YPA          rushing TD's
    2009 Pats         12             1921       4.1                19

2004 Pats          7            2134       4.1             15

2003 Pats         27              1607       3.4                9

2001 Pats         13           1793       3.8             15

The only time they had a better rushing game was the Dillon years (2004 +). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

shenanigan thanks for posting those numbers. I too think its a waste of time amping up the ground game. Any RB is going to find it difficult to run behind that line. Its a pass blocking line that's got a little old and they certainly aren't going to impose their will on other teams. Every pick wasted on running-related offense is a player taken away from the O line, receivers, LBs and secondary.

At this point I bet they go after TO and send notice to the league that NE wants to throw the ball deep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

imo...he is totally right...the offense is predictable and its made the defense play too much, limiting their effectiveness...

if i were belicheat, id be getting the best run blocking offensive linemen i could find and a decent running back(even maroney) and pound the rock and use play action

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Quote by Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter:
    Posted by RonF

This guy is a moron. Anybody can make statements based on hindsight & make it fit their argument.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A bit of revisionist history here.  The 2003 Patriots were one of the worst running teams in the NFL, and one of the worst running teams to ever win the Super Bowl. Posted by shenanigan

The point wasn't that they were great at running the ball in the regular season but that they ran the ball.  That season Kevin Faulk got nearly as many carries as our 1-A back Antoine Smith.  Behind Smith on the depth chart was nobody!

We gave Smith limited carries in the regular season to keep him healthy, everybody here was screaming because Smith wasn't doing more, but when the playoffs rolled around he absolutely crushed people.  Need stats to back that up:

96 rushing yards
    112 rushing yards
    127 rushing yards

Those were our playoff rushing totals, we ran all over teams and primarily it was Smith.  Even if running isn't overly successful, you still do it to create manageable third down oppourtunities.  Third and one is a lot easier than third and long. 

Also if you've ever tried throwing and catching a ball in zero degree temperatures than you'd know why being able to run the ball in December is important.  To say we weren't a running team back when we won championships would be outright false.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

with Smith, Dillion and First down Faulk the Pats just milked the clock down, remember they use to salt the game away with a 5-7 min drive in the fourth quarter to win by just a ffew points...that is the difference i see in the "new Patriots" vs the Champion Patriots

Sections
Shortcuts