Random observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Random observations

As a long time Pats fan (since the days of Babe Parilli and Mike Holovak) I've tried to keep the team's ups and downs in perspective.  Although I'm as passionate as anyone while I'm watching the game I try not to 'rush to judgement' in assessing the team's performance.  That said, I would offer the following:
    *While the bend-don't-break approach has its advantages (held Pitt to 2 field goals in 2nd half) it also places both the offense and defense in a tough place.  Yes, the offense must do better than to start each half with a 3-and-out but it also had extended periods where it was not even on the field because Pitt had the ball.  When it did get on the field the offense's options were limited by time limitations.  With respect to the defense, they did stand up on occasion but all too often couldn't get off the field when they needed to. 
    *The pass rush appears to be much too inconsistent to be a real factor.  There were occasions when Roethlisberger had much too much time to throw.  Expecting the D-backs to cover that long is unreasonable.  How many 3rd and longs did Pitt convert?  Regardless the number, there were too many.
    *I haven't a clue what the BB defensive scheme is with respect to his defensive secondary.  Perhaps it's a function of personnel but that zone appeared much too loose to be consistently effective.
    *Worst tackling performance I've seen in a Pats team in quite some time.  Perhaps the bye week had something to do with it, however, this seems to have been an issue in earlier games this year.
    *Not sure what the game plan is with Ochocinco but I'd like to see something out of him and soon.  I don't profess to know better than the professionals but I am beginning to really question this acquisition and its cost.
    *The percentages on on-side kicks is something like 1 in 10 are successful.  That BB attempted that with that much time left speaks volumes about his confidence in his own D.
    *Why the pass to Gronk on the goal line was not challenged is beyond me.  Based on replay it would have been a succcessful challenge and would have saved over a minute in clock time.

On the positive side:
    *Even though time of possession and overall quality of play heavily favored the Steelers, the Pats had the ball in the 4th qtr with + or - 3 mins to go with a chance to win.
    *Brady didn't have a particularly good day but, despite a swarming and highly effective Steelers D, threw no picks.
    *Good to see Price on the field.  No, he didn't have any catches (only thrown to once I believe) but I'm optimistic about his future contribution particularly as a medium-deep or deep threat.

Overall, I think a great deal of credit goes to the Steelers game plan and execution.  In my estimation, they outplayed the Pats in every phase of the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Re: Random observations

Over the years, I've learned not to jump to conclusions either way. 

In a blowout win, we're not as good as me may have looked on that day. 

In a loss like yesterday, we're probably not as bad as we looked either. 

Reality is, we're likely somewhere in the middle:  B level talent but with an A level coach and QB.

What's most frustrating about this team is the defense has been average to below average for several years now.  The offense and special teams are always up to par but how can a defensive mastermind like BB who is making the executive personnel decisions allow the defense to be so average! 

How do you just let guys like James Sanders and Bodden walk without any solution behind them!  The cupboards are bare in defensive backfield and it's going to turn out to be a long season - especially when we play teams with a strong offensive system.  

Today blows! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

2 things.

The offense cannot continue to go 3 and out.

The defense does have to take blame for contuining to give up 3rd and longs, when most D.Coordinators would love to have 3rd and 15, we gave up 1st downs to the Steelers like they were 3rd and shorts.

The only reason we held Pittsburgh to field goals is because there wasnt enough room anymore to go deep and for guys to get open...but I wouldnt say we huckered down or anything...just less space to throw that helped us...

Bottom line is, We s uck!  The End.....by Bill Belicheck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

The Pats could not move the chain. Third down ratio is low.  The defensive units stayed on the field too long.  The running game was off.  This loss should blame more on coaching than the players.

In Response to Random observations:
    [QUOTE]As a long time Pats fan (since the days of Babe Parilli and Mike Holovak) I've tried to keep the team's ups and downs in perspective.  Although I'm as passionate as anyone while I'm watching the game I try not to 'rush to judgement' in assessing the team's performance.  That said, I would offer the following: *While the bend-don't-break approach has its advantages (held Pitt to 2 field goals in 2nd half) it also places both the offense and defense in a tough place.  Yes, the offense must do better than to start each half with a 3-and-out but it also had extended periods where it was not even on the field because Pitt had the ball.  When it did get on the field the offense's options were limited by time limitations.  With respect to the defense, they did stand up on occasion but all too often couldn't get off the field when they needed to.  *The pass rush appears to be much too inconsistent to be a real factor.  There were occasions when Roethlisberger had much too much time to throw.  Expecting the D-backs to cover that long is unreasonable.  How many 3rd and longs did Pitt convert?  Regardless the number, there were too many. *I haven't a clue what the BB defensive scheme is with respect to his defensive secondary.  Perhaps it's a function of personnel but that zone appeared much too loose to be consistently effective. *Worst tackling performance I've seen in a Pats team in quite some time.  Perhaps the bye week had something to do with it, however, this seems to have been an issue in earlier games this year. *Not sure what the game plan is with Ochocinco but I'd like to see something out of him and soon.  I don't profess to know better than the professionals but I am beginning to really question this acquisition and its cost. *The percentages on on-side kicks is something like 1 in 10 are successful.  That BB attempted that with that much time left speaks volumes about his confidence in his own D. *Why the pass to Gronk on the goal line was not challenged is beyond me.  Based on replay it would have been a succcessful challenge and would have saved over a minute in clock time. On the positive side: *Even though time of possession and overall quality of play heavily favored the Steelers, the Pats had the ball in the 4th qtr with + or - 3 mins to go with a chance to win. *Brady didn't have a particularly good day but, despite a swarming and highly effective Steelers D, threw no picks. *Good to see Price on the field.  No, he didn't have any catches (only thrown to once I believe) but I'm optimistic about his future contribution particularly as a medium-deep or deep threat. Overall, I think a great deal of credit goes to the Steelers game plan and execution.  In my estimation, they outplayed the Pats in every phase of the game.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

With Ghost, you always have to line him on the left hash. It will go right no doubt.

A simple run to the left solves this.  I picked up on this after seeing him kick for 2 years..

Whats so hard.

Left HASH MARK!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Random observations:
    [QUOTE] To me, the only chance of stopping good QB's is to go after them lilke we did on the 2 last plays of defense yesterday when we were rushing like 8 guys or something to that affect. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that.  We blitzed more than usual yesterday and on most cases it didn't really work.  The last two plays they were trying to run out the clock so I imagine Ben was more willing to take a sack if a pass play wasn't obviously there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Random observations:
    [QUOTE]The only reason we held Pittsburgh to field goals is because there wasnt enough room anymore to go deep and for guys to get open...but I wouldnt say we huckered down or anything...just less space to throw that helped us...
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Ummm . . .  that's exactly the point. Insofar as this defense works at all (which is debatable), this is the advantage it exploits. It's designed to make you take stuff underneath and work your way down the field -- which is odd, considering your opponent (if he's smart) wants to control time-of-possession -- and then stand you up when you run out of space.

Of course, this is only helpful if your offense is countering your opponent's field goals with touchdowns of its own, instead of the ol' 1-2-3 punt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ,
    It seems every time the Pats sputter, and do so badly, it becomes the fault of TBrady, OB and the offense. What we saw yesterday was almost a complete meltdown. The way this team is constructed now, they won't get very far. I don't care if their record indicates 5-2, when they have to play a good defense, or teams with a better than average QB, they fold like a cheap suit.

Lots of blame to cast around.Again, like everything else, I put this on BB's shoulders. The Pats seemed ill prepared..almost tough to imagine coming out of a bye week, with a BB coached team. In the end however, I think it simply comes down to talent. We just don't have the quality of talent to beat top tier teams like Pitt, GB, etc. I don't think our secondary is in any shape to take on a premier QB with good WRs. We saw it yesterday, I don't see this getting any better with Bodden gone and Ras IR'd. To me, the only chance of stopping good QB's is to go after them lilke we did on the 2 last plays of defense yesterday when we were rushing like 8 guys or something to that affect. Otherwise, it's death by a thousand razor cuts.

The sky is not falling. I'm not a pinkhat, troll or anytign else. It's the realization that this team although good, is just not good enough at this piont to beat top tier teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

we will all know why the Pats lost if Palomalo doesn't get fined for trying to twist Welkers head off... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

and there other safety was going helmet to helmet all game, and doing it in his typical punk fashion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

It's the receivers, teams don't care about the Pats pass catchers.  Did anyone see Brady under throw Price when his man was beat by 5 yards.  I know there is an over reaction when a team lose but, are you scare of Branch, Ocho, and Welker(He can be handled).  Help Wanted. Go Pats