Randy Moss: My heart is in New England

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Randy Moss: My heart is in New England

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/16/randy-moss-my-heart-is-in-new-england/

It's a low risk, high reward move. You'll likely get a motivated guy back. He won't be as explosive as when you had him in 2007 but he'll still demand a double team, which opens up the offense. I think it's easier to now sell him on being a decoy. I think he'd rather be a decoy in New England, win, and retire on good graces, than be elsewhere and not put up mega numbers ANYWAY because of age and double teams.

With the lockout likely going into the summer, it doesn't hurt to have a savvy veteran receiver, a HOF I might add, on your roster. I don't mind giving Tate, Price, and Edelman a shot but a huge part of their development process was going to be offseason workouts, camp, etc but without those official events, it'd be nice to have a guy that you can plug right in and get some contributions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Randy Moss: My heart is in New England

ROFL!!!!

More like my paycheck is in New England.

This guy knows he screwed up like he did in Minny twice, Tenn, Oak, and NE. Now he see's dollars flying away and wants to go back to the one place that might pay him if he says the right things.

It's funny because I remember him saying his heart was in Minny and then saying that he wants to stay in Tenn too.

The guy is getting older, his ability to get open is disappearing, and his motivation looks non existent if he's not the focus. Why would any team that isn't desperate to make a big name splash want him?

BTW the double team is a misnomer now a days. This year with the Pats he was single covered a high percentage of the time (even with the Jets), in Minn he was only double covered the first couple games then that disappeared, and in Tenn once again after a game or two the double team disappeared. He doesn't warrant a double team anymore which is a shame that if he was a better route runner he still might demand a double team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Translation, "I really f*d up a good thing with my actions and mouth and now I'm trying to get my foot back in the door".  No thanks, this guy has been a knucklehead his whole career and I don't see him changing his stripes with some low risk, incentive laden deal (which is about the only thing NE would give him). 

I'd rather have Santana Moss in a Patriot's uni next eyar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

APD, Moss is a high risk proposition given the following:

-he's never been a team player. His true colors come out when he doesn't get the ball. BB will always support him, but Moss will be throwing water bottles at O'Brien.
    -Moss is done. He was terrible last year.
    -Moss is bad for Brady. Moss can't outcompete people for balls, so Brady will have to log some deep balls that will ultimately get intercepted to keep Moss happy.
    -the pats were a MUCH better team without him. Don't listen to all those idiot analysts who think a burner is an #1 priority based on one loss. they also beat the jets by 42 points without him so is it possible other factors were at play during the loss?
    -Moss is NOT a patriot. He's a soft, pampered athlete who doesn't perform in the clutch or cold weather. Look it up. He's not what they need.

Bringing Moss back is a terrible, terrible idea.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

He would make a good coach?!? C'mon killa your better than that. Maybe Manny Ramirez would be a good hitting coach for the red sox too when he retires. 

In Response to Re: Randy Moss: My heart is in New England:
    He knows is best chance at finishing his career on a high note is with NE and it would work. The reason he was so good in 07 was the Pats had a show up and play or we will cut you attitude about it. He knew coming in that the ball went to the open man and that maybe he was not going to be on the field all the time but only when needed. Then they went away from that and made it about Moss and it didnt work. If he comes back and they play the same way they did with out him and only put him in when they need to take the top off the D then it would be a win win for the Pats. Plus they know and the fans know that if he acts up we can cut him and it wont matter. I think he would make a great coach so I hope he is for real about getting into coaching.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Can you present your ex gf theory again? I think a lot of fans will be lining up to support Moss without even remembering that he did his best to get two coaches fired last year. A lot of people will only remember 2007. If his actions last year don't SCREAM he's not a patriot, then I don't know what does. This guy is just a self centered turd who doesn't have the skills anymore to warrant his attitude. 

ROFL!!!! More like my paycheck is in New England. This guy knows he screwed up like he did in Minny twice, Tenn, Oak, and NE. Now he see's dollars flying away and wants to go back to the one place that might pay him if he says the right things. It's funny because I remember him saying his heart was in Minny and then saying that he wants to stay in Tenn too. The guy is getting older, his ability to get open is disappearing, and his motivation looks non existent if he's not the focus. Why would any team that isn't desperate to make a big name splash want him? BTW the double team is a misnomer now a days. This year with the Pats he was single covered a high percentage of the time (even with the Jets), in Minn he was only double covered the first couple games then that disappeared, and in Tenn once again after a game or two the double team disappeared. He doesn't warrant a double team anymore which is a shame that if he was a better route runner he still might demand a double team.
    Posted by PatsEng

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

My biggest fault sometimes is that I'm too loyal. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

But seriously, a lot of good points you guys raise. I guess we'll have to see.

Doesn't a lengthy lockout almost GUARANTEE Moss being brought back though for the reasons I mentioned?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Veteran minimum and if he's healthy, I don't think it's a bad idea, necessarily.

I hate rewarding bad behavior like everyone else probably does, but if you can get very low cost out of him on a tryout basis (one slight slip up and you are gone) and still draft a deep threat rookie type, you are in good shape.

The second he asked for a trade and was dealt, I knew he'd regret it badly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

But seriously, a lot of good points you guys raise. I guess we'll have to see. Doesn't a lengthy lockout almost GUARANTEE Moss being brought back though for the reasons I mentioned?
    Posted by apdynasty23

apd,
    My question would be, why does it guarantee Moss comes back?  They clearly trusted their WR corp enough last year to move on without him.

Also, with the CBA issues comes a freeze on any sort of player acquisitions, so how would they bring Moss aboard even if they wanted to?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Assume the Pats do draft a speedy tall receiver (which i hope they do) where does Moss fit in???

Draft Speedy Receiver
    Branch
    Welker
    Tate
    Price
    Edelman

There not going to go with 7 receivers so who goes if Moss signs? (assuming the draft pick makes roster)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

MB, I get that they trusted their WR corp but we were also pretty healthy at that position for the most part. Can we count on Branch to be healthy all year next year? I wouldn't be comfortable doing that.

I know Tate technically played his rookie season last year but let's say he doesn't make decent strides, then what? I don't completely buy into the notion of needing a deep threat to win in this league, especially in today's NFL, but I'd still like to have someone like Wallace on the Steelers that can kill you if you fall asleep on him. I hope Tate turns into that.

To me, Moss would serve as insurance in case any, or all, of that happens. Just my take.

And you're right about not being able to sign Moss even if we wanted to since there's no CBA. I overlooked that part (oops!). I was thinking about how teams signed other players but that was before the CBA expired, which doesn't apply now. My logic, had it been possible to sign Moss, was that since we don't have team workouts, it would hinder Tate's, Edelman's and definitely Price's growth since they're not around the coaches and their teammates. Bring Moss in and you could essentially plug him right in. That was my logic but it's moot point anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

To some degree, you have to think Tate's progression was hindered in camp and early in the season by Moss himself, for the fact Moss is Moss and the HOF player.

I guess we'll know about this with how they go in the draft, but Moss could be a fallback, especially if he isn't aggressively looking to sign with anyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think my biggest point is that deep threat or not, Moss is not a Patriot and hinders what they do as a team. He hinders Brady's leadership by being such a big figure. He hinders what BB does when they constantly have to kiss his @ss after a performance when Moss clearly doesn't give it his all. If you read Patriot Reign, he's a 'negative leader' times 1000. 

They won in the past by being a team and not being just a collection of talent. I think Moss' track record clearly indicates that while he may be productive, he doesn't fit well on a team and often takes away from what the team does. He's not a guy you way in a fox hole, and he's not a guy you want going into huge games. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I thought his heart was in Minnesota?? Where the people love him...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

As the great Roburto Durand said "No Moss, No Moss!"

The Pats don't need him, he serves NO USEFUL purpose, unless you want to teach guys how to be a knob and underperform to get yourself out of town. He would slow down the growth of the new guys. AND you can't run a football team on ifs and expect to be any good. Go with the young guys and pick up a WR in the 2012 draft if you need to or the 2013 draft if there isn't any football this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

His heart maybe in New England but his head is up his NewYork.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Personally I'd like to cut ties and move on. But, yes theres always a but, Moss did play hurt some. I think that part of his time with the team he got a bum rap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

It's great that he knows where his heart is ... it's his game that can't be found.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I actually think Tate is going to develop into a heck of a WR once he hits his stride. People are too quick to give up on young players in NE. This is not Chad Jackson we are talking about the kid made some plays last year. And it was his rookie season so he did alright. I see him turning into a Greg Jennings type WR or a Steve Smith type WR. Maybe he doesn't but I think its worth giving him a shot. And Taylor Price could be a good player too if he develops.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Whoa.  No way he is Greg Jennings or Steve Smith level. No way.

Mike Wallace, yes.

He needs to learn the middle routes and be thrown to, underneath, so his deep routes will become more lethal.

He looked like a typical rookie to me last year. Some good signs, some flaws like drops.

But, Greg Jennings and Steve Smith were immediate, impact WRs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I actually think Tate is going to develop into a heck of a WR once he hits his stride. People are too quick to give up on young players in NE. This is not Chad Jackson we are talking about the kid made some plays last year. And it was his rookie season so he did alright. I see him turning into a Greg Jennings type WR or a Steve Smith type WR. Maybe he doesn't but I think its worth giving him a shot. And Taylor Price could be a good player too if he develops.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I actually like Price better then Tate. The problem I saw with Tate was that he was having trouble getting separation and the few times he did get separation he dropped the ball or Brady overthrew him (which in my mind means Tate's slowing up as he looks back for the ball, not a good thing for a deep threat). Price to me showed some good separation moves and down the line acceleration. He also didn't lose a step looking for the ball which is a plus. You could tell Price was still a bit raw on route running but he put on a couple moves which gave him some space. To me Price will develop into a deeper threat WR that can also improve greatly in mid-range routes that will cut up a defense if they zone long or stuff the short dumps. I saw a lot more of what I liked from Price then Tate last year but I still have hopes Tate will get the hang of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

Moss needs to shut up!  He burnt his bridge on his way out of town!  The Pats showed they were better without him but he wasn't better without them! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

LOL using the BB opinion card I see. Nice move. 

I would counter by saying BB was just trying to keep Randy happy by saying something nice about him. He knew Moss was a unique talent so he consistently took steps to keep him performing.

And I would in no way argue that Moss doesn't have an extremely high football IQ, it's just that he's such a DB that all the knowledge in the world couldn't make up for all the other crap. 

"He would make a good coach?!? C'mon killa your better than that. Maybe Manny Ramirez would be a good hitting coach for the red sox too when he retires. " - RockDog RockDog my brother from another mother LOL it comes down to one question, do you trust Bill Belichick opinion? Cause I take his opinion above all others as IMO he is the best coach in all of sports and the best coach in NFL history. And he has said more times then I can count that he has never coached a single player from LT to Bruschi with a higher Football IQ then Randy Moss. Randy Moss a *damn smart player whether you like him or not. And if he wants to coach high school football like he said he does then i think he will do a bang up job. I dont know if he would be a good pro coach, I highly doubt it or even a college coach but at the high school level I think he would of a load of knowledge to share with young people. I coach high school football and I can tell you he would blow me out of the water LOL
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

If he is willing to acept his role (according to BB) and come in at a rate that is value, why not?  Of course, things would need to be agreed up front...about attitude; roles; team play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Moss is nearing the end of the road.  But if a reciever is not drafted then I would welcome him back for a low base deal.  Brady will hit him 40 times for 700 yds. 

Sections
Shortcuts