Rank the defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Rank the defense

BB took the 31st ranked defense to the SB last year; can't wait to see what even subtle improvements will do now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In Response to Re: Rank the defense:
    [QUOTE]BB took the 31st ranked defense to the SB last year; can't wait to see what even subtle improvements will do now.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]
    There's no place to go but up!

I'd like to see an improvement like the Texans' defense had.
    They went from 30th in yards allowed in 2010 to 2nd in 2011.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rank the defense : id like to see some bequette in that scott slot
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

In time, but both Bequette and Jones should only be used in 3rd and longs. Just turn them loose and let them kill. Fannene and Scott, on the other hand, are more sound technique-wise. They probably set the edge well enough and, ever so often, they'll get you a sack or two. 

In this system, I can see Fannene and Scott getting 5 sacks a piece with Jones and Bequette getting an additional 5 each. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rank the defense : In time, but both Bequette and Jones should only be used in 3rd and longs. Just turn them loose and let them kill. Fannene and Scott, on the other hand, are more sound technique-wise. They probably set the edge well enough and, ever so often, they'll get you a sack or two.  In this system, I can see Fannene and Scott getting 5 sacks a piece with Jones and Bequette getting an additional 5 each. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I think early on Belichick will play the rookies in his 2/4/5, four man front defense that he ran the majority of last year. It will allow the young guys to focus on one thing, attacking upfield. In time they will learn to play on two feet and will become true outside linebackers.  

If by the time camp and pre-season end we see either Jones, Bequette or both standing up outside playing OLB in the 3/4 then it's a very promising sign. We're a better defense when we play a 3/4 and the sooner these young guys get it the better it will be for the defense as a whole.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Most people just haven't quite realized how badly injuries and intangibles on the defense last year killed us.  Think about it.

Ty Warren never came back fully healthy and had to be released.
    Released Leigh Bodden due to injuries.
    Released James Sanders due to money issues.
    Released Brandon Merriweather.
    Spikes and Chung missed close to half a season each due to injuries.
    MaCourtney had a horrible case of the Sophmore Slumps.
    Those are all STARTERS above.  Now also factor in several other impactful injuries like Dowling, Mike Wright and other key backup or certain package type players.  Honestly, it's a wonder our defense played as well as they did!

So when I hear people say the Pats defense doesn't look to be all that improved, I have to wonder if they're nuts or just completely ignorant of the fact that the Pats defense was being held togehter with duct tape and chewing gum.  We even had not 1, but 2 players from the offense playing defense!!!  And we still managed to make it to the Superbowl!  It's crazy more reporters and sports analysts weren't talking about why the D was so bad rather just how bad they were as there was a monster story there.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB is the king of the prevent.  He could put superheroes on the field and they'd still come in something like 16th in terms of yards given up, because every fourth quarter without fail Brady and the offense would be 20 or 30 points up and then the defense would give up a slow grinding defense downfield all quarter.

In terms of who I'd like to have if I were coach, this is easily a top 5 defense, maybe better.  When the chips are down just outside of field goal range and within the 15 yard line, this defense should be nothing short of ferocious.  And yes, I'd play the prevent too.  

The offensive line scares me a bit.  It's swiss cheese now.  It will be better in September but I still expect to see some holes there.  Starting center Koppen is dead on his feet and will be leaving the team, sorry Dan.  Mankins might play in September, but bad medical things sometimes happen too with ACLs.  Cannon is a learning semi-rookie due to his chemo last year at this time.  The entire offensive line, bar none, is regularly getting burned by Jones, Hightower and Cunningham, not to mention the lesser stars.  

Part of that is Jones, Hightower and Cunningham.  I keep reading multiple indications that Jones is nowhere near raw at this game, that he has a number of moves cold including exploding around the end, the rip move and the up-down, whatever that is, backed up by his infinitely long arms and other physical abilities.   Jones was drafted before Hightower for a reason.  Also, Ron Brace wants a job against running teams like Baltimore and the Jets.  Maybe the reborn human avalanche can hold the nose position while a 375 pound Wilfork plays defensive end against the Jake Longs of the NFL, or the two of them can line up as twin 4-3 tackles.  This will be a rebuilt defensive front seven from week 1 and I expect it to cave most offenses in. 

The backfield is the same old, but with their starters back.  Not much to write home about, but they've been overly maligned for a long time.

Warning:  I have a feeling that BB regularly orders his best players to pull deliberate bonehead fumbles/interceptions in preseason games, precisely because those games don't count.  If anything, preseason games raise/lower everyone's expectations across the NFL and so a preseason stomping might possibly cost the Patriots a real win later.  My rule of thumb is to throw out the Patriots' 5 or 10 ugly as sin plays and look at whether they are otherwise crushing the opposition in preseason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Most people just haven't quite realized how badly injuries and intangibles on the defense last year killed us.  Think about it. Ty Warren never came back fully healthy and had to be released. Released Leigh Bodden due to injuries. Released James Sanders due to money issues. Released Brandon Merriweather. Spikes and Chung missed close to half a season each due to injuries. MaCourtney had a horrible case of the Sophmore Slumps. Those are all STARTERS above.  Now also factor in several other impactful injuries like Dowling, Mike Wright and other key backup or certain package type players.  Honestly, it's a wonder our defense played as well as they did! So when I hear people say the Pats defense doesn't look to be all that improved, I have to wonder if they're nuts or just completely ignorant of the fact that the Pats defense was being held togehter with duct tape and chewing gum.  We even had not 1, but 2 players from the offense playing defense!!!  And we still managed to make it to the Superbowl!  It's crazy more reporters and sports analysts weren't talking about why the D was so bad rather just how bad they were as there was a monster story there.   
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

Good post, but don't try to talk reason into some here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Most people just haven't quite realized how badly injuries and intangibles on the defense last year killed us.  Think about it. Ty Warren never came back fully healthy and had to be released. Released Leigh Bodden due to injuries. Released James Sanders due to money issues. Released Brandon Merriweather. Spikes and Chung missed close to half a season each due to injuries. MaCourtney had a horrible case of the Sophmore Slumps. Those are all STARTERS above.  Now also factor in several other impactful injuries like Dowling, Mike Wright and other key backup or certain package type players.  Honestly, it's a wonder our defense played as well as they did! So when I hear people say the Pats defense doesn't look to be all that improved, I have to wonder if they're nuts or just completely ignorant of the fact that the Pats defense was being held togehter with duct tape and chewing gum.  We even had not 1, but 2 players from the offense playing defense!!!  And we still managed to make it to the Superbowl!  It's crazy more reporters and sports analysts weren't talking about why the D was so bad rather just how bad they were as there was a monster story there.   
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

Exactly how does people realizing McCourty played badly and Meriweather was not good enough for BB to keep equate to them being "nuts or just completely ignorant"?

We still managed to make it to a SB because we have a HOF QB and a HOF coach, not because a mickey mouse defense overachieved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rank the defense : Good post, but don't try to talk reason into some here.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't know reason if it was a trailer truck flattening you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

We still managed to make it to a SB because we have a HOF QB and a HOF coach, not because a mickey mouse defense overachieved.

Babe, one man and one coach do not a super bowl make. You don't make it to the super bowl without having an adequate defense.

Vince Lombardi Bart Starr - 5 SB appearances in 9 seasons - 5 wins
    Bill Walsh Joe Montana - 4 SB appearance in 8 seasons - 4 wins
    Chuck Noll Terry Bradshaw - 4 SB appearances in 12 seasons - 4 wins
    Bill Belichick Tom Brady - 5 SB appearances in 10 seasons - 3 wins
    Don Shula Bob Griese - 3 SB appearances in 9 seasons - 2 wins
    Tom Landry Roger Staubach - 4 SB appearances in 8 seasons - 2 wins
    Don Shula Johnny Unitas - 1 SB appearance in 6 seasons - 1 wins
    Bud Grant Fran Tarkenton - 3 SB appearances in 7 seasons - 0 wins
    Marv Levy Jim Kelly - 4 SB appearances in 11 seasons - 0 wins
    Don Shula Dan Marino - 1 SB appearance in 12 seasons - 0 wins

I think you'll find that the most successful coach/QB combos had some pretty good teams around them, as do the Patriots.