Ranking Best Players in AFC East

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Ranking Best Players in AFC East

This new guy Erik Frenz is doing something similar to what they do on nfl.com, counting down the best players from 25 to 1, except he is only looking at the AFC East.  He started at #25 with Ridley.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/05/afc_east_top_25_no_25_patriots_1.html

Who would you have in the top 5?  Or give us all 25 if you want.

Here's one stab at it (without appearing to be a total homer):

1. Tom Brady (no question where he ranks)

2. Nick Mangold  (the only thing that the Jets have on offense really)

3. Vince Wilfork (solid, dependable, anchors the D line)

4. Cameron Wake ( a force that must be game-planned)

5. Rob Gronkowski  (he'd be higher if not for key injuries at inopportune times)

EDIT:

Here are his picks as they are revealed (1 each day):

4. Rob Gronkowski NE

5. Muhammad Wilkerson NYJ

6. C.J. Spiller BUFF

7. Jairus Byrd BUFF

8.  Stevie Johnson BUFF

9.   Reshad Jones MIA

10. Mike Pouncey MIA

11. Ferguson NYJ

12. Mangold NYJ

13. Mayo NE

14. Cromartie NYJ

15. Kyle Williams BUFF

16. Mankins NE

17. Hernandez NE

18. Mario Williams BUFF

19. Wallace MIA

20. McCourty NE

21. Tannehill MIA

22. Starks MIA

23. Solder NE

24. Wood  BUFF

25. Ridley NE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Re: Ranking Best Players in AFC East

Im doing my list based on who I believe will be the top 5 players going into 2013. I really believe Spiller is the real deal and if he stays healthy he can put up a lot of yards on the ground and in the air. I believe Nate Solder really started coming into his own last year and hes the best OL in the AFC East. 

1. Tom Brady

2. Cameron Wake

3. Vince Wilfork

4. CJ Spiller

5. Nate Solder

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Im doing my list based on who I believe will be the top 5 players going into 2013. I really believe Spiller is the real deal and if he stays healthy he can put up a lot of yards on the ground and in the air. I believe Nate Solder really started coming into his own last year and hes the best OL in the AFC East. 

1. Tom Brady

2. Cameron Wake

3. Vince Wilfork

4. CJ Spiller

5. Nate Solder

Vollmer is still a better offensive lineman than Solder although that may change in the next few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

This new guy Erik Frenz is doing something similar to what they do on nfl.com, counting down the best players from 25 to 1, except he is only looking at the AFC East.  He started at #25 with Ridley.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/05/afc_east_top_25_no_25_patriots_1.html

5. Rob Gronkowski  (he'd be higher if not for key injuries at inopportune times)

good call on Mangold...what about Stevie Johnson?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

except for one guy on the board, could anyone argue Revis would have been number 2 if he was still in the AFC East?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

except for one guy on the board, could anyone argue Revis would have been number 2 if he was still in the AFC East?

agreed

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Everybody wants to be #1 but nothing wrong with a solid #2.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have to think TB, Vince and Mankins in the top 5? Mangold and Byrd round out top 5?

Gronk, Mayo, Vollmer in the 2nd 5?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

So far Frenz has picked (25) Ridley, (24) Wood BUF, (23) Solder.  I will update his selections under the OP.

He's revealing 1 guy each day.  I think he's doing a pretty good job so far, including his analysis.  It might be fun to guess/select your own next pick.

At 22 I'd have Mike Wallace.  His name might get him ranked higher, but I think this is where he belongs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Mangold had a subpar year last year for him.  I wouldn't put him top 5 after last year.

Generally agree with the rest of the list.  You could put Hernandez in there over Mangold pretty easily. Or Vollmer for that matter.

translation: mangold is on the jets

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Mangold had a subpar year last year for him.  I wouldn't put him top 5 after last year.

Generally agree with the rest of the list.  You could put Hernandez in there over Mangold pretty easily. Or Vollmer for that matter.

translation: mangold is on the jets

I could have seen a healthy Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, D'brick and Wilkerson all in the top 15. 

I also wouldn't have argued if Wes were still here as top 5

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

My rankings are under the assumption that all players are 100% healthy:

1. Tom Brady - no debate

2. Rob Gronkowski - when healthy, he is simply uncoverable.  Our offense is nowhere near the same when he's not on the field.

3. Cameron Wake - What a freaking monster.  Can you imagine him on the opposite end of Jones?  Our pass-rushing woes would be no more.  It's invaluable having the tandem of Vollmer/Solder who help stymie Wake just a bit so he doesn't completely obliterate Brady.

4. Nick Mangold- I don't care what anybody says.  The Jets O-line is a completely different unit when Mangold is on the field.  He brings a nasty presence to their line and I'd take him on the Pats any day of the week and twice on Sundays

5. It can be argued that either Vollmer/Hernandez can go here and either would be valid, but I'm going to go with Jairus Byrd.  He's a young, upcoming stud who is a total ball-hawk on the back end of that Bills D.  As a QB, you always have to be aware of where is on the field.  Great player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

1. Tom Brady - no debate

2. Rob Gronkowski - when healthy, he is simply uncoverable.  Our offense is nowhere near the same when he's not on the field.

3. Cameron Wake - What a freaking monster.  Can you imagine him on the opposite end of Jones?  Our pass-rushing woes would be no more.  It's invaluable having the tandem of Vollmer/Solder who help stymie Wake just a bit so he doesn't completely obliterate Brady.

4. Nick Mangold- I don't care what anybody says.  The Jets O-line is a completely different unit when Mangold is on the field.  He brings a nasty presence to their line and I'd take him on the Pats any day of the week and twice on Sundays

5. It can be argued that either Vollmer/Hernandez can go here and either would be valid, but I'm going to go with Jairus Byrd.  He's a young, upcoming stud who is a total ball-hawk on the back end of that Bills D.  As a QB, you always have to be aware of where is on the field.  Great player.

Unfortunately Gronk and Hern have been injured too much for such high ranking. One of the factors is reliability, and both simply don't have it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

1. Tom Brady - no debate

Good list.   The only one I think is a reach is AH at #5.   I can see a case for Vollmer, no doubt.   I think AH is top 10 talent, but I'd rank him behind Vollmer, Wilfork and CJ Spiller for example.  Spiller ran for over 1200 yds on a team that was always behind and needed to pass.  Also, 43 receptions for a 10.7 yard avg.

You are right about Byrd, and with another year under his belt Gilmore could be scary good in the Bills secondary.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

1. Tom Brady - no debate

Good list.   The only one I think is a reach is AH at #5.   I can see a case for Vollmer, no doubt.   I think AH is top 10 talent, but I'd rank him behind Vollmer, Wilfork and CJ Spiller for example.  Spiller ran for over 1200 yds on a team that was always behind and needed to pass.  Also, 43 receptions for a 10.7 yard avg.

You are right about Byrd, and with another year under his belt Gilmore could be scary good in the Bills secondary.

Wow.  I cannot believe I left Vince off the list.  What an absolute brain f-a-r-t.  (Finals week has twisted my brain into a pretzel)  

Updated:

1. Tom Brady

2. Gronkowski

3. Wake

4. Big Vince

5. Mangold

And now I just realized I essentially duplicated your list.  It would be much easier to do a Top 10 because so many of these guys could crack the Top 5; it's purely subjective at this point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

1. Tom Brady - no debate

Unfortunately Gronk and Hern have been injured too much for such high ranking. One of the factors is reliability, and both simply don't have it. 

Dude, read my opening sentence which gives the parameters for my take on the discussion.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1. Tom Brady - no debate

Dude, read my opening sentence which gives the parameters for my take on the discussion.

I did read it. I am assuming Grink and Hern are healthy, but chances are they will become injured. I just don't think they can play the entire season injury free. 

If Gronk was able to stay on the field, I agree he is top 5. I don't think Hern is.

Sections
Shortcuts