Ranking the Draft Needs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Ranking the Draft Needs

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/04/patriots-draft-needs.html

I think we all know the needs, which I have explained some above^^, but how do YOU rank them?

To me, it comes down to best available at the pick. So say Kony Ealy and Ra'shede Hageman are there at 29, I would want Ealy because he's the safer pick in my opinion.

Now say everything is equal, talent wise, when we pick.... Then I would rank needs like this:

1. DE    2. TE    3. DT    4. Hybrid/Type      5.SS      6. OL      7. WR

What about you guys?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: Ranking the Draft Needs

DE/DT/OLB - a couple of players who can help the pass rush; which is still the #1 need.

OL

TE

SS

Maybe focus on need vs. best available player; which, BB will never do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Best available in a position of need, but all things being equal, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Versatile LB (plays upright)

2. DT

3. TE or WR (one good pass receiving threat--could be either position)

4. DE or hybrid OLB/DE (can play with a hand in the dirt)

5. Interior OL

6. RB, Safety, and/or Back-up QB

7. Another WR or TE 

8. Depth in the front seven

We also need a kick returner, but would expect to fill that role with a WR, DB, or RB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

#1 DT

#2 C/G

#3 DE

#4 SS

#5 C/G

#6 QB

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

DE is at the top for me.  Ealy might be there and I would find that hard to pass up.  Don't forget how Nick and Jones pooped out at the end because the Pats didn't have a rotation.

TE.  Are you really going to throw all your marbles in on Gronk?  And he is it mind you.  Could use two.  TE is a very short list too.  Might not come away with any in a high need area.

LB.  Thin here but the Pats have their starters in place.  Backup is needed badly..  Need two.

OL.  Good lineman can be found in the 4th round in this deep draft.  Especially the interior lineman.  Could use two

Of course this means that the DT position needs to hold up, the WR group shows progress and the RB group stays healthy and steady.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Not in any particular order

DT/DE/OLB - Should be the focus in the first 3 rounds depending on the players available.

D-backfield will need a corner if the plan for Revis is only this year and a safety if the right guy for their scheme is available.

Need an interior O-lineman as an upgrade for Wendell and or Connelly

TE possibly 2 if they are not going to pick up the 2015 option on Gronk.

Rotational RB can be had in the 6th or 7th round

WR if the value is there in the later rounds or if there is a can't pass receiver in the 4th round?

Don't think QB gets addressed until next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not in any particular order

DT/DE/OLB - Should be the focus in the first 3 rounds depending on the players available.

D-backfield will need a corner if the plan for Revis is only this year and a safety if the right guy for their scheme is available.

Need an interior O-lineman as an upgrade for Wendell and or Connelly

TE possibly 2 if they are not going to pick up the 2015 option on Gronk.

Rotational RB can be had in the 6th or 7th round

WR if the value is there in the later rounds or if there is a can't pass receiver in the 4th round?

Don't think QB gets addressed until next year.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

1,2  NT or DT with the first 2

3 OLB or SS

4 OL

5 TE

6,7  ST, Kicker QB or Interior line project

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Assuming everyone is healthy...a big assumption I admit, then all your starters spots are filled.  Depth is needed at...

1) DT injuries and age on both starters

2) LB Literly no backups on the roster

3) TE injury question mark plus questional depth

4) C/OG never enough depth here.  Mankins is getting old and expensive

5) SS questional talent, but some depth

6) RB lack of depth

7) QB Mallet in final year, and brady not many left

8) WR decent depth, just questionable talent

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

1. DT - Jones, Siliga, Vellano won't cut it and they showed they won't cut it once teams got familiar with them last year. Nice sub players but not really starters. With Kelly and Wilfork coming off of injures and getting a year older they need at least 1 starting DT immediately. Have any question, look at the pass rush and run D pre Wilfork/Kelly injury then post

2. TE - As with when Kelly/Wilfork went down, once Gronk went down everything on O changed. Teams pinned their ears back and rushed, rushed, rushed. The difference between how the D handled the game when they needed to deal with a player who could be a 6th OL or hurt them down the seam and when Gronk wasn't in there was immense. Having that type of player game in and game out could make a much larger difference then adding a C/G in the end

3. DE - Need a pass rusher to spell Nink and Jones. They wore down by the end of the year and the pass rush suffered.

4. LB - We don't have a capable 4th LB who can handle spot starts. Same as with DE you need someone who can take reps and keep the main starters fresh

5. Interior OL - Connolly maybe has a year left and Wendell can always be replaced but with Kline and Cannon not sure it's a big need right now. Provided they can get a TE to take pressure off the line.

6. RB - Vereen gets hurt every year and not sure BB trusts Ridley and both are on their last year. Time to look for another starting caliber RB

7. WR - IR Amendola didn't cut it last year, Edelman may or may not stay healthy, and chances are not all if any of the rooks from last year won't make a huge jump. We saw without Gronk this WR core can't get it done in the RZ and they lack a threat other teams need to account for on a consistent basis. This draft is deep at the WR position with many big guys who have speed and ability. This would have been a great year to double dip at the position

8. SS - The only reason this position isn't higher is because the rest of the secondary looks great on paper. They can survive with Harmon for a year if need be as there are more pressing matters to take care of.

9. QB - I wouldn't say this is a must need this year but they need to start looking for Brady's replacement sooner rather than later. This is a weak QB class so not sure I would this year though.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

1-DE

2-DT

3-TE

4-ILB

5-SS

6-OLB/Coverage LB

7-RB

8-OL

Priority FA's: QB,RB,WR,CB,ILB

Ideally I would like to see them add pass rushing from the DE slot, but if a good, pass rushing 3/4 DE is drafted to do so, that's fine with me, as long as they get someone in this draft to help out with the DE rotation...also, it's pretty obvious that we need to add some talented size and youth to the DT rotation ....a strong safety must be added to the mix as does a viable TE candidate even if we are able to sign Keller and he's not injury hampered in his performance...our ILB crew is depleted and we need a real viable ILB, not just a ST player...while it would not surprise me to us grab a top notch interior OL in this draft, I don't think it's as crucial a need as DL or TE....a decent RB and/or WR can be had late in the draft, or as a priority FA, as well as a development QB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'd swap 1 and 2 simply because, while they need relief and depth, Nink and Jones are solid at DE.  TE, we don't have a single solid player.  Big question marks surround Gronk, and after that we have average players at best.  That being said, there isn't a single TE in the draft beside Ebron worth a 1st round pick.  And it would shock me if he was there when we are on the clock.  There are however a couple DE's who may very well be there that I would draft at our spot. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

DT, SS, LB, TE, OL, DE and the order changes depending on the time of day.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DT, SS, LB, TE, OL, DE and the order changes depending on the time of day.   

[/QUOTE]

As the actual order will change based on who's available when the Pats pick.  Even the Pats won't know for sure until the moment they're on the clock. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Maybe a 3/4 DE is a better compromise/additional depth type signing.

On obvious passing downs you switch to a 3/3/5 with the following

jones       folk                 new guy

collins     mayo/hghtwer   nink

revis   mccourty  harmon   arrington   bower

could even push new guy inside to spell folk, and move nink forward and play both hightower and mayo.  Maybe a hybrid DE/DT is the right way to go wit the first pick...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Pats must address their front 7 on defense, still find a hard-nosed SS, and OL. Unless there's major improvement in all three of these areas, there's no way that they will reach the SB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. DT - Jones, Siliga, Vellano won't cut it and they showed they won't cut it once teams got familiar with them last year. Nice sub players but not really starters. With Kelly and Wilfork coming off of injures and getting a year older they need at least 1 starting DT immediately. Have any question, look at the pass rush and run D pre Wilfork/Kelly injury then post

1. TE - As with when Kelly/Wilfork went down, once Gronk went down everything on O changed. Teams pinned their ears back and rushed, rushed, rushed. The difference between how the D handled the game when they needed to deal with a player who could be a 6th OL or hurt them down the seam and when Gronk wasn't in there was immense. Having that type of player game in and game out could make a much larger difference then adding a C/G in the end

1. DE - Need a pass rusher to spell Nink and Jones. They wore down by the end of the year and the pass rush suffered.

1. LB - We don't have a capable 4th LB who can handle spot starts. Same as with DE you need someone who can take reps and keep the main starters fresh

1. Interior OL - Connolly maybe has a year left and Wendell can always be replaced but with Kline and Cannon not sure it's a big need right now. Provided they can get a TE to take pressure off the line.

1. RB - Vereen gets hurt every year and not sure BB trusts Ridley and both are on their last year. Time to look for another starting caliber RB

1. WR - IR Amendola didn't cut it last year, Edelman may or may not stay healthy, and chances are not all if any of the rooks from last year won't make a huge jump. We saw without Gronk this WR core can't get it done in the RZ and they lack a threat other teams need to account for on a consistent basis. This draft is deep at the WR position with many big guys who have speed and ability. This would have been a great year to double dip at the position

1. SS - The only reason this position isn't higher is because the rest of the secondary looks great on paper. They can survive with Harmon for a year if need be as there are more pressing matters to take care of.

1. QB - I wouldn't say this is a must need this year but they need to start looking for Brady's replacement sooner rather than later. This is a weak QB class so not sure I would this year though.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

This is about right.

Sections
Shortcuts