Ras I Dowling to IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Re: Ras I Dowling to IR

Pats nation, I know in Bill we trust.  But can someone tell me what the hell are the Patriots trying to do?  Go Pats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Deja-Vu all over again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Chung has played there and done OK, but that puts either Brown or Barrett in the deep section of the field with Dig.  Against Mike Wallace.  That is a matchup that the Pats can't win for 60 minutes, at some point they'll get smoked.  Arrington has played in the slot some, but he's playing pretty well outside...frustrating, there's no way the pats can really neutralize this loss.  Pass rush!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

They rolled the dice on him because  if healthy he had top 15 talent. So far as a pro he's shown the same ability as he did in the NCAA, to not be able to stay on the field. I live down here in VA so i got to see during games and he has legit talent but he is what he is. Fragile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Ras I Dowling to IR:
    [QUOTE]Patriots placed CB Ras-I Dowling (hip) on injured reserve, ending his season. A move that makes the Patriots' Friday release of Leigh Bodden all the more baffling. The Patriots' second-round pick, Dowlling appeared in just two games this season after turning in an injury-plagued senior season at the University of Virginia. He has now dealt with hip, hamstring, knee and ankle injuries the past two seasons. New England's 32nd ranked pass defense is now down to just Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Antwan Molden and Phillip Adams at cornerback. Ben Roethlisberger could have a career day Sunday. From rotoworld
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

This is terrible news. I don't want to be an alarmist, but a hip injury is extremely serious. It's the type of injury that destroys careers.

The loss of Dowling leaves the Patriots paper thin at CB, and takes away their big CB, to cover the likes of Plaxico Burress...particularly in the redzone.

Placing Dowling on IR immediately after the Pats release Leigh Bodden speaks volumes about what BB thought about Bodden as a player. and/or a person: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/29/patriots-activate-kevin-faulk-place-dowling-on-injured-reserve/ 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Ochocinco musy have impressed playing cornerback in practice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I just dont get it. We have absolutley no depth.  If anything happens to one of our corners, we are screwed. I was dissapointed in Bodden, but he is better than anyone we can get off the scrap heap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sometimes I hate Belichick, I swear...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Another guy we can't depend on...ridiculous. The guy steps on the field - plays a game and a half and he's done for the year!!?? Give me a break, I'm sick of these wasted resources for a secondary that stinks...Butler, Whilite, Meriweather, Bodden, Hobbs, Marshal...This is the best we could do with the first pick in the second round? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Ras I Dowling to IR:
    [QUOTE]Ochocinco musy have impressed playing cornerback in practice.
    Posted by nomadfan[/QUOTE]

Brilliant! Clever, very clever indeed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Look on the bright side I guess. The steelers must be scratching their heads more then any of us and are now wondering how to gameplan against only 2 1/2 CB's? Talk about mind boggling!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]shalisemyoung   shalise manza young   Dowling took nearly 90mins to finish 45min workout at UVa pro day bc he was gimpy & kept stopping to be stretched. this isn't new deal...
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Definately.  I VIVIDLY recall reading several scouting takes of Ras I's pro day performance before the draft...  A guy with injury issues on the field, actually pulled up lame & tweeked his hamstring while running his pro day 40 yard dash...on a sttraight-lined track row, and while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  It's Just- well, it's probably something you'd want to key weigh how much you're willing to part with selection-wise, prior to selecting him a full half round (very first selection after Rd #1) earlier than every analyst projects him to be targeted for, at the ABSOLUTE earliest (i.e. nowhere prior to halfway through Rd #2, and then anywhere into & throughout Rd 3).
         Subsequently, Rusty will say this doesn't matter, while others will say hindsight's 20-20, in which case- I'll flip out endlessly, considering how I've disussed the absolute importance of getting THE best & critically impt merits of draft day value selecting, not simply under it's own 2 year + old, & specific subject-right...but in the two or more dozen or so takes on this 2011 Draft, and Dowling in particular.

...apparently it means ZEROooo.  I suppose tteam's don't even need scouts...he Draft is a TOTAL roll-of-the-dice.  Game of chance.  Equal chance to select equally decent NFL players, by placing the top 300 names in 1 big magician's hat, and blindly reaching your hand in to select a guy at the instant your team is on the selection board.  

Uggh, I'm gettin' a cigar.  Jesus, who even needs to use cornerbacks on the field At All, even really...very overrated.  I'm well aware that Leigh Bodden in 2011 only had seperate issues of: Hand, thumb, hamstring, knee, andddd I believe=hamstring & thumb a couple more times.  Problem is however, I knew that when he WAS on the field, he could actually somewhat "play football."  
         Mind-boggling how one wouldn't target (if ya wanted to cut secondary)- Ross Ventrone (alright...he's 5'8, and he can't tackle or play Safety, regardless; Injury concerns for Ventrone with his thumb a few times, this year) Or Matt Slater (special teams?  Slater's minor "ST flashes", hasn't translated into this year). 
         BUT if: you're makin' room for Brace & Deadrick...why not cut D-Line???  Ya gotta weigh, the minor benefits of great size, scheme versatility, and vet prescence, WITH a totally underproducing 2011 year, in Shaun Ellis (currently, Gerrard Warren's size & game is the rough "Shawn Ellis match", & he's shown in training camp, that he's vastly better at this stage).  Brace's game is more situated for that 1-gap DT (which he's shown decent flashes in).  Deadrick's somewhere in between... So then, Kyle Love might wanna be targeted for the roster cut (Love AND Ellis btw, have had injury issues this year too). 
         How 'bout as a last resort...1 O-Lineman perhaps...?  Ryan Wendell'd be my choice.  A considerably undersized 6'2 290lb Center, who's been on NE for 3 years, yet his overall value is extremely minimal.  Pats starting OC is IR'd now...BUT, ya got Dan Connolly (OC), Danny Aiken imho, as a better long-term OC prospect in the future wings (with more weight).  Donald Thomas as also imo, A better long-term OG than Ryan Wendell is at OC.  Either way, you're going for just 1 year, prior to having OC Dan Koppen back (IF he's back...but then ya have the draft & free agency in this case).

Good gahd, idk...  Yea, yea="Armchair GM."  Yea, yea="Only BB has the full details...(do you know more than BILL BELICHICK?!?)."  Whatever...just something crazy & rogue in me, believes that one would target roster moves off of BOTH: Skill of individual player TOTALLY regardless of position.  Then #2, the greater majority of everything "cutting by Individual player skill-wise", not weighed considerably towards 1 guy or another, One would "THINK?" you might just NOT wanna make your absolutely GREAEST positional weakness on EITHER side of the football, 1 bit weaker...at all (like taking weak stitches out, & opening up an unhealed wound).           

of note:  Please gahd say BB's got some available Secondary depth, like Brandon McGowan, on speed-dial.  THAT could work.  TE pass-covering & intelligent Safety.  Pair him as a CB/S with Ihedigbo as your enforcer Safety, while Chung plays the field tactician Safety, and Arrington and DMC shore up your CB starters. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

We pretty much just drafted Bob Sanders 2.0...except injury wise, not talent wise. we still dont really know what this kid can do.

CB depth wise, we're exactly where we were last year. 

It's all on the dline now though. If they can generate a 2007 Giants-like pass rush, we should be fine. but thats a big IF

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ras I Dowling to IR : Definately.  I VIVIDLY recall reading several scouting takes of Ras I's pro day performance before the draft...  A guy with injury issues on the field, actually pulled up lame & tweeked his hamstring while running his pro day 40 yard dash...on a sttraight-lined track row, and while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  It's Just- well, it's probably something you'd want to key weigh how much you're willing to part with selection-wise, prior to selecting him a full half round (very first selection after Rd #1) earlier than every analyst projects him to be targeted for, at the ABSOLUTE earliest (i.e. nowhere prior to halfway through Rd #2, and then anywhere into & throughout Rd 3).      Subsequently, Rusty will say this doesn't matter, while others will say hindsight's 20-20, in which case- I'll flip out endlessly, considering how I've disussed the absolute importance of getting THE best & critically impt merits of draft day value selecting, not simply under it's own 2 year + old, & specific subject-right...but in the two or more dozen or so takes on this 2011 Draft, and Dowling in particular. ...apparently it means ZEROooo.  I suppose tteam's don't even need scouts...he Draft is a TOTAL roll-of-the-dice.  Game of chance.  Equal chance to select equally decent NFL players, by placing the top 300 names in 1 big magician's hat, and blindly reaching your hand in to select a guy at the instant your team is on the selection board.   Uggh, I'm gettin' a cigar.  Jesus, who even needs to use cornerbacks on the field At All, even really...very overrated.  I'm well aware that Leigh Bodden in 2011 only had seperate issues of: Hand, thumb, hamstring, knee, andddd I believe=hamstring & thumb a couple more times.  Problem is however, I knew that when he WAS on the field, he could actually somewhat "play football."        Mind-boggling how one wouldn't target (if ya wanted to cut secondary)- Ross Ventrone (alright...he's 5'8, and he can't tackle or play Safety, regardless; Injury concerns for Ventrone with his thumb a few times, this year) Or Matt Slater (special teams?  Slater's minor "ST flashes", hasn't translated into this year).       BUT if: you're makin' room for Brace & Deadrick...why not cut D-Line???  Ya gotta weigh, the minor benefits of great size, scheme versatility, and vet prescence, WITH a totally underproducing 2011 year, in Shaun Ellis (currently, Gerrard Warren's size & game is the rough "Shawn Ellis match", & he's shown in training camp, that he's vastly better at this stage).  Brace's game is more situated for that 1-gap DT (which he's shown decent flashes in).  Deadrick's somewhere in between... So then, Kyle Love might wanna be targeted for the roster cut (Love AND Ellis btw, have had injury issues this year too).       How 'bout as a last resort...1 O-Lineman perhaps...?  Ryan Wendell'd be my choice.  A considerably undersized 6'2 290lb Center, who's been on NE for 3 years, yet his overall value is extremely minimal.  Pats starting OC is IR'd now...BUT, ya got Dan Connolly (OC), Danny Aiken imho, as a better long-term OC prospect in the future wings (with more weight).  Donald Thomas as also imo, A better long-term OG than Ryan Wendell is at OC.  Either way, you're going for just 1 year, prior to having OC Dan Koppen back (IF he's back...but then ya have the draft & free agency in this case). Good gahd, idk...  Yea, yea="Armchair GM."  Yea, yea="Only BB has the full details...(do you know more than BILL BELICHICK?!?)."  Whatever...just something crazy & rogue in me, believes that one would target roster moves off of BOTH: Skill of individual player TOTALLY regardless of position.  Then #2, the greater majority of everything "cutting by Individual player skill-wise", not weighed considerably towards 1 guy or another, One would "THINK?" you might just NOT wanna make your absolutely GREAEST positional weakness on EITHER side of the football, 1 bit weaker...at all (like taking weak stitches out, & opening up an unhealed wound).            of note:  Please gahd say BB's got some available Secondary depth, like Brandon McGowan, on speed-dial.  THAT could work.  TE pass-covering & intelligent Safety.  Pair him as a CB/S with Ihedigbo as your enforcer Safety, while Chung plays the field tactician Safety, and Arrington and DMC shore up your CB starters. 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

In my opinion Chung as the "field tactician safety" won't work...he has coverage issues, plus taking/moving him out of a box type roll takes away his strength...tackling. I like Chung, but the guy's strength is his physical play, his weakness is staying away from injuries that keep him out a few games...plus losing players in coverage.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ras I Dowling to IR : In my opinion Chung as the "field tactician safety" won't work...he has coverage issues, plus taking/moving him out of a box type roll takes away his strength...tackling. I like Chung, but the guy's strength is his physical play, his weakness is staying away from injuries that keep him out a few games...plus losing players in coverage.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Trust me mthurl, you're preaching to the choir here.  In terms of Chung's BEST skill-set (which he's excellent at), yup=Attacking the ball.  Guy takes good angles & wants to make plays (unlike Meriweather...who just took bad angles, but still wanted to make plays).  In terms of having ANY true weakness...yea, probably the sheer blazing speed & deep-field recovery speed of being the last man.  But idk- With Chung, I'm not looking at this as a true "weakness".  It shouldn't be...we're simply viewing it as a weak point, sheerly in light of the considerable strength Chung has at attacking those underneath routes, and excellent tackling ability. 

But agreed man...  MAN...!  Guess that's the point here: Feel like Pats sum total of Secondary options, is being hamstringed right here.  For the gahd awful LIFE of me, I have ZERO idea why Sanders was released?!?  Lmao-Not THIS year, of ALL years, at least!  For years, I sorta disliked the fact that in BB's "bend-don't-break" 3-4, where his design was running his front 7 pretty conservatively, Someone like James Sanders's lack of play-making ability in the Secondary and his REALLY too conservative style of Safety play, wasn't THE very best fit.  But in a 4-3?!?  With a greater emphasis on attacking up front, and thus the greater worrisome potential for a greater Offensive specific play's big success???  I thought Sanders EXTREME style of heady last-man Safety defense, woulda been an actually even MORE conducive fit for this scheme.  I know very well that suddenly Sanders 4.5 or 5 mil or something, overall decent-sized cap hit, was something to take into consideration...But???  

Idk-   just-   very-   confused.      

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

stoopid to ir him. a healthy dowling ready for playoffs has more value than one of vereen, faulk, or a bubble dl.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]stoopid to ir him. a healthy dowling ready for playoffs has more value than one of vereen, faulk, or a bubble dl.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

Are you saying BB is stoopid?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I am totally FLABBERGASTED!  4 CB's now, what the heck is going on here?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Crap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I am in awe! There are so many people in here who know so much more than BB. Why doesnt Kraft hire some of them

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I sent my resume and Bob said I was over qualified.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefty20. Show lefty20's posts

I said it on they day of the draft, this guy would not be on the field for very long. As many have said, Brady and the Pats offense carry BB. Without Brady this team is in deep trouble. Dowling was hurt the second day of practice. This kid is very spindly looking, and has very long history of injuries. How does BB and his staff miss on so many 2nd round picks. Maybe Wilfort will play corner? Bodden and Dowling in the same day! I hope BB has a plan!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Kraft the businessman needs to step in and delegate some of BB's responsibilities to others. Chief among them, drafting.  Both GM and head coach is too much.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

[QUOTE]Another high draft pick disappoints.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

you act like his career over with. He was sent to IR, Brady was sent to IR in 08, I guess he's a disappointment. His better days came after the injury