Ras I Dowling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Ras I Dowling

I think he will be a good CB. If he catches on quick we could easily have one of the best secondaries in the league.The question I have is......Do you think BB was going to pick him where he did the whole time. I and many of you out there thought it was going to traded or a pass rusher. I like the pick I just wonder if he was targeting someone else or if he was going to take him. What do you guys think??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Ras I Dowling

We already know. He was trying to trade the pick out. He couldn't and took Ras-I. I think it's more likely that he wanted Ras-I, but thought he could get him a few selections lower. 

BB has a history of targetting his "needs" with very specific players, and then trying to move down to where he gets his "guy" at the best value.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think having McCourty and bodden as the starting CB's with dowling and butler handling the 3rd and 4th WR our DB's are going to be pretty hard to play against.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

In Response to Re: Ras I Dowling:
    i think having McCourty and bodden as the starting CB's with dowling and butler handling the 3rd and 4th WR our DB's are going to be pretty hard to play against.
    Posted by natesubs

What about Kyle Arrington?? I think Butler may be gone this yr...If not then next yr. I thought Butler would be good but he has been nothing but BRUTAL....always lets up a big play...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I think the Bills would have taken Ras I if the Pats had been able to trade #33.  We saw the Bills pick Aaron Williams with #34.  Williams has similar dimensions as Dowling but may not have as high of a projected ceiling.  It may have been a similar situation to last year with the McCourty pick.  If we had not taken McCourty with the 27th pick last year then the Jets would have taken him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think the Bills would have taken Ras I if the Pats had been able to trade #33.  We saw the Bills pick Aaron Williams with #34.  Williams has similar dimensions as Dowling but may not have as high of a projected ceiling.  It may have been a similar situation to last year with the McCourty pick.  If we had not taken McCourty with the 27th pick last year then the Jets would have taken him.
    Posted by ZachRudy

Possible. But if you watched the draft insider video that was floating around here, NE was shopping that selection. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Oh definitely.  If the Pats had been offered a  2 second rounders then the 33rd pick would have been gone.  Ras I just represented the best player available, which I guess doesn't really play into my theory above.  I am curious what BB thought of the talent in this draft.  All the trading down makes me think Bill was not too impressed. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I hope we get the chance to find out...........  It's just dragging.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'll take a middle forecast.  BB probably had some moderately good trade in his pocket from all-night calling, and Ras-I was available, so he took Ras-I but it was a close decision.  We know that he wouldn't have used pick #28 for Ras-I because he had a pretty sweet deal at #28.  So, Ras-I was a good value at #33, not a great value. 

Also, BB may see something special about drafting a second-rounder that isn't true of a late first-rounder, something that we don't see.  BB was also at #34 for Butler, #40 and #41 for Chung and Brace, #47 for Vollmer.  Moving on, there was Gronkowski, Cunningham,...  I detect a sweet spot. 

Let's see...  A second-rounder only signs a 4 year deal, so the bonus money isn't as much, but is obligated as a restricted free agent to sign for a fifth year at chump change.  Exception that proves the rule:  Wes Welker, who got lifted away from stupid Miami for a second rounder plus a seventh.  If your particular team has its own highly competent scouting organization and everybody else uses rip-and-read scouting, you alone get to grab from a wealth of second round choices, some of whom are first round material.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I'll take a middle forecast.  BB probably had some moderately good trade in his pocket from all-night calling, and Ras-I was available, so he took Ras-I but it was a close decision.  We know that he wouldn't have used pick #28 for Ras-I because he had a pretty sweet deal at #28.  So, Ras-I was a good value at #33, not a great value.  Also, BB may see something special about drafting a second-rounder that isn't true of a late first-rounder, something that we don't see.  BB was also at #34 for Butler, #40 and #41 for Chung and Brace, #47 for Vollmer.  Moving on, there was Gronkowski, Cunningham,...  I detect a sweet spot.  Let's see...  A second-rounder only signs a 4 year deal, so the bonus money isn't as much, but is obligated as a restricted free agent to sign for a fifth year at chump change.  Exception that proves the rule:  Wes Welker, who got lifted away from stupid Miami for a second rounder plus a seventh.  If your particular team has its own highly competent scouting organization and everybody else uses rip-and-read scouting, you alone get to grab from a wealth of second round choices, some of whom are first round material.
    Posted by Paul_K

"BB was also at # 34 for Butler, # 40 and # 41 for Chung and Brace, # 47 for Volmer"

Paul you got your draft picks all confused! Chung was at # 34, Brace and Butler were at # 40 and 41 (in that order)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The pick was a reach. I think Solder was a good pick(despite what talking heads say) but Dowling could have been taken later. Along with the 2 rb's possibly taken too early this was the only down side of the draft for me. Seems like we could have gotten better value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Everyone keeps saying "better value." This draft was very weak for excellent players, maybe a dozen total. After that all had some flaws.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

No sure how any of us can pass any judgement considering that no draft pick has played a down in the NFL, which is a complete 180 from college.  Have to let these guys play at least two years to have any indication if there player was worth the pick. 

This draft covered 'needs' across the board, which we should all be happy about.  Of course the Pass Rush was not addressed, but after pick 10 it was rolling the dice on the available rushers. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Ras I Dowling : What about Kyle Arrington?? I think Butler may be gone this yr...If not then next yr. I thought Butler would be good but he has been nothing but BRUTAL....always lets up a big play...
    Posted by patriots1a2

We didn't always have stellar #3 CBs in the championship years, but they didn't have to hold their man for 7-8 seconds on virtually every play (as was the case last year).  It makes a difference when you have guys like McGinest, Vrabel, Seymour and Bruschi in the QB's face in 2-3 seconds.  I'd like to see Butler for another year with an improved pass rush.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

In Response to Re: Ras I Dowling : We didn't always have stellar #3 CBs in the championship years, but they didn't have to hold their man for 7-8 seconds on virtually every play (as was the case last year).  It makes a difference when you have guys like McGinest, Vrabel, Seymour and Bruschi in the QB's face in 2-3 seconds.  I'd like to see Butler for another year with an improved pass rush.
    Posted by nyjoseph

Though I completely agree with your early points, I have to disagree on Butler... I hope to NEVER see him again in a Pat's uni.  He just does NOT get it at corner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Oh definitely.  If the Pats had been offered a  2 second rounders then the 33rd pick would have been gone.  Ras I just represented the best player available, which I guess doesn't really play into my theory above.  I am curious what BB thought of the talent in this draft.  All the trading down makes me think Bill was not too impressed. 
    Posted by ZachRudy

BB almost always moves down - so I agree he is not as impressed w the higher picked players, but he does find the players that work in his system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Picks 17 33  rd.5  rd.6 were great picks, the rest of the picks=000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

I heard his Mother was the best LB coach in NFL  lol JK had to get that one in then it would be all in the family.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

he's also huge 6'1 almost 200lbs and has blazing speed. the most obvious matchup i could envision would be him on Brandon Marshall (6'4) although probably not this year. cant wait to see what he's got. can't seem to scratch that football itch the past couple days

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

re: ras i and arrington. i'd start ras-i from day 1. arrington can tackle but has no cover skills. he can watch a guy make a catch and tackle him if he can catch him.
    play ras-i in regular season and by playoffs he has a chance to be a good nfl cover guy 9plus he has great ball hawking skills. you do risk the injuries with him, but we signed up for that when we took him. hopefully his luck turns re that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

I'm liking this kid more and more...his size and speed makes him a good candidate for Safetyhttp://60maxpowero.com/draftermath1.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I am not going to get my hopes up to high as Wheatley, and Darius have turned out to be total bums even though they played above average in college.

Hopefully Ras doesn't have too many technique issues. If so then hes probably a longer term investment. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I would think that Ras I Dowling will turn into a fine player as he has already done his understudy work at Al Groh University,he hits like a linebacker and has at worst 4.4 speed (that's what he ran at the combine with a hammy pull) he is a good cover corner and will fit in a lot quicker than Butler has. In answer to your question about the selection I was of the mind that if BB was offered the right price for the pick he would have traded it in a heartbeat. As for drafting a DE/OLB I wasn't sold on that idea as I wanted them to refurbish the O-line and they did OK with Solder and Cannon but I would have liked one more stud lineman too protect Brady.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ras was picked because Bodden was signed short term and has already been hurt for half his contract, we need another "big" corner and he was the best available in the draft. 

Sections
Shortcuts