Ras-i Dowling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Ras-i Dowling

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2011_0825ras-i_schooled_in_belichick_ways/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjPU5YxvTA&feature=related

Looking forward to see him practice/play

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Ras-i Dowling

I think everyone is grossly overanalyzing Ras-I Dowling

In my opinion, anything from him THIS year is found money

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling:
    I think everyone is grossly overanalyzing Ras-I Dowling In my opinion, anything from him THIS year is found money
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

That's just incredibly misguided. Anything from the 33rd pick is not "found money." He should be expected to perform -- in his first year.

I think he will.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's tall and fast...

Put him on Plax and let's see what he got. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

yeah, dowling and vereen are 2nd round picks, not developmental projects. they are expected to produce.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I'm very excited about Ras-i too.  I think this kid could be a very good nfl player. Glad he is here...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

I think everyone is grossly overanalyzing Ras-I Dowling In my opinion, anything from him THIS year is found money

I think you mean found $$ bc we're set at corner (right now!) this year...but this kid is a 2nd rnder. If he scuffles, & never amounts to anything? BUST CITY!! Bad pick....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

He's tall and fast... Put him on Plax and let's see what he got. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Its easy to guard plax while hes with the jets

Step one stay play off him and stay ahead of him
    step two easily intercept all of the overthrown sancheeze bombs
    step three profit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling : That's just incredibly misguided. Anything from the 33rd pick is not "found money." He should be expected to perform -- in his first year. I think he will.
    Posted by e4smith

Sorry, on this one I don't fully agree. Some positions often call for more experience before a player gets meaningful time. Clearly it is NOT a rule but you just see fewer players at some positions step in as rookies. QB is the obvious one. In this offense WR is another. In a BB D OLB and DBs also. McCourty started as a rookie and he isnt the first. But it requires either an unusual player or a real lack of depth or quality.

I wouldnt say we shouldnt see Dowling play but I would not expect a rookie CB, especially with the first three of Bodden, McCourty and Arrington, to see much time. And if he is to see time I would not expect it till the last third of the season or so.

Still, I would be happy if he is good enough and sees the field as long as it is not due to injuries.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling : That's just incredibly misguided. Anything from the 33rd pick is not "found money." He should be expected to perform -- in his first year. I think he will.
    Posted by e4smith

Don't argue with Nickc. He played High School football and knows more than anybody.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

I would like to see Dowling get a look at free safety.  If he can cover with hung like Chung bringing the wood the Pats may have something...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling : I think you mean found $$ bc we're set at corner (right now!) this year...but this kid is a 2nd rnder. If he scuffles, & never amounts to anything? BUST CITY!! Bad pick....
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption

DMC and Bodden are a solid tandem on the outside, but I wouldn't say they're "set" at corner as Dowling represents a potential upgrade to their nickle sets (over Aarington/Butler/Wilhite).  Aarington is capable and can hold down the fort for now, but Dowling has the much higher upside and is 3 inches taller.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

A first pick selection in the second round, after a night off from the first round is a pretty significant pick, no?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling : I think Ihedigbo has already done that.
    Posted by McCheaters

Yeah, too bad we didn't trade up and get Kyle Wilson as well. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've never seen the kid play (and I think evaluating defensive back talent from the television is damn difficult), but the first pick in the second round is a guy that you'd expect to make an impact. The thought that second round picks are'nt expected to make a difference on your team is ludicrous. I bet Belichick values second selections almost as much as firsts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling : Sorry, on this one I don't fully agree. Some positions often call for more experience before a player gets meaningful time. Clearly it is NOT a rule but you just see fewer players at some positions step in as rookies. QB is the obvious one. In this offense WR is another. In a BB D OLB and DBs also. McCourty started as a rookie and he isnt the first. But it requires either an unusual player or a real lack of depth or quality. I wouldnt say we shouldnt see Dowling play but I would not expect a rookie CB, especially with the first three of Bodden, McCourty and Arrington, to see much time. And if he is to see time I would not expect it till the last third of the season or so. Still, I would be happy if he is good enough and sees the field as long as it is not due to injuries.
    Posted by portfolio1

Again, this just isn't based in reality. Cornerback is one position where a players with good skills and technique have been repeatedly able to make a big impact as rookies in recent years. In fact, Ourlads Scouting Service ranks it third, behind RB and FB, among positions where rookies can and do make significant impacts. http://www.ourlads.com/suddenimpact/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by e4smith

I'm sorry but I don't completely agree with that. I think it's misguided to expect him to perform as a starter which is what the typical expectations for a high draft pick are. I think he was trying to temper expectations from McCourty's incredible performance last year. But, I do expect him to play as a nickel CB in his first year.

I agree it's not to much to think a #33 pick could contribute to the team this year I just don't expect him to perform to his college level of stats and if he struggles at first I'll chalk it up to adjustment to BB system which is hard for CB's to get use to

Also, BB said that CB was one of the hardest positions to translate from college. Where this comes into play with the article you posted is that BB asks a lot from his CBs (hence why he went through so many before finding McCourty). When I see that CB makes the 3rd biggest impact I have to take a look at the teams drafting those CB's. Most of the time it's teams that have a starting position open for the rook to slide into and usually by a defensive weak team in the secondary that run man coverage more then zone. Man is closer to college level of play so I would expect that athletic and talented CB's could make an immediate impact and would transition faster in those schemes. Usually you see CB's on teams that play more zone take a year or two before moving up to the starting position. Which is also why you typically see zone teams pick up vets to fill the holes instead of drafting them. Vets experienced in zone coverage tend to make a bigger immediate impact then a rook that needs to develop. I guess the thinking is why use a high pick on someone who will take time to develop in a zone system when you can grab someone raw in the later rounds and do the same thing. But, with BB he thinks long term and doesn't mind spending high if the talent is there given the depth already on the team

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

In Response to Re: Ras-i Dowling : Don't argue with Nickc. He played High School football and knows more than anybody.
    Posted by PatsareNumberone

LMF AO  You have to love when people bring up the " I played High School football " card.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

yeah, dowling and vereen are 2nd round picks, not developmental projects. they are expected to produce.
    Posted by arodrambone

Running backs often just get the rock and hit the hole.  IF Vereen can block for Brady, so much the better, but Vereen should see action early. 

Cornerback is different.  Cornerbacks often need time to catch up to all the tricks and tough defenses of the NFL.  Exception:  McCourty.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

You'd expect a high pick to contribute. The level that contribution is tempered by his skil,abiltyto learn and apply it, and depth at the position. McCourty was thrown into the fire and had an amazing year. Don't know if Ras will get that opportunity. I expect he will see the field, and like some, like to see him get some work at safety.He would seem like a nice compliment to Chung.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

That's just incredibly misguided. Anything from the 33rd pick is not "found money." He should be expected to perform -- in his first year.

33rd pick is a first rounder. they get hurt though. A shortened year, no OTA's and minicamps. it happens. Facts are that he's hurt and not available right now. Our other first round pick makes up for it and one of our second rounders make up for the other one. We get another extra second rounder and another first next year. If we hit on one of each of those then its a win. Lets not  expect anything out of this guy due to injury. If he can play and contribute then its a bonus at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts