RAS I

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: RAS I

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm expecting nothing. This way if he contributes I'll be pleasantly surprised and if he doesn't, so what. 

That's actually a good way to view life.

Ras played up until his final year at Virginia virtually injury free, was durable and talented. Saying the Pat's should have tested him for injury or done more towards due diligence is idiotic.  How do you test for torn thigh muscles or displaced hip injury, the short answer is you don't.  The guy is a tall corner, these guys are very easy to injure.  He may never stay healthy, the football gods will decide...

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Agree that anything Dowling brings is a bonus, and I think when he played he showed enough, esp. in press coverage. 

Sometimes we forget just how physical a league the NFL is.  We get down on guys for getting hurt and no one is more disappointed than the guys who suffer the injuries.  These are probably some of the toughest guys on the planet playing in the NFL, and they all want to make some money in a short career.  As someone who has been involved in sport my whole life, I can remember concussions, sprains, torn muscles, bruised ribs and dislocated fingers.  I can honestly say that it is incredible that these NFL guys are so beat up and play at the level they do with those injuries.  Before beating up Chung, Ras-I or any other NFL guy in these posts, let's not pretend that we'd do any better dealing with the injuries they do.  Getting off the soap box now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1531290-can-ras-i-dowling-make-the-third-year-leap-for-the-new-england-patriots

Good article on Ras I 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Remember when Ras I shut-down Brandon Marshall on three consecutive plays at the goal-line of the 2011/2012 opener? The guy is very good and has loads of talents. If he can stay healthy, he'll be very good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Mooney12's comment:

If healthy how big of a role will he play in the secondary. Is there a possibility he becomes an above average corner.

There were times when he was the best CB on the field for the Pats.  Just can't stay healthly.  I think his skill set is abover average for a CB and then he has natural size that just adds to the package.  I just hope he can stay healthly while playing in a back up role this season.  Dennard, Talib, Arrington, Dowling is a pretty good 4 at the CB spot.  Let's not forget about more cuts to come as well.  I'd really like the Pats to take a flier on Grimmes.  I mean how is this guy still on the market.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Talent is irrelevant if the guy can't play.  

My prediction is that he will predictably get injured early, probably before traning camp is over, and will not be on the team next year and not in the NFL the year after.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to BrianKangu's comment:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1531290-can-ras-i-dowling-make-the-third-year-leap-for-the-new-england-patriots

Good article on Ras I 

Thanks for posting that article. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

lets just all hope he stays healthy and can contibute on defense. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If there is one thing I am sure about it is that I dont have any idea whether Dowling will help the team or not!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Would'nt surprise me one bit if he gets cut at some point before the season even starts... ala Crable..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I'm expecting nothing. This way if he contributes I'll be pleasantly surprised and if he doesn't, so what.

where i sit as well

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Would'nt surprise me one bit if he gets cut at some point before the season even starts... ala Crable..

i could see that (wonder what the cost is) or if he gets ired again hes gone

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

In response to Mooney12's comment:

If healthy how big of a role will he play in the secondary. Is there a possibility he becomes an above average corner.

There were times when he was the best CB on the field for the Pats.  Just can't stay healthly.  I think his skill set is abover average for a CB and then he has natural size that just adds to the package.  I just hope he can stay healthly while playing in a back up role this season.  Dennard, Talib, Arrington, Dowling is a pretty good 4 at the CB spot.  Let's not forget about more cuts to come as well.  I'd really like the Pats to take a flier on Grimmes.  I mean how is this guy still on the market.

been wanting him as part of 2 cb off season sigings. dont knwo if we have room for him and  abraham want abraham first priority then a cb

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

That's actually a good way to view life.

Ras played up until his final year at Virginia virtually injury free, was durable and talented. Saying the Pat's should have tested him for injury or done more towards due diligence is idiotic.  How do you test for torn thigh muscles or displaced hip injury, the short answer is you don't.  The guy is a tall corner, these guys are very easy to injure.  He may never stay healthy, the football gods will decide...

"Saying the Pat's should have tested him for injury or done more towards due diligence is idiotic. "

really?

your statement says a lot about lack of perspective. one could call your statement "idiotic".

the draft is nothing but making assessments and making judgemnets on talent, character, durability, etc.

pats whihffed on durability of ras i. (so far) maybe it will swing the other way on him. i hope it does.

you may be a little too flippant with our word choice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

I'm expecting big things this year from Ras I and Crable.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Right now Ras is just a dream of what could have been. It is time to move on....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

Right now Ras is just a dream of what could have been. It is time to move on....

Not quite yet... Give him one more chance to stay healthy and if he cant or if he doesnt play well, then cut him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

I feel the same way. He's talented but can't stay on the field. I saw him play a game at VA, looked good but had to leave the game due to injury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Honestly, I didn't think he looked all that great when he played last year.  This is not to say he isn't talented, but I don't think he's developed much.  He needs to get on the field and learn how to play in the NFL or he's never going anywhere. 

You know from a draft stand point he had all the talent, the athleticism, and the size but I just couldn't get over his injures and really didn't like the pick at all. The sad part is, this offseason I think they really need a #4 CB that can play outside or in as depth and can take over for Talib next year (relly don't want Arrington to go outsde when Talib gets injured). Ras could be that guy but I wouldn't trust him in the least so im we need to draft someone to fill that role and maybe run 6 CB's deep and give Ras one last year to try to stay healthy. Of course I'd also dump Cole in camp as I don't think he provides anything but being a ST player and imo we already have like 5 pure STers on the team (Ebner, Kout, Tarp, Washington, Slater) why do we need a 6th?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

+ 1 Eng

Not sure what bb sees in these often injured players. 

Think about the ripple effect dowling for example has had. If dowling stayed healthy and payed to his draft position, do the pats trade for Talib, giving up a 4th round pick? Do they pay Talib basically 5m for 1 year? Who could have we brought in for that 5m? Coud we have kept welker, or signed a good DT? Basically, blowing the Ras pick has giant ripple effects on this team. I won't even mention what the ripple effect of Chung, brace, Wheatley, butler, price, crable, mckenzie, etc, etc have had.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think people are forgetting that he had a bad training camp and looked really bad in the 2 games he actually played in. either he wasnt really recovered from the hip or he took the infamous Patriots CB second year regression. but he had another major injury before any questions were answered. i think his chances of making the team are very slim and an actual impact even lower. serious dud of a pick, we could have had sheard or brooks reed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Honestly, I didn't think he looked all that great when he played last year.  This is not to say he isn't talented, but I don't think he's developed much.  He needs to get on the field and learn how to play in the NFL or he's never going anywhere. 

You know from a draft stand point he had all the talent, the athleticism, and the size but I just couldn't get over his injures and really didn't like the pick at all. The sad part is, this offseason I think they really need a #4 CB that can play outside or in as depth and can take over for Talib next year (relly don't want Arrington to go outsde when Talib gets injured). Ras could be that guy but I wouldn't trust him in the least so im we need to draft someone to fill that role and maybe run 6 CB's deep and give Ras one last year to try to stay healthy. Of course I'd also dump Cole in camp as I don't think he provides anything but being a ST player and imo we already have like 5 pure STers on the team (Ebner, Kout, Tarp, Washington, Slater) why do we need a 6th?

Ive been potignthe same all over the baord for the last month or so. you may or may not have noticed. havent seen you say you agree, just posting the same or simialr thought.

only wiht so few picks, i prefer to get the cb in fa. and focus in pass rush and 2 big outside wrs inthe draft

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

+ 1 Eng

Think about the ripple effect dowling for example has had. If dowling stayed healthy and payed to his draft position, do the pats trade for Talib, giving up a 4th round pick? Do they pay Talib basically 5m for 1 year? Who could have we brought in for that 5m? Coud we have kept welker, or signed a good DT? Basically, blowing the Ras pick has giant ripple effects on this team. I won't even mention what the ripple effect of Chung, brace, Wheatley, butler, price, crable, mckenzie, etc, etc have had.

nice points other than  not having enough money was not the reason bb moved on for welker

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

+ 1 Eng

Hey Lifer,

for me draft picks are going to fail, it's a given. I can't blame him on Chung, Wheatley, Brace, Butler because you won't hit on every pick. Even someone like Crable isn't a bad pick late in the 3rd because occassionally you find players with real talent who dropped from injury or other things (Cannon, Hern, Dennard) so a late 3rd isn't bad since most don't make it anyways. But, Ras was pick #33 that's pretty much a late round pick. We should have starter expectations for someone picked that high. That BB knowing took an injury risk that high is stunning to me. It's not like Gronk who had a freak injury in college (though his bones are proving to be brittle), a lot of Ras's injures were mostly muscle and tender issues which kept on coming back to haunt him. That should have sent up a red flag. I can't blame BB for failed draft picks because everyone has them but I will blame him for ignoring red flags with an early draft pick or drafting the same type of players over and over again and expecting different results (C. Jackson, C Johnson, B Tate, Price, Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler)

Sections
Shortcuts