Rate this years Patriots team going into the playoffs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Rate this years Patriots team going into the playoffs.

As it looks now, most key players are healthy, haven't heard much about Dennard.  Gronk should be pretty good right now if he has confidence in his arm and isn't trying to protect his arm all game.  Niko sounds like he is ok, was seen running and jumoping at practice. So where does this team rate compared to other Patriots teams?

Stat wise, the offense and defense is better then last season.  The offense is better then the 2007 offense, imagine that!  The offense has more weapons then they ever have had.  But what about the defense?

Where does this years Patriots team rate as a team compared to other Patriots teams?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Rate this years Patriots team going into the playoffs.

Offensively it compares to the 04' team imo. Defensively it could be between the 01' and 07' team respectively. 01' team in just how oppertunistic it can be to kill drives and that teams can get yards but they ratchet it down inside the 30's. 07' in that when the front 7 gets pressure they can control the game but when they can't get pressure the secondary can be exploited

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So is this the best combined (2012 offense, 2012 defense) team in Patriots history?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

So is this the best combined (2012 offense, 2012 defense) team in Patriots history?

i still think 2007 was the best pats team.....but this team is similar to the 2004 team i guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Can't just compare statistics because of rule changes and how the league has changed overall throughout the last decade.

IMO

1. 2004 team. Allowed 3 points to the best offense in the playoffs and scored over 40 on the road against the best defense. That offense reminds me a bit of the SEA offense from this season. Physical runner who was a workhorse, solid but not great receivers, and a QB who could make the necessary throughs. Most importantly, this team could beat you in so many different ways. They played their best in the playoffs, and that's what makes them number 1.

2. 2007 team. Probably the most talented team the Patriots had. 4 Deep at Wr, 1 of them having one of the best seasons for a WR. Defense was solid. Had that Seymour/Wilfork/Warren line with the 4 veteran LBs. Secondary wasn't bad, Samuel had a good season. Should be the number 1 team, but even taking out the Super Bowl game, they did not play their best during the post season.

3. 2012 team. Story is still unfinished. However, I don't think this defense is capable of completely shutting down a great offense. The offense is definitely up there, just not sure I'm sold on this defense. That game at home against the 49ers was a setback. I know the 2004 Pats lost to MIA late in Dec, but that was more of a trap game. That 49er game was a big game, a game the 2004 Pats probably would not lose. A good showing the post season could definitely change my opinion though!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

i still think 2007 was the best pats team

Agreed.  I believe they hold the NFL record for point differential.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Best offense ever.  Best defense since 2007.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The best all around team to me would be 04'. All 3 sides of the game could win you the game. They had a top 5 O, a top 5 D, and a top 5 ST's. IMO if you put the 04' team against the 07' team they would win 6 out of 10 times because I think that D would give the Pats fits similar to the Giants team and I think the 04' O would put up a score in the mid to upper 20's against the 07' D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This team has a better run game and a nice stable of backs who are used in a good manner. Other than that, this Defense is a bit better because they chose to be more agressive down the stretch but the difference between wining and losing a SB (if we get there ) is coaching. Last 2 SB's we had enough talent to win but we were outcoached. Luckily no Giants this year so if we make it to the SB, atleast we know Coughlin wont be there to outcoach BB

I like how the defense has stepped up in some games but even with a better D is doesnt garauntee anything because we could always revert back to soft zone in postseason and get burnt so im reserving my feeling until after we play our 1st game. 2011 we got much better in postseason but we were on the field ALL SB on defense and thats due to coaching IMO.

The SB before that I recall the Pats sending the same old stale Safety blitz from Whiffyweather all game from the same side while B.Jacobs continued to stonewall him. So you came into the game with only one blitz!!?? and didnt thk to change up after you saw it wasnt effective??  Then when you have Eli running around crazy and getting pressured on the last drive with 4 and 5 man rushes, you blitz the house at the 10 yard line and leave Hobbs one on one with Plaxx and Nobody got home on that blitz!

ON offense , both games the Giants used BB's bend but dont break philosophy against him by only looking to dink and dunk(something we give up) down the field and get 1st downs and eat up clock to keep Brady sidelined and it worked. This last SB was worse because the D had no 3 and outs and that worked to perfection as the Gmen didnt score as much as us in reg. season  so it worked to their favor. So I dont care how good the D looks in december because if BB plays passive, we will be looking at the same results..

Sections
Shortcuts