Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    My thoughts are- your report cards are must reads. Great attention to the game. I missed your previous report cards this year somehow. Agree with all your grades. Ben Watson is looking better. A couple of really solid receptions for him. So good to have Wes back. Just watching him run his routes is fun. How about the new Ravens coach? He was entertainment on the sidelines... Seems like all the Raven coaches are cut from the same cloth- mad men. Good win!
    Posted by darwk

darwk:

How have you been my friend?!! Long time no hear!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

These are very special times and we aught to grade them based on their totality and not the emotion of just one game. BB and Brady are hall of famers. Regardless of how they play in their next game or the rest of this season.  They are hall of famers.   Very few cities in the history of the NFL have enjoyed a decade like the the Patriots have achieved.  They are three time champions, and the winningest team of this century.  They deserve better treatment from the press and their fans.       
    Posted by proftom

Come now, Proftom. So, if the Pats lose 51-0 next week against Denver, I'm supposed to give the team straight "A's" because of what they've done in the past? I really expected more from a man who uses a great photo of the Stooges as his calling card.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD : Bellicheat is as much of a HOF as Pete Rose is. The Superbowl victories will always have a (*).
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid

"Bellicheat"??!! Oh, how original of you, you silly purple savage!! LOL!!!     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I understand by all reports that the refs deserved an "F" for Sundays pats/Ravens game. You LUCKY sons of b itches!I saw the Suggs hit and thought it was a great defensive play!The other roughing penalty was joke!If you know anything about the game you would have to agree me on that point! But your pats fans...........so I won't hold my breath waiting for a response!
    Posted by Leon961

Hey Leon...how bout them J...E...T...S, Jets, Jets, Jets!!! Can't wait to see how they manage to crash and burn in the stretch run this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD : Keep drinking that kool aid, purple, because only in your mind is there an asterisk and Belichick is a lock for HoF.
    Posted by agcsbill

agc:

Purple Koolaid is champagne to guys from Baltimore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
          Any win is a "good" win...but especially when it comes against a team, who many already wish to award this years' Lombardi. The Ravens are a very good team...but their defense is overrated. Their front seven is tough to run on...but their secondary, with or without Ed Reed, can be had. So, lets' not get too carried away with this win. The Pats' offense and defense still have a long way to go, if they hope to make it to the big game. Here are my grades:      A.) OFFENSE: Anytime the "O" scores over 25 points, it should be enough to win. It was surprising to see that Tom Brady was blitzed so little...as it appeared that the Ravens were intent to deny the Pats the big play, and to drop the LBs back in coverage to aid a somewhat suspect secondary.  1.) QB: Tom Brady produced a 100.8 passer rating, in completing just 21 of 32 passes for 258 yards, and a TD. No interceptions were a plus, but Tom fumbled when blindsided by Terrell Suggs, handing the Ravens a gift TD. A workman-like day for Tom, as he distributed the ball to several receivers. Great throw by a pressured Brady to Randy Moss, putting the Pats up 24-14. Redzone problems still persist, though the Pats were 3/5 in the red area. The team had opportunities to put the game away on their final drive. Having to settle for a FG nearly cost them dearly. All in all, considering the quality of the competition, this Tom Brady's best game of the season. GRADE: B; 2.) RBs: Nice TD run by Sammy Morris was this group's highlight. Sammy also had 5 receptions for 35 yards. But, having little running room to negotiate, the backs gained just 85 yards on 30 carries...an average of 2.8 yards per carry. Though the amount of yards gained were low, the "O" managed to keep the Ravens' "D" honest by not giving up on the run. GRADE: C; 3.) OL: Matt Light had another one of "those games"...as Ravens' DE/OLB Terrell Suggs terrorized Tom Brady for a good part of the afternoon. As mentioned previously, Suggs was able to blindside Brady, resulting in a fumble, and an easy defensive TD by Baltimore. The Ravens managed 3 sacks. Though the big uglies were able to hold their own somewhat, gaining just 2.8 yards per run is unacceptable. Still, they were able to get enough of a push to pick up a huge first down on a 4th and one in the redzone, on the Pats' initial TD drive: GRADE: C+; 4.) WRs and TEs: Great to have Wes Welker back. He led the Pats with 6 receptions, albeit just for 48 yards. TE Ben Watson chipped in with two catches for 51 yards, and Randy Moss had 3 for 50, including a nice adjustment on a rushged Brady throw for the Pats' 3rd TD. The Patriots need to find a third WR. Neither Joey Galloway, or Sam Aiken is the answer. GRADE: C+;      B.) DEFENSE: Don't be so quick to praise the defense. Yes, they stymied the Ravens on two 4th down attempts...and allowed just two TDs. But, consider this...the Ravens amassed 363 total yards, were 9/14 on third down conversions, RB Ray Rice had a combined 152 yards (albeit 50 of those came on one run up the middle)...and, but for a drop by Mark Clayton, the game might have been lost. Failing to defense the "two-minute offense" cost the Pats championships in 2006 and 2007...and nearly cost them the game today.  1.) DL:  Surprising to see the Ravens pass so much! Of their 24 first downs, 18 came through the air. Other than the long run by Ray Rice (which appeared to be a situation in which the Pats were caught in the wrong defensive scheme), the boys up front seemed to handle themselves fairly well. Mike Wright registered two sacks, as the Pats were able to mount some pressure on Flacco. Great stand on the fourth quarter 4th and 1 around mid-field. GRADE: B; 2.) LBs: Help is needed here. Rumor has it that the Pats have Junior Seau warming up in the bullpen, again. Though Gary Guyton has generally played well, and Tully Banta Cain has had his moments, theres' not much production from these guys. Good job in helping to defend against TE Todd Heap. But, screens and passes to RBs Willis MaGahee and Ray Rice hurt.  GRADE: C-; 3.) SECONDARY:  Brandon Meriweather is emerging as a star. He led his team in tackles, and registered several hard hits. The undercut hit on Derrick Mason by Jonathan Wilhite on the Ravens' initial TD pretty much took Mason out of the game, after he had been consistently burning the backliners. It also appeared that Ravens' WR Mark Clayton took his eye off the ball on the fourth quarter 4th down drop, when he saw Meriweather coming his way. Brandon McGowan has also been a bit of an intimidator. Leigh Bodden had a pick...and generally kept things quiet on his side of the field. Shawn Springs, however, is a bit of a different story. Rookie CB Darius Butler continues to make progress. GRADE: B+;      C.) SPECIAL TEAMS: Causing and recovering a fumble on the initial kickoff was huge...and set momentum going in the right direction. But, the Pats were fortunate not to lose a Kevin Faulk fumble on a subsequent punt return. Usual reliable Stephen Gostkowski performance. Punter Chris Hansen needs to do a bit better than averaging 38 yards per punt. GRADE: B;      D.) COACHING: Another fine job by BB. Pats were wise not to give up on the run...and had a 30/32 balance on run/passes, over 62 plays. Great decision to go for it on 4th and one in the redzone...and not settle for yet another FG. Nice call, and good execution on the Morris TD run. Pats' appeared to be caught in the wrong defense...or was there a missed assignment...on the long Rice run? The offense is beginning to find some consistency, and the Pats' young secondary is beginning to shape up. BB needs to find a 3rd WR to compliment Moss and Welker. Why not give Terrence Nunn a try? GRADE: B+       E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: Hard to pick just one play in a game like this one. But, if pressed, I'll choose the 4th and one first down conversion, early in the game. It set the tone for the game, and put the Pats in command .      F.) PLAYER OF THE GAME: Brandon Meriweather.      Here are the stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291004017      Thoughts?                      
    Posted by TexasPat3

For what it's worth Tex,I appreciate the time and effort you put into the posts on this board every week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

A+ to the Zebras. I thought those penalties for hurting your QB Nancy's feelings were timely. Ngata and Suggs were wrong to commit those penalties considering it was national breast day and pink was the theme of game. Brady had to go into the locker room in the middle of the game to change his maxi-pad. Shame on the Ravens for hurting his feelings and right-on to the refs for putting them in their place and restoring Nancy's confidence. You go girls!
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid

So you're saying yout rantin and ravin team got beat by a bunch of girls?
    $ucks to be you, ha?  Looks like all the crying is on your side!Cry

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      agc:      Purple Koolaid is champagne to guys from Baltimore.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Actually, it is Natty Boh beer, the kool aid of champagnes for this guy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I understand by all reports that the refs deserved an "F" for Sundays pats/Ravens game. You LUCKY sons of b itches!I saw the Suggs hit and thought it was a great defensive play!The other roughing penalty was joke!If you know anything about the game you would have to agree me on that point! But your pats fans...........so I won't hold my breath waiting for a response!
    Posted by Leon961

So Leona,  HOW MUCH DID YOU LOOSE THIS WEEK?  LOLOLOLOL HOW ARE YA?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD : For what it's worth Tex,I appreciate the time and effort you put into the posts on this board every week.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-

Thanks, cow. Are you back in the saddle again at work?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      Thanks, cow. Are you back in the saddle again at work?
    Posted by TexasPat3

Oh yeah,I've been back to work for  a long time now. I'm on a schedule right now where I'm on call so I'm in and out at strange hours.It's why I came back to the forums.Gotta kill time between calls.I'm also taking a couple of college classes,trying to finish my B.S. That's why I took the call out schedule,they let me have the days off I needed for the classes.Thanks for asking and remembering. Take care Tex.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Thanks as usual, TexPat;

Just a couple comments, it seems that every year, the Pats improve as the season develops (except maybe the almost-perfect season - I thought that they were starting to wear down at the end). Its one of the things I really admire about them. 

I think it was great to see the Pats match or exceed the Raven's physicality, and the offense really has gotten more in sync week by week. That they are showing improvement overall against better competition is also encouraging. Their intensity and focus seemed higher during this game than the previous 3. The Defense too is starting to impress; despite the stats - they came up big during big moments in the game. I actually think the drop at the end was partially due to the speed that the ball arrived and partially due to the receiver (was it Mason?) worying about getting hit - he was getting punished all game. Of course, maybe I'm just projecting :)

I came out of the game with a lot of respect for Flacco - he was really getting hit hard (how about that sandwich hit he took in the 2nd half - man, that hurt me just watching it), but he kept coming back and made some great throws - he's a tough kid and a good QB, no doubt. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Thanks as usual, TexPat; Just a couple comments, it seems that every year, the Pats improve as the season develops (except maybe the almost-perfect season - I thought that they were starting to wear down at the end). Its one of the things I really admire about them.  I think it was great to see the Pats match or exceed the Raven's physicality, and the offense really has gotten more in sync week by week. That they are showing improvement overall against better competition is also encouraging. Their intensity and focus seemed higher during this game than the previous 3. The Defense too is starting to impress; despite the stats - they came up big during big moments in the game. I actually think the drop at the end was partially due to the speed that the ball arrived and partially due to the receiver (was it Mason?) worying about getting hit - he was getting punished all game. Of course, maybe I'm just projecting :) I came out of the game with a lot of respect for Flacco - he was really getting hit hard (how about that sandwich hit he took in the 2nd half - man, that hurt me just watching it), but he kept coming back and made some great throws - he's a tough kid and a good QB, no doubt. 
    Posted by BelichickDisciple

Watched the replay of the Ravens/Pats on NFL Network tonight. I came away even more impressed with the physical play of the Patriots' defense...especially the secondary. It was great to see. Hope it continues. 

Flacco is good, and will get better...especially once he has some WRs to throw to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      Watched the replay of the Ravens/Pats on NFL Network tonight. I came away even more impressed with the physical play of the Patriots' defense...especially the secondary. It was great to see. Hope it continues.       Flacco is good, and will get better...especially once he has some WRs to throw to.
    Posted by TexasPat3

Flacco is good. He is done fairly well with the receivers he has. Cam Cameron is an offensive genius. I think he's helped Flacco's progression a lot. It also helps to have a good running game which the Ravens do have. The Pats defense definitely played their best game to date this season. I think both offenses had a good handle on the opposing defenses. Both Brady and Flacco had some impressive drives. Not to take anything away from Brady but has better receivers than Flacco does. I can only imagine Flacco's future when they get him some weapons. Obviously, playing Pittsburgh twice a year, they had to get Michael Oher to protect Flacco, but next year, I expect them to draft or perhaps trade for a number 1 wide receiver. Boldin and Brandon Marshall have both been linked to Baltimore. We'll see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

We lost and the Pats won a good game. The pampering of Tom Brady is ridiculus. I mean he might as well wear a bra, pink panties, and some pumps. Two BS roughing the pamper calls.  Real football players know that they were bs calls.
    Posted by bmorecityboy

The Ravens lost primarily because of three bad plays...not because of the refs. The three plays were the fumble on the opening kickoff, the interception thrown by Joe Flacco deep in Patriots territory, in the closing minutes of the first half...and the Clayton drop. Those three plays cost the Ravens 9-17 points.

On the other side of the ledger, the Patriots had only one bad play...the Brady fumble...which cost them 7 points. As is normally the case in the NFL, the team that makes the most mistakes loses.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      The Ravens lost primarily because of three bad plays...not because of the refs. The three plays were the fumble on the opening kickoff, the interception thrown by Joe Flacco deep in Patriots territory, in the closing minutes of the first half...and the Clayton drop. Those three plays cost the Ravens 9-17 points.      On the other side of the ledger, the Patriots had only one bad play...the Brady fumble...which cost them 7 points. As is normally the case in the NFL, the team that makes the most mistakes loses.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

You cannot look at the entire game and pick the plays you think that lost them the game. No one can say that. About the Clayton drop: It's a flawed argument. It's like saying in basketball that the free throw you didn't not make at the end of the game lost you the game. Why can't it be the free throw you missed in the beginning of the game?

You cannot ignore the penalties either if you want to be fair about it. Seriously: How would you feel if those penalties were called against NE and the Ravens score two touchdowns on those drives? Answer that question truthfully.

Also, I don't see you calling the Brady fumble a mistake. Granted Suggs made a great play, but Brady should have felt the pressure and stepped a couple of steps forward. Rookie like mistake.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I have to give Brady an "A" for avoiding  Suggs and staying healthy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I have to give Brady an "A" for avoiding  Suggs and staying healthy.
    Posted by Grogan77

If you saw Brett Favre's performance Monday night, or watched Peyton Manning the past three weeks...those are "A" performances. Though Tom is making progress, he hasn't played anything close to an "A" game yet. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

I'll give BB an A for the 3-1 record after the player turnover,loss of the OC Josh,injuries to key players(Welker,Mayo,ect.),tough early schedule and Brady's lackluster but greatly improving early performance

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I agree TP/Cow but I think he was referring to just that play. Overall Brady's lucky to get a C+. BB would get an A working Brady back in and dealing with injuries. 
    Welker is by far the worst timed injury, If TB needed anyone to help with his timing it was him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

I'll give BB an A for the 3-1 record after the player turnover,loss of the OC Josh,injuries to key players(Welker,Mayo,ect.),tough early schedule and Brady's lackluster but greatly improving early performance
    Posted by cowtherabbit-

i'm gonna go ahead and give randy moss the offensive mvp for the first quarter season.  he's really opened up his game working the whole field, blocking well on runs, making up for an injured welker.  the offensive line has been spotty, and brady hasn't gelled with them yet.  te's have done quite well and the running backs are above average overall catching running and blocking.

defense needs to generate some semblance of a consistent pass rush if we're going to take it to the next level.  players like ADT, derreck burgess, and TBC need to start pressuring the QB with some regularity. 

i have a feeling the growth potential for this team overall is great, whereas a team like the jets/ravens/and chargers have already peaked. 

man, the afc hasn't sucked izzass like this in a while...

Sections
Shortcuts