Ravens CB: 49ers are 'fake tough guys'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Ravens CB: 49ers are 'fake tough guys'

Real Classy winners these Ravens !!!

After the game, Williams called out the Niners for being phonies.

“The 49ers are pretenders,” he said, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “They’re fake tough guys. They’re a push you in the back type of team.”

Over the past few years, one of the most popular insults in sports has been calling an opponent a “fake tough guy.” Thanks to Baltimore Ravens cornerback Cary Williams (No. 29 in above photo), the phrase was used once again after America’s biggest sporting event.

The Ravens were able to score points against the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII, which is something teams had very little success doing during the regular season. After the game, Williams called out the Niners for being phonies.

“The 49ers are pretenders,” he said, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “They’re fake tough guys. They’re a push you in the back type of team.”

There was a lot of chippiness and pushing and shoving throughout the game, but it was the Super Bowl. Rather than talking smack about his opponent and winning without class, Williams probably should have been counting his blessings that he wasn’t ejected after shoving a referee in the first half.

Personally, I’m not a fan of players rubbing salt in the wound after beating a team. The Ravens have done it before as well, with Terrell Suggs unloading on the New England Patriots after the AFC Championship Game. When you beat a team, there isn’t much you have to say. That’s the idea behind letting the play do the talking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Ravens CB: 49ers are 'fake tough guys'

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Real Classy winners these Ravens !!!

Ravens CB: 49ers are 'fake tough guys' Found 13 hours ago on Larry Brown Sports: Yardbarker Blogger Network PLAYERS: Cary WilliamsTerrell Suggs
    TEAMS: Baltimore RavensNew England Patriots  

Via Larry Brown Sports:

Oh no he didn’t! Over the past few years, one of the most popular insults in sports has been calling an opponent a “fake tough guy.” Thanks to Baltimore Ravens cornerback Cary Williams (No. 29 in above photo), the phrase was used once again after America’s biggest sporting event.

The Ravens were able to score points against the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII, which is something teams had very little success doing during the regular season. After the game, Williams called out the Niners for being phonies.

There was a lot of chippiness and pushing and shoving throughout the game, but it was the Super Bowl. Rather than talking smack about his opponent and winning without class, Williams probably should have been counting his blessings that he wasn’t ejected after shoving a referee in the first half.

Personally, I’m not a fan of players rubbing salt in the wound after beating a team. The Ravens have done it before as well, with Terrell Suggs unloading on the New England Patriots after the AFC Championship Game. When you beat a team, there isn’t much you have to say. That’s the idea behind letting the play do the talking.

more street thug bs...yo i gotta be frontin'

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Garbage team. Hopefully they will never see a SB again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

They earned the right they talk. There's a reason why most indifferent fans don't like them.

For as much crap the Pats get from outsiders, at least they don't rub it in their opponents faces after a playoff win. And I'm pretty sure they don't whine like the 49ers players and coach were after the game.

Oh well. At least Cromartie, Rex, Braylon and Bart Scott are still ringless

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

They earned the right they talk. There's a reason why most indifferent fans don't like them.

For as much crap the Pats get from outsiders, at least they don't rub it in their opponents faces after a playoff win. And I'm pretty sure they don't whine like the 49ers players and coach were after the game.

No matter what you win, you don't win the right to be garbage, and the ratbirds are that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

==========================================

Whining???..the following is not from a biased sports reporter from the "SF Chronicle" but form the Boston Staff.

Bad no-call sours Super Bowl loss for 49ers 

020413crabtree607.jpg

San Francisco wide receiver Michael Crabtree coudln't reach a pass because he was impeded by Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith, left, while safety Ed Reed shadowed in coverage. (Jeff Haynes / REUTERS)

By Zuri Berry, Boston.com Staff

"I never would have thought we would be talking about a non-call in the Super Bowl again. At least not so soon.

But in a season that began with replacement referees and ended on a 4th and 5 hold -- and yes, it was a hold -- one has to seriously be concerned with the state of officiating.

The San Francisco 49ers fan base was sent into a tailspin after an infraction on Michael Crabtree's possible game-winning touchdown went uncalled. It was one in a series of bad no-calls in Super Bowl XLVII."

I think brother John is a better coach. The safety play to burn almost 10 seconds and avoid 49ers from being able to toss up a Hail Mary was brilliant as kicking from the end zone Niners might have blocked it or had the ball at the 30-40 yard line.

I blame him for the loss last year vs the dredded Giants. After the ball hits the knee of the receiver and lets NY recover & tie the game, in OT put in Gore or someone more sure handed but not the same receiver as gun shy, he fumbles again and a gift field goal wins the game.

This year  I also blame Harbaugh for the loss as if 49ers scored at the end, all the calls/non calls issues would have been moot ! First and 7 he calls a running play & gets 2. So has 3 downs to get 5 yards. It's 2 min 20 sec and he lets clock run down burning the 20 secs. No diversity in 3 plays all passes to Crabtree.  No read option. No quarterback scramble. No targets for Vernon Davis or even Randy Moss. But Gore who had 100+ yards & Kaep had 60+ should have run the ball at least on 2nd & 3rd downs.

Burning those 20 secs was tremendous overconfidence they were  to score & he wants no time left on the clock. I prefer to get the score and then, yup, there's still a min or so where good defense is needed as they did in the Atlanta game. But if they don't score & hold Balt as they did from the 5 yard line, they would have had 20 more secs & maybe 2 pass plays Hail Mary's or not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Did you all hear that Billick said on Mike & Mike that he thought that last play should have had defensive holding called.  Also, all the holding that happened during the punt when the Ravens' punter was running around the EZ?  Talk about having the refs pockets the flags at the wrong time.  It is one thing to let an iffy call go, but clear violations..  I am certain there are many 49'ers fans who thought the fix was in to end that game to allow the Ravens to win that game for Lewis.  If the Ravens can get a PI call on that drive to extend it for their final FG, why not the 49'ers?  Hmmmmmmmm.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

==========================================

Whining???..the following is not from a biased sports reporter from the "SF Chronicle" but form the Boston Staff.

Bad no-call sours Super Bowl loss for 49ers 

020413crabtree607.jpg

San Francisco wide receiver Michael Crabtree coudln't reach a pass because he was impeded by Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith, left, while safety Ed Reed shadowed in coverage. (Jeff Haynes / REUTERS)

By Zuri Berry, Boston.com Staff

"I never would have thought we would be talking about a non-call in the Super Bowl again. At least not so soon.

But in a season that began with replacement referees and ended on a 4th and 5 hold -- and yes, it was a hold -- one has to seriously be concerned with the state of officiating.

The San Francisco 49ers fan base was sent into a tailspin after an infraction on Michael Crabtree's possible game-winning touchdown went uncalled. It was one in a series of bad no-calls in Super Bowl XLVII."

I think brother John is a better coach. The safety play to burn almost 10 seconds and avoid 49ers from being able to toss up a Hail Mary was brilliant as kicking from the end zone Niners might have blocked it or had the ball at the 30-40 yard line.

I blame him for the loss last year vs the dredded Giants. After the ball hits the knee of the receiver and lets NY recover & tie the game, in OT put in Gore or someone more sure handed but not the same receiver as gun shy, he fumbles again and a gift field goal wins the game.

This year  I also blame Harbaugh for the loss as if 49ers scored at the end, all the calls/non calls issues would have been moot ! First and 7 he calls a running play & gets 2. So has 3 downs to get 5 yards. It's 2 min 20 sec and he lets clock run down burning the 20 secs. No diversity in 3 plays all passes to Crabtree.  No read option. No quarterback scramble. No targets for Vernon Davis or even Randy Moss. But Gore who had 100+ yards & Kaep had 60+ should have run the ball at least on 2nd & 3rd downs.

Burning those 20 secs was tremendous overconfidence they were  to score & he wants no time left on the clock. I prefer to get the score and then, yup, there's still a min or so where good defense is needed as they did in the Atlanta game. But if they don't score & hold Balt as they did from the 5 yard line, they would have had 20 more secs & maybe 2 pass plays Hail Mary's or not.

Didn't realize these writers were part of the organization

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Had to be the dumb azz that shoved a ref and did not get flagged or ejected. That's an automatic ejection. He should just STFU and be happy he got to finish the game, and that his team won the superbowl even though the 49ers went up and down the field on them all 2nd half before botching a 1st and goal possession to win the game.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Forgot to add...  the Ravens, or rather some of the players, did the same after they defeated the Patriots and do it again after defeating the 49'ers.  No where else have we seen quotes attributed to a victorious team which demeans their defeated opponent.  It is sad the Ravens organization is known for that slight of their opponent. 

Sections
Shortcuts