Ravens: Comparing common opponents.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents.

Don't think any comapairison with the regular season holds water right now, Pats are peaking as much as the Steelers were diving. But I hope the pronosticators at ESPN and our opponents are using these compairisons.

The Patriots defense has finally the right personell on the field and continutity in the secondary for 2 weeks prior to this. They had their ups and downs but have quickly morphed into the unit I thought they would by around week 9-10 but due to injuries and player turnover did not. They are back to where most BB defenses are about 7-10 in the league without a season stats to prove it.

I have no way of proving it either but feel pretty sure their recent success was not a fluke and not due to the Broncos being terrible.

Secondly their offense in the past couple games has shown the creativity and the type of plays to get pressure off Brady and keep prssure off Brady. Games they struggled and practically got Brady killed only featured a plain vanilla predictable runnining attack that di not fool anyone or take pressure off.

The O-line is much stanger anhealthier than in past years.

What I am saying is they are peaking, and cannot be anything but underestimated by the Ravens ...I like where they are. Using season long metric on this team will not yield very accurate predictions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Ravens: Comparing common opponents.:
    [QUOTE]These two teams had 5 games against teams the other team played. Let's compare. (2 games against a common opponent expressed as an average.) Both teams were 4-1 against these common opponents. Ravens: Ravens 29 Steelers 13.5 (avg. of 2 games) Ravens 34 Jets 17 Ravens 24 Colts 10 Ravens 14 Chargers 34 Patriots: Pats 17 Steelers 25 Pats 33.5 Jets 18.5 (avg. of 2 games) Pats 31 Colts 24 Pats 35 Chargers 21 Results: Ravens 25.25 Opponents 18.62 Pats 29.125 Opponents 22.125 The Ravens allowed 3.5 points less. The Pats scored 3.9 points more. Both teams scored about one TD more on average than their opponent. In the end it will probably come down to home field advantage with the Pats winning by one score. Pats 27 Ravens 24 sounds about right.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe, great analysis. Some of the best I've ever seen on this board.

But I think Patriots win 35-14

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Ravens: Comparing common opponents. : Babe, great analysis. Some of the best I've ever seen on this board. But I think Patriots win 35-14
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

35-9. Only three field goals by the Magpies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]hurry up offense and wear those old guys down quickly
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

I agree, and use Rdiley alot on the edge to really wear down their LBs, so we take advantage of the middle with our TEs.

Then try some deep stuff here and there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Ravens: Comparing common opponents.:
    [QUOTE]These two teams had 5 games against teams the other team played. Let's compare. (2 games against a common opponent expressed as an average.) Both teams were 4-1 against these common opponents. Ravens: Ravens 29 Steelers 13.5 (avg. of 2 games) Ravens 34 Jets 17 Ravens 24 Colts 10 Ravens 14 Chargers 34 Patriots: Pats 17 Steelers 25 Pats 33.5 Jets 18.5 (avg. of 2 games) Pats 31 Colts 24 Pats 35 Chargers 21 Results: Ravens 25.25 Opponents 18.62 Pats 29.125 Opponents 22.125 The Ravens allowed 3.5 points less. The Pats scored 3.9 points more. Both teams scored about one TD more on average than their opponent. In the end it will probably come down to home field advantage with the Pats winning by one score. Pats 27 Ravens 24 sounds about right.

You're right with me babe. I predicted 27-23 Pats in a thread Sunday night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

How do they stop Welker, Gronk, Herdandez ,then Branch maybe Ocho, I just don't see it!!!! Sorry but the weapons are just too strong and to me The PATS are in a groove!!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents.": [QUOTE]If you think The Ravens O is comparable to Denver ,then I must conclude that your fan base is truly around the bend when it comes to objective analysis. I have no explanation for what happened to Tomlin when he refused to sit Rothesberger when he had a severe ankle sprain and expected Balt to lose the division and instead squandered a season. Won't ever hear about that on ESPN,not allowed to poor mouth the steelers. It was Tomlins blunder that led to the Pats walkover in the divisional round. I know Belicheck, if for no other reason than his solid MD roots won't be so easily duped. All the pats had to do last week was to cover the pitch man on the option play and the Broncos were doomed. For crying out loud, do you think if you cover the pitch man you are going to shut down the Ravens? Do you really mean....That? Posted by baltimoreon[/QUOTE] And the trolls come marching in. I don't believe for a second you're for real man.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]If you think The Ravens O is comparable to Denver ,then I must conclude that your fan base is truly around the bend when it comes to objective analysis. I have no explanation for what happened to Tomlin when he refused to sit Rothesberger when he had a severe ankle sprain and expected Balt to lose the division and instead squandered a season. Won't ever hear about that on ESPN,not allowed to poor mouth the steelers. It was Tomlins blunder that led to the Pats walkover in the divisional round. I know Belicheck, if for no other reason than his solid MD roots won't be so easily duped. All the pats had to do last week was to cover the pitch man on the option play and the Broncos were doomed. For crying out loud, do you think if you cover the pitch man you are going to shut down the Ravens? Do you really mean....That?
    Posted by baltimoreon[/QUOTE]
    Welcome... it started... who said SHUT DOWN the Ravens? They'll defend better than you want to give them credit for.  Most didn't think the Pats could shut down Denver last Saturday and they put on a defensive clinic! Say all you want about what happened in the Steelers game, who in my opinion erred grossly in the way they defended Denver that day. Either way... I know the Ravens DO present a different challenge, but, the Ravens have not faced an O like the Pats have now.  The closest, and you may want to cringe, is the game against SD in SD in which they scored 34 on that hallowed D of Baltimore only a few short weeks ago.  Feasting on rookie QBs these last few games is not a test for the Ravens and you KNOW Yates gave you that game. No INTs and no TDs for the Ravens based on what that vaunted O of Baltimore did. In the end, this is fan trash talk and the players play. Best performance wins and I still have to go to work Monday!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents. : Welcome... it started... who said SHUT DOWN the Ravens? They'll defend better than you want to give them credit for.  Most didn't think the Pats could shut down Denver last Saturday and they put on a defensive clinic! Say all you want about what happened in the Steelers game, who in my opinion erred grossly in the way they defended Denver that day. Either way... I know the Ravens DO present a different challenge, but, the Ravens have not faced an O like the Pats have now.  The closest, and you may want to cringe, is the game against SD in SD in which they scored 34 on that hallowed D of Baltimore only a few short weeks ago.  Feasting on rookie QBs these last few games is not a test for the Ravens and you KNOW Yates gave you that game. No INTs and no TDs for the Ravens based on what that vaunted O of Baltimore did. In the end, this is fan trash talk and the players play. Best performance wins and I still have to go to work Monday! Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE] Well said, but that post has to be some kind of joke. "baltimoreon"? LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents.": Well said, but that post has to be some kind of joke. "baltimoreon". LOL
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    This poster has been here before...  also, the term "baltimoron" play on the words of someone from Baltimore who is a moron.  LOL.  PS - I live in the Baltimore area and have to put up with all this "Purple" crap!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Looking at last year's contest between these two teams tells a lot.

Despite Brady throwing two picks, we won a close one in overtime.

A few things of note: The D got no turnovers. Woody gashed them for nearly 6 yards a carry. Benny was ineffective. Rice was held in check that game quite nicely.

What's different this time around?

Gronk and Hernandez are veterans and more than that, are monsters.

Flacco has not been playing to his usual level all year.

Conclusions:

The glaring factor last year was that Flacco played well and Brady didn't. Reverse that, and it's not even close. Tom has to absolutely take care of that ball. The D getting a turnover would be icing on the cake. I think the Ravens will be amazed at the improvement of Gronk. He has gone from an outstanding rookie to a Hall of Famer.

If Tom takes care of the ball (sacks being limited to one or two, they had 3 last time) I think we win by 7-10 points fairly comfortably.

Of course either team could come out and just lay an egg, but I'm betting both bring their A game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think the San Diego / Baltimore game is key here. It was the only top 10 offensive they played all year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Every single year the Patriots are getting miles ahead by the start of the fourth quarter.  Assuming that only a victory or defeat has a meaning to the Patriots, regularly in those games they give up great numbers of fourth quarter meaningless yards and meaningless points.

A classic example is Indianapolis, a bad team that found itself down 31-3.  The final score says 31-24.  Indianapolis spent the rest of the clock getting those touchdowns, and then was unable to recover an onside kick, so they lost.  BB had a four touchdown lead in his pocket and all the way through the fourth quarter he spent extra points, always keeping the odds of winning really good. 

Actually, Baltimore did a bit of the same thing with Indy.  They were up 24-3 until the last play of the game when Indy scored just one pity touchdown.  24-10.  Very nice and I hope the Baltimore scrubs learned their little lesson.  I score these pity touchdowns equally for all teams. 

One outcome of this strange way of handling wealth is that the Patriots appear to have the 31st defense in the NFL in terms of yardage.  Another outcome is that the Patriots appear mathematically as strong as Baltimore.  BB not only gets the victory with homefield advantage, but the prognosticators look at the raw stats and think that Denver has a chance.  I look at my quite real stats with the fluff points removed and say, no, Denver really doesn't have a chance.  People diss me.  Denver gets crushed as if they were after Andrew Luck in the draft.  Then I look at my point stats a week later and say, Baltimore is a 9.5 point underdog.  I get told that I deserve a wedgie and that the teams are pretty even. 

No.  Baltimore may physically be in New England's league, the National Football League, but an actual win out of Baltimore is a real stretch, even in an AFC championship game. 

At this point Baltimore looks like a great but old team with somewhat beat-up great older players.  When you field an older team without blossoming kids like Gronk, Hernandez and Solder, you tend to sink a bit as the season comes to a close.  For example, Ed Reed is great but he can't practice on that ankle, so is not practicing going to affect his reflex response to new formations that he sees in the hurry-up?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I think the San Diego / Baltimore game is key here. It was the only top 10 offensive they played all year.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

Comparing last year's win over the Ravens to SD's win this year one thing stands out.

Flacco threw 2 picks and Rivers none. Flacco is just not having a good year.

Like I say, if Tommy takes care of the ball and the D gets one or two turnovers we win easily.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents. : Comparing last year's win over the Ravens to SD's win this year one thing stands out. Flacco threw 2 picks and Rivers none. Flacco is just not having a good year. Like I say, if Tommy takes care of the ball and the D gets one or two turnovers we win easily.

I do not feel comfortable comparing games from week to week let alone one season from another. I obviously feel that if the Patriots play like they did against Denver than we are looking at an easy win but that is almost never how it works as we all know. I feel like the Ravens (who always seem to play with a lot of intensity) will come out on fire this week. I feel the Ravens know they are running out of oppurtunities to win the super bowl, if Flacco does not get better soon. I expect they will come out with a lot of energy and will try to pound Brady. The Pats are the better team in my humble opinion and if they can withstand the early storm the Pats offensive talent should win out in the long run. The Ravens rarely give up 30 points in a game so I would not expect to see a blow out but I expect a low 20's game, maybe Pats 24-20 (turnovers as usual will probably decide this game).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ravens: Comparing common opponents. : The word is actually "goad", but oh well, what does one expect from a bunch of "fans".
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Don't you ever get tired of being such a jerk? What's the point? It's got to suck trying to live life with so much anger bottled up inside. Whatever is bothering you, get over it. Life is too short.

I don't know what you think garbage posts like that one accomplish. It's not clever. It just makes you look foolish.

Sections
Shortcuts