Ravens Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Ravens Defense

How do they manage to produce good to great defense every year for more than 13 years?

In the first half they showed stats where the Ravens defense ranks, and it is in top 3 in all major defensive categories. This is after losing Reed, Kruger, Ellerbe and Lewis.

It seems like they always manage to have an elite defense.

The Patriots defense cannot reach the elite status for the past 5-6 years.  The Pats are so reliant on Talib it's scary.  I know we've had many injuries with Mayo and WIlfork beng out, but the defense was lackluster for past 5 years with those guys in lineup.  The key is having a great CB and outside of Talib, the Patriots havent had anyone in 5-6 years

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Ravens Defense

Denver is the only team that has an offense that they've played and they dropped 49 on them.  Lets see how they look after NE and DET.

and they're not top 3 in anything. 10th in yards, 7th in points. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Are they in first place for sacks? The Pats O-Line has to hold, but they did quite well against the Panthers before losing Cannon last week. Ridley also need to have a mistake free game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The easiest way to get good on defense is to cheap out on offense. 

Defense may win championships but not if it can't get you into the playoffs.  

Baltimore just held on Pittsburgh's two point play.  That was a close one for them, at home, against a 5 and 6 team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Baltimore just held on Pittsburgh's two point play.  That was a close one for them, at home, against a 5 and 6 team.

[/QUOTE]

That was on sanders. sorry... He should have cought that ball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Pass-Rush, Pass-Rush, Pass-Rush. Ngata,Suggs, Canty and Dr. Doom are a damn good pass rush.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Ozzie did a great job of rebuilding this defense but don't fool yourself.  It isn't near as good as it was.  It's solid but nothing spectacular.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dont we play houston next?

One game at a time fellas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Be scared of Baltimore again boys. I'm telling you, they scare me. We do not want this team to meet us in the playoffs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Be scared of Baltimore again boys. I'm telling you, they scare me. We do not want this team to meet us in the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

It's going to come down to the bengals ravens game for their division.  The bengals are floundering as they usually do at the end of the season head to head will decide it and the ravens are up 1. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont doubt they can pose a threat but Houston has a better defense and they are next on the schedule and our offense is back to being the strenght of the team so we should be concerned about the highly ranked houston D led by Watt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How do they manage to produce good to great defense every year for more than 13 years?

In the first half they showed stats where the Ravens defense ranks, and it is in top 3 in all major defensive categories. This is after losing Reed, Kruger, Ellerbe and Lewis.

It seems like they always manage to have an elite defense.

[/QUOTE]

Not that elite. Their defense looks great beacause the teams they've played teams that don't have the greatest offenses. Only the donkos torched them, and that was early in the season, in prestine weather.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Baltimore's offense has taken a step back this year in both the passing (likely due to the loss of Boldin and Pitta) and run game. While their defense is good, it is not as good as it was last year during the playoff run.

The only reason I would want to avoid Baltimore is because they always play the Patriots tough...however, we have yet to see if they can do this without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I said that about the Jets in 2009 and haven't heard the end of it on this board in 4 years! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Baltimore's offense has taken a step back this year in both the passing (likely due to the loss of Boldin and Pitta) and run game. While their defense is good, it is not as good as it was last year during the playoff run.

The only reason I would want to avoid Baltimore is because they always play the Patriots tough...however, we have yet to see if they can do this without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly they play us tough. I would gladly play cincy and Indy before them. Flacco is the better playoff Qb

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Their defense during the regular season last year was a lot different than it was in the playoffs as well. One thing they do have is a very good pass rush. We all know the way to throw Brady off is by getting in his face and making him feel uneasy in the pocket.

I would not say scared of them but they could pose a legitimate threat as a Wildcard (or even a surprise division winner if Cincy can't hold on).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Their defense during the regular season last year was a lot different than it was in the playoffs as well. One thing they do have is a very good pass rush. We all know the way to throw Brady off is by getting in his face and making him feel uneasy in the pocket.

I would not say scared of them but they could pose a legitimate threat as a Wildcard (or even a surprise division winner if Cincy can't hold on).

[/QUOTE]

True, you make a good point. A team that can rush the passer effectively always has a chance against the Pats, and the Ravens are no different. I would sum up my feelings about the Ravens this way:

Can they beat us? - Definitely yes

Will they beat us? - While nothing is ever guaranteed in football, I think I can say "no" more confidently than I could in the past.

Only time will tell I suppose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Let's hope the Titans get the other Wild Card berth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Basically it was a Playoff game with the loser out (pretty much). They also played the Steelers who are a shell of the Steelers of old. They do have a decent defense especially up front with the front seven but their CBs got away with lots of PI calls that were not called last nite?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How on earth is any team paying their QB 20 million a season "cheaping out" on offense? They were in a rough spot, after the postseason he had, they had to pay Flacco, while getting rid of guys like Boldin, that made him look a lot better then he actually is. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Their D is coming on of late, and they are very much a threat if we run into them in the postseason, hopefully the Pats can knock them out of contention in week 16. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ozzie does a very good job of keeping the Ravens team competitive year after year.  He's right up there with Belichick in team-building skill.This is a bit of a down year for them because of all the roster turnover, but I think they're always a dangerous team.  I'm not scared of them (their offense isn't that good this year and the defense is not what it was a few years ago), but I don't think they're a team you can ever take lightly. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How on earth is any team paying their QB 20 million a season "cheaping out" on offense? They were in a rough spot, after the postseason he had, they had to pay Flacco, while getting rid of guys like Boldin, that made him look a lot better then he actually is. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Their D is coming on of late, and they are very much a threat if we run into them in the postseason, hopefully the Pats can knock them out of contention in week 16. 

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Ozzie will eventually come to regret that Flacco signing.  Flacco's ceiling is well below elite QB height. Flacco can be a good game manager, but he really needs to be complemented by a good running game and a good defense.  I assume Ozzie's longer term plan is to re-build the defense and run game and keep Flacco as the game managing QB.  But that's a big contract for someone who isn't really an elite passer. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, in the playoffs - it's not about the regular season record, or rankings in defensive or offensive statistics - it's about matchups, health, and luck. Every team has its strengths and weaknesses - so, one has to ask - what type of team matches up well against the patriots?  The answer is - teams with a good pass rush with only 3-4 guys - and above average pass coverage. It's happened before.....it'll happen again.