Ravens game is Patriots Superbowl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Ravens game is Patriots Superbowl

You know how we say how other teams play New England and it is their Superbowl...?  Like when patriots played Carolina and that city was all hyped up and it was such a big game for them...?  You know ,  we say it kind of condescendingly and it's true.

Well ...  Ravens won the superbowl last year and knocked out the Patriots (literally).  The way this season is going, and the NE drought of superbowls now approaching a decade...  The Patriots might as well call this their Superbowl.  We'll see if the coaching staff can get these players ready to play and win this game like the huge game that it is.

If they lose this game it is quite close to over...  even though you couldn't officially count them out .

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Ravens game is Patriots Superbowl

A bit over the top Coolade. :) 

It's the Pats Super Bowl only if they lose, if you get my drift. 

But even then, if other teams in the AFC lose, such as Cincy and Miami, the Pats could still be in pretty good playoff seeding. 

One problem is Miamia plays the Jets in the last game, who have thrown in the towel on their sorry season and have virtually nothing to play for. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

A bit over the top Coolade. :) 

It's the Pats Super Bowl only if they lose, if you get my drift. 

But even then, if other teams in the AFC lose, such as Cincy and Miami, the Pats could still be in pretty good playoff seeding. 

One problem is Miamia plays the Jets in the last game, who have thrown in the towel on their sorry season and have virtually nothing to play for. 

Maybe but maybe not...   :)      Point is that Ravens won it last year.   Patriots are the wannabes now.     It's really do or die and you might as well do it.

Embrace it.  Meaning ...   Play and coach the game like it is the last game of the year.  Pull out every stop...

Don't you have to...?  What else are you saving it for?  Seriously.  there is real urgency to this game not the least of which is getting revenge on this team and knocking them out...  possibly or literally .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

All NFL games are important, especially at this time of year when playoff spots are not clinched.  As for this being the Pats SB, well, this is in the minds of the fans who are mighty nervous about this team.  I'm glad the team doesn't act like the fan base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

All NFL games are important, especially at this time of year when playoff spots are not clinched.  As for this being the Pats SB, well, this is in the minds of the fans who are mighty nervous about this team.  I'm glad the team doesn't act like the fan base.

This is not just another NFL game like "all NFL games".   What you are interpreting as nervousness is closer to a resolve that there is no f'n tomorrow so to speak.

Lose this game and you are a limping stumbling question filled team going in the wrong direction to loserville.   Seriously.  there is no option but to treat this game like it is your last.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Not to be that guy, but I think any playoff team is hoping to play in the super bowl...  There is no regular season superbowl for playoff teams.  They made & earned the next step and hopefully with some luck and talent they pull through to get to the big dance...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

This is not just another NFL game like "all NFL games".   What you are interpreting as nervousness is closer to a resolve that there is no f'n tomorrow so to speak.

Lose this game and you are a limping stumbling question filled team going in the wrong direction to loserville.   Seriously.  there is no option but to treat this game like it is your last.

Dude, we aren't losing the division, so there is no need to be so dramatic about it.  

Dude I'm not really interested in picking up the pieces after another road loss at this point.  I'm saying this game has more importance than a lot of people are giving it .  In many threads we have been dissecting the gameplanning and preparation of this coaching staff and questioning whether they have what it takes to win the big games. 

WEll this qualifies in my book as the biggest game of the year (so far... by far) and losing would be just another bad example...  or you just write off the team and say they just aren't any good on either side of the ball with all the attrition.  Which camp will you be in...?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Dude I'm not really interested in picking up the pieces after another road loss at this point.  I'm saying this game has more importance than a lot of people are giving it .  In many threads we have been dissecting the gameplanning and preparation of this coaching staff and questioning whether they have what it takes to win the big games. 

WEll this qualifies in my book as the biggest game of the year (so far... by far) and losing would be just another bad example...  or you just write off the team and say they just aren't any good on either side of the ball with all the attrition.  Which camp will you be in...?

I agree with you.  This is a huge game for the Pats, I don't want to say it's a must win type of game but.... It's a must win game. 

Ravens always play the Pats tough and Flacco usually can pick the Pats defense apart. Plus they can always turn to Ray Rice who also can cause trouble. Hopefully they will both be a little gimpy with their injuries on Sunday. 

Edelman and Amendola have to have the same game they did last Sunday and will need someone else in the receiving corps to step up.  Need Dobson and/or Thompkins out there, I don't see them doing it with Edelman, Amendola and Collie.  Not sure the Pats can run the ball on this Ravens team.

Did I mention that I don't like this game, especially with it being in Baltimore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

the pats need to kick butt or its going to be another depressing sunday!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I would hardly call this the superbowl because we have a legit shot of making it to the actual superbowl with all the holes on every other team in the league.  I think this is the most importaint game of the year as to getting a buy for the playoffs... that's for sure.  If we can lock in a buy, then I would rather say the actual Superbowl will be the Patriots Superbowl.

If the team can't hold the Ravens and pull off a win, things look grim for this team doing anything this year IMO. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

No, it's not.  The Super Bowl would be the Patriots' Super Bowl.

That whole phrase refers not to a big game, but a big game for a team that never plays in ACTUAL big games.  The Pats have played in 5 Super Bowls over the past 12 years, and 23 (I think) playoff games.  Sunday doesn't even approach a playoff game for the Pats, let alone "the Super Bowl!"

The Pats season is not over if they lose on Sunday.  It's not even significantly damaged (slightly, but not significantly).  Momentum is not just an overrated, but a fictional concept in sports.  Health and talent are the two most important factors in the postseason.

It'll be disappointing if they lose, no doubt, and exciting if they win.  But neither the high nor the low would come anywhere NEAR the amplitude of the Super Bowl.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Really? C'mon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Play and coach the game like it is the last game of the year.  Pull out every stop..."

Coolade my final comment now that I've seen your responses clarifying your position: what gives you the idea that the Pats don't see it this way? Every comment I have seen coming out of the Pats organization, from Brady to Belichick, indicates to me they see the importance of this game. 

Since that's understood, not sure your post is necessary. :) 

Unless you want to claim this is the Super Bowl of the season, in which case that is hyperbole. 

The Super Bowl, as strange as it sounds, would be the Bills and Pats in the final game if the Pats lose this one. As in: the Super Bowl for the Buffalo Bills. 

You never want to play a team that has turned your game into the Super Bowl - which generally means a win that would justify their entire season. 

Injuries or not, the Pats have to advance further than that to justify their season...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Dude, we aren't losing the division, so there is no need to be so dramatic about it.  

I agree, it's a big game and it will do wonders for them heading into the postseason, but we don't play SBs in the regular season either.  The team is above that kind of an approach. They respect all opponents and try to best execute a gameplan.

Here's my gut feeling on this:

When counted down and out, BB and Brady are usually at their best.  I don't think they enjoyed being SCREWED down in Baltimore last year. It had no effect on their seeding, but still. Also, Edelman was cheapshotted by Ed Reed after shredding them, so I like that element vs an interior D that is terrible in coverage.

IMO, Baltimore's ranking as a D is misleading just as Pitt's was before we blasted them 55-10.

The Mankins thing moving to LT, I think they'll be fine there with a week of practice in there.  He's been around too long to make that not work right.

My main fear is the offense and the approach again, because again, I see Baltimore as a D than rush the 4 or 5 and cover in man. If we just run the ball consistently, show patience, etc, I think we can do that.

Now, last year, we did that down there and it proved to be a problem for them on D.   The problem was, once Edelman went down, Brady lost his X guy and we started back with the Gronk/Welkie stare down mid field options and got away from the run game. Izt put pressure on the D, we couldn't ice the game, and we lost, giving it away.

On our defense, it's the same routine:

1. Contain the run.  Their run game is not that good, so we should be able to hold this off and keep playaction to a minimum from them.

2. Mix man and zone and flood the middle/keep passes to the perimeter.

3. Stick Talib on Jacoby Jones (when he's out there) for height reasons and Dennard can be on Torrey Smith.    If Jones is not out there, Talib on Smith.

I am a believer in two things with this team:

No turnovers and get Brady to playaction by running it consistently by halftime and we'll win. In fact, I think in games that this is accomplished on offense, we can't lose.

I agree, it's a big game and it will do wonders for them heading into the postseason, but we don't play SBs in the regular season either.  The team is above that kind of an approach. They respect all opponents and try to best execute a gameplan.

I don't think the regular season approach is going to get it done.  What I want to see are indications on both sides of the ball that they aren't being complacent with the same approach and have some new plays and pressure packages that get the game going in the right direction.

The Superbowl metaphor is just that...  It is a mindset.    It's an urgency to get out of the box since you will not have a better opportunity...  I want to see that extra gear demonstrated by this coaching staff.   Put in something that shows the abilty to evolve .  Get away from the vanilla sh1t.  Try chocolate super chunk instead.

An example of this will be a lot of misdirection, pump faking, play action.  guys in motion.  Quick snaps.  Not the deliberate, audible spend all day at the line of scrimmage crap.  Save that for the second half after you have built a lead.  Be decisive as a team and set your agenda with a healthy mix of new plays.  Kind of like last week except finish the deal in the redzone .

On defense , bring pressure then back off.  Keep them guessing.  Hit receivers hard and go low at every opportunity.  Linbackers dropping into coverage need to punish receivers over the middle with hard low hits.  Establish a physical presence .  feed off it.  And get to Flacco.  Gotta get there simple as that.  Whatever it takes.  Bring it early and often.  Then back off and mix it up.  Use different personnel like Ebner on Pitta.  Mess with their heads. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

i agree with this. this is our rival. we should have lost to this team 3 times in  row (has been 2) and every game is physical and close. 

to me, the ravens have our number. only team in the league right now that does. and that's why its our SB. that needs to change. BB rarely loses to the same team twice in a row which already happened and it should be 3 times.

the ravens have our # and its time to put an end to this sh1t. i love the Ravens-Pats games.

need a W to show we are still elite

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

This is absolutely a huge game. Their Super Bowl? Instead of throwing around hyperboles, how about it's just the biggest game of the season thus far, and is a critical one? Everyone knows they must win, because I seriously fear their chances in a week 17 scenario where, if they lose, they also require another team to lose. This team is mentally tough, but I don't even want to explore that route.

On that note, let's not be too worried about this team and the position that it's in. Look no further than the past four Super Bowl winners, none of whom were playing good football down the stretch in the regular season.

2009 Saints - Started 13-0, finished 13-3.

2010 Packers - Started 8-4, finished 10-6

2011 Giants - Started 6-2, finished 9-7

2012 Ravens - Started 9-2, finished 10-6

The way it has played out, a dose of humility and instilling a bit of a competitive edge in a team right before playoffs may not be a bad thing.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I don't think the regular season approach is going to get it done.  What I want to see are indications on both sides of the ball that they aren't being complacent with the same approach and have some new plays and pressure packages that get the game going in the right direction.

The Superbowl metaphor is just that...  It is a mindset.    It's an urgency to get out of the box since you will not have a better opportunity...  I want to see that extra gear demonstrated by this coaching staff.   Put in something that shows the abilty to evolve .  Get away from the vanilla sh1t.  Try chocolate super chunk instead.

An example of this will be a lot of misdirection, pump faking, play action.  guys in motion.  Quick snaps.  Not the deliberate, audible spend all day at the line of scrimmage crap.  Save that for the second half after you have built a lead.  Be decisive as a team and set your agenda with a healthy mix of new plays.  Kind of like last week except finish the deal in the redzone .

On defense , bring pressure then back off.  Keep them guessing.  Hit receivers hard and go low at every opportunity.  Linbackers dropping into coverage need to punish receivers over the middle with hard low hits.  Establish a physical presence .  feed off it.  And get to Flacco.  Gotta get there simple as that.  Whatever it takes.  Bring it early and often.  Then back off and mix it up.  Use different personnel like Ebner on Pitta.  Mess with their heads. 

Putting Ebner on Pitta will mess with your head more than it would mess with Flacco's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Here's my gut feeling on this:

When counted down and out, BB and Brady are usually at their best.  I don't think they enjoyed being SCREWED down in Baltimore last year. It had no effect on their seeding, but still. Also, Edelman was cheapshotted by Ed Reed after shredding them, so I like that element vs an interior D that is terrible in coverage.

IMO, Baltimore's ranking as a D is misleading just as Pitt's was before we blasted them 55-10.

The Mankins thing moving to LT, I think they'll be fine there with a week of practice in there.  He's been around too long to make that not work right.

My main fear is the offense and the approach again, because again, I see Baltimore as a D than rush the 4 or 5 and cover in man. If we just run the ball consistently, show patience, etc, I think we can do that.

Now, last year, we did that down there and it proved to be a problem for them on D.   The problem was, once Edelman went down, Brady lost his X guy and we started back with the Gronk/Welkie stare down mid field options and got away from the run game. Izt put pressure on the D, we couldn't ice the game, and we lost, giving it away.

On our defense, it's the same routine:

1. Contain the run.  Their run game is not that good, so we should be able to hold this off and keep playaction to a minimum from them.

2. Mix man and zone and flood the middle/keep passes to the perimeter.

3. Stick Talib on Jacoby Jones (when he's out there) for height reasons and Dennard can be on Torrey Smith.    If Jones is not out there, Talib on Smith.

I am a believer in two things with this team:

No turnovers and get Brady to playaction by running it consistently by halftime and we'll win. In fact, I think in games that this is accomplished on offense, we can't lose.

I think you will see some of what you are saying.  I just don't think this is a SB level, championship moment. It's a big game, absolutely and a great primer for the postseason.

The bottom line is, NE is as good as any team in the AFC and match up well vs all of them. They just have to not fall into that abandon the run game/never really establish it trap.

I've said it for years.  We beat Balt in Oct of 2010 with Branch in his first game back and Brady more under Center, a focus on running, for that very reason.

In fact I am starting a thread for my wager offer right now to see which mouthy person here has the balls to put his money where  his mouth is.

This is one of my favorite things about you.  You are just such an idiot, that it's guaranteed that you will contradict yourself and show your moronitude so frequently that all that need be done is post your own words back to you.  For example:

Just a moment ago, you claimed it was Brady's starting down Welker against the Jets in the 2010 playoffs that lost the game.  Now you're claiming that the run first/Brady under center was the reason the Pats beat the Ravens in 2010.  But what really happened?

Pats/ Ravens - Pats win in OT 23-21 (only scored 20 in regualtion?)

Brady passes 44 times for 292 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks rating:69

Team rushes 26 times for 127 yards 4.9 per carry

Welker 11 targets, 7 catches,     Branch 12 targets 9 catches

Pats/Jets  Jets win 28-21 (worst playoff choke in history if NFL)

Brady passes 45 times for 300 yards, 2 TD, 1int rating:89

Team rushed 28 times for 113 yards 4.0 per carry

Welker, 9 targets 7 catches      Branch 1o targets, 5 catches 

Virtually identical run/pass breakdown, worse running production vs Jets, more Branch targets in both games, Brady performed far better vs Jets than Ravens.  Of course, Mark Sanchez's offense put up 28.

Hmmmm, kinda blows your theory apart.  Nice try, moron. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Only Jets have SB in a regular season game.....44 years of nothing does that to ateam....

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts