Ravens Game Rewind - San Diego Look Ahead

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Ravens Game Rewind - San Diego Look Ahead

Tivo is a great thing.  I had a chance to watch the game again last night and did a lot of rewinding on certain plays. Here are my takeways after watching this game again:

1. Merriweather:  It's a shame he had the illeagle hit because it really took away from the monster game he was having. He laid some nasty hits and was all over the field.  He hit Mason on the sideline and almost knocked him out.  I wish people would get off his back (especially Felger) as his physical presence has been awesome this year and he's starting to intimidate receivers - which is exactly what you want from your safety.

2. Brady:  In my humble opinion, Brady played his best game since 2007.  His play action fakes were exceptional.  His play during the 4th quarter was as good as I've ever seen him.  He is in the zone! 

3. Crable:  It's about time, but you can see why BB has been patient with him.  He is increadibly fast.  I must have rewinded one particular third down play a hundred times - watching him explode off the ball and rush Flacco into a bad throw.  He torched the right tackle with a nifty swim move and would have killed Flacco if he didn't get rid of the ball.  I watched another play where he ran down Flacco from the other side of the field.  His closing speed is impressive.  Let's cross our fingers and hope he gets better and better.

4.  Kudos to the offensive & defensive lines.  Ravens are hard to run against and they actually beg you to throw short passes on them because their DB's line up so far back.  The O Lone did a great job protecting Brady and opening up some lanes for Woodhead during crunch time.  The D Line played stout physical football - especially during the 2nd half. 

5.  A new identity is coming together:  You can see the confidence rising especially with the young guys.  I was guilty of bashing our off Coord for a bland offense last year and against the Jets this year but he's starting to put his own stamp on this offense and it is evolving into something special. 

6. Man I wish Bodden didn't get hurt!  While the defense is playing well, they would be so much better with Bodden!

7. Edelman/Fred Taylor: Edelman has been a shade of his former self this year.  The injury from the pre-season must of been pretty bad because he's not himself - especially now with a concussion.  I can only imagine how the offense will operate if we can get a healthy Edelman and Fred Taylor on the field.  It will be virtually unstoppable!

8. Role Players:  Fletcher is one player that really stood out in certain situations (good call Patsfan76).  He looks like a throwback LB with quick feet.  Crable on 3rd downs is another one.  BB has all 53 men on the field contributing like he did during the glory days.  Like to see it!

The win had to do a lot for the young players confidence which will go a long way! 

The San Diego game scares me a bit as their stats and win/loss record is misleading. If you haven't read this yet, it's an interesting statistal breakdown of the Chargers:   http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/10/21/chargers_finding_turnovers_hard_to_digest/?p1=Well_Sports_links

My guess is this will be a close game with our special teams making the difference.

Cheers! 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Re: Ravens Game Rewind - San Diego Look Ahead

In Response to Re: Ravens Game Rewind - San Diego Look Ahead:
    [QUOTE]Good Post.  I did not read the link you put up, but I can tell that S.D. does have some misleading stats.  I watched the shortcut replay of the S.D. game, and I can tell you why they have the top rated pass defense at like 167 yards per game given up.  THEY CANT STOP THE RUN!   Dont know if that will hold true against us, but they had trouble with S.Jackson.  He was gashing them.  The way we are surging and S.D. is falling, I def. think it could be a trap game.  Im hoping the leaders on this team are keeping the young guys humble after a huge win.  Biggest problems for us will be Sproles on S/T and in space.  I think we will double Gates as we usually do, but if we are focused, I just dont see us losing.  We should be able to move the ball against them because their LB crew right now is very undisciplined and with the playaction game back, we will make a living in the middle.  Good thing is the 4pm start west coast will still feel like a 1 pm kickoff.   I'm gonna say Pats win 27-20
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Hey, nopt only is it a potential trap game but not sure how you plan your defensive strategy against them.

In years past you knew you had to defend Gates, VJack, and LT.  If you could effectively stop their big 3, you stopped the Chargers.  Now, who do you game plan against?  My fear is the unknown players sneaking up and having a killer game against us!  

Hopefully we just crush them in every way imaginable but I have a strange feeling about this game..... 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, me too, I cant really gauge this one.  Part of me thinks we are over our Road woes, and then I realize we have a lot of youth and its a cross country trip.  I think someone like Legadoo Nanee will def. have an impact.  he is a player similar to D.Bess who killed us.  I dont worry so much about Gates.  B.B. respects him enough to take him away. So far as O'Brien is concerned.  I dont really want to put it all on Moss, but it seems O'brien is more creative now.  I dont know if its the change in philosophy or just being able to do more now without the offense catering to Moss.  I think its safe to say that Moss' demonstrative personality was getting in the way off O'bie calling a good game, IMO. That Jets game is so telling when you break it down, esp. when you see the footage of Moss on the sideline after the one handed catch saying "I told y'all during the week!!"   This tells me that Moss was going around all week in practice saying "im gonna kill Revis" and "get me the ball this week" and WE accomadated him with 10 throws in his direction and proceeded to basically get shut down besides that one catch and disappeared 2nd half and the fact that Moss was happy about burning Revis but didnt help us win the game.  That said it all for me.  I think O'bie will be fine going forward and a lot of us probably owe him an apology.
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Good analysis on O'Brien.  At the end of the day, I think defenses simply figured out a way to defend against our offense and the apprach needed to change.  We caught everyone off guard in 2007 but since then, the O got stale.

I like what I'm seing right now with our O.  There are a lot of ways you can attack with the same personnell on the field.  You can have a 2 or a 3 TE set, run it down their throats and then go into a hurry up with the same personell and shift to a spread formation...  That's hard to compete against!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ravens Game Rewind - San Diego Look Ahead : Good analysis on O'Brien.  At the end of the day, I think defenses simply figured out a way to defend against our offense and the apprach needed to change.  We caught everyone off guard in 2007 but since then, the O got stale. I like what I'm seing right now with our O.  There are a lot of ways you can attack with the same personnell on the field.  You can have a 2 or a 3 TE set, run it down their throats and then go into a hurry up with the same personell and shift to a spread formation...  That's hard to compete against!
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

Moss was also an unwilling blocker and if he knew he wasn't part of the game plan, he'd slack on his routes. Branch is a better route-runner too.

I won't bash Moss because he's gone now but our offense is better off now than it was back then. There's zero predictability and much more balance. I love how against the Ravens, we still mixed in the run just to keep them honest.

Forget O'Brien but we can't overlook the fact that Moss was probably getting in Brady's ear too. They're friends and Moss knows if his numbers aren't great, his last payday is going to diminish. Brady's a player, not a coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if he, along with Moss, licked his chops when Revis went down and Cromarties was there one on one.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ravens Game Rewind - San Diego Look Ahead : Moss was also an unwilling blocker and if he knew he wasn't part of the game plan, he'd slack on his routes. Branch is a better route-runner too. I won't bash Moss because he's gone now but our offense is better off now than it was back then. There's zero predictability and much more balance. I love how against the Ravens, we still mixed in the run just to keep them honest. Forget O'Brien but we can't overlook the fact that Moss was probably getting in Brady's ear too. They're friends and Moss knows if his numbers aren't great, his last payday is going to diminish. Brady's a player, not a coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if he, along with Moss, licked his chops when Revis went down and Cromarties was there one on one.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%!

Imagine our O if/when Fred Taylor and Edelman get healthy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

with all his talent, moss is not at all a versatile receiver that nwe likes. having moss on the field probably kept ob from calling some plays.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

moss and martz would get along well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]with all his talent, moss is not at all a versatile receiver that nwe likes. having moss on the field probably kept ob from calling some plays.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  The offense now is much more dynamic and going to give D coordinators nightmares! 

I think we need to hit a few passes deep this week - just to keep defenses  honestagainst our deep ball!  Just because Moss isn't here now, doesn't mean we cant still go long.

Sections
Shortcuts