Ravens Kicking Consultant Says 'You Can't Rule Anything Out' With Patriots' Role in Scoreboard Error

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Ravens Kicking Consultant Says 'You Can't Rule Anything Out' With Patriots' Role in Scoreboard Error

What the Fruck?

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bdzj0

Baltimore Ravens kicker Billy Cundiff faced the music in the moments immediately after the AFC Championship on Sunday against the Patriots.

The veteran kicker said that there was "no excuse" for the missed 32-yard field goal in the final seconds, a field goal that would have sent the game to overtime. 

Yet, in the days following the game, Cundiff and the Ravens have offered a couple of "excuses," the biggest of which had to do with a misunderstanding in

regards to the scoreboard. As the story goes, Cundiff was late in getting on the field because he didn't know what down it was when the Gillette Stadium scoreboard displayed the wrong down.

Now, a member of the Ravens organization isn't ruling out that the Patriots may have been behind the whole thing.

"The scoreboard was one down behind, the entire last three plays, from what we understand," Ravens kicking coordinator Randy Brown told Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team on 94 WIP on Tuesday, according to CBSPhilly.com. 

Brown was then asked if he thought the scoreboard issue could have been intentional on part of the Patriots. 

"I don't know," he responded, "I don't think you can rule anything out in New England, can you?" Brown responded.

Brown was also asked about the prospects of head coach John Harbaugh calling a time out to give the Ravens a chance to get things together before the attempt.

"With kickers, I think we learned with [Dallas Cowboys head coach] Jason Garrett this year, you don't want to call time out to ice your own kicker. ... It was our belief that he was ready."

You can hear the entire interview by clicking here. (Hat tip to Larry Brown Sports)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Re: Ravens Kicking Consultant Says 'You Can't Rule Anything Out' With Patriots' Role in Scoreboard Error

calling a timeout at the end of the previous play before your field goal kicker gets on the field to give the team breathing room is not "icing the kicker"

calling a timeout when the whole unit is on the field and prepared and ready to snap the ball is "icing the kicker"

I am not surprised a "kicking coordinator" from the lowest IQ team in the league is unaware of this.  I don't think you can rule any idioicy out with these guys.  The The Harbore twins displayed less understanding of the rules in one day than the rest of the NFL coaching fraternity has shown in a decade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Ravens Kicking Consultant Says 'You Can't Rule Anything Out' With Patriots' Role in Scoreboard Error

And the first person who should lose their job? Bingo it's the kicking coordinator Randy Brown who obviously wasn't paying attention and didn't do his job making sure Cundiff was ready and waiting on the sideline instead of on the 50 in sweats taking practice kicks.

Obviously everyone else on the Ravens knew it was 4th down since the entire kicking team took the field well before Cundiff came running on. Seriously your one job on a pro football team is to make sure your kicker is ready to kick and you fail to do it.

This guy is just making excuses to keep his job

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Official scoreboard, yard markers and statisticians etc at Gillette on game days are NOT run by ANY Patriots organization employees from what I understand. They are NFL employees as far as I know.

To guard and protect against the very perception of the integrity of the game. This goes for all NFL games and stadiums.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As I posted in another thread, it all boils down to paying attention to every detail and the Ravens coaches did not have their act together in that regard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

"The scoreboard was one down behind, the entire last three plays, from what we understand,"

So, basically he was told AFTER THE FACT, practically admitting that he nor any member of the staff was paying attention to what was on the scoreboard, yet is holidng out hope that people will believe that it wasn't their fault. 

"The most important play of the game of which I am paid money to make sure goes smoothly, which every armchair fan watching the game knows, went awry and I'm not sure why there was confusion, but someone pointed out something I can scapegoat now"

he seems to leave out the fact the team was set at the snap, and time was irrelevant after the snap and the holder was not rushed, the kicker was set, any "rush" was ancient history by the snap of the ball. I wonder if he's still holidng on to that timeout

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Kicking Consultant Says 'You Can't Rule Anything Out' With Patriots' Role in Scoreboard Error:
    [QUOTE]Official scoreboard, yard markers and statisticians etc at Gillette on game days are NOT run by ANY Patriots organization employees from what I understand. They are NFL employees as far as I know. To guard and protect against the very perception of the integrity of the game. This goes for all NFL games and stadiums.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Come on, don't kill a great "Patriots are cheaters" story line with some pesky facts!

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I find it incredible that this coach says in plain English that from what "we" understand that the play clock was behind a down. If I were the coach I'd be embarrased to make stupid a statement like that. You would think the head coach Harbaugh his staff and player would be aware of the correct downs. 

If the clock was off on downs why didn't anyone from Baltimore bring it up at the time. Just more sour grapes from a sore loser. 

Hetchinspete

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Kicking consultant? Lol...moving on

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Kicking Consultant Says 'You Can't Rule Anything Out' With Patriots' Role in Scoreboard Error:
    [QUOTE]Kicking consultant? Lol...moving on
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

They need psychiatric counseling !!
    Whiners Anonymous, a 12 step program. 

Hetchinspete. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I may be wrong, but if the roles were reversed and Gostkowski missed a FG in Baltimore we wouldn't blame the scoreboard keeper.  Maybe we'd blame everyone BUT the scorboard keeper, but if Ghost missed the kick then it's on him, the long snapper, the holder and maybe the coaching staff for not taking a time out. 

Ridiculous, and sour grapes to be sure. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

What's a kicking consultant and how do I get a job like that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]"The scoreboard was one down behind, the entire last three plays, from what we understand ," So, basically he was told AFTER THE FACT , practically admitting that he nor any member of the staff was paying attention to what was on the scoreboard, yet is holidng out hope that people will believe that it wasn't their fault.  "The most important play of the game of which I am paid money to make sure goes smoothly, which every armchair fan watching the game knows, went awry and I'm not sure why there was confusion, but someone pointed out something I can scapegoat now" he seems to leave out the fact the team was set at the snap, and time was irrelevant after the snap and the holder was not rushed, the kicker was set, any "rush" was ancient history by the snap of the ball. I wonder if he's still holidng on to that timeout
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I caught his wording too. It also implies he never actually checked any tape to see if it was true. He is basically saying his conclusions are based on hearsay.

I do find it amazing how organizational mindsets are displayed in the even less significant employees. The Ravens have always made excuses and pointed fingers for losing and here is a guy who I would think is very low on the totem pole pointing the finger. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I reckon it is time Kraft bought the lawyers out for this sort of talk. It seems the Pats can't win a game without being accused of cheating in some form. That damages the Patriots brand that Kraft works so hard to promote.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

What bothers me about this is where are the Patriots and the NFL on this issue? If indeed the NFL runs the score boards then why are they not asking the NFL front office to step in and validate one way or another? Why do they continue to sit on the side line and let everyone insinuate that the Patriots cheated. We all know it's a bunch of bull but they continue to let the cheating PR continue trying their best to tarnish this teams accomplishments. They owe it to all NFL fans to make sure all the games are on the up and up and to defend any questionable issues such as these accusations.

But then the commish hates Bill so he's not going to do him or the Patriots any favors.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Who cares what anybody says, just win baby!!  Sorry, Al.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/25/john-harbaugh-addresses-scoreboardgate/

John Harbaugh dimisses “Scoreboardgate” as “nonsense”

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

[QUOTE]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/25/john-harbaugh-addresses-scoreboardgate/ John Harbaugh dimisses “Scoreboardgate” as “nonsense” Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2012, 5:07 PM EST On Sunday, Ravens coach John Harbaugh gave Ravens kicking consultant Randy Brown a shove on national television .  Three days later, Harbaugh is essentially telling Brown to take his tinfoil-hat theory about the failed field goal attempt at the end of the AFC title game — and shove it. “Any suggestion the wrong down info was a deliberate effort to affect the outcome of the game is nonsense ,” Harbaugh said Wednesday, per Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun . Brown hinted at foul play when talking to WIP radio in Philly on Tuesday.  “The scoreboard was one down behind, the entire last three plays, from what we understand,” Brown said.  “ I don’t think you can rule anything out in New England, can you? ” Cundiff himself said that he was rushed in part because the scoreboard showed that it was third down . Harbaugh doesn’t want to hear any of that.  “We knew what the down and distance were on our last series,” Harbaugh said.  “The scoreboard was not a factor for us.” It’s the right move.  Reckless claims of cheating undermine the integrity of the team making them, and that’s surely something owner Steve Bisciotti doesn’t want to see.  Besides, creating the impression that the Ravens actually relied on the scoreboard creates a Keystone Cops quality to the entire operation, something that neither Harbaugh nor Bisciotti nor anyone in the organization should want. Moving forward, it’ll be interesting to see if Cundiff and/or Brown return in 2012, either because of the missed kick or their subsequent comments about it.
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the real story here is that the ravens have a "kicking consultant" on staff and still couldnt execute a chip shot to send the game into OT...

Sections
Shortcuts