Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft

In response to "Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft":
    In Response to Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft : Tears! Oh christ, that was good.  May I borrow that? Posted by RidingWithTheKingII
    Not my original creation. I borrowed the ratio line from familyguy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft:
    with denver being a run oriented team... that would imply physical in the trenches football....     well in the pats heyday...they used to beat the sh*t out of teams... if you looked at that denver game the biggest thing i saw was how physical we were and the toal it took on denver... we beat them up... so let them think we are soft and our d sux...
    Posted by jcour382

I saw that too!
    Its what makes me feel alot better about our D
    It reminded me of the Preseason game against TB
    and hadn't seen enough of it until Denver

and if I remebr right Simms said he thought the
    Denver OLIne to be very good if not the best??

I think the PAts have alot of smadh mouth in thme and that
    when the APts win they will keep smashing -
    With as old as Lewis and Reid are - thye will just lose it in one day.
    this may be it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's the view of a typical Ravens' fan about the Pats:

"...As a Ravens fan, I truly cannot stand the Patriots more than the Steelers. Some may be shocked by that opinion, but I have a sort of hierarchy of teams I favor or dislike for various irrational and/or valid reasons, and except for the Cowboys (who I have always hated) New England is at the very bottom of my list. The Steelers, Bengals, and Browns are like our brothers that we fight with all the time, but they're our brothers. The Patriots are like the snotty, sociopathic bully up the street that just makes your skin crawl. Between Pretty-Boy Brady ("Yoo-hoo, Mr. Referee, that bad man bumped into me!") with his beady eyes; the dark lord Belichick slouching along the sidelines like Gollum looking for precious; and the overbearing mystique of Boston fans, my approval rating for that organization is somewhere between BP and congress."

"Come on Ravens - take them down".

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ri_rock. Show ri_rock's posts

I read the Ravens quotes and I'm not sure I get the implied "overrated and soft" message.  I saw the full interviews with Reed and Lewis last night and both (especially Reed) expressed high praise and respect for Belichik and Brady.  Even Suggs and Brady seem to have a grudging respect for each other.  It seems like most of the smack talk takes place on these fan forums, not in the locker rooms.  After last weekend (and the last decade), I seriously doubt that the Ravens players see the Pats as overrated and soft.   

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I read the Ravens quotes and I'm not sure I get the implied "overrated and soft" message.  I saw the full interviews with Reed and Lewis last night and both (especially Reed) expressed high praise and respect for Belichik and Brady.  Even Suggs and Brady seem to have a grudging respect for each other.  It seems like most of the smack talk takes place on these fan forums, not in the locker rooms.  After last weekend (and the last decade), I seriously doubt that the Ravens players see the Pats as overrated and soft.   
    Posted by ri_rock

Perhaps you'll have a different opinion, if you take their latest comments in context with the following history between the teams:

A brief history of the bad blood:

■Dec. 3, 2007: The 12-0 Patriots traveled to M&T Bank Stadium for a Monday night game against a Ravens squad with just four wins. The Patriots trailed, 24-20, when they got the ball with 3:30 to play. Brady drove the Patriots into the red zone, but the Ravens stopped them on fourth down – or so they thought. Defensive coordinator Rex Ryan called timeout, negating the stop. Adding to the drama: assistants aren’t supposed to call timeouts, only the head coach, but the official simply heard the request and granted it.

When the teams lined up again for fourth down, New England got new life when Baltimore was called for holding, giving it a fresh set of downs. Brady found Jabar Gaffney in the end zone, the receiver held on, and the touchdown held up.

After the game, the Ravens accused the officials of showing favoritism to the Patriots.

■Oct. 4, 2009: The Patriots took a 21-7 lead at halftime and held on for a 27-21 win at Gillette Stadium. The Ravens twice were flagged for roughing the passer, the second on Terrell Suggs under the so-called “Brady rule’’ when he lunged at the quarterback’s knee.

“Without totally going off the wall here, it is embarrassing to the game,’’ Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said, basically going off the wall. “Brady is good enough to make his own plays, let him make the play. Both of their [first-half] touchdown drives had personal fouls that kept the drives alive.’’

Bill Belichick even got into the act - as revealed in “A Football Life,’’ which chronicled the Patriots 2009 season - as the coach and Baltimore receiver Derrick Mason had an obscenity-laced back-and-forth during the game.

■Jan. 10, 2010: The Ravens returned to Gillette for a wild-card game and gained their first victory against New England. Running back Ray Rice took the first snap of the game for an 83-yard touchdown, the Ravens scored 24 first-quarter points, and Baltimore rolled to a 33-14 win, the first home playoff loss for New England in over 30 years.

■Oct. 17, 2010: New England won, 23-20, in overtime at Gillette. Suggs said of Brady after the game, “He just better hope he don’t see us again.’’

The next day, Brady, in a rare moment of trash talking, said, “Well he had his chance, so maybe if he gets another chance he can try to back those words up. We play those guys a lot and they’ve only beat us one time in all the times that I’ve played them. So they talk a lot for beating us once in nine years.’’

A couple of months later, Suggs revealed he did not vote for Brady to go to the Pro Bowl, reasoning that Brady likely didn’t vote for him either. A couple of days later, Suggs reversed course, saying he did vote for Brady.

On Jan. 13, 2011, Suggs told Sirius NFL radio that Brady’s three Super Bowl wins are “questionable,’’ citing the Tuck Rule game and Spygate.

The linebacker also pointed to that 2009 regular-season game as the genesis of his dislike for Brady, saying, “It all brews from when I nicked his knee a little bit. I was like, ‘Wow, you almost hit a guy and get flagged?’ I never knew one man could have so much power.’’

After yesterday’s victory over the Texans, the Ravens already were looking ahead to their bout with the Patriots.

After complimenting Belichick and Brady, perennial Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed said, “We’re coming in and they know it.’’ http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/01/16/plenty_of_ravin
    _between_patriots_and_the_ravens/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i think the ravens respect the patriots....its all gamesmanship...BB and brady show their lust for ray lewis and ed reed while the ravens show their respect for brady and the pats offense

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

with denver being a run oriented team... that would imply physical in the trenches football....     well in the pats heyday...they used to beat the sh*t out of teams... if you looked at that denver game the biggest thing i saw was how physical we were and the toal it took on denver... we beat them up... so let them think we are soft and our d sux...
    Posted by jcour382

Exactly right - the field was littered with Denver players on Saturday night - and anyone who thinks that the Pats are soft - has anyone seen Rob Gronkowski? He look soft to anyone?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

For all the talk about how the Pats didn't beat a team over .500 all year, here's an intersting stat I just read:

The Ravens played one team with a top 10 offense this year...and the Chargers hung 34 on them, so they can talk about their "toughness" all they want, we'll see if they can run with the Pats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

For all the talk about how the Pats didn't beat a team over .500 all year, here's an intersting stat I just read:   The Ravens played one team with a top 10 offense this year...and the Chargers hung 34 on them, so they can talk about their "toughness" all they want, we'll see if they can run with the Pats. 
    Posted by wmasschilly

Haha! Good one!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Was anyone impressed with the Ravens win over Houston and there fifth round draft pick starting(because of injuries)QB,Yates who was,understandably,obviously nervous and rattled,and threw three interceptions,two of which were simply aweful decisions and throws?Was anyone impressed with the Ravens offense given the field position they Had thanks to unforced blunders the Houston offense gave them and stilll managed to score just a scant twenty points?Was anyone impressed with the Ravens defense which never did stop the Houston running game and were given more than a couple of outright gifts?Baltimore's players can say whatever they want(Including the absurd and rediculous),reach back to the tuck rule and the most overblown scandal dubbed spygate aa a way to demean the Patriots impressive run of titles because they have none and call into question the talent and toughness of a team that had the best record(13-3) and were top seed in these playoffs in the AFC and the oblitiration of a Denver team that knocked off the supposedly mighty Steelers a scant week earlier.They can talk all they want but,other than the most rabid Ravens fans and the bleats of certain media types who whether because of jealousy,envy,not getting outragious quotes from anyone in the Patriots organization,not getting the inside scoop from B.B.or other personal reasons,who will listen?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Rex Ryan used to be with the Ravens, and he learned that you always talk smack about your next opponent.  The opponent's home media will pick up on it, and the rest of the national media will ignore the comments until it's their team getting the smack. 

Unfortunately, professionally written on-message trash talking has been circulating one year too many.  I'm surprised that you can't buy old locker room scripts on the web somewhere, like the canned sermon sites for the hurried reverend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft : Tears! Oh christ, that was good.  May I borrow that?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

Now now, he's not THAT ugly.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Is this the same Ravens team that eked out a win by 1 TD against Tyler Yates?  Are they for real? I really hope BB has his team sequestered from everyone this week, has them focused on one thing only.  This should be the week where he keeps them all in a motel and living boot camp style.  No Brady flying off to NYC for shopping trips with the wife.
    Posted by ipot

Yeah, and I am pretty sure it's the same one that won by 1 TD after their first TD was gift wrapped by that bonehead muffed punt in the 1st quarter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft:
         No doubt...that's how Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed, Ray Rice, John Harbaugh, and the rest of the Buzzards see the Pats. After bullying Brady and the Boys, 33-14, two years ago in Foxboro, they come into this game with a bully's mentality. It's up to the Pats to knock that chip off their shoulder, and reclaim their manhood...that was taken from them during that playoff loss.       For those of you who have forgotten, the Ravens kicked sand in the Patriots' face by scoring on their very first play from scrimmage...an 83 yard TD run by an untouched Ray Rice...right over Vince Wilfolk. The Buzzards went on to outscore the Pats, 24-0, in the first quarter, alone. Here's a summary of perhaps the worst, most embarrassing quarter of football, in Patriots' history: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=300110017      For the game, here are a few stats to chew on: 1.) Passing Game:      a.) Ravens' QB Joe Flacco completed just 4 of 10 passes, for 34 yards, and a pick. He finished with a passing rating of 10.      b.) Tom Brady completed 23 of 42 passes for a paultry 154 yards, 2 TDs, 3 interceptions, and a passer rating of 49.1; 2.) Running Game:      a.) Ray Rice rushed for 159 yards, and scored 2 TDs, on 22 carries.      b.) Kevin Faulk was the Pats' leading rushere, with 52 yards on 14 carries; 3.) Defensive "Highlights":      a.) Ray Lewis had 13 tackles, and a sack. For the game, Tom Brady was sacked three times, and lost a fumble. Ed Reed Duwan Landry, and Chris Carr intercepted Brady;      b.) After getting run over on the 83 yard Ray Rice run, Vince Wilfolk finished with 13 tackles, including 9 solos. Flacco was not sacked.          Here are the rest of the gruesome stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300110017      Don't believe that the Ravens think that the Pats are a bunch of sissies? Check out these comments...and it's only Monday: 1.) Ed Reed: “We’re coming and they know it,” Reed said about the Patriots: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/15/early-signs-for-ed-reed-look-promising/ ; 2.) Ray Lewis: “Bill (Belichick) and Tom Brady know they’re definitely going to see a totally different team,” said Ray Lewis , who wore his Super Bowl ring after the game. “We’re not the Denver Broncos.” 3.) Terrell Suggs: “Tom Brady... He’s good looking..."They’re a good-looking team. We’re not a good-looking team.” 4.) Ray Rice: “If they don’t play their best game, they’ll get beat." (The last 3 quotes from: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/baltimore-ravens-face-england-patriots-afc-championship-beat-houston-texans-20-13-article-1.1006458 ).      Here's more: This, from the Ravens' Fan Forum, after the 33-14 win:                                      Nuff said.                    
    Posted by TexasPat

Well, clearly that picture is from Suggs' own personal collection. When it comes to man crushes, his does a grand leap from the closet.

I find it funny that Ed Reed is so certain that The Pats know they are coming. You're the next team they play. If they didn't watch the entire Houston game because you couldn't put away this rookie led team until the last minute, I am pretty sure someone from the league offices would have called them.

"Umm, Bill? Yeah, Rog. Hey, about next week - you know that you are playing the Ravens, right? Oh, you did? Great. Just wanted to make sure. Have a marginally decent game in a failing effort. Go Jets."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

i think the ravens respect the patriots....its all gamesmanship...BB and brady show their lust for ray lewis and ed reed while the ravens show their respect for brady and the pats offense
    Posted by redsoxfan94

No way. I still remember Bart Scott throwing a tirade, and getting kicked out of the game in 2007 in Baltimore...and WR Derrick Mason whining about how the refs gave the game to the Patriots, and spygate.

The Ravens are jealous of the Patriots' success, and hate them. The Patriots' players know this...and know about all the trash talk and hoofing it up, when the Ravens crushed the Pats in 2009, 33-14. Now is the time to exact their revenge. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft :      No way. I still remember Bart Scott throwing a tirade, and getting kicked out of the game in 2007 in Baltimore...and WR Derrick Mason whining about how the refs gave the game to the Patriots, and spygate.      The Ravens are jealous of the Patriots' success, and hate them. The Patriots' players know this...and know about all the trash talk and hoofing it up, when the Ravens crushed the Pats in 2009, 33-14. Now is the time to exact their revenge. 
    Posted by TexasPat

True. I was at that game and the Ravens could have won, but like every other year, they imploded because they lack emotional maturity. And the whole landslide was set off by Rexy's time out on 4th and 1.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The media is dogging the Patriots for not beating a team over .500. Funny thing happened on the way to the ball.

Most of the team NE beat had over.500 records, not our problem they ended up .500.

I think the Crows are overrated with a suspect offense, and old defense that played a rookie QB yesterday, with a dumba$$$ punt returner. They were 4-4 on the road losing to hapless Jax, and Sea. And got busted by SD.

I'm not taking the Crows lightly, but they are the overated team, as they showed against the Texans. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The media is dogging the Patriots for not beating a team over .500. Funnt thing happened on the way tto the ball. Most of the team NE beat had over.500 records, not our problem they ended up .500. I think the Crows are overrated with a suspect offense, and old defense that played a rookie QB yesterday, with a dumba$$$ punt returner. They were 4-4 on the road losing to hapless Jax, and Sea. And got busted by SD. I'm not taking the Crows lightly, but they are the overated team, as they showed against the Texans. 
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Actually, it is the Pats problem. If they had only lost to these poor unfortunate teams, we'd have 6 more teams with winning records.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Posted by jcour382

I'm with you man. I thought the Pats D was the most physical I have seen it all year. I am sure we will have a beefy protection sceam for Tom to get the passes off and maybe sneek in a run or two. Also I am waiting for them to unleash Solder when he is in as an eligable receiver for blocking and go out for a pass in the endzone when there are in the redzone!

Go Pats and beat the ug;iest team in the NFL!!!!! :)

P.s. That picture is funny though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft : Actually, it is the Pats problem. If they had only lost to these poor unfortunate teams, we'd have 6 more teams with winning records.
    Posted by EnochRoot

Doesn't matter to the talking heads.  At the time the Pats played the teams on their schedule, 7 of them had winning records, (did not count the first Miami game) so, as you put it, we have to apologize the Pats contributed to these teams' failure to achieve a winning record at the end of the season?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Ravens Think Patriots Are Overrated, and Soft : I'm with you man. I thought the Pats D was the most physical I have seen it all year. I am sure we will have a beefy protection sceam for Tom to get the passes off and maybe sneek in a run or two. Also I am waiting for them to unleash Solder when he is in as an eligable receiver for blocking and go out for a pass in the endzone when there are in the redzone! Go Pats and beat the ug;iest team in the NFL!!!!! :) P.s. That picture is funny though.
    Posted by raptor64d

Also the dirtiest team in the NFL, with the likes of Suggs, Ray Lewis, and cheap-shot artist, Bernard Pollard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Most of the team NE beat had over.500 records, not our problem they ended up .500. 
    Posted by kansaspatriot

This feeds into my personal theory that once the Pats beat someone, other teams scout the game to see how they did it so the beaten team continues to get beaten (a notable recent example is Denver this year - after the Pats beat them, they didn't win again until the Steelers got too cocky). Its like other coaches piggyback off of BB's game planning. 

Talk about spygate!

Sections
Shortcuts