Ravens try to solidify O-line. Jax already in rebuild mode.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Ravens try to solidify O-line. Jax already in rebuild mode.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254395/article/jaguars-trade-eugene-monroe-to-ravens-for-draft-picks

Ravens trading away draft picks for winning  this year. Jax has given up on this season. MAybe at least if they want to fill seats and recoup some money they should bring Tebow in until they draft a QB next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Re: Ravens try to solidify O-line. Jax already in rebuild mode.

That'll be steal for them if they can get him to resign after the season. Good move.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

Looks like the Jaguars have started their fire sale.....Who do they have as a NT....maybe they'll make a trade with us

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They'll probably be moving MJD somewhere, you'd assume. Old guy, limited future, why not get something for him at this point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Maybe we can get Tyson Alualu from them for cheap. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

This move is so BB-ian it is humorous that Harvey doesnt see it. The details of the trade are unknown, but ASchefter reported that the Ravens are sending multiple third-day picks for Monroe. That means fourth round or later, which doesn't hurt the Ravens much because they should gain third-day compensatory picks for Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe, Ed Reed and Cary Williams. When you look at the big picture, a good move becomes shrewd.

Ravens making the playoffs this year while rebuilding on the fly....pure BB

Ozzie laying in the weeds!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If those little tools in jax had a brain they would have brought Tebow in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Maybe we can get Tyson Alualu from them for cheap. 

I was gonna say that exact same thing! Hope they look into it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Give it up Russ. You can have it both ways, and people have long being seeing through your propaganda here. I don't think the situation the Ravens were in (before acquiring Monroe) was any different than the situation we are currently in by losing VW. The difference is...Ozzie decided to do something about it now, give his team the best possible chance. How can that be considered a bad move? Meanwhile, your boyfriend is going to plug the big hole with a bunch of castoffs and UDFAs. 

So one is considered desperate and a bad move, and the other is considered brilliant? 

sounds fishy. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

In response to jaxpat's comment:

Looks like the Jaguars have started their fire sale.....Who do they have as a NT....maybe they'll make a trade with us

Trade for Kyle Love?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Give it up Russ. You can have it both ways, and people have long being seeing through your propaganda here. I don't think the situation the Ravens were in (before acquiring Monroe) was any different than the situation we are currently in by losing VW. The difference is...Ozzie decided to do something about it now, give his team the best possible chance. How can that be considered a bad move? Meanwhile, your boyfriend is going to plug the big hole with a bunch of castoffs and UDFAs. 

So one is considered desperate and a bad move, and the other is considered brilliant? 

sounds fishy. 

What? Trading for your 20 mil per QB's blindside protector midseason is good management?

bawaahah!

Why don't YOU give up?  Monroe was a bust/disappointment in Jax. That O Line has sucked and has been their main problem protecting whichever QB they use.  WHy do you think went Tackle in the draft? By accident?  8th overall pick in 2009 is AVERAGE and can't even get a second deal?  8th overall.  Read it and weep.  Sucks for where he was drafted.

Makes Vollmer look like a future HOFer.

It's not "fishy" at all.  What will you do if Balt loses to Miami and drops to 2-3? Call it fishy, too?

Were we trading for cornerstone pieces after a SB season, mid season?  Wake up.  Balt should be 1-3 right now and they're luck they're not.

The Ravens weren't in a cap hell swapping out such a large part of their roster overnight and that's how our strategic position was this offseason?  You sure about that, Lifer?

Please go away with your awful counters. They're terrible.  

Pitt and NYGs 0-4 due to poor cap management. I predicted they'd miss the playoffs two years in a row, Balt to finish 9-7 and to miss the playoffs this year and next.

Enjoy!

Why did they trade in mid-season for an OT to protect Flacco? Didn't they have a LT to start the season? 

You missed the point wonderboy. The point being that Ozzie is willing to make trades to benefit his team NOW, not limp by with some UDFA's to fill a probowl void. I'm not saying Monroe is all world, but he represented the best option for them now, and he came at a cheap price (late round draft picks). 

Honestly, I expected BB to be putting out feelers on DT's as soon as VW went down to try and solidify the now porous line. The best way to have managed this situation would have been not to get into it in the first place...ie, draft a big interior DT which is what 99% of this board called for prior to the draft. He hasn't built good depth on the dline. He put too much stock in an FA out of Canada, and 2 older DT's. Behind them, there is no one. Vellano has been decent, but other than that, there is nobody behind Kelly at the moment. 

WHat's your solution? go with what we have at DT, or make a trade to acquire a DT? Ozzie took the latter route, which you can argue the validity of this all day, but he had to. Whether BB "has to" now given VW went down is something to argue about. I believe he should and has to. Otherwise you are going to see some exploitation of the middle of this defense like we haven't seen in years with VW at the helm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

sounds fishy. 

What? Trading for your 20 mil per QB's blindside protector midseason is good management?

bawaahah!

Why don't YOU give up?  Monroe was a bust/disappointment in Jax. That O Line has sucked and has been their main problem protecting whichever QB they use.  WHy do you think went Tackle in the draft? By accident?  8th overall pick in 2009 is AVERAGE and can't even get a second deal?  8th overall.  Read it and weep.  Sucks for where he was drafted.

Makes Vollmer look like a future HOFer.

It's not "fishy" at all.  What will you do if Balt loses to Miami and drops to 2-3? Call it fishy, too?

Were we trading for cornerstone pieces after a SB season, mid season?  Wake up.  Balt should be 1-3 right now and they're luck they're not.

The Ravens weren't in a cap hell swapping out such a large part of their roster overnight and that's how our strategic position was this offseason?  You sure about that, Lifer?

Please go away with your awful counters. They're terrible.  

Pitt and NYGs 0-4 due to poor cap management. I predicted they'd miss the playoffs two years in a row, Balt to finish 9-7 and to miss the playoffs this year and next.

Enjoy!

Why did they trade in mid-season for an OT to protect Flacco? Didn't they have a LT to start the season? 

You missed the point wonderboy. The point being that Ozzie is willing to make trades to benefit his team NOW, not limp by with some UDFA's to fill a probowl void. I'm not saying Monroe is all world, but he represented the best option for them now, and he came at a cheap price (late round draft picks). 

Honestly, I expected BB to be putting out feelers on DT's as soon as VW went down to try and solidify the now porous line. The best way to have managed this situation would have been not to get into it in the first place...ie, draft a big interior DT which is what 99% of this board called for prior to the draft. He hasn't built good depth on the dline. He put too much stock in an FA out of Canada, and 2 older DT's. Behind them, there is no one. Vellano has been decent, but other than that, there is nobody behind Kelly at the moment. 

WHat's your solution? go with what we have at DT, or make a trade to acquire a DT? Ozzie took the latter route, which you can argue the validity of this all day, but he had to. Whether BB "has to" now given VW went down is something to argue about. I believe he should and has to. Otherwise you are going to see some exploitation of the middle of this defense like we haven't seen in years with VW at the helm.

1. You have no idea what BB is doing.   I would imagine a LT is a bit more important than a reserve DT, Cork.  Ugh.

2. BB traded for Talib last year, mid season. So, you lose there.

3. They may very well like Vellano as a starter and 6th rd pick Jones's work so far with the idea of Chandler Jones kicking inside with more BUchanan on the outside as a starter.

You keep mocking BB for having supposed hacks here, but Vellano and Buchanan have impressed, regardless of WHERE they were picked.

Finally, this was a deep DT draft this year, so a 6th rd pick Jones may not be as void of talent as you are implying.

Renting Eugene Monroe for a year out of desperation is not sound management AT ALL.

If we lost Solder and didn't have a Cannon or a Vollmer to slide over and BB was trading for bust LTs, you tools would be all over him here.

Finally, I stated my solution on my last post and suggested the strategy of waiting until MORE teams fall way out of race.

1. There are a lot of bad teams who botched the post cap CBA situation which is why there are so many poorly built teams. Now, it's time to use that as leverage.

2.  Wait until more teams get worse and start firesaling, all but telling their fans they are selling out the year and going into mini rebuild mode, and take your pick.

Just because BB doesn't knee jerk a move for you tools so you can sleep under that blankie soundly at night doesn't mean there is no plan or approach on the table.

Ugh.

The move last year with Talib was brilliant. I would have puked again if he sent Edelman into the secondary or signed another fry cook from Burger King. 

I'm not saying he hasn't inquired around the league. We don't know for sure. But I am suggesting he do exactly what he did last year with Talib and make a trade for a DT. I agree that as the season goes on, as more teams fall out, he should have his pick of DTs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

This move is so BB-ian it is humorous that Harvey doesnt see it. The details of the trade are unknown, but ASchefter reported that the Ravens are sending multiple third-day picks for Monroe. That means fourth round or later, which doesn't hurt the Ravens much because they should gain third-day compensatory picks for Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe, Ed Reed and Cary Williams. When you look at the big picture, a good move becomes shrewd.

LOL!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That'll be steal for them if they can get him to resign after the season. Good move.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

He sucks.  A steal? It's called outright desperation and they're in cap hell, so they won't be signing anyone.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't suck though...Profootball Focus ranked him 10th best LT in the NFL in 2012 which is pretty good considering he played on a horrible Jax team, who rotated 4 guys at LG last year. He's only 26, played 65 out of a possible 68 games, and hasn't even entered his prime yet...I say sending a 4th and a 5th in 2014 for this guy is a steal IF they resign him. Say all you want but we all know you cannot give credit to other teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Shocking that the biggest washer on the forum swooped in 2 minutes after this thread was created and has not left since.

Yes queenie, everyone that wasn't drafted by BB sucks. Except Brady of course bwahahaha

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

More like Ozzie crapping his pants standing over the toilet.   You probably do that once a week, you're so dumb.

Multiple picks for a team that needs them desperately due to poor drafts recently, cap hell, a poor pipeline and all for a rental draft bust in Monroe?

bahwahhaha

I don't understand it? LOL!!!  Cannot be made up. A scrambling, panicky GM is a good GM per RKrap and Cupcake.

Classic!

When Baltimore does not win the SB this year, I'll be here to remind you how dumb it was to rent draft bust Eugene Monroe because your pipeline development on the O Line has been so poor.

This is dumb on so many levels. Monroe isn't a draft bust, this move was good, and the Ravens aren't gonna win the Superbowl anyways. Monroe isn't gonna play wideout or solve their defensive problems. He isn't gonna play QB. I don't know why you imply their lack of OLine as a reason they won't win the SB when there is clearly bigger problems on their team than that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

How did you counter what I said above? You didn't, so don't say "it's dumb on so many levels" and then not expand on why it is.

Jax needs ALL the OL help they can get, is well under the cap floor due by 2015, and they drafted Joeckel #2 overall to essentially replace Monroe next year. Why? They were disappointed with Monroe, the 8th overall pick in 2009. So, Monroe, gets no second deal.

If you are not giving a top 10 pick a second deal, he's a bust. Period. 

Pretending a disappointment in Jax and now a rental in Baltimore out of desperation mid season is a good move with a team in cap hell and flat cap in 2014, is flat out moronic.

Monroe is in the driver's seat. He will not sign a new deal, will hit FA and some team or two will pounce easily outbidding anything Balt can offer.

Case closed.

PS Jax doesn't need a WR. They need an OL that can pass block so their QB doesn't get killed when dropping back.

Ironic Monroe is not in their plans, huh?

Vollmer was in ours as a 2nd rd pick in 2009.

Or, perhaps it is because there is a completely new regime in Jacksonville from 2009 and they want to build their own team. They know they're going nowhere in the next few years so why not build from the ground up? Isn't that what you were just discussing over on the Schiano thread? You had quite a different tone on that thread, I wonder if it has anything to do with Schiano being friends with BB. Lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He sucks.  A steal? It's called outright desperation and they're in cap hell, so they won't be signing anyone.

He doesn't suck though...Profootball Focus ranked him 10th best LT in the NFL in 2012 which is pretty good considering he played on a horrible Jax team, who rotated 4 guys at LG last year. He's only 26, played 65 out of a possible 68 games, and hasn't even entered his prime yet...I say sending a 4th and a 5th in 2014 for this guy is a steal IF they resign him. Say all you want but we all know you cannot give credit to other teams.

He's a middle of the road LT and led an awful OL. This is like saying BRandon Albert is a good LT.

lol

He was an 8th overall pick.  

Why do I need to "give credit" to other teams when someone like Marcus Cannon, a 5th rd pick, could easily do what Eugene Monroe does?

Why did Jax not resign him and draft Joeckel then?   LOL!

Translation?   Monroe was a disappointment for a top 10 pick. I don't care where Pro Football Focus had him ranked last year.  The fact is, if you aren't a top notch LT by year 4 in this league, you'll never be.  Jax knew it and didn't want to get hosed when he went to FA. Simple.

Go ask a Jags fan what they think of Monroe. Monroe will be asking for top Tackle money and Baltimore will struggle to resign him. Renting a LT for half a season is outright desperation.

Please learn economics before mouthing off. The concept is about teambuilding. Or leverage. Monroe will say "hey you traded for me" and some other team needing a LT to get to the cap floor, will open the checkbook. Trading multiple picks for a rental is moronic.

If we seriously drafted two LTs in the last 5 years in the top 10, this board would blow up.

if they wish, Ravens can franchise him 2 years running, so he is not a rental. they can contol him for 2.5 years if they wish and they stole him for two 3rd day picks. top 10 LT.

rebuild while making the playoffs

brilliant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

More like Ozzie crapping his pants standing over the toilet.   You probably do that once a week, you're so dumb.

Multiple picks for a team that needs them desperately due to poor drafts recently, cap hell, a poor pipeline and all for a rental draft bust in Monroe?

bahwahhaha

I don't understand it? LOL!!!  Cannot be made up. A scrambling, panicky GM is a good GM per RKrap and Cupcake.

Classic!

When Baltimore does not win the SB this year, I'll be here to remind you how dumb it was to rent draft bust Eugene Monroe because your pipeline development on the O Line has been so poor.

This is dumb on so many levels. Monroe isn't a draft bust, this move was good, and the Ravens aren't gonna win the Superbowl anyways. Monroe isn't gonna play wideout or solve their defensive problems. He isn't gonna play QB. I don't know why you imply their lack of OLine as a reason they won't win the SB when there is clearly bigger problems on their team than that.

[/QUOTE]

How did you counter what I said above? You didn't, so don't say "it's dumb on so many levels" and then not expand on why it is.

Jax needs ALL the OL help they can get, is well under the cap floor due by 2015, and they drafted Joeckel #2 overall to essentially replace Monroe next year. Why? They were disappointed with Monroe, the 8th overall pick in 2009. So, Monroe, gets no second deal.

If you are not giving a top 10 pick a second deal, he's a bust. Period. 

Pretending a disappointment in Jax and now a rental in Baltimore out of desperation mid season is a good move with a team in cap hell and flat cap in 2014, is flat out moronic.

Monroe is in the driver's seat. He will not sign a new deal, will hit FA and some team or two will pounce easily outbidding anything Balt can offer.

Case closed.

PS Jax doesn't need a WR. They need an OL that can pass block so their QB doesn't get killed when dropping back.

Ironic Monroe is not in their plans, huh?

Vollmer was in ours as a 2nd rd pick in 2009.

[/QUOTE]

Why are you acting like you know what Jax is thinking? You really think a regime like Jax knows what they're doing? The same team that is bottom of the barrel, 10 years atleast from ever being a contender, and a staff that won't admit that Gabbert shouldn't be starting. They are horrible for a reason. Monroe was their best player behind MJD. What they need is a QB. A bust is Gholston not Monroe. Get over yourself and figure out other teams can make good moves. It's not called "desperation".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

He's a middle of the road LT and led an awful OL. This is like saying BRandon Albert is a good LT.

lol

Why do I need to "give credit" to other teams when someone like Marcus Cannon, a 5th rd pick, could easily do what Eugene Monroe does?

Translation?   Monroe was a disappointment for a top 10 pick. I don't care where Pro Football Focus had him ranked last year.  The fact is, if you aren't a top notch LT by year 4 in this league, you'll never be.  Jax knew it and didn't want to get hosed when he went to FA. Simple.

Go ask a Jags fan what they think of Monroe. Monroe will be asking for top Tackle money and Baltimore will struggle to resign him. Renting a LT for half a season is outright desperation.

Please learn economics before mouthing off. The concept is about teambuilding. Or leverage. Monroe will say "hey you traded for me" and some other team needing a LT to get to the cap floor, will open the checkbook. Trading multiple picks for a rental is moronic.

If we seriously drafted two LTs in the last 5 years in the top 10, this board would blow up.

if they wish, Ravens can franchise him 2 years running, so he is not a rental. they can contol him for 2.5 years if they wish and they stole him for two 3rd day picks. top 10 LT.

brilliant.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. A fact for some reason that someone we know casually doesn't mention. 

Its like no other team in the league can make a good move. For if they do, it chips away at the brilliance of BB.yes, bb makes good moves all the time, and is a good GM, but so is Ozzie. Didn't the birds just win a SB? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

lol

brilliant.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. A fact for some reason that someone we know casually doesn't mention. 

Its like no other team in the league can make a good move. For if they do, it chips away at the brilliance of BB.yes, bb makes good moves all the time, and is a good GM, but so is Ozzie. Didn't the birds just win a SB? 

[/QUOTE]

look, I think Ozzie made a mistake to begin with by resigning McKinnie. It didnt work. I like that Ozzie went out and got Monroe for two 3rd day draft choices. Ozzie can play him the rest of the year and see if he is a top 10 LT for the Ravens system or not. Ozzie had the 4 additional draft choices because of the compensation picks. (Reed, Ellerbee, Williams, Kruger). If Monroe, at 26 years old is legit, Ozzie can control him for 2 more years via the franchise tag, or sign him to a new contract, or walk away after the next 12 games...I simply do not see any down side to Ozzies move, and it might take the Ravens into the play offs again where anything can happen.

I dont get the Jags thought process however. It seems the guy calling the shots is the owners son, who is a real stat head, on the cutting edge of metrics in football. He did put out some real interesting stats on Gabbert, showing that taking out drops he had a reasonable completion percentage, and looking only at throws where Gabbert had time to throw, he put up pretty good completion percentages. I understood giving him another look this year, with next years QB draft choices much better than this years options. I can also understand they dont want to pay Monroe and Joeckel while rebuilding. But compared to the Levi Brown trade, why didnt they get more for Monroe, who is rated higher than Brown?

Jags will be interesting to watch down the road. Bradley is a Carrol guy, and Carrol turned the roster over in 2-3 years. Bradley is 39 years old and is known for his defensive coaching. Lets give it 3 years and see how it plays out...  

Sections
Shortcuts